• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

BloodySinner said:
Sure beats the generic shaved head almost every black man sports.

What? most of the time black people are shown with cesaers waves or cornrows
caesar.jpg

I want to meet up with a barber that can give me a cool design on my head. Like maybe a dragon or something.

Its weird though considering that there are so many cool designs that we can have, too many dudes are out there with plain hairstyles check out how intricate this design is
black_men_hairstyles04.jpg

or wallace's cornrows from the wire. He has a different design in each episode.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
FTH said:
Not bold enough to say you like someone outside your race?

to family member? its no issue. my mom encourages it since she seems to date white dudes, and my grandmother didnt care about anything but not having children out of wedlock. black chicks outside the family circle? no, id rarther not hear bullshit from some chick who wouldnt want anything to do with me, so i keep it to myself

I'm not sure about that stereotype Shanadeus commented on but one of my black friends said that she'd like to have a baby with a white or hispanic guy so her baby could have "beautiful hair".

Not sure what that means but i found it weird.

salva said:
I'm not sure about that stereotype Shanadeus commented on but one of my black friends said that she'd like to have a baby with a white or hispanic guy so her baby could have "beautiful hair".

Not sure what that means but i found it weird.
I'd assume she was sort of jesting.

Dreams-Visions said:
oh lord. documentaries on "good hair"?

It was actually very detailed and all about how most of the black hair industry is actually owned by asians, and how profitable it all is to keep black women thinking "nappy" natural hair is terrible.

Devolution said:
It was actually very detailed and all about how most of the black hair industry is owned by asians, and how profitable it all is to keep black women thinking "nappy" natural hair is terrible.
Damn. I'll be sure to check that out.

But really, industry is only taking advantage of cultural dichotomies that existed long before the market for these products came about. People of color have been absorbing the idea that their natural look didn't fit underneath the umbrella of all things "beautiful" for several hundred years. Skin lightening, hair straightening and all that stuff simply represents the fruit on a tree with long limbs, a thick trunk and deep roots.

I know my sister had made similar remarks about having bad hair before when I was younger and I didn't get it.

I read up on the stuff on hair awhile back, and man I had no idea that type of stuff was insidious, especially about certain workplaces banning certain hairstyles. It seems like one of those things I really can't understand why people should feel ashamed for. I know it sounds incredibly naive to say, but people shouldn't be pressured to choose one hair style over the other.

Dreams-Visions said:
Damn. I'll be sure to check that out.

But really, industry is only taking advantage of cultural dichotomies that existed long before the market for these products came about. People of color have been absorbing the idea that their natural look didn't fit underneath the umbrella of all things "beautiful" for several hundred years. Skin lightening, hair straightening and all that stuff simply represents the fruit on a tree with long limbs, a thick trunk and deep roots.

Yeah but it was interesting to find out how much India and southeastern countries factor into this. Hair exports and the like. Then the prices for weaves and the process of hair straightening was just jaw dropping. It's kind of sad too because I bet the women with "kinky" hair do have more problems getting ahead, so one can't really argue that these expensive processes are unnecessary.

NotebookJ2 said:
I know my sister had made similar remarks about having bad hair before when I was younger and I didn't get it.
saddest part is that in the 2000s, people are still using terms like "good hair" and "bad hair".

fuck. FUCK.

Black women with locks rock

But yea, the "bad hair" debate is fierce. I don't think there's anything wrong with straightening hair, but I've always found weaves to be ridiculous. The subject is quite touchy. I've taken many black culture threads and seen all the black chicks in the class boil over over the discussion. Whenever I joke about it with my mom she blurts out "white women use weaves too, don't let them fool you."

4y7thbt

bring it back!

PhoenixDark said:

But yea, the "bad hair" debate is fierce. I don't think there's anything wrong with straightening hair, but I've always found weaves to be ridiculous. The subject is quite touchy. I've taken many black culture threads and seen all the black chicks in the class boil over over the discussion. Whenever I joke about it with my mom she blurts out "white women use weaves too, don't let them fool you."

4y7thbt

bring it back!
indeed.

obligatory,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKE-ToOEylM

also, my first really serious girlfriend had a mini fro. it looked pretty good on her, if I do say so.

PhoenixDark said:

4y7thbt

bring it back!

I don't know any white women who do, but many women who can afford it will use something similar to make their hair look longer or fuller. Typically the easiest thing to do is just have your hair "layered", which is just a cutting technique, not really adding any hair in.

daffy

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Whenever I joke about it with my mom she blurts out "white women use weaves too, don't let them fool you."
There was a girl in my class that had a fake ponytail, it was a different color than her regular hair and the black girls called her out on it. She looked embarrassed or something, like someone had just caught her cheating lol. Ah good times..

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
lightless_shado said:
What? most of the time black people are shown with cesaers waves or cornrows
caesar.jpg

I want to meet up with a barber that can give me a cool design on my head. Like maybe a dragon or something.

Its weird though considering that there are so many cool designs that we can have, too many dudes are out there with plain hairstyles check out how intricate this design is
black_men_hairstyles04.jpg

or wallace's cornrows from the wire. He has a different design in each episode.

Those designs won't go well with interviewing for a job.

FTH said:
There was a girl in my class that had a fake ponytail, it was a different color than her regular hair and the black girls called her out on it. She looked embarrassed or something, like someone had just caught her cheating lol. Ah good times..

Sounds kind of cruel.

daffy

Banned
Devolution said:
Sounds kind of cruel.
Well, it was back in high school, I doubt the black girls had seen or noticed something like that before. High school is high school, just gotta deal with it. She was very pretty, I doubt she cared at all.

neojubei said:
Those designs won't go well with interviewing for a job.

Depending on which job of course. If I'm an artist/stylist I can afford to have that hairstyle.

Kind of annoying how unless I have a cesar or a shaved head, most white employers won't give me a chance. Its like if you try to have any hairstyle that is popular or unique to your culture or ethnicity it pisses people off.

If I was a japanese dude I'd probably try to get a samurai hairstyle
j2v9w.jpg

HomShaBom

Banned
lightless_shado said:
Depending on which job of course. If I'm an artist/stylist I can afford to have that hairstyle.

Kind of annoying how unless I have a cesar or a shaved head, most white employers won't give me a chance. Its like if you try to have any hairstyle that is popular or unique to your culture or ethnicity it pisses people off.
I'm black, and honestly, I probably wouldn't give you a chance either. That shit is ridiculous to me.

HomShaBom said:
I'm black, and honestly, I probably wouldn't give you a chance either. That shit is ridiculous to me.

You wouldn't even hire a dude with cornrows?

for the record I haven't even done anything with my hair. I just comb it to the side(it isn't very curly) and then go about my day lol

Lebron

Devolution said:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/378/933103-naruto__kumogakure_bros_by_takoruone_super.jpg

These two even deck an akatsuki.

http://narutoview.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/06-07.jpg
Interesting. I bailed out when it turned into the adventures of Sasuke. I may need to check it out again.

As for the race thing, it doesn't bother me. I always tell people I date females, couldn't care less about the color of skin. I've probably dated more outside my race than within(don't try to on purpose, just happens you know) so my parents are use to it. They did give me the "wish I be with a black girl" bit, but they've since let that go. Current GF is Vietnamese, and they've been fine with her for the most part. I do get get the occasional mean mug from people when we out, but whatever, they just mad they ugly.

HomShaBom

Banned
lightless_shado said:
You wouldn't even hire a dude with cornrows?

for the record I haven't even done anything with my hair. I just comb it to the side(it isn't very curly) and then go about my day lol
Cornrows are fine. I'm referring to designs such as the pic above.

HomShaBom said:

like he said, it depends on the profession really.

I usually rock a fade or a taper myself. what I find hilarious though is that white people ( no offense to anyone ) usually cant tell when I get a haircut though. I remember one kid I was doing a group project with at school asked to meet up. I decided to hit the barber chair before I met him and ended up running few minutes ( like 10 or so ) late. When I did meet up with him he asked why I was late, and when I told him I just got a haircut, he said " .....but it looks exactly the same as yesterday....... ". granted I get my hair cut every week, but I dont think most white people notice something like a fresh line up or what not. I shouldn't say white people though, it's more of a cultural thing

Lebron said:
Interesting. I bailed out when it turned into the adventures of Sasuke. I may need to check it out again.

You'll love Killer Bee then.

if you don't mind spoilers
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100114133518/naruto/images/thumb/8/89/Killer_Bee_stabes_Sasuke.jpg/788px-Killer_Bee_stabes_Sasuke.jpg

Derwind

I got cornrows recently for the first time. Its been 3 weeks now and they're starting to get frizzy and loose. :(

Is this normal?

My hairs somewhat a mix of loose, wavy, curls. My background is East African so I don't know if that has a part to play with my hair in my genetics. :/

Derwind said:
I got cornrows recently for the first time. Its been 3 weeks now and they're starting to get frizzy and loose. :(

Is this normal?

My hairs somewhat a mix of loose, wavy, curls. My background is East African so I don't know if that has a part to play with my hair in my genetics. :/

I got cornrows once. After I took them out my hair looked like this:

enhanced-buzz-1642-1257957024-6.jpg

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
yea. i have that same curly/wavy hair. when i was younger, people used to say, oh look at that young indian kid! I did look rather indian though. even in the face department.

But there is no excuse for that now. Yet they still say I'm indian, or yemenite. These are arabs and indians calling me indian or yemenite by the way. You know you done fucked up when they confuse you for one of their own.

agrajag

Banned
I wish more women rocked hair styles like Misty Stone.
I'm sorry, am I allowed to post in this thread if I'm white?

agrajag said:

I'm white and the cool bros (and broettes) in here don't mind =).

Derwind

Devolution said:
I got cornrows once. After I took them out my hair looked like this:

http://s2.buzzfeed.com/static/enhanced/terminal01/2009/11/11/11/enhanced-buzz-1642-1257957024-6.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Oh well I'm expecting to get a pretty nice afro out of this.

To be honest, I can't wait till I get them out. I use a waterless foam shampoo to clean my hair and that thing itches my head something fierce.

But I suppose since I'm new at this I'm probably doing it wrong(I mean cleaning my hair). :)

[QUOTE=agrajag][spoiler]I'm sorry, am I allowed to post in this thread if I'm white?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

No you're not!!!

Kidding, if you weren't I'd be pissed. :)

daffy

Banned
Hey, not to go back to Shanadeus, but I remember when a GAF member made a livejournal account just for him lol. Sucks that he never updated it though.

http://shanadeus.livejournal.com/

It should've been his tag or something, it was such a nice thing to do..
agrajag said:
Hell no.
But to which sentence?!?!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
i think i posted a pic of myself here already once. i wouldn't mind posting again though, because it was in the early stages of black-gaf thread v1.0 when a lot of brothers weren't around.

Veidt said:
i think i posted a pic of myself here already once. i wouldn't mind posting again though, because it was in the early stages of black-gaf thread v1.0 when a lot of brothers weren't around.

I'll do it if you do it.

Top Bottom