• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Imm0rt4l

Plus all his music is hip-hop in SA2, right? At the very least, his most famous tune is Pumpkin Hill.

I ain't gonna let it get to me, I'm jus' gon' creep...

Maybe thats why the guy tried to convince me, I haven't played any sonic games past sonic 3 and knuckles extensively, figured none of em' were worth my time. His theme in sonic and knuckles did sound very afrobeat-esque though.

knuckles is black just like piccolo is.

in your heart you know it's true.

This is true.

knuckles is black just like piccolo is.

in your heart you know it's true.
I'm gonna need some supporting evidence.
Maybe thats why the guy tried to convince me, I haven't played any sonic games past sonic 3 and knuckles extensively, figured none of em' were worth my time. His theme in sonic and knuckles did sound very afrobeat-esque though.

While I'm not going to try and convince you that Sonic games have gotten better, I will say that Sonic Generations gets my vote for Soundtrack of the Year...possibly this gen, too.

Imm0rt4l

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC_pDHf9zGk

Unfortunately Wendy Williams narrates. Blegh.

I remember seeing that vid of her vs Mr. Marcus. Marcus lost that one. I think I recall hearing she was at one point going to marry bill maher.

I'm gonna need some supporting evidence.

While I'm not going to try and convince you that Sonic games have gotten better, I will say that Sonic Generations gets my vote for Soundtrack of the Year...possibly this gen, too.

Is it similar to sonic 3 and knuckles? Those sdtks are gdlk.

qcf x2

I'll just put a webcam in my bedroom. Haha just kidding.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum, lol

ME3 could be worse in terms of black aesthetics. Which reminds me, I think there are maybe 2 black characters in Japanese fighting games that don't have especially weird/bad haircuts, Eddie and Sean. Everybody else? Raven, Dudley, balrog, zack, bruce, these guys must've all had the same barber.

Bob Wilson (Fatal Fury 3), Elena, Lucky Glauber (KoF 96)

On the bad side you can add Khushnood Butt, Birdie, Heavy D . Fuck you Japan :mad:

Imm0rt4l

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayum, lol

Bob Wilson (Fatal Fury 3), Elena, Lucky Glauber (KoF 96)

On the bad side you can add Khushnood Butt, Birdie, Heavy D . Fuck you Japan :mad:

I'll grant you bob wilson, I kinda disregarded snk games, but they've done alright as far as portayal, Lucky Glauber though? That shit aint original, and Elena is just as big of an offender as vanessa from vf5 in that they're cool looking/fighting characters but still atypical looking. A platinum blonde blue eyed red bone african.

Dudley is a brother, right? I've never been too sure.

Yep.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'll grant you bob wilson, I kinda disregarded snk games, but they've done alright as far as portayal, Lucky Glauber though? That shit aint original, and Elena is just as big of an offender as vanessa from vf5. A platinum blonde blue eyed red bone african, ok?

they havent given elena the cake soap like they have vanessa though

vf4

virtua-fighter-sega-39402-8093-2.jpg

vf5

Vanessa_VF5.jpg

Imm0rt4l

they havent given elena the cake soap like they have vanessa though

vf4

http://www.arcade-game-sales.com/products/images/virtua-fighter-sega-39402-8093-2.jpg[IMG]

vf5

[IMG]http://www.play-mag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Vanessa_VF5.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Dat Beyoncefication, soon Vanessa won't be black in the fans eyes anymore, just like Christie.

Imm0rt4l

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwfooWHxymk

isn't he indian? south asian, not native american.

Nah he's black

http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2012/03/03_sfxtmodels30.jpg

He's based off of the boxer Chris Eubank.

images

Street Fighter seems to be largely based on stereotypes(flattering or not), Rufus a fat american, ryu a japanese karateka, dhalsim an indian yoga master etc. Dudley just happens to be a very stereotypical Englishman who is a boxer, since boxing originated there.

The fuck I didn't know he was black...

It certainly didn't reflect that way to me in the manga nor the anime...

Really? I always felt like Piccolo was a bad ass black dude. Irked me though how he would get stronger but then "nah we gotta punk his ass out and have Goku save the day, again."

This white women choose black men video is dumb is fuck. There are some cultural differences but everyone is an individual. I sent this video to my GF I want to see what she says.

Wow. Never thought of Piccolo as a brother. It kind of makes sense though.

Also VF5 Vanessa > *

MWS Natural said:
This white women choose black men video is dumb is fuck. There are some cultural differences but everyone is an individual. I sent this video to my GF I want to see what she says.

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Air

Banned
Surprised you guys didn't think Piccolo was black. Aside from mr. Popos blatant ass, Piccolo always seemed like he was a brother pressed for time.

Derwind

Really? I always felt like Piccolo was a bad ass black dude. Irked me though how he would get stronger but then "nah we gotta punk his ass out and have Goku save the day, again."

Well he was bad ass that's for sure.

I know I'll be frowned upon but I always thought Mr. Popo was black. Or at least what Japanese audience imagined us black people looked like.

Air, why u ninja'd me?

qcf x2

Yeah, Piccolo is black. He was bald and the baddest man on the planet for a good while. Also his people were enslaved...fuck it, we claim him even when no one else will :(

This is going to sound really weird but the fact that he also wore purple (since I saw this shit in the 90s) kind of cemented it for me.

i cant help but shake my head at the dudes saying she shouldn't expose them because they might have a wife or gf.

Yeah those dudes get no sympathy from me.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It was pretty clear Piccolo was a brah I thought, he almost made up for the racism that was Mr. Popo. Almost.
That's pretty much how I feel. Mr. Popo was blatant as fuck. No getting around that.

The way that corner of the world portray us sometime... I was initially mad as hell about Sazh. What self-respecting black man would travel the world with a bird living in his hair? But I got over it... They did him solid.

That's pretty much how I feel. Mr. Popo was blatant as fuck. No getting around that.

The way that corner of the world portray us sometime... I was initially mad as hell about Sazh. What self-respecting black man would travel the world with a bird living in his hair? But I got over it... They did him solid.

How the hell he manages to keep his hair free of bird shit must be remarkable.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
<--- Is Parappa black?

He's either black, or a "Pretty Fly For a White Guy" 90s wannabe kid from the suburbs. Thoughts?

Top Bottom