• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Whoompthereitis said:
Never seen a Tyler Perry movie. I have to imagine it'd be soul-crushing.

pretty damn much. id advise watching one buzzed or lit. i dont see how you could otherwise

Parallax said:
pretty damn much. id advise watching one buzzed or lit. i dont see how you could otherwise

As a white dude, I wonder if I'd hate it less or more than you guys seem to.

Apart from the stereotypes, I hear that the movies are just plain shitty. As in, the acting is lame and the script is weak, etc. Just how bad are these films?

Parallax

Whoompthereitis said:
As a white dude, I wonder if I'd hate it less or more than you guys seem to.

Apart from the stereotypes, I hear that the movies are just plain shitty. As in, the acting is lame and the script is weak, etc. Just how bad are these films?

im pretty sure you would roll eyes and say the same stuff we would. his movies ponder to women, so were still on the same page for the most part

abuC

Vybz-Kartel-Before-And-After.jpg

Vybz Kartel on that Sammy Sosa shit lookin like a vampire.

"This is my new image. You can expect the unexpected. I feel comfortable with black people lightening their skin. They want a different look. It's tantamount to white people getting a sun tan."

Parallax

Whoompthereitis said:
I don't even know who this Vybz guy is, but eeeeeeew.....

I mean, based on that pic he was a handsome dude before. Why?
His lips are purple now. Does he really think that looks awesome

He looks like a zombie, holy shit. I'm deeply saddened people go to such lengths to get a lighter complexion. Black is beautiful no matter what the shade...

Gimme some advice, guys. I posted this in the Girl-Age thread, but you guys always seem to give better recommendations:

So.....

I live in Vancouver. Couple weeks ago me and this girl from POF went on one date where we met at a bar and talked/drank for 7 hours. We got along real well, and there was an obvious chemistry. Afterwards we stumbled out of the bar and walked down the street arm in arm, laughing and all that. I kinda dug her.

Ended up at her place at like 2:00 am. We sat on the couch and listened to music for a bit, sipping tea. Got a bit cuddly on the couch.

Then out of nowhere she got up and announced that she wanted to go to bed. I gave her a hug and left. It was all kind of weird, because although I felt she was way into me, there was something...off.

So we have plans for tomorrow night- go for sushi and then back to my place to listen to records and get messed up. Perfect, right?

So I get this text from her today:

“I have to be honest with you, Whoomp. I am feeling kind of achy in the heart department right now. I feel I can only be a friend until something inside me shifts....I wanted to let you know before another hang out.”

And it all made sense, based on a story she told me on our first date. Basically, back in October she met this guy. They hit it off like BOOM- instant chemistry, house on fire, hanging out all the time- within a month he had met her family. He was American, from New York. So one day he drives with his friend down to Bellingham, and on the way back Customs denies him re-entry to Canada. Don’t know the details, but that’s what happened. So apparently he’s now back in New York sleeping on his Mom’s couch.
Poor girl- she’s heartbroken obviously. She digs me, but she’s still way in love with this guy who’s now unattainable.

So we texted back and forth a few times today, and I assured her that I’m cool with being friends. Which I totally am. So we’re gonna hang out as planned, go for sushi and then come to my place to listen to funk music and drink/drug it up.

So.....advice? I want to respect her wishes, and if she’s not in a space to be anything more than a friend I can deal with that no problem. Having said that, if I can somehow get her naked, that’s even better.

Other than being my usual charming self, what can I do here? I feel like I should refrain from making any moves for fear of scaring her off. On the other hand, maybe makin’ a move is just what’s needed to get her to forget about this guy if even for a few hours.

The tricky part is that this guy was pulled away from her in the Honeymoon stage of their relationship- so really he hasn’t had a chance to do anything wrong yet, and is therefore perfect in her eyes.

Whattaya think GAF?

Imm0rt4l

Look at Casanova here, seems like everytime this thread is up you got a new chic!

“I have to be honest with you, Whoomp. I am feeling kind of achy in the heart department right now. I feel I can only be a friend until something inside me shifts....I wanted to let you know before another hang out.”

Ursk7.gif

How long ago was it that the relationship ended? Did it just end like last month/this month? Honestly I think you're in there already given that you stay charming to her. I think the only way you could really mess up is if you were to just seem less interested in her than normal.

Imm0rt4l said:
Look at Casanova here, seems like everytime this thread is up you got a new chic!

Ursk7.gif

How long ago was it that the relationship ended? Did it just end like last month/this month? Honestly I think you're in there already given that you stay charming to her. I think the only way you could really mess up is if you were to just seem less interested in her than normal.

yeah, I'm not sure...I think it's probably been about 2 months since dude got stuck in the states. But yeah, I'll bring her over and just be fly as I can be. If I sense its appropriate I'll make a move. If she goes for it, I'll crack the plastic on those new condoms I bought. If she freaks out and leaves, well, I'll finally have a chance to crack the plastic on the Dead Space 2 I bought on Tuesday. Win win.

But really, once she sees the disco sex den she'll forget all about the other guy.

*fist bump*

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If dude was allowed to come back to Canada tomorrow, and showed up on her doorstep, where would that leave you?

You're being used.

Parallax

K.Jack said:
If dude was allowed to come back to Canada tomorrow, and showed up on her doorstep, where would that leave you?

You're being used.
Jack has a point. It does seem like she has you as a future option rather than an interest.

K.Jack said:

You're being used.
it's weird to have that kind of pull.

I have it with one chick that's currently engaged. If I made a single phone call and was like, "Baby, you're mine. I have a ticket to Vegas. Let's go get married and consummate for the next 5 days..." she'd be there in a fucking hurry. Makes me feel uncomfortable...and bad for the other dude who KNOWS it (because she told him straight the fuck up). Talk about being a tool...when a chick tells you someone else is superior to you and you still stick around? You're a tool.

Tokubetsu

K.Jack said:

You're being used.

Definitely still hang with her but don't invest too much. If you're 100% okay with just being friends, then just ease up a bit and be cool. Worst case? Dude shows up again and you're where you are anyway. Best case? He doesnt or at least not for a long time, she gets over him however slowly and now have girl to kick it with potential romance.

Tokubetsu said:
Definitely still hang with her but don't invest too much. If you're 100% okay with just being friends, then just ease up a bit and be cool. Worst case? Dude shows up again and you're where you are anyway. Best case? He doesnt or at least not for a long time, she gets over him however slowly and now have girl to kick it with potential romance.

That's the thing...see, I'm not really in a space right now where I'm looking to fall head over heels. I've been single since October- got out of an 8 year relationship.

So I'm enjoying the freedom.

I'm currently dating three other girls, so I really don't have too much invested in this one. She's adorable (from Manchester- the accent KILLS me. When she says 'Yoga' she pronounces it like 'Yogurt' without the 'T') and I really like her.

Right now I'm just having fun. I've come to the realization that I have the 'skillz' for the player thing, but probably not the stomach. This cassanova shit has an expiration date, I know that. I'm sure in another couple of months I'll settle down with one...but I'm not in the head space to do that now. That's kinda why I'm not that put off by this one's current issues.

Even if she told me all of a sudden "oh my god I love you be mine let me be your ride or die for life" I likely wouldn't be able to give her what she needed.

Fake edit:

When I say I'm dating three other girls, I want to make this clear: I'm not doing it by lying. I'm being straight up with them- and I'm proud of that. I don't like to deceive girls to get in their pants.

The Abominable Snowman said:
Am I the only one LOLing about how off those white guys in the background are? So off beat and weird looking.

Anyway, am I the only one who found Sony's "Marcus" spokesnerd offputting and hope they discard him for the NGP?

He seriously was the worst part of the PSP, and makes me cringe with rage.
New-age shuckin' and jivin', I did get a chuckle or two but I see where you are coming from.

Parallax

The Abominable Snowman said:
Anyway, am I the only one who found Sony's "Marcus" spokesnerd offputting and hope they discard him for the NGP?

He seriously was the worst part of the PSP, and makes me cringe with rage.

if the ngp stuff is to be taken at face value, we arent done with marcus just yet

aktham

Whoompthereitis said:
That's the thing...see, I'm not really in a space right now where I'm looking to fall head over heels. I've been single since October- got out of an 8 year relationship.

So I'm enjoying the freedom.

I'm currently dating three other girls, so I really don't have too much invested in this one. She's adorable (from Manchester- the accent KILLS me. When she says 'Yoga' she pronounces it like 'Yogurt' without the 'T') and I really like her.

Right now I'm just having fun. I've come to the realization that I have the 'skillz' for the player thing, but probably not the stomach. This cassanova shit has an expiration date, I know that. I'm sure in another couple of months I'll settle down with one...but I'm not in the head space to do that now. That's kinda why I'm not that put off by this one's current issues.

Even if she told me all of a sudden "oh my god I love you be mine let me be your ride or die for life" I likely wouldn't be able to give her what she needed.

Fake edit:

When I say I'm dating three other girls, I want to make this clear: I'm not doing it by lying. I'm being straight up with them- and I'm proud of that. I don't like to deceive girls to get in their pants.

Sounds like you need to be single for a while before getting into another relationship.

aktham said:
Sounds like you need to be single for a while before getting into another relationship.

yeah, that's what I'm doin'. Playin' the field, havin' fun.

But honestly, I'm pretty baggage-free. I ended the relationship on good terms. Did it because I knew it was best for me. I'm not bitter or spiteful or heartbroken or anything.

aktham

abuC said:
Vybz-Kartel-Before-And-After.jpg

Vybz Kartel on that Sammy Sosa shit lookin like a vampire.

Black people trying to look lighter and white people trying to look darker. Everybody aiming for that Mexican/Filipino skin tone lol

Equus Bellator Apex said:
No need to feel ashamed.

I'm watching Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo right now.

I had the biggest crush on Turbo's Puerto Rican girlfriend when I was younger.

And Kelly was thick in that one too iirc.

Equus Bellator Apex

ryutaro's mama said:
I had the biggest crush on Turbo's Puerto Rican girlfriend when I was younger.

And Kelly was thick in that one too iirc.

Yep.

The actress that played her has actually aged pretty well.

also.

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY PULL OF THAT SCENE WHERE TURBO IS DANCING ON THE CEILING???!!?!

Yasae

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
My brother said there's a stereotypical white chick in the film who's so ridiculous it's impossible to take seriously lol

I've seen Diary of a Mad Black Woman and that was enough. My mom and aunt were enthralled from beginning to end while I sat there shaking my head at the various cliches. And apparently, all his later movies follow the same pattern: women in poor relationships, professional black men treating their women poorly, some type of honorable light skinned mechanic/sanitation worker/janitor/etc falling in love with the woman, religious woman begging her backsliding girlfriend to come back to church, etc

Dude needs to be kicked out the closet so we can see just how loving his religious audience truly is.
Tyler "I Made One Okay Movie" Perry. He was already quite rich after his plays... Then he had to go and sell out all the way, making the same shallow film over and over again. His characters are stereotypes and so is he: hustler.

dvdjamm

MThanded said:
An oldy but goody. Popeyes runs out of chicken. smh . I remember when I first saw this video. I thought to myself, this can't be real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyW6w5B7Aw

So they went to a few different Popeye's and they ran out of chicken...And they didn't interview 1 white person...Plus at the end,the 2 white newscasters were laughing and enjoying themselves...

The 1st thing I thought of was...SETUP....Cause I'm pretty sure there were some white people upset about missing out on some chicken.

Top Bottom