• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

FTH said:
Sure! Let's talk about some ponies that could be black in My Little Pony!!

Zecora is pretty badass, plus she has a smooth African accent:
260px-Zecora.png

There aren't many male ponies with voiceovers, so no black men :( But, oh well! This totally relates to black culture!!

So what should we really talk about then sir. Hmm?

FTH said:

260px-Zecora.png

There aren't many male ponies with voiceovers, so no black men :( But, oh well! This totally relates to black culture!!

Ok? I don't watch the show so I don't really care but if anybody else wants to talk about it then whatever.

What should we be talking about then?

Scribble

They could have done worse, like adding a pony called Poneequa who has no tail
because she's wearing it on her head.

StinkFist said:
It really bothers me seeing Asians drawing themselves in a very caucajsian style when watching anime, or playing a video game. It's like the world has been unintentionally brainwashed.

Not that I don't agree that Japan [or other countries for that matter] kinda have a problem with the worship of Caucasian features, with anime it's a bit different due to a lot of things I can't even begin to articulate because I just woke up. The link kinda explains things better, though it's kinda biased.

http://www.matt-thorn.com/mangagaku/faceoftheother.html

Of course, there's always the issue with Popo and Jynx and the like but that seems more like the result of the reflections American media has had on the world and the entire sambo image crap, though that may not be entirely American either. Or something.

*goes back into lurking mode even though one of the main reasons he registered was to post in this very topic*

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
FTH said:

260px-Zecora.png

oh hell no. take this shit somewhere else.

daffy

Banned
ChocolateCupcakes said:
What should we be talking about then?
I dunno. I was saying that since the thread is offtopic as fuck already, it's pointless to get offended or stick to something you don't wanna discuss when you could easily change the subject or just not participate.

But if you really want an answer, you SHOULD be talking about My Little Pony. I did my part.

Mononofu

Ok what's NegroGaf's opinion on Bob Dylan? Great or the Greatest?

Bob+Dylan.jpg

Please don't ban me mods. I'm black and have the papers to prove it.

FTH said:
I dunno. I was saying that since the thread is offtopic as fuck already, it's pointless to get offended or stick to something you don't wanna discuss when you could easily change the subject or just not participate.

But if you really want an answer, you SHOULD be talking about My Little Pony. I did my part.

What? Who was getting offended? And if people wanted to talk about MLP they would most likely go to the thread which is chock full of MLP fans.

iavi

NotebookJ2 said:
Not that I don't agree that Japan [or other countries for that matter] kinda have a problem with the worship of Caucasian features, with anime it's a bit different due to a lot of things I can't even begin to articulate because I just woke up. The link kinda explains things better, though it's kinda biased.

http://www.matt-thorn.com/mangagaku/faceoftheother.html

Of course, there's always the issue with Popo and Jynx and the like but that seems more like the result of the reflections American media has had on the world and the entire sambo image crap, though that may not be entirely American either. Or something.

*goes back into lurking mode even though one of the main reasons he registered was to post in this very topic*

Come outside, man; the air is so good.

I don't agree with a damn thing in that article though.

Parallax

Mononofu said:

Bob+Dylan.jpg

i think he inspired such rappers as ghostface and sonny cheeba, so he gets a pass for that, and if my hair could do that, i would rock a style similar

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Naruto? Filler character or did I just miss a lot?

Actually, he's in the manga too. Omoi is from Kumogakure, and the Raikage is actually black too.

There's a black girl in Omoi's team as well.

And there's a Jinchuuriki named Killerbee who stereotypically raps and speaks in slang. I'm guessing the author grabbed "Killerbee" and the rapping from Wu-Tang Clan lol.

I'm not sure if this has ever been posted here before (Hell, I may have even snatched the link from here, can't remember). But here is a flickr account with a ton of old Jet/Ebony Magazine scans from the past. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vieilles_annonces/sets/

5V2ps.jpg

5RSle.jpg

Dem menthols.

There is a ton to dig through. I love this kinda stuff even when it's not black orientated, looking at old ads and such, the hair and dress styles, etc.

Mononofu

Lebron said:
Jimi's Watchtower > Bob's Watchtower
Dat be true though I find Bob more listenable.

Parallax said:
i think he inspired such rappers as ghostface and sonny cheeba, so he gets a pass for that, and if my hair could do that, i would rock a style similar

Awesome.

Miri said:
Come outside, man; the air is so good.

I don't agree with a damn thing in that article though.

I would, but I honestly don't have much to contribute to many conversations. The fact that my first post here was related to anime is pretty much proof of that. :(

I don't know, despite being a black male I always felt like a stranger to black culture in general, even though I was kinda brought up in it. It probably didn't help that I went through a "I'm really a white person" phase in high school that I thankfully grew out of quickly.

Scribble said:
"I see x character as more middle eastern/mexican/indian descent than black"

Jesus Christ I hate it when people say that.

Mononofu said:

Bob+Dylan.jpg

The fact that Jeff Buckley was inspired by him gets him respect from me, but I don't really care for his music. Can't get used to his vocals.

That said, Any Jeff Buckley fans in here? He is my favorite artist

YSRgW.jpg

Tokubetsu

NotebookJ2 said:
I would, but I honestly don't have much to contribute to many conversations. The fact that my first post here was related to anime is pretty much proof of that. :(

I don't know, despite being a black male I always felt like a stranger to black culture in general, even though I was kinda brought up in it. It probably didn't help that I went through a "I'm really a white person" phase in high school that I thankfully grew out of quickly.

Jesus Christ I hate it when people say that.

Yea, I was called an oreo for most of my time high school.

Tokubetsu

Kitschkraft said:
I'm not sure if this has ever been posted here before (Hell, I may have even snatched the link from here, can't remember). But here is a flickr account with a ton of old Jet/Ebony Magazine scans from the past.

Dem menthols.

There is a ton to dig through. I love this kinda stuff even when it's not black orientated, looking at old ads and such, the hair and dress styles, etc.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

StinkFist

Banned
Kitschkraft said:
I'm not sure if this has ever been posted here before (Hell, I may have even snatched the link from here, can't remember). But here is a flickr account with a ton of old Jet/Ebony Magazine scans from the past. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vieilles_annonces/sets/

5V2ps.jpg

5RSle.jpg

Dem menthols.

So fucking classy. Thanks to 90s gangsta rap, we won't ever see this again.

daffy

Banned

Parallax

FTH said:
Go back and read the page to see who was getting offended.

And if people wanted to talk about DBZ they would most likely go to the thread which is chock full of DBZ fans, so that statement is useless.

THE Black Anime Character:
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8294/503638-brock_8_large.gif[/IMG]
Misty all wide long-eyed, she can't handle him!

I didn't even know that thread existed. And I rather not re-read the thread since you were the one that got offended by people talking about anime.

daffy

Banned
ChocolateCupcakes said:
I didn't even know that thread existed. And I rather not re-read the thread since you were the one that got offended by people talking about anime.
O.K. honeycomb ♥ :D

Parallax said:
brock isnt black bro, hes latino. spiky hair, all those brothers and sisters? yeah, im gonna need more evidence to believe that
B-b-but he is! He's half-black, half-asian. He is the son of a Japanese cosplayer, which explains the spiky hair. His mom was an advocate of legal marijuana, which is why his eyes are always low and closed.

The brothers and sisters were revealed to be orphans in one episode, the one with the Zubats in the mine caves I think. There's all the evidence you need!! :(

Parallax said:
brock isnt black bro, hes latino. spiky hair, all those brothers and sisters? yeah, im gonna need more evidence to believe that
Yeah, Brock is Latino lol.

TakeshinoParadise.png

Dr4uXm.jpg

These are not shops.

Also, on the subject of Pokemon, I'm not sure how many of you have heard/played Pokemon Black/White. There are a few black characters.

A gym leader:
Black_White_Aloe_2.png

The new girl that Ash travels with in the anime:
iris_pokemon_best_wi_15759.jpg

And in the game there are several black trainers. Like Dancer.
dancer.png

daffy

Banned
spindashing said:

Also, on the subject of Pokemon, I'm not sure how many of you have heard/played Pokemon Black/White. There are a few black characters. The new girl that Ash travels with in the anime:
iris_pokemon_best_wi_15759.jpg
Noooo, that was just his father's love of cosplay showing right there!

Iris in Black & White anime is pretty awesome, she's so clumsy!! :p BUT. she needs a little more time before I declare her better than Brock.

Tokubetsu

Marilyn was an avid Jazz fan too and iirc, she got a lot of big name (or at least now) acts gigs in bars and stuff around Hollywood by throwing her weight around ("I'll show up and sit front row if you get so and so to play").

StinkFist

Banned
Has anyone of you (brothers, or vanilla flavored brothers) ever tell a chick of your own ethnicity that you're into or dating someone out side of your race and get that weird look, or comment?
Seems to be more so with sisters from what I understand. What the fudge?

That gym leader is one bow-legged chick.

Parallax

spindashing said:

TakeshinoParadise.png

Dr4uXm.jpg

These are not shops.

Also, on the subject of Pokemon, I'm not sure how many of you have heard/played Pokemon Black/White. There are a few black characters.

A gym leader:
Black_White_Aloe_2.png

And in the game there are several black trainers. Like Dancer.
dancer.png

i forgot about that ending. he also has a damn ludicolo, which kinda adds to the proof of his heritage.

the gym leader(and the proof that she doesnt see color lines with her husband) and the dancers are nice little hints to prove its in another region, but with the new black characters, we also get characters like the skinheads....

StinkFist said:
Has anyone of you (brothers, or whites) ever tell a chick of your own ethnicity that you're into or dating someone out side of your race and get that weird look, or comment?

you might want to remove the content in the brackets, its kinda insensitive, and unnecessary giving what you followed it with.

but no. hell no. im not even close to that bold.

StinkFist said:
So fucking classy. Thanks to 90s gangsta rap, we won't ever see this again.

Kanye west and P-diddy tried to bring some class to the genre. Hell Kanye had a cypher with dudes all wearing suits

Speaking of which, how do you guys wear your suits? It kind of bothers me when I see bros trying to wear baggy suits. But then again...
Zootsuit-1942.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been able to go out and buy a proper tailored suit since I was a little kid :(

Edit: Also I don't know where all the confusion over what is on topic is coming from. As long as it has to do with black people, then its relevant no? Like all the black characters in Naruto or Pokemon and how Japanese artists are now starting to recognize black characters. I think we even had such discussion some pages back.

StinkFist

Banned
supabrett said:
Damn rap gets blamed for more shit that the devil.

I don't believe in the devil. And gangster rap has impacted young brothers and sisters in a negative way whether youd like to admit it or not. Shit, try listening to 90s gangster rap for an hour or two see how you can be brain washed, especially at a young age. Everything gun this, bitch that, etc. Mind you I love me some D-Block, Tupac, The Game, Wu Tang and such.

StinkFist said:
Has anyone of you (brothers, or vanilla flavored brothers) ever tell a chick of your own ethnicity that you're into or dating someone out side of your race and get that weird look, or comment?

That gym leader is one bow-legged chick.

Haven't had that experience. I already mentioned I don't know any black people, but whenever I discuss it with my mom she loses her shit. She argues that it won't work out if I try to date anyone that isn't black because they won't be able to see a lot of things from a black point of view, and that their family won't accept me.

She's sort of right too, parents(black, white or whatever) seem to panic when there is the possibility that their descendents wont look anything like them or worse, will end up looking like the very people that treated them like shit.

Oh and for clarity: I have no preference. I'll take anyone that looks good lol
StinkFist said:
I don't believe in the devil. And gangster rap has impacted young brothers and sisters in a negative way whether youd like to admit it or not. Shit, try listening to 90s gangster rap for an hour or two see how you can be brain washed, especially at a young age. Everything gun this, bitch that, etc. Mind you I love me some D-Block, Tupac, The Game, Wu Tang and such.

Rap has always tried to spread the culture of toughness though. Not being afraid of someone talking shit to you or whatever. I agree that it's made people close up or front too much to the point where its clear that they aren't hard. At the same time though today's rap music I would argue is just as bad or even worse. Other rappers rapped about being in gangs and being in prison but rappers these days that make it to the mainstream seem to be obsessed with drug culture selling the very things that destroys communities.

daffy

Banned
StinkFist said:
Changed it anyway. Sounded weird.
Looked fine to me.

But to answer, yes I have. It's also kind of a dumb question to ask, if I'm not racist them I shouldn't have a problem with it IMO, so I usually say something sarcastic like, "Do I?!" or "I Love Them More Than My Own Race Sometimes!"

Makes no sense to not be attracted to someone because they're outside your race.

Parallax said:
but no. hell no. im not even close to that bold.
Not bold enough to say you like someone outside your race?

Top Bottom