• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Himuro said:
So is there a lot of pressure to get married at a young age in African culture, Veidt? Also, lookin' good. It seems there is not one bad looking member of Black Gaf. :eek:

Yep. My mother got married at the age of 17, my dad was 19. I think.
Most people get married at a very young age. I recently heard that a younger cousin of mine got married at 16, this year.

A 10 year old kid in Africa is more mature than a 15 year old here in Europe. It's the environment, lifespan is short, so people have kids earlier.

Fox the Sly said:
Veidt, are you Ethiopian?

I am Somalian.

Nameless said:
For the fallen homies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krxu9_dRUwQ

pour-some-beer-out-for-homies.jpg

Gangsta Lean = G.O.A.T. dead homies song

this song is unintentional hilarity for me. Yet I still know all the words

Himuro said:
Nevermind, then. You're on your own Spin.

just like a n***a to switch sides.

and you guys are right. not skinny jeans. even in my negrohipsterdom I can't do that. It's slim fit. :lol

but maybe I could pull of those skinnies...if they fit

Beezy said:
Around where? You must be talking about Queens because Popeyes and Kennedy's are the fastfood chicken of choice in the Bronx and Brooklyn.

That's scary, because I AM from Queens. Hollis to be exact. :lol :lol

Fox the Sly said:
:lol

He scored a point in the Miley Cyrus thread about Victoria Justice so he's 1/3 in my book so far. :p
Because the opinion of internet strangers matters!

My main problem with skinny jeans is when dudes wear and sag. Sagging is stupid in the first place, when you wear skinnies and sag too?! Ugh...

Victoria Justice > all, but let's not bring that into this thread... :lol

Yeah, I don't get it. People wearing that shit and sagging. Hell, I still don't get people getting 3XL shirts to look hood. -_-

DominoKid

Lebron said:
http://generation-x.net/viewVideo.php?video_id=4718&title=SELLOUT_AND_THE_BLACK_COMMUNITY

Thoughts? I know with my parents and my Uncle they're seen as the "sellouts" in the family since they made it out the hood and are living in the suburbs. A few of my cousins get on us too about it, like we should feel bad we were born in the suburbs or something. I'm like, what the flipping fuck, hah. There seems to be some mindset that if you make it out of the hood you're a sellout, or if you make it out and don't comeback often or some shit. Anyone else had experience with this?

i really dont think its the fact that they made it out which makes people think of them as sellouts. in my experience, generally people like that tend to see themselves and their needs as separate from the black community.

ideally people would make it out the hood and come back to spread the knowledge they've gained and help the community, but more often than not its an "i made it out, now you do it" mindset. to me, thats a sellout.

so i can understand that whole inter-family tension where one group is more successful than the other. my aunt's family is like that and my mom hasnt minced words on how she feels about it

the black community is far too focused on the individual right now. primarily because of the pop culture images we have. but thats a whole nother story...

I probably toe the line between blipster/black hipsterdom and regular, quality Brooklyn brownstone/ghetto boydom. I won't do skinnies, but I've got relaxed/bootcut jeans that are fitted and nice that I wear regularly. I never get designs cut in my hair - my dad used to slap the shit out of me for even wanting a fade back when I was a kid, so I never got into lines/designs and stuff. I rock thick black square-framed glasses, and I've got sneakers in every color/size/material/make...and of course, they match my fitteds, clothes, watches, ties, etc.

...I'm sorry, Onyx, Mobb Deep and MOP. I forgot your teachings :(

149679_456729073418_585583418_5292252_6887470_n.jpg

look at these bad boys. bad picture quality but you get the idea. makes me wonder why there's no SneakerGAF...

Fuck your Jordans, I rock Neon Green Converse.

I have way too many shoes to list, mostly classic Js.

Basically anything I wear is matched up with my shoes.

The VI Infrareds were my Holy Grail and I finally scooped them back in January.

Throughout my life I think I have had only 3 or 4 pairs of Jordans. Mostly when I was younger. I don't buy shoes like I used to. When I do I tend to get some Forces.

Anyone had a pair of Shawn Kemps back in the day?

f389qh.jpg

eternaLightness said:
Throughout my life I think I have had only 3 or 4 pairs of Jordans. Mostly when I was younger. I don't buy shoes like I used to. When I do I tend to get some Forces.

http://i52.tinypic.com/f389qh.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Naw but I had a pair of the Shaq pumps though!

[IMG]http://listicles.thelmagazine.com/wp-content/upload/uforeebokpumps.jpg

I made sure I pumped them bad boys up every time I stepped on the court!

captmcblack said:
I defeat everyone in sneaker failure as a child.

I had a pair of these back in the day:

throwback-thursday-patrick-ewing-rogue-ii-1.jpg

What you know about them EWINGS

oh my GOD. Sad part about that? I thought those were so COOL. :lol :lol :lol

edit:

My newest pair of chucks, I call them Shadow the Hedgehog:

J5u5I.jpg

and I rock Adidas too. Here's my pair that I call Batman:

nNOt3.jpg

masud

Banned
captmcblack said:
I defeat everyone in sneaker failure as a child.

I had a pair of these back in the day:

throwback-thursday-patrick-ewing-rogue-ii-1.jpg

What you know about them EWINGS
You didn't have the orange and blue joints? Fail.

soul creator said:
Gangsta Lean = G.O.A.T. dead homies song

this song is unintentional hilarity for me. Yet I still know all the words

everyone that didn't post this song was doing it wrong BTW (I was about to post it too when I saw your post)
and I'm surprised I still know all the words to this song too, first time I've seen the video though.:D

Nameless

Just a heads up, actually more of a word of caution for Negro GAF: Tyler Perry's new movie "For Colored Girls" is NOT a date movie if you've yet to realize this. I know plenty of dudes who made the mistake of going to see Precious with a chick(or at all) only to wish they hadn't. For goodness sake people take heed of the movie's title. This is a trap if I've ever seen one. Not even Kerry Washington, to whom I'd do things some states, and countries around the world deem illegal, could convince me to subject myself to this nuclear blast of emotion, estrogen and Jesus. Real shit. Comic nerds had their film adaptation of Watchmen, this is the black woman's Watchmen.

Stay strong out there my brothers. This threat, much like Waiting to Exhale, isn't one that can't be beaten.

I think you guys have run the gamut on black shit. Has anyone brought up moisturizer yet? :lol

spindashing said:

Those look pretty slick, I'm long overdue for a new pair. Currently rocking these Stan Smiths

adidas-tennis-stan-smith-1.jpg

in blue.

Tokubetsu

sooperkool said:
No, my son. These were failure.

british-knights.jpg

Yea, my mother would only buy me BK's when I was a kid. The most expensive shoe I've ever owned was a Nike High Dunks from like four years ago...and those were like $125.

Zonar

eternaLightness said:

f389qh.jpg
Hell yea I had them. My grand Ma called them Zebra Shoes :lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
heh, just realized that immortal and dv got banned for a boondocks reference :lol

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
eternaLightness said:

f389qh.jpg
I had a pair of those. But my favorite pair were my rods. They had four green spring like plugs in the heels of the shoes. Sadly, i cant remember the manufacturer...

Hey!

Black people!

Less than 5% of you turned out to vote yesterday.
They'll totally take us seriously when we raise political issues.

...goddammit, black people. :X

DY_nasty

captmcblack said:
Hey!

Black people!

The only black people I saw at the polls this week were from my own church - 3 old ladies, absolutely no one under 30.

captmcblack said:
Hey!

Black people!

there were a lot of black people that voted at my local spot in Queens.

I went with my mother. I even told my mom, I shit you not.

"Hey, ma, there's a lot of black people here."

She looks at me and smiles after rolling her eyes. "You know you're black too right?"

I respond with, "I know. I'm just making an observation. My hands are protecting my pockets."

One of the ladies that help people out with the voting, who was also black, heard me and laughed.

I did not take the time to know ANYONE's political standing at all, sadly. I voted all Democrat at the wishes of my mother anyway...

My parents tried to get me to vote all Democrat, I refused to vote either way. None of the candidates stood out to me and New York is typically Democrat anyway.

captmcblack said:
Hey!

Black people!

10% voted according to exit polls. Still pathetic of course. I don't know where that 5% number is coming from

DY_nasty

ChocolateCupcakes said:
My parents tried to get me to vote all Democrat, I refused to vote either way. None of the candidates stood out to me and New York is typically Democrat anyway.
At least vote to make it look like we actually matter...

Honestly, any excuse aside from:

- "I am lazy"

or

- "I am quadriplegic/have no use of my legs"

is an unacceptable one, especially for black people. People died less than 50 years ago so that we could do this shit without restriction and with equal representation. Your parents may not even be as old as our unrestricted right to vote.

At least "I am too lazy to vote" is honest.

smfh.

captmcblack said:
Honestly, any excuse aside from:

- "I am lazy"

or

- "I am quadriplegic/have no use of my legs"

is an unacceptable one, especially for black people. People died less than 50 years ago so that we could do this shit without restriction and with equal representation. Your parents may not even be as old as our unrestricted right to vote.

At least "I am too lazy to vote" is honest.

smfh.

What about "I don't care"? I honestly don't feel like my vote changes anything. And no, I don't mean like "one vote ain't gone matter" bullshit. I mean that nothing will change because of this voting, due to our system being so fucked what little change that does happen is mostly insignificant to the big picture, the shit thats really effecting us.
So, I don't care to vote.
Also I live in GA which is unquestionably red. So fuck it.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I'm not going to vote for what I dont wholly agree with. Sorry, maybe next time.

Why didn't you write in a candidate you did believe in?
Or even write yourself in, so that it can be conveyed that even if no candidate represents you completely, at least you do? Voting is important, and you should do it if not for you, then to help not fuck stuff up for everyone else :lol

Seriously though, there's always an excuse to not vote, and that's why we get marginalized. Old people never EVER fail to get out and vote, and that's why there'll never be cuts to Medicare, and that's why Social Security is going to be used up before we get to taste its benefit. Rich people and corporations never EVER fail to get out and vote and donate, and that's why they get tax cuts and benefits out the wazoo.

You guys say the system is fucked? Actually, it's perfect for the people that use it...which is currently only old people, rich people and corporations/businesses. Everyone talks about how much their vote doesn't matter, but nobody seems to vote. Funny thing, that. I bet you if the candidates had to deal with the idea that 200 million people needed to be appeased rather than 30 million people, or if the fact that those 200 million people came from all walks of life rather than a very select few, things would have to be different (simply because they couldn't get the job otherwise). Those "red" states and "blue" states are that way because those are the people that vote. If EVERYONE voted, some of these things would change.

Regular people, and especially minorities, always seem to have a reason...and none of those reasons are ever good.

DY_nasty

Pinko Marx said:
What about "I don't care"? I honestly don't feel like my vote changes anything. And no, I don't mean like "one vote ain't gone matter" bullshit. I mean that nothing will change because of this voting, due to our system being so fucked what little change that does happen is mostly insignificant to the big picture, the shit thats really effecting us.
So, I don't care to vote.
I understand, I live in the south too so I know that my single vote is going to get swallowed up as well. Still, your vote does matter on the state level when judges are trying to get in or local funding is up in the air. Also, a black vote being a real actual factor will mean that people will at least have to campaign like they give a fuck about our communities.

When it comes to house reps and all that, there isn't much that can be done and most of the time both candidates are full of shit (at least do your research though...), still show up man.

captmcblack said:
Why didn't you write in a candidate you did believe in?
Or even write yourself in, so that it can be conveyed that even if no candidate represents you completely, at least you do? Voting is important, and you should do it if not for you, then to help not fuck stuff up for everyone else :lol

Seriously though, there's always an excuse to not vote, and that's why we get marginalized. Old people never EVER fail to get out and vote, and that's why there'll never be cuts to Medicare, and that's why Social Security is going to be used up before we get to taste its benefit. Rich people and corporations never EVER fail to get out and vote and donate, and that's why they get tax cuts and benefits out the wazoo.

You guys say the system is fucked? Actually, it's perfect for the people that use it...which is currently only old people, rich people and corporations/businesses. Everyone talks about how much their vote doesn't matter, but nobody seems to vote. Funny thing, that. I bet you if the candidates had to deal with the idea that 200 million people needed to be appeased rather than 30 million people, or if the fact that those 200 million people came from all walks of life rather than a very select few, things would have to be different (simply because they couldn't get the job otherwise). Those "red" states and "blue" states are that way because those are the people that vote. If EVERYONE voted, some of these things would change.

Regular people, and especially minorities, always seem to have a reason...and none of those reasons are ever good.

I'm not going to vote for someone I dont agree with just to please other people. And trust me New York is not fucked because of me, if buy some weird event that the GOP wins because of 10 votes or something in New York then fine but I doubt that will ever happen. I understand that voting is important but I'm not going to do it just to appease you or anybody else who actually made a sound decision about who they want for Senate or Congress. I'm happy with my decision not to vote this year. I see nothing wrong with not voting if you dont know who you want to vote for you may call it lame but I think its understandable.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The senate seat was fucked either way here in california. My only determining factor for voting was so that prop 19 would pass, and that was a failed attempt. Which pisses me off because being one that doesn't light up, and knowing many that do, it should have been a success. But then again, i high hopes for prop 8 too, and that failed as well. Its amazing how ass backwards this state is at times

sciplore

I shamefully did not vote either, after that damn Health care fiasco I became very disenchanted with politics again to be honest. The democrats are too pussy to do shit and the Republicans just want to block shit.

I might bother next time.

Top Bottom