• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys season 4 trailer

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Had to watch Gen V to get some plot points for Season 4 and... holy shit, it was really really bad. What the fuck was that show, honestly baffling. The only good thing was the protagonist

I watched one episode. I have a high tolerance for shitty TV - especially purposefully edgy stuff and bad sci-fi. All I can figure is that this is what gen Z wants. Because apparently it is doing bonkers numbers on Amazon and they are making more seasons and a spin off.

*shrug* guess I'm just getting old. But I think even 22 year old me would not have cared for this show.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Had to watch Gen V to get some plot points for Season 4 and... holy shit, it was really really bad. What the fuck was that show, honestly baffling. The only good thing was the protagonist

Question: does the protagonist powers look kinda OP to you? Like she could puppet Homelander?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Question: does the protagonist powers look kinda OP to you? Like she could puppet Homelander?
Doubtful. He is virtually indestructible, so his blood vessels and tissue could likely withstand any attempt to pull out his blood or cut him with someone else's. I doubt she has the medical background to think about trying to restrict blood flow to his heart or brain, and it would be up to the writer to decide if even that would stop him. If he can endure a 600 degree blast furnace for long stretches then clearly his body chemistry is basically magic.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Doubtful. He is virtually indestructible, so his blood vessels and tissue could likely withstand any attempt to pull out his blood or cut him with someone else's. I doubt she has the medical background to think about trying to restrict blood flow to his heart or brain, and it would be up to the writer to decide if even that would stop him. If he can endure a 600 degree blast furnace for long stretches then clearly his body chemistry is basically magic.

Oh no. I mean Puppet... Like Blood Bending from Avatar The Last Airbender. Katara did it to a couple of people (and she learned it from someone named Hama who controlled Fire Nation folks). That's what I'm getting at.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh no. I mean Puppet... Like Blood Bending from Avatar The Last Airbender. Katara did it to a couple of people (and she learned it from someone named Hama who controlled Fire Nation folks). That's what I'm getting at.
Doubtful, blood is always moving, so she would have to either stop it all (again, is homelanders heart and blood vessels stronger than her blood bending) or manage it while it is in constant high pressure motion, both seem unlikely.

And even if we just handwave all the blood fluid dynamics, are her mind powers to move blood stronger than his super muscles to still move his bones against it? I'd say no. She might slow him slightly at best.

'Sides, he'd eye laser her the moment he got a cramp around her.

And then Deep probably fuck her corpse, the knave :p

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Doubtful, blood is always moving, so she would have to either stop it all (again, is homelanders heart and blood vessels stronger than her blood bending) or manage it while it is in constant high pressure motion, both seem unlikely.

And even if we just handwave all the blood fluid dynamics, are her mind powers to move blood stronger than his super muscles to still move his bones against it? I'd say no. She might slow him slightly at best.

'Sides, he'd eye laser her the moment he got a cramp around her.

And then Deep probably fuck her corpse, the knave :p

He did eye laser her at the end of Gen V... She survived it... Wasn't injured tho it knocked her out. Her and Victoria have the same powers and Victoria is also kinda indestructible.

jason10mm

Gold Member
He did eye laser her at the end of Gen V... She survived it... Wasn't injured tho it knocked her out. Her and Victoria have the same powers and Victoria is also kinda indestructible.
Wasn't he on orders to capture, not kill?

There is eye lasering and then there is FUCKING EYE LASERING!

Personally I'm a little tired of every supe being indestructible. If yah gonna do that then have them in tattered clothes, kinda like...

Ix4IZcI.jpeg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wasn't he on orders to capture, not kill?

There is eye lasering and then there is FUCKING EYE LASERING!

Personally I'm a little tired of every supe being indestructible. If yah gonna do that then have them in tattered clothes, kinda like...

Ix4IZcI.jpeg

It was shocking when Homelander killed Starlight's old boyfriend (I forgot his power) and most supes at Vought are AFRAID of him. They have A LITTLE invulnerability or super strength but not to that level. How he did Noir? Ugh!

But there's low-level invulnerability and high grade... Taking a laser to the chest COULD be high level but until we see her take a punch from Homelander (Marie or Victoria) we just won't know. But shrugging off acid and a bullet to the head .. I dunno. Even Maeve lost an eye to Homelander and she was high grade invulnerable.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was shocking when Homelander killed Starlight's old boyfriend (I forgot his power) and most supes at Vought are AFRAID of him. They have A LITTLE invulnerability or super strength but not to that level. How he did Noir? Ugh!

But there's low-level invulnerability and high grade... Taking a laser to the chest COULD be high level but until we see her take a punch from Homelander (Marie or Victoria) we just won't know. But shrugging off acid and a bullet to the head .. I dunno. Even Maeve lost an eye to Homelander and she was high grade invulnerable.
Eh, all these superhero shows just have the power of the plot. Brandon Sanderson is probably the only guy that would sit down and figure out the kilojoules of force each hero could dish out or take. We need a good engineering Aspergery type guy to give a class on power levels and show punches versus bullets versus building melting eye lasers in terms of actual power.

BadBurger

She is inmature in her power use, idk about Homelander but she will definetly pop off Newman's head in the future I bet

Spoilers

Homelander is basically Superman. He can "feel" her trying to harm him, and he is incredibly resistant to it. If she tried to pop his head he would know and fly over to her and I assume splatter her head. It was covered in an episode last season.

She is def the most terrifying villains next to Homelander, but she is not a serious threat to him.

Last edited:

FewRope

Spoilers

Homelander is basically Superman. He can "feel" her trying to harm him, and he is incredibly resistant to it. If she tried to pop his head he would know and fly over to her and I assume splatter her head. It was covered in an episode last season.

She is def the most terrifying villains next to Homelander, but she is not a serious threat to him.
Yeah, Victoria is a god tier villain, I hope they use the cast of Gen V in the main show better than in the spin off

xrnzaaas

I've never watched an episode of Supernatural..am I a bad person? On a scale of 1-10 how much of a priority should I put on seeing this show?
Seasons 1-5 are an 11. You can forget the rest exists or watch them over the course of several years. The finale was okay, but a lot of the seasons and story arcs / villains after season 5 weren't good and the 'case of the week' episodes were often better than the main plot.

March Climber

Gold Member

Sammy is coming to The Boys

Sam Winchester Yes GIF
Either this means there's a chance of Soldier Boy returning, or this means that SB isn't returning at all and Jared's character will be the focus.

I've never watched an episode of Supernatural..am I a bad person? On a scale of 1-10 how much of a priority should I put on seeing this show?
Supernatural has three arcs. Seasons 1-5 are it's best content, Seasons 6-10 have lower lows but have the best slice of life/lore/funny content, and Seasons 11-15 have higher highs due to good buildups of power levels but it takes a bit to get to that point.

Just like when starting a longform shonen anime, if you're going to hop in, you have to be okay with old school 'case of the week' style episodes that can sometimes be filler in between the important story moments, but they might reference that same filler in the main plot.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Today's episode was heartbreaking! And lines are being drawn more broadly now outside of The Boys and The Seven.

And did anyone get the "woke", "one of the good ones", "Black At It", Big Chief Apache, the product placements for white and black audiences in Deep's movie, "articulate", etc? THAT is a takedown of Corporate America and diet racism that they spew time to time! I loved it!

Last edited:
Really good episode, so much happened it was almost like a double-bill episode or something, really glad it's back to classic "what the fuck did I just watch" Boys, the sooner they wrap up this completely dull Frenchie plot line the better. D23 parody was on point and the double bluff with Homelander got me, I thought he might actually flip to being a decent parent for a few minutes there.

Only thing that confused me was they were going after this deus ex machine of a virus to kill supes, more specifically Homelander, then they just off hand say it's not strong enough to kill Homelander. So will The Boys just get into random escapades until the Sister Sage indirectly does the job? Going to be a bit of an anti-climax unless they can tie the two together somehow. Turning Ryan against him perhaps?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Really good episode, so much happened it was almost like a double-bill episode or something, really glad it's back to classic "what the fuck did I just watch" Boys, the sooner they wrap up this completely dull Frenchie plot line the better. D23 parody was on point and the double bluff with Homelander got me, I thought he might actually flip to being a decent parent for a few minutes there.

Only thing that confused me was they were going after this deus ex machine of a virus to kill supes, more specifically Homelander, then they just off hand say it's not strong enough to kill Homelander. So will The Boys just get into random escapades until the Sister Sage indirectly does the job? Going to be a bit of an anti-climax unless they can tie the two together somehow. Turning Ryan against him perhaps?
Yeah, it seems really weird that they just "know" the virus won't work on homelander...how do they know this?

And if they can inject a corpse, somehow it spreads and kills ALL the sheep, then seems like they just need to scoop up some sheep vomit and they'll have an infinite supply of the stuff, hopefully that happened and they just hid it from victoria. And were the nosebleeds a bit of Victorias power warning them or something else? Why was Starlight having trouble "firing up", no power for her to absorb?

And I know this show wants to mkae the villains seem smart, but JESUS CHRIST "the Boys" get ambushed TWICE because these idiots just CAN NOT leave a guy watching their backs. First Firecracker gets the drop on them at the con, then Victoria can roll up with an entire security detail.

And while it was a sad scene, it seems reallllllllyy odd that Hughies dad can straight murder like 3 dudes and then its all quiet for his exit. If this doesn't complete Hughies transition to a hard ass Butcher mofo willing to end V entirely no matter the cost, then its all been a waste.

BadBurger

I should probably bite the bullet and watch Gen V. Reviews online seem to indicate that it gets good and worthwhile after episode 2.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And did anyone get the "woke", "one of the good ones", "Black At It", Big Chief Apache, the product placements for white and black audiences in Deep's movie, "articulate", etc? THAT is a takedown of Corporate America and diet racism that they spew time to time! I loved it!
100% that's something folks are trying to do. Imagine the actor waving around a green can and the streaming AI adds a corporate sponsor to it on the fly based on who pays and what it thinks you will respond to. A fine brown ale for me, a grassy IPA for someone else, diet pepsi, etc.

For me the joke is spoiled a little by having A-train and Sage looking so disgusted by it. The folks that push this stuff have NO AWARENESS of how it looks and I feel those 2 are too inside to "get it" versus some of the audience. They should have made a Bridgerton reference as well because that is an example of the EXACT same thing but one side just nods acceptingly at it. The show tried to make it a "white folks being pandering" statement but the reality is it is a grift engaged in by all ethnicities.

I appreciate The Deep's actor with how far he is willing to take his character. He is 100% the butt of nearly every joke but damn if he doesn't power through it all with a smile and almost never gets a hero moment anymore. He is carrying almost all the Vought/Seven stuff for me since Homelander is basically in his own show at this point and the rest of the Vought shenanigans are pretty trite. Guy is in ridiculous shape as well, fuck those guns!

BigBeauford

I should probably bite the bullet and watch Gen V. Reviews online seem to indicate that it gets good and worthwhile after episode 2.
Gen V was so much better than what Season 4 is putting out (which I sadly gave up on halfway through Episode 1).

Can we please just go back to skewering corporatism and not having the the premise of the show be "what if Trump had superpowers"? It's abysmal.

BadBurger

Gen V was so much better than what Season 4 is putting out (which I sadly gave up on halfway through Episode 1).

Can we please just go back to skewering corporatism and not having the the premise of the show be "what if Trump had superpowers"? It's abysmal.

They’re just skewering conservatives. Not even Trump.

YCoCg

I like that they started making fun of all the DEI and corporate pandering that we see in the current landscape.
The show has pretty much always done that, just sometimes one side takes greater focus, the issue is that some people get angry and hate it when their side is the one being shot at and seems to memory hole themselves into thinking that's all the show does.

Fbh

The latest episode was pretty decent. It was the first one this seasons where I felt the scenes and plot threads outside of the Homelander ones were actually entertaining.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don’t get what is going on with Frenchie. He killed a family 5-10+ years ago which has never been mentioned or was even considered as a problem until this season?

Seems like a very weak storyline. 🤷‍♂️

He got involved with the surviving family member. There's that and Mallory's grandkids. He has a lot of guilt and shame. Why do you think he does so much drugs?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Side note seeing these two just be bros here was funny:

Good grief, as a guy who has only seen Antony Starr in Banshee and The Boys (or at least recognized him in such), seeing him all out of costume and hearing his natural accent TOTALLY shreds his "tough guy" persona! That higher pitched voice and goofy mannerisms.....ACTING!!!

bitbydeath

Gold Member
He got involved with the surviving family member. There's that and Mallory's grandkids. He has a lot of guilt and shame. Why do you think he does so much drugs?
These sorts of storylines shouldn’t pop-up out of nowhere. It reeks of needing a storyline for him and anything at all will do.

Why’s he do drugs? Because he’s one of the boys!

MrMephistoX

I cried at this last episode because I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to my birth mom. Me and my bio siblings were planning to see her in a week and the next day we found out she passed. That scene hit me hard.
Just watched cried for similar reasons then cried again after reading your post! I just came in to say this episode has the best use of the song Old Macdonald Had a Farm in TV history.

Last edited:

JBat

Just got caught up. Starlight's actress looks terrible. That plastic surgery is all I notice during any of her scenes. Really sad.
the abortion thing was pretty week. Hughie dropping the your body your choice was pretty terrible. It was his kid right? They could have used that for some extra conflict/drama. Just feels like it hand waves the actual issue.
Old MacDonald had a farm will never sound the same...

Top Bottom