• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

lightless_shado said:
people posting pictures of examples of black culture and nobody posts a picture of this man:
cornel.jpg

The man is a genius!
ha. I posted this same picture in my unnecessarily long post. good to know we're on the same page.

Derwind

lightless_shado said:
people posting pictures of examples of black culture and nobody posts a picture of this man:
cornel.jpg

The man is a genius!

So is this man:

neil-degrasse-tyson-galaxy.jpg

And he's upset you've forgotten about him....

Dreams-Visions said:
ha. I posted this same picture in my unnecessarily long post. good to know we're on the same page.

I was looking through your post again. Hold on a sec- is that a picture of a dude crumping? :lol
wb5en9.jpg

Derwind said:
So is this man:

Damn. How could I forget about him? I was thinking mostly about polymaths though.

Also this man will probably be the first person to travel through time
Ron%20Mallett.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Mallett

lightless_shado said:
I was looking through your post again. Hold on a sec- is that a picture of a dude crumping? :lol
wb5en9.jpg
yep. you've seen the Chappelle movie on the subject, right?

it's excellent.

Derwind said:
So is this man:

yea, he's the man.

lightless_shado said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436724/

?

I'll be honest. I did see the movie a while back and it sort of changed my perception of the dance, especially considering just how seriously people take it and how important it is for them.
yea, that movie.

Now every time I hear an E-40 song (Go Hard or Go Home, Barbarian, Tell Me When To Go, etc.), I get the spirit deep down to Crump. Thanks in large part to this movie and a few dance groups I've seen on shows like America's Best Dance Crew (MTV).

Derwind

lightless_shado said:
wb5en9.jpg

Damn. How could I forget about him? I was thinking mostly about polymaths though.

Also this man will probably be the first person to travel through time
Ron%20Mallett.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Mallett

J. Ernest Wilikins Jr

200px-J._Ernest_Wilkins%2C_Jr._ca._2003.jpg

Credentials:

1. Considered a Negro Genius in the late 1930's.

2. Obtained his Bachelors of Science in Mathematics at age 17.

3. Obtained his Masters of Science at age 18.

4. Obtained his doctorate in Mathematics at the age of 19 from the University of Chicago.

5. Contributed to the Manhattan Project while still in his very early twenties...

^ This is just scrapping the surface of his full resume!!!

As a university student right now, this guy just puts me to shame.......

This all happened before the civil rights movement, so the added pressure pushed on him to fail just boggles the mind....:(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Derwind said:
J. Ernest Wilikins Jr

200px-J._Ernest_Wilkins%2C_Jr._ca._2003.jpg

Credentials:

1. Considered a Negro Genius in the late 1930's.

2. Obtained his Bachelors of Science in Mathematics at age 17.

3. Obtained his Masters of Science at age 18.

4. Obtained his doctorate in Mathematics at the age of 19 from the University of Chicago.

5. Contributed to the Manhattan Project while still in his very early twenties...

^ This is just scrapping the surface of his full resume!!!

As a university student right now, this guy just puts me to shame.......

This all happened before the civil rights movement, so the added pressure pushed on him to fail just boggles the mind....:(

nvm, you already did

From The Dust said:
I kinda thought: "a bunch of black people talking about being black? ok....."

then again, I never had a negative or positive experience due to me being black.
Well a bunch of black people talking about being black isnt a bad thing. Relating to similar experiences and discussing all things that makes black culture awesome isnt a bad thing.

Especially with the images some people get about black people from the media its a good thing to let it be known were not just a bunch of stereo types.

My first year at college oh the things I heard.

"Your black so you should be a republican because Lincoln freed the slaves"

"Wow both your parents graduated college"

"You dont sound black at all"

Derwind

soundscream said:
Well a bunch of black people talking about being black isnt a bad thing. Relating to similar experiences and discussing all things that makes black culture awesome isnt a bad thing.

Especially with the images some people get about black people from the media its a good thing to let it be known were not just a bunch of stereo types.

Bolded just grinds my gears. Luckily, most people I've talked to are sensitive enough or not bold enough to say that. :p

soundscream said:

I never said it was a bad thing, I just thought that was a little mundane. it's possible that having no experience with situations due to race skewered my view of such topics like this.
even when I lived in Mississippi, I never had problems (my parents on the other hand have). the closest I ever came was some dude going off about police. he lived in an area where police harassment practicly doesn't exist. hell, chances are, you'd get pulled over by a black cop before a white cop. such fun times back in high school.

soundscream said:

what fucking backwater institution did you go to, sir?

Dreams-Visions said:
^ holy shit. I'm baffled. I went to Michigan, which had no shortage of New Yorkers. Never had a situation like that.

Bro's: let us all bask in the awesomeness of Esperanza again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNw46j0nNOs

They are not all from NY state, and upstate NY is not NYC. A lot of the people were from Boston area.

The granddaughter of the head of Texas Instruments was 2 doors down from me. I remember when I told her the average family lived on like 30,000 a year she wouldn't believe me. LOL

F@mous said:
Morehouse Grad. No HBCU love in here? Anyone here greek?

My brother graduated from there.

F@mous said:
Morehouse Grad. No HBCU love in here? Anyone here greek?
Greek here.

My chapter turns 102 in 6 days.

zero_suit said:
Hmm, 309 dislikes......Bieber's fans are vindictive, lol.
and she's so beautiful. her vibe is...amazing. and I hate to say "amazing" because it's so fucking cliche...but everything about her oozes win. Dat...everything.

soundscream said:
They are not all from NY state, and upstate NY is not NYC. A lot of the people were from Boston area.
that explains it.

From The Dust said:
I never said it was a bad thing, I just thought that was a little mundane. it's possible that having no experience with situations due to race skewered my view of such topics like this.
even when I lived in Mississippi, I never had problems (my parents on the other hand have). the closest I ever came was some dude going off about police. he lived in an area where police harassment practicly doesn't exist. hell, chances are, you'd get pulled over by a black cop before a white cop. such fun times back in high school.

If Blasians and sweet potato pie doesn't get you interested then I bid you good day sir.

StinkFist

Banned
I remember my first year of college in the student lounge. This super aggressive ghetto broad arguing with this brother. Her screaming that she can't stand those who act white and you can pretty much sum up the rest.

Another story, I was on a blind date with this German girl. "Wow, you don't speak black". I stood up and walked out. No response, no nothing. The date was going great before that comment. Damn, that chick had a beautiful ass.

F@mous

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Greek here.

My chapter turns 102 in 6 days.

and she's so beautiful. her vibe is...amazing. and I hate to say "amazing" because it's so fucking cliche...but everything about her oozes win. Dat...everything.

that explains it.

Ok. Must be an alpha. No roo....j/k.

StinkFist said:
I remember my first year of college in the student lounge. This super aggressive ghetto broad arguing with this brother. Her screaming that she can't stand those who act white and you can pretty much sum up the rest.

Another story, I was on a blind date with this German girl. "Wow, you don't speak black". I stood up and walked out. No response, no nothing. The date was going great before that comment.

You shoulda left after you fed into the stereotype of being a mandingo....I mean might as well get out what you can from a blind date with no future.

F@mous said:
Ok. Must be an alpha. No roo....j/k.
You'd be correct. No roo'ing here. A bit of ape-walking, perhaps. :)

Fun fact: I found out after I crossed that both of my aunts are AKAs. Dad and Grandfather are Masons. Grandma was a Star.

Who knew?

StinkFist said:

Another story, I was on a blind date with this German girl. "Wow, you don't speak black". I stood up and walked out. No response, no nothing. The date was going great before that comment. Damn, that chick had a beautiful ass.

I would have least done a hate fuck then never called her again.

F@mous

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
You'd be correct. No roo'ing here. A bit of ape-walking, perhaps. :)

Fun fact: I found out after I crossed that both of my aunts are AKAs. Dad and Grandfather are Masons. Grandma was a Star.

Who knew?

That is pretty cool. I'm the first greek anything in my family.....West Indian descent. But my current girlfriend and previous college gf were both Akas....I actually stole my current girlfriend from an Alpha(lols). But Pan-Hellenic love all day.

On a side note....every experience I've had with dating a white girl has been slightly offensive but you just have to suck it up and realize the world isn't a utopia. The first white girl I talked to (slept with) was from Iowa. I was there for a summer program for students interested in law school...she was like you're not like other black guys. haha, i was thinking wtf is that supposed to mean but her ass was delicious so I didn't speak up.

StinkFist said:
I hate myself for not getting her knocked up and ditching her.

1st Always bag it up my man.

2nd Im sure a black man ditching on his parental responsibilities isn't playing into a stereotype......

F@mous said:
That is pretty cool. I'm the first greek anything in my family.....West Indian descent. But my current girlfriend and previous college gf were both Akas....I actually stole my current girlfriend from an Alpha(lols). But Pan-Hellenic love all day.

On a side note....every experience I've had with dating a white girl has been slightly offensive but you just have to suck it up and realize the world isn't a utopia. The first white girl I talked to (slept with) was from Iowa. I was there for a summer program for students interested in law school...she was like you're not like other black guys. haha, i was thinking wtf is that supposed to mean but her ass was delicious so I didn't speak up.
I actually founded the Pan-Hellenic Council at Michigan some years back, so my greek love runs deep.

Which is interesting considering how many single-letter chapters there are at Michigan. Nevertheless, I was the founder and first President.

and lol @ shatching my bruhs women! stop that!

another random fact: there were no AKAs (on suspension for what had been about 10 years at that point) on the yard when I was there, so the Alphas and Deltas were the tightest, much to the chagrin of the Omegas. Like, they were genuinely mad and pouted on several occasions. lol. "Fire & Ice" indeed. :)

and man...they were fine as hell. their only competition was Rho's, which basically means there was no competition. The AKAs have since returned, so DST is comparatively homlier now than in my days on the yard...but I promise they were glorious back then.

Another interesting note: several of those DSTs have since renounced their letters citing religious conflicts. Not sure what they do in their rituals, but they don't seem to square well with everyone.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The Frankman said:
Black-GAF, serious question...

The Miz w/Nas + Diddy or John Cena w/ Gospel Choir + DMX?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llfEegeN740

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXp6YgKF7k - skip to 2:48 and play to 6:55.

i was on team cenation, but miz easily had the best theme.

Equus Bellator Apex said:

what im more amazed at, is that despite his build, his voice is unbelievably soft

AzureJericho said:
I'm guessing lack of exposure to black people + buying into certain stereotypes = their perceptions when making a "black" character.

im curious as to how that happens. they dont have bet in japan, so for once that isnt responsible. i find it hard to believe that geographical segregation is that strong.

F@mous

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
I actually founded the Pan-Hellenic Council at Michigan some years back, so my greek love runs deep.

Which is interesting considering how many single-letter chapters there are at Michigan. Nevertheless, I was the founder and first President.

and lol @ shatching my bruhs women! stop that!

another random fact: there were no AKAs (on suspension for what had been about 10 years at that point) on the yard when I was there, so the Alphas and Deltas were the tightest, much to the chagrin of the Omegas. Like, they were genuinely mad and pouted on several occasions. lol. "Fire & Ice" indeed. :)

and man...they were fine as hell. their only competition was Rho's, which basically means there was no competition. The AKAs have since returned, so DST is comparatively homlier now than in my days on the yard...but I promise they were glorious back then.

Another interesting note: several of those DSTs have since renounced their letters citing religious conflicts. Not sure what they do in their rituals, but they don't seem to square well with everyone.

lols its not surprising to me that you guys and the Deltas got along. In the Morehouse-Spelman scene, we meshed way better with the Spelman Akas than with their Deltas.....some of my prophytes had said some obscene stuff to them a few years ago and the beef persists. The Alphas and the Deltas were always buddy buddy but we owned the Ks. We threw several parties with them. One of the Ks was even our unofficial pearl (she rocked purple and gold more than pink and green).

But good sir, the Akas from Clark Atlanta University, which was right across the yard, were incredible. I'd wager they outdid the ones you speak highly about. Straight models. Each and every one of them.

F@mous

Banned
To all those who went to elementary/middle/high school with white people.

Didn't you hate when you had a fresh haircut and the white person would say...."but you don't have any hair!"

the worst.

MWS Natural said:
Morehouse "grad", but I couldn't care any less about fraternity/sorority shit though.

That's cool man. Though I loved college.....didn't really care for "Morehouse" as an institution. And they dicked me on my law school recommendations....but I still got into a great law school without em.

Top Bottom