• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Onemic

So much truth in this, being a Nigerian i can attest to how Nigerian parents (especially Igbo's) treat their kids. btw I was reading an article a while ago and it said that Nigerian's are the most educated racial group in the United States, so much for Asians being the smartest people lol.

Not surprising at all. Nigerians get on their kids case for not getting straight A's like no other.

You should see this guy in the Trayvon thread.

An insidious little creep, like Baconsammy.

Who's the new contrarian?

EDIT: Oh, I know who you're talking about. He's been doing it for quite some time now.

Not surprising at all. Nigerians get on their kids case for not getting straight A's like no other.

When i was back home i got 50 strokes if i did not ace my class, Nigerian parents (Yoruba's and Igbo's especially) don't fuck around when it comes to education. I just wish people will recognize that Africans are smart, here are some excerpts of the article.

Although they make up a tiny portion of the U.S. population, a whopping 17 percent of all Nigerians in this country held master's degrees while 4 percent had a doctorate, according to the American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. In addition, 37 percent had bachelor's degrees.
To put those numbers in perspective, 8 percent of the white population in the U.S. had master's degrees, according to the Census survey. And 1 percent held doctorates. About 19 percent of white residents had bachelor's degrees. Asians come closer to the Nigerians with 12 percent holding master's degrees and 3 percent having doctorates.

Bleepey

Who's the new contrarian?

EDIT: Oh, I know who you're talking about. He's been doing it for quite some time now.

I was allowed to get away with Bs and it bred complacency in some ways, with my brother i am trying to instill in him an attitude where he does not want to get anything less than A+ so rather than me shouting at him for poor grades i want him to want to get nothing less than As for himself. I went to my brother's parents' evening and he pretty much got straight As but what i don't get is, i worked way way way harder and was worked more than he is. The asshole pretty much never studies. *stealth brag or whatever but i am kinda worried. I knew some black boys who fell off and i don't want that to happen to him.

I remember when i got like 12-13 out of 20 in mental maths tests in primary school. I wasn't too bothered cos i was like i passed. My mum found out and after we went to a bookshop to buy maths books, i got an ass-whooping that night and i had to do mental maths for half an hour each morning before school. I rarely got less than 18-20 from then on.

akira28

I'm not even going to click but at this point either A) these guys are taking shifts or B) they're all alts of Robert Zimmerman. I just don't even...

No,they just believe in truth and justice. Something us peasants in the lynch mob calling for Zimmerman's blood would never understand. These are rational people who want to wait until all the facts are laid out, and want to let the system work like it's supposed to. Why you're getting all excited, letting emotions take over and turning this into a racial issue, they'll never understand. It was just a misunderstanding between two minorities, and it seems like Zimmerman may have possibly acted in self defense, if those Facebook pictures are to be believed.... /nausea

380587_745042712839_156805154_33642299_1517844711_n.jpg

Caption time folks

Derwind

So what do you do when a stranger collapses?

I realized today I'm a horrible human being.

I was walking downtown today with a couple of buddies, just relaxing before we lock ourselves in our rooms to study for upcoming exams.

We come back from a nice, classy all you can eat local joint.

Just taking a stroll to work off the meal...

A lady not a few yards from me...

My mind decides to rationalize it like this "OMG is 7pm, too early for drunkies and she looks like a crackhead with her worn out parka and the gaunt face... must walk away"

Fortunately I have human beings as friends and they helped the lady out...

She was anemic and homeless...

=_=

I'm horrible.

Anyone's humanity fall that low?

I was walking downtown today with a couple of buddies, just relaxing before we lock ourselves in our rooms to study for upcoming exams.

My mind decides to rationalize it like this "OMG is 7pm, too early for drunkies and she looks like a crackhead with her worn out parka and the gaunt face... must walk away"

=_=

I'm horrible.

When I was in high school, there was this homeless lady in a wheelchair i would often see downtown when I was headed home from school. i took a different route one day and bump into her when she asked if i could push her home. I just ignored her and just rushed passed her as quickly as possible. She kinda creeped me out and others have she that she was a crackhead as well. I felt kinda bad just leaving a handicapp person behind. It bothered me for a while.

Derwind

When I was in high school, there was this homeless lady in a wheelchair i would often see downtown when I was headed home from school. i took a different route one day and bump into her when she asked if i could push her home. I just ignored her and just rushed passed her as quickly as possible. She kinda creeped me out and others have she that she was a crackhead as well. I felt kinda bad just leaving a handicapp person behind. It bothered me for a while.

See that is still a little better than my story, the old lady wasn't in any immediate danger, albiet ignoring someone is rude.

I was ready to walk away from some that collapsed completely...

=(

masud

Banned

=_=

I'm horrible.

I'm a new yorker, I wouldnt even have noticed.

Derwind

I didn't. Tbh, the scene where Simba meets his spirit was sadder to me than the actual death as a kid.

This.

I didn't really get an impact from the death as a kid until that scene which was quite after the fact.

Is that moment I realized the seriousness of death and that nothing remains ever the same.

=(

ReiGun

Watching the movie now, it really hits me how much of a fuck up Simba was for his dad to come back from the grave just to say how disappointed he was in him.

So if he comes back will it be in a cluster of stars that spell out sex?

Lion_King_Simba_And_Mufasa_English_.jpg

Black-Gaf, you have forgotten me...

Shit, I watched Lion King on Blu-Ray a few months ago, and big spirit Mufasa still makes me tear up like a bitch, including the part where Simba looks into the water to find some direction in his life. Usually I'm against the theme that you can't escape your parents' shadow and form your own path, but the Lion King balances that with growing up and accepting responsibility, especially when you're the head of the family(or in this case, the entire kingdom).

"How can I back? I'm not who I used to be..."

You guys heard about this?

So the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), a leading group for fighting against same-sex marriage, had some documents released exposing some of their plans to fight civil rights. Among them, driving a wedge between black people and gays. Also, trying to cause friction between latinos and whites.

An excerpt:

dumb ass conservatives said:
"The strategic goal…is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks—two key Democratic constituencies. Find, equip, energize and connect African American spokespeople for marriage; develop a media campaign around their objections to gay marriage as a civil right; provoke the gay marriage base into responding by denouncing these spokesmen and women as bigots…"

Taking advantage of the huge amount of homophobia in the black community, eh? Well, took them long enough.

Also, did anybody else find it funny as a kid had Simba's parents were voiced by two clearly black people, but he grew up into Ferris Buller? Yeah, they're just voice actors and Matthew does a great job as Adult Simba, but I was always amused by that as a kid.

Imm0rt4l

Didn't even know who Ferris Buller was as a kid. I did know however that Jonathan Taylor Thomas played Simba as a kid, mostly because so many girls I knew loved that guy.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Didn't even know who Ferris Buller was as a kid. I did know however that Jonathan Taylor Thomas played Simba as a kid, mostly because so many girls I knew loved that guy.
And the dude that was young michael in the jackson movie and marcus in smart guy was young simbas singing voice. Kinda funny

Top Bottom