• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Slayven

No one talking about Crusader? Crusader was a skrull that came to earth to prep for the invasion. He took the form of a black dude, instead of doing his job he played video games and watched tv all day, then spent the rest of the time banging white chicks.

When I read he is origin, I thought " this is some real stuff right here".

qcf x2

And Kuzan will always be the most badass black guy in manga history IMO...

Kuzan.jpg

What about Tousen from Bleach? My dude had some style for not being able to see. And who did his hair? There were only 2 other black characters.

Oh, and PaRappa was Mexican. I think. Pretty sure.

Air

Banned
I loved static shock.Yeah he kind of looked like a bum from time to time (should have shaved off the dreads), but there were like no interesting black superhero's who were on t.v at the time.

I'm static shocked at the opinion here :O

Derwind

So I'm guessing no one has watched Dance Fu or Case Départ(Thomas N'Gijol looks exactly like my uncle, sadly the uncle I dislike but the actors funny as hell)

What about Tousen from Bleach? My dude had some style for not being able to see. And who did his hair? There were only 2 other black characters.

Oh, and PaRappa was Mexican. I think. Pretty sure.

I quit Bleach halfway, Kubo trolled me to the point of disinterest... but yes Tousen was badass, Bankai was awesome as well... removing the sense's and what not...

Imm0rt4l

I quit watching bleach after the first 100 episodes or something(05 or 06?). Quit the manga a few volumes deep after that, I didn't see it really getting better for me. But I've kinda been partial to seinen stfuff. Shonen arcs are pretty formulaic.

Derwind

I quit watching bleach after the first 100 episodes or something(05 or 06?). Quit the manga a few volumes deep after that, I didn't see it really getting better for me. But I've kinda been partial to seinen stfuff. Shonen arcs are pretty formulaic.

Truer words were never spoken.

ReiGun

Aizen's trolling was the only good part of Bleach for the longest.

Main character is attacking? Stop his music.

My headquarters is being invaded? Time for tea.

Everyone is attacking me? Lol it was really Hinamori.

Ichigo's powerless friends are confronting me? Spend entire chapter chasing them when I could find them in seconds.

And of course, his smirk game was on point.

Aizen_by_Vampirella87.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Aizen's trolling was the only good part of Bleach for the longest.

Main character is attacking? Stop his music.

My headquarters is being invaded? Time for tea.

Everyone is attacking me? Lol it was really Hinamori.

Ichigo's powerless friends are confronting me? Spend entire chapter chasing them when I could find them in seconds.

And of course, his smirk game was on point.

Aizen_by_Vampirella87.jpg
Yes, everything from your birth to you standing before me today was all a part of my plan.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Whoa, so I disappear, and ash squirtles blackness is in question, adams bad assness is brought up, people hate on static despite him being awesome, pokemons jemima is embraced, and aizen is brought up? Damn, I missed a party. What about ichigos fits or the embarrassing shit that goes on with eyeshields panther?

FreeMufasa

Whoa, so I disappear, and ash squirtles blackness is in question, adams bad assness is brought up, people hate on static despite him being awesome, pokemons jemima is embraced, and aizen is brought up? Damn, I missed a party. What about ichigos fits or the embarrassing shit that goes on with eyeshields panther?

The best discussions always happen when i'm sleeping =(

Speaking of Naruto, before the Cloud village was introduced, I used to think Kiba was the desginated black person. Which sucked cause he's like the worst ninja ever.

There's a black ninja village?!? I feel so outta the loop. I gotta get back on my Naruto, was towards the end of the first show (before shippuden?)

The quality was starting to slip after a fantastic first 100 or so episodes (can't remember exactly). Does the quality jump back up for the sequel series?

Onemic

*resurrects from the dead*

I stopped reading Naruto manga ages ago, that Sasuke punk always pissed me off, same with Naruto because he never took care of business

Tell me someone watches something other than the big 3
Even back in my 90%+ black High school, we all watched naruto and bleach
and by all I mean 5% of us

No one ever gives One Piece love even though it's the best of the big 3...
That's because
not enough powerlevels
it's not MATURE enough for them
It's easily the silliest and most light-hearted
If you grew up watching fighting shows like DBZ and Ruroni Kenshin and naruto and then try to watch one piece
You'll probably drop one piece
I dropped it a long time ago, I read it now
No one has time for a 2:30 opening, a 1 minute preamble, a 2 minute flashback, its 6 minutes in before the actual new episode starts

Static Shock? ha I remember that as a Saturday morning cartoon, hated it

it's interesting to me that the character got a Saturday morning cartoon. when did this come about? the comic ran in 1993. not sure for how long.

I would have rather seen a cartoon about Hardware or Blood Syndicate...but again, those were some pretty ill comics.

Static Shock kinda surprised me the first time I seen it. First episode had a gang fight and one dude brought a gun with him. That was my first time seeing something like that in a cartoon.

DominoKid

Tell me someone watches something other than the big 3
Even back in my 90%+ black High school, we all watched naruto and bleach
and by all I mean 5% of us

i used to watch damn near any and everything i could get my hands on. but since im in college anime/manga became my secret hobby after a few of my friends walked in on me watching Durarara and started clowning. that and i dont have as much time to blow on it.

so Bleach is the only manga i actively keep up with.
i keep up w/ Naruto spoilers so I know what's going on but I stopped reading after
Naruto vs Pein
One Piece...i just never liked.
i always thought Shaman King would be the huge success instead of One Piece tbh

FreeMufasa

Every person i've introduced to One Piece have gotten hooked, especially the Naruto/Bleach/DBZ fans. I have to be careful with it nowdays because it usually means I won't see that person for a month of two.

I saw the first episode awhile back, and I don't remember much of it. All I know is that I did not stay for the second.

I'm so sure most of you guys would love it. In fact, anyone that watches the first 100 episodes and says they don't like it, i'll paypal them £20. 100 episodes is a lot but i'll set the mark there.

To prevent satchwar giving me a knee to the face (lol), I should clarify that I thought the comic was cool (from what I remember of it), but the show was not so cool.

Please don't hurt me haha.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
he did get a redesign later on to fit in with the crossovers. he wasnt always sporting baggy pants. but the story declined with the changes(along with the theme song)

kris fucking anka, everybody

dude's a pretty great designer

the glowing trails are very similar to blaqualad. was this done before or after?

To prevent satchwar giving me a knee to the face (lol), I should clarify that I thought the comic was cool (from what I remember of it), but the show was not so cool.

Please don't hurt me haha.

I've only seen the show which was one of my favorite things growing up. I'll just kick you in the leg instead of a knee to the face.

Top Bottom