• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
MWS Natural said:
Why try to excuse something? Who cares? lol

*Random Gaffer comes into thread, trolls then leaves*

*Natural doesn't give a fuck*

everytime i want say something to you, i end up laughing at your damn avatar. wheres it from?

Whoompthereitis said:
As a white dude, I wonder if I'd hate it less or more than you guys seem to.

Apart from the stereotypes, I hear that the movies are just plain shitty. As in, the acting is lame and the script is weak, etc. Just how bad are these films?

All of his movie fall apart 3/4 of the way through and never recover. Wifey likes the older ones, but the last few she's hated.

The Boondocks spoof was classic.

I have it with one chick that's currently engaged. If I made a single phone call and was like, "Baby, you're mine. I have a ticket to Vegas. Let's go get married and consummate for the next 5 days..." she'd be there in a fucking hurry. Makes me feel uncomfortable...and bad for the other dude who KNOWS it (because she told him straight the fuck up). Talk about being a tool...when a chick tells you someone else is superior to you and you still stick around? You're a tool.

I've had this with 2 chicks, one is taken (and said she would bounce), the other was basically sprung since college, and basically said that whenever I wanted her, call and she'd come, regardless of relationship status.

I actually tested her once afterwards, and she left her date in the middle of dinner to drive to my house. Obviously, this is all pre-Wifey.

I'm happy now, so I don't think about it as much. No doubt you want someone who likes you, but that kind of obsession is what leads to *snip*.

DominoKid

ImperialConquest said:
My new kicks.
Had them for a few weeks now, bought them the day of the Pacquiao/Margarito fight.

jordan-classic-august.jpg

Team Jordan's blech.

step your game up and cop a pair of these in April.

Bordeaux VIIs aka The Greatest Jordan shoe of all-time.
air-jordan-vii-7-retro-bordeaux-1-600x450.jpg

dropped in 92 and havent been re-released until now.

BloodySinner said:
Trolling or not, I thought the comment was funny. Lighten up.
I'm about as light Vybz Kartel man, dumb shit like that just doesn't bother me.
Parallax said:
everytime i want say something to you, i end up laughing at your damn avatar. wheres it from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b93mTVukuiE

Lebron said:
February is going to be fun

I just hope we make it out of the month without you assaulting someone lol.

GOAT Jordan model: IVs.

Military Blue and Cool Grey IVs forever, y'all.

Space Jam XIs were great, as were cool grey and concord...but too many people rocked those. They're overrated.

abuC said:
http://urbanislandz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Vybz-Kartel-Before-And-After.jpg

Vybz Kartel on that Sammy Sosa shit lookin like a vampire.
i wonder how many of the angered people talked about "good skin" and "good hair" before... and how many of the angered women use weave or straighteners in their hair...

The build-in of hatred for blacks and dark skin is so forged into people over centuries of tireless work by certain other peoples that black people will actually physically destroy their own skin to get away from the stigma of darkness.

That shit is nefarious, guys and dolls. :(

Lebron

Baby Milo said:
n***** please

im wearing threes right now
Only true ballers sported the Pumps. That's when you knew dudes were serious, when they brought out the Pumps. They knew right away they were fixing to get served.

You know, I can still see and hear them when I close my eyes. Hear their screams, their cries. Begging for me to let up, to stop. But I couldn't, I wouldn't. I had to show them the true power of the Pumps, but not just them, everyone else on the playground also had to see. I had to show them what centuries of slavery and injustice has created when combined with the power of the Pumps. They needed to see.

You can keep your Jordan's, sir. I don't want them.

Bleepey

I am surprised that a guy would lighten their skins. I thought us dark-skinned guys were in vogue at the moment. Insecurity about dark skin is very unappealing to me in women but man i see it from time to time. To be fair, i notice so many black guys go gay for lightskinned girls in the UK and Nigeria amd i don't really blame girls. The thing is being dark-skinned was more like a mild joke like in the case of Wesley Snipes where it's just used for mild amusement. However for black girls it carries a lot of weight unless something like "you're attractive for a..." is somewhere near by and even then that's kinda an insult.

Bleepey said:
I am surprised that a guy would lighten their skins. I thought us dark-skinned guys were in vogue at the moment.
I'm not surprised at all. it's very popular in the Asian Pacific and moderately popular in South/Central American countries. In the Asian Pacific, it's all about not looking like a poor pesant (the poor mostly work outside and thus have deeper tans...thus, dark skin is associated with poor labor and is consequently less desirable. In South/Central America, they deal with the same issue North America deals with. the children of the slaves and natives vs. the children of Europeans and how that played out historically to value light skin as "better". It got ingrained in the culture just as it has in the US and its effects are wide and far-reaching.

also see:

Slammin' Sammy.

sammysosapic234x314.jpg
sammysosaskinpicture229.jpg

Fried hair and all. I believe Sammy is Dominican.

Is it wrong that I have never owned a pair of Jordans in my life?

Is it even more wrong that I don't even like how Jordans look? I've always been an Adidas/Converse guy, myself. I own several pairs of those. I don't even own a pair of Tims, which I should fix due to this harsh NYC snow...

spindashing said:
Is it wrong that I have never owned a pair of Jordans in my life?

Is it even more wrong that I don't even like how Jordans look? I've always been an Adidas/Converse guy, myself. I own several pairs of those. I don't even own a pair of Tims, which I should fix due to this harsh NYC snow...

Not even these:
nike-air-jordans-i.jpg

I'm not a big Jordans fan, but I dig those.

MorisUkunRasik said:
Not even these:
nike-air-jordans-i.jpg

I'm not a big Jordans fan, but I dig those.

Don't get me wrong, those look good, but not enough for me to want to have a pair. I guess it's because when I grew up, everyone and their moms wanted a pair/had a pair/bragged about a pair that I sort of grew out of the box of thinking.

spindashing said:
Don't get me wrong, those look good, but not enough for me to want to have a pair. I guess it's because when I grew up, everyone and their moms wanted a pair/had a pair/bragged about a pair that I sort of grew out of the box of thinking.

I get what you're saying. Most jordans wouldn't look right with a more mature dress style anyway, so I talk myself out of getting a pair whenever tempted.

Ducarmel

Never owned a pair of Jordans despite living in Brooklyn and my friend and neighbors having a pair and showing them off. I blame my mom for it she never saw what was worth the extra $50 - $80 was for outside of a status symbol the shoe had. I eventually grew out of wanting name brand cloths and sneaker in my senior year in H.S. going into college.

Bleepey

Ducarmel said:
Never owned a pair of Jordans despite living in Brooklyn and my friend and neighbors having a pair and showing them off. I blame my mom for it she never saw what was worth the extra $50 - $80 was for outside of a status symbol the shoe had. I eventually grew out of wanting name brand cloths and sneaker in my senior year in H.S. going into college.

I remember when i was a kid and i begged my mum to buy me like a pair of Adidas or Nike trainers once a year and i made them last that long. They always seemed to cost about £50. Now that i am spending my own money, i haven't spent more than £20. hahah

Got a fifth date tonight with this cute girl. For some reason, I haven't been able to get past the tongue-kissing stage with her.

Really starting to annoy me, feels like I'm 13 again.

Hopefully the pull of my disco sex den will be too much for her to resist. If she's still an Ice Queen I think I'm throwing in the towel with this one.

Wish me luck....

damn it, brahs. I banged this chick over the weekend and now she won't stop texting me. I hope she didn't think I was planning on being her meal ticket. :-/

Dreams-Visions said:
damn it, brahs. I banged this chick over the weekend and now she won't stop texting me. I hope she didn't think I was planning on being her meal ticket. :-/

At least you banged her. Wanna trade women? Mine's a skinny l'il vegan white girl with a bob haircut.

aktham

Dreams-Visions said:

You better start to learn how to ignore them calls/texts lol

aktham said:
You better start to learn how to ignore them calls/texts lol
I sent her a couple of smileys to be nice...but I'm not sure what to do now. lol. I can't have these chicks getting all googly-eyed.

I hope ignoring kinda works.

Whoompthereitis said:
At least you banged her. Wanna trade women? Mine's a skinny l'il vegan white girl with a bob haircut.
:-( sorry bro.

Lebron

Dreams-Visions said:
I sent her a couple of smileys to be nice...but I'm not sure what to do now. lol. .
You fucked up, they love smileys. Have fun waking up with her standing over your bed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Dreams-Visions said:
I sent her a couple of smileys to be nice...but I'm not sure what to do now. lol. I can't have these chicks getting all googly-eyed.

I hope ignoring kinda works.

:-( sorry bro.
Does she know where you live? Who your friends are?

Imm0rt4l

Iron_Scimitar said:
Black Culture thread eh?

*scrolls down and sees a Jordan shoe pic*

...yup.
I lol'd

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm not surprised at all. it's very popular in the Asian Pacific and moderately popular in South/Central American countries. In the Asian Pacific, it's all about not looking like a poor pesant (the poor mostly work outside and thus have deeper tans...thus, dark skin is associated with poor labor and is consequently less desirable. In South/Central America, they deal with the same issue North America deals with. the children of the slaves and natives vs. the children of Europeans and how that played out historically to value light skin as "better". It got ingrained in the culture just as it has in the US and its effects are wide and far-reaching.

also see:

Slammin' Sammy.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7374/sammysosapic234x314.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/623/sammysosaskinpicture229.jpg[IMG]

Fried hair and all. [B] I believe Sammy is Dominican.[/B][/QUOTE]

Self hate is really prevalent amongst black dominicans.

Lebron said:
You fucked up, they love smileys. Have fun waking up with her standing over your bed.
fuck. I answered a call.

:-(

she talked my ear off feeling all good about life. I was trying to be distant but nice...

...I thought it was working.

...then she ended the conversation with, "...I want you to know that I really like you...and I have for a really long time."

FUCK! MY LIFE!

Now I'ma have to figure something out.

Parallax said:
Does she know where you live? Who your friends are?
a metric fucking ton of them.

what the fuck did I do. I should have made the shit clear up front. LeSigh.

Be a man.... Jesus. You had a chick strung out before??

"I had a good time with you but I'm not looking for anything that serious."

OMG DISASTER AVERTED!!

exarkun

I used to wear some Jordans back when I was 15 and they still looked good. Now...I can't look at some without feeling ill. Jordan doesn't have a thing to do with them right? Cause some/most of them feel like Jordan's fashion skills rubbed off.

And as a man of color, I hate wearing black on black bball shoes. Unless they are like the Jordans at the top of the page. Just too...ordinary I guess.

Edit: these jordans look niiice: http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/index.html#/history/air-jordan-2010?idx=24

http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/index.html#/footwear/429493-401?idx=4&cid=429493-401 These too. Simple but still stylish. and the material isn't shit like some of the newer ones.

MWS Natural said:
Be a man.... Jesus. You had a chick strung out before??

"I had a good time with you but I'm not looking for anything that serious."

OMG DISASTER AVERTED!!
brah, I promise I never touched the girl before. she knew me from college where I was, in her words, "a rock star".

(to be fair, I was President of 3 organizations and on the board of a 4th including the National Pan-Hellenic Council and NSBE)

and I'll try that. I just hope it goes down as smoothly as it sounds.

exarkun

Dreams-Visions said:
brah, I promise I never touched the girl before. she knew me from college where I was, in her words, "a rock star".

(to be fair, I was President of 3 organizations and on the board of a 4th including the National Pan-Hellenic Council and NSBE)

and I'll try that. I just hope it goes down as smoothly as it sounds.

Like a mini-Malcom X up in this bitch. Got some red hair too?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dreams-Visions said:
am bald. lol.

(because it was cheaper in college! I better not be alone on that)
Question for you, specifically....

How often do you worry about whether random black woman is after your bank account?

Top Bottom