• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Equus Bellator Apex

jurnee+smollett.jpg

She got married last year.

StinkFist

Banned
Lebron said:
Is it just me, or do the Black mixes tend to come out the best?

For instance, Blasians

eKUTh.jpg

lWObV.jpg

emj8a.jpg

Its this unspoken thing everyone knows, but most brothers don't really advertise. Unless you are in eastern/northern Europe. I'll wear my "Half black, half what? You decide" shirt.

Bleepey

Tokubetsu said:
I'll never be happy until I find my asian girlfriend/wife/babymomma

I remember when i had an Asian girl phase, i've moved on.
DrFunk said:
Jewish first name, Irish last name

interviews were awesome

So that's the secret to getting interviews! I'll change my name to Zachary O'Donaghue.!

StinkFist said:
So who here has a non traditional Black-American name?

I have an irish(?) sounding first/last name. While it's nice not having preconceived notions cast on you, it does make for a sometimes awkward first meeting. Like the time I switched offices with some lady at work.

My name was on the door prior to me coming in, when she saw me she was like "which part of you is irish your baby toe?!"... *har dee har har*

StinkFist said:
So who here has a non traditional Black-American name?

Well throughout life people have often assumed by my name that I was white. Also with a french last name I guess I can't blame them for the European background picture in their head.

Lord Cuze said:
People in my family tend to have biblical names. Matthew, Abraham, Elizabeth, etc.

That's a little odd to me.

I've always find that to be cool really. Unfortunately all the people I've meet in my lifetime with those name haven't been haha.

Urban Scholar said:
I've always find that to be cool really. Unfortunately all the people I've meet in my lifetime with those name haven't been haha.

Hehe nah they're all mostly pretty cool, it's just I don't think any of us go to church

I half expect I'll be taking shots at Thanksgiving with Uncle Ezekiel.

"Hey yo, Moses, would you pass the Hennessy please? Thank you."

I've avoided this thread for the longest time. but, might as well participate. for shits and giggles of course

- Where you're from - Mississippi
- Where you live - Snellville, GA, Savannah for college
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - nope. I have no interest in my cultural heritage. my brother prolly knows though
- Do you know your roots? - all I know is my family is based in Natchez, MS
- Your Age - 18, 19 on the 26th
- Favorite musical genre - don't have a favorite but I mostly listen to hip-hop, stuff from games and anime
- Your profession/major/career interest - animation major, sequential art (comics) (still a freshman though)
- Your religious affiliation - athiest
- Hobbies - cartoons, comics, games

I imbrace the fact that I'm a nerd. I make that fact known. don't know what it means to "act white" though. white people (and everyone else) always act the same.

also, what the hell is black culture anyway? whenever I hear people talk about being black, they make it sound like the standard stereotypes: big butts, fried chicken, fuck the police and the like. always thought that was pretty stupid

From The Dust said:
I embrace the fact that I'm a nerd. I make that fact known. don't know what it means to "act white" though. white people (and everyone else) always act the same.

also, what the hell is black culture anyway? whenever I hear people talk about being black, they make it sound like the standard stereotypes: big butts, fried chicken, fuck the police and the like. always thought that was pretty stupid

Were entitled to what we think this thread is really for us to embrace who we are as opposed to what we should be(whatever that means). Sit back and enjoy the posts.

From The Dust said:

Miles+Davis+85+years+later.jpg

John-Coltrane.jpg

billie-holiday.jpg

chuck-berry.jpg

earth_wind_fire_ewf.jpg

malcolm-x.jpg

public-enemy.jpg

oh and

Sweet+Potato+pie.jpg

From The Dust said:
I imbrace the fact that I'm a nerd. I make that fact known. don't know what it means to "act white" though. white people (and everyone else) always act the same.

When I was younger, I used to get made fun of for riding a skateboard. Then Lupe Fiasco came out and the shits cool all of a sudden.

"Ka-thunk ka-thunk ka-thunk!"

- Where you're from - Dublin Ireland
- Where you live - Boston, Ma (college in Ann Arbor Michigan, law school in Boston Ma)
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Mother is French/Black (by way of Nigeria) Father is Irish/White (met my mom at University, touching story too)
- Do you know your roots? - Only know about my Father's side, descendants of Spanish pirates who crashed off the coast of Cork in the 1700's.
- Your Age - 23
- Favorite musical genre - House/Techno/Trace After watching Tron I've been on a huge Daft Punk kick
- Your profession/major/career interest - Currently in Law School, graduating in a year and I'm going to be a prosecutor (what I've always wanted)
- Your religious affiliation - Catholic
- Hobbies - Video games, reading classic books, running, playing/watching soccer

I'm really light skinned (has to be the Irish in me) which has been both a blessing and a curse. Unless I tell people that I'm mixed, people assume that I have a Spanish/darker skinned white parent. My family (parents, brother and I) are going to Nigeria this summer and I couldn't be more excited. I am a little worried about racism over there though.

Bleepey

mikeybwright said:
- Where you live - Boston, Ma (college in Ann Arbor Michigan, law school in Boston Ma)
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Mother is French/Black (by way of Nigeria) Father is Irish/White (met my mom at University, touching story too)
- Do you know your roots? - Only know about my Father's side, descendants of Spanish pirates who crashed off the coast of Cork in the 1700's.
- Your Age - 23
- Favorite musical genre - House/Techno/Trace After watching Tron I've been on a huge Daft Punk kick
- Your profession/major/career interest - Currently in Law School, graduating in a year and I'm going to be a prosecutor (what I've always wanted)
- Hobbies - Video games, reading classic books, running, playing/watching soccer

I'm really light skinned (has to be the Irish in me) which has been both a blessing and a curse. Unless I tell people that I'm mixed, people assume that I have a Spanish/darker skinned white parent. My family (parents, brother and I) are going to Nigeria this summer and I couldn't be more excited. I am a little worried about racism over there though.

You'll probably be fine, as for racism don't worry. There are some very light skinned Nigerians, even albinos so they are likely to be like whatever. Plus i met a half dutch Nigeria dude and a half german Nigerian girl who grew up in Nigeria and they said everyone was cool with them. Which states do you plan to visit?

Imm0rt4l

mikeybwright said:
- Your Age - 23

You don't have to worry about racism out there man. Their are some pretty light skinned Nigerians. My uncle is a ginger, and he's Nigerian. Speaking of which, I was on facebook the other day and someone posted this white girl from Wisconsin speaking Yoruba, perfectly. That shit put me to shame, time to step my game up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTZ_mS7TsI

Bleepey

Imm0rt4l said:
You don't have to worry about racism out there man. Their are some pretty light skinned Nigerians. My uncle is a ginger, and he's Nigerian. Speaking of which, I was on facebook the other day and someone posted this white girl from Wisconsin speaking Yoruba, perfectly. That shit put me to shame, time to step my game up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTZ_mS7TsI

I met a white guy speaking Igbo infront of my mum. LIke a full blown conversation, my mum didn't let me forget it. My Igbo is like my french: pretty shit.

Imm0rt4l

Bleepey said:
I met a white guy speaking Igbo infront of my mum. LIke a full blown conversation, my mum didn't let me forget it. My Igbo is like my french: pretty shit.
Yea, my parents would give me shit too. I once new a white dude that spoke pidgin, that shit tripped me out.

StinkFist

Banned
Has The Wiz been put on Blu Ray yet?

Tupac in my eyes is the biggest hypocrite I've ever seen in media. Well, him and fifthy.

Oh and am I the only brother that cannot stand gospel music?

Londa

Banned
mikeybwright said:
- Your Age - 23

I am in your boat with the lightskinned curse. I feel your pain. But both my parents are black.

dining0612.jpg

you will always get a plate like this at any black cookout or family reunion.

Derwind

StinkFist said:
Has The Wiz been put on Blu Ray yet?

Tupac in my eyes is the biggest hypocrite I've ever seen in media. Well, him and fifthy.

Oh and am I the only brother that cannot stand gospel music?

I don't like Gospel.....never have.....never will......

people posting pictures of examples of black culture and nobody posts a picture of this man:
cornel.jpg

The man is a genius!

Also while I'm here, which great black people have inspired you the most/made you the most proud?
Olaudah Equiano. Even though he's Igbo and I'm not, he's still a Nigerian. One of the best people to ever come out of my country.

And also Aliko Dangote. The richest man in Africa and the richest black person. Most of his wealth was created in Africa, and he's a northerner like me :D

Yo Gotti said:
Hold your heads high light-skinned brothers & sisters. We are the way of the future.

lol no. You've had your moment. Now it's our time to shine.

tyson_beckford_fsh.jpg

swag

Top Bottom