• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified |OT| It's all about Taction

styl3s

Still can't decide if i want this or Saints Row 4. Loved SR1/2, wasn't a huge fan of SR3 but i did love Crackdown and this looks like a mix between SR and CD.

Kind of leaning towards this only because Amazon is giving $15 and once the credit goes on i can snag SR4 for $20-25

rybrad

Still can't decide if i want this or Saints Row 4. Loved SR1/2, wasn't a huge fan of SR3 but i did love Crackdown and this looks like a mix between SR and CD.

Kind of leaning towards this only because Amazon is giving $15 and once the credit goes on i can snag SR4 for $20-25
I grabbed them both so the real dilemma is which to play first. Although since SR4 is co-op I will probably be doing that first.

I am not sure how the math works out compared to Amazon but you can get The Bureau on GMG for $45 with a $12 credit (and all other pre-order bonuses) and then get Saints Row IV for $40 (with voucher GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN) and apply your $12 credit from the Bureau to bring it down to $28.

I agree with whoever said this thread doesn't need to turn into a debate about my reviews. That's so 2009, guys!

My opinion is pretty well known now. It won't be the only opinion. If you "don't take Jim seriously" anymore, then be happy and confident in that. You don't need to keep publicly reassuring yourself of it, y'know?

I hope anybody who buys this loves it. I wouldn't want people spending money on something they dislike. That harshes your buzz and stops you from having the happy times.

pa22word

I agree with whoever said this thread doesn't need to turn into a debate about my reviews. That's so 2009, guys!

My opinion is pretty well known now. It won't be the only opinion. If you "don't take Jim seriously" anymore, then be happy and confident in that. You don't need to keep publicly reassuring yourself of it, y'know?

I hope anybody who buys this loves it. I wouldn't want people spending money on something they dislike. That harshes your buzz and stops you from having the happy times.

Despite my earlier criticism of you, I still pay more attention to your opinion than 99% of the other reviewers out there. Even if I do think you might get it wrong from time to time, or might be a little inconsistent, at least I learn something about each individual game when I read your reviews, and thus leave more informed on the game upon finishing the review than if I hadn't taken the time to read it. As someone who disregards the vast majority of the gaming media's reviews as poorly written half-baked fluff pieces that go into as much detail as the back of the games' in question boxart, I consider that high praise lol...

FloatOn

Not that I'm in any position to say this, but I'd rather this thread not turn into a debate about Jim Sterling's qualifications as a critic. I was/am as excited about this game as everyone else, but unfortunately all we can do now is wait it out. From personal experience, nothing sucks more than railing someone about a game before launch only to have it turn out objectively awful.

I swear by anything that GAF holds holy that if this game is objectively awful I will change my avatar to some incarnation of the destructoid robot and sing songs of praise to Mr.Sterling

My suspicion though is that this is going to be a brilliant but misunderstood title much like 2k Marin's previous work Bioshock 2. Which, I contend and will debate that it has the greatest gameplay to ever grace a Bioshock game.

And with this, I'll play the waiting game with the rest of you. Tomorrow is going to be amazing friends. Keep hope alive.

Man's got blinders on

image.php

Despite my earlier criticism of you, I still pay more attention to your opinion than 99% of the other reviewers out there. Even if I do think you might get it wrong from time to time, or might be a little inconsistent, at least I learn something about each individual game when I read your reviews, and thus leave more informed on the game upon finishing the review than if I hadn't taken the time to read it. As someone who disregards the vast majority of the gaming media's reviews as poorly written half-baked fluff pieces that go into as much detail as the back of the games' in question boxart, I consider that high praise lol...
That's all I ask! I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I write. All I'd ever ask if that my opinion be considered, rather than disingenuously written off as disingenuous. Agree, disagree, both are great, provided it's not just someone trying to invalidate the opinion to try and kill its contribution to the conversation.

There's no discussion to be had if you ascribe assumed agendas and "the bias" toward a review you disagree with, and what the heck are we doing contributing to the gamer community if we're not interested in a discussion?

Being a poophead, that's what we're doing.

I swear by anything that GAF holds holy that if this game is objectively awful I will change my avatar to some incarnation of the destructoid robot and sing songs of praise to Mr.Sterling

My suspicion though is that this is going to be a brilliant but misunderstood title much like 2k Marin's previous work Bioshock 2. Which, I contend and will debate that it has the greatest gameplay to ever grace a Bioshock game.

And with this, I'll play the waiting game with the rest of you. Tomorrow is going to be amazing friends. Keep hope alive.
I hope you love it!

styl3s

I grabbed them both so the real dilemma is which to play first. Although since SR4 is co-op I will probably be doing that first.

I am not sure how the math works out compared to Amazon but you can get The Bureau on GMG for $45 with a $12 credit (and all other pre-order bonuses) and then get Saints Row IV for $40 (with voucher GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN) and apply your $12 credit from the Bureau to bring it down to $28.
I ended up with SR4 since i know i will enjoy it.

Still getting Bureau but the lack of any reviews right now is worrying me. It's just a matter if of if i buy it at $40-50 or $10-20. Gonna wait for more thoughts and reviews to pop up.

Mrbob

Honestly if I were 2K I'd be pretty livid at them breaking the embargo with that review. It's pretty fucking damaging that on the day before release the only review from the press anyone's seen was a scathing review with a 4.5/10 slapped on the end. Hell, we've already had people in this very topic apparently attempt to cancel their preorders over it. If it had made it up on metacritic, leaving a 45% average it would pretty much destroy the game's rep before it even had a chance on the market.

Regardless of intent, 2K has every right to be extremely pissed off over this.
Then they shouldn't embargo until near release. Let all opinions be heard.

SnipeyMcGee

I'd really prefer to pre-order for the extras, but not being able to read any reviews or see any lengthy one-on-one impressions is turning me off of the idea. The videos I've looked up have a developer present and guiding the experience. No comments from an outsider like, "Hey, the shooting is loose" or them going off the rails a bit to notice bad scripting or bugs.

Teknoman

I'd really prefer to pre-order for the extras, but not being able to read any reviews or see any lengthy one-on-one impressions is turning me off of the idea. The videos I've looked up have a developer present and guiding the experience. No comments from an outsider like, "Hey, the shooting is loose" or them going off the rails a bit to notice bad scripting or bugs.

Well there was that one Centaur gaming review which made it sound like a decent game. I mean the entire set up seems like an interesting experience.

That being said, I really wish publishers would stop with the review embargoes. If your game is good, everyone should know about it as soon as the news is available. And if...not so much, then customers should have the options to see a multitude of opinions well before making a purchasing decision...even if its a pre-order or day-one decision.

I'm glad to see this thread a bit more calm now. I'll be picking this up day one still and getting some videos up about it in the near future.

I've got a strange sense of confidence about this game, I think it'll turn out flawed but ultimately a solid game. It's different and I need something new to play. Reviews are prob gonna harp on it being an x-com game in name only but take that away and judge it on purely the game and it'll be a good game. That's my from-my-ass prediction. We'll find out tonight!

pa22word

Then they shouldn't embargo until near release. Let all opinions be heard.

As others have pointed out before, that's really not a good idea in a week as crowded as this. An embargo prevents rushed, hurried out reviews in order to "THE FIRST!!11" and draw in the most web traffic. It makes sure everyone's on equal grounding when the review lands, and everyone had ample time to finish the game

Yeah, compare their embargo to SRIV's, which was up a week before the game released. One studio wants you to read reviews, one does not.

As it has been proven time and time again: late embargos do not a bad game make. Skyrim, for example, one of the highest reviewed games of the entire generation, and it didn't have its embargo lifted until like 8 hours before launch.

Surely it was because Bethesda didn't want people to hear how bad reviewers thought it was, no?

The more likely situation is that Saint's Row IV went gold earlier than XCOM did and thus got into reviewers hands earlier. Or it may just be that it's a Take2 thing. XCOM EU, if anyone remembers, didn't start getting its reviews until less than a day before it launched either. And we all know how shitty that game was, right? ;P

Unity2012

At this point, there are enough videos, walkthroughs, previews and developers diaries online for us to have a clear idea of what to expect.

The question I ask myself is, do I want to play something new? Or do I pick up one of the sequels coming out same day?

I am happy about the new Splinter Cell and for Saints Row fans. These two new sequels look fun yes, without a doubt, but not a major step up from last.

The Bureau, in spite of its feature similarities with titles like Mass Effect and others, is at least a new take on an already known franchise; it feels fresh to me! worth to give a chance.

BureauBehindTheScenes610.jpg

Karak

At this point, there are enough videos, walkthroughs, previews and developers diaries online for us to have a clear idea of what to expect.

The question I ask myself is, do I want to play something new? Or do I pick up one of the sequels coming out same day?

I am happy about the new Splinter Cell and for Saints Row fans. These two new sequels look fun yes, without a doubt, but not a major step up from last.

The Bureau, in spite of its feature similarities with titles like Mass Effect and others, is at least a new take on an already known franchise; it feels fresh to me! worth to give a chance.

BureauBehindTheScenes610.jpg
Heuser is such a cool fucking last name.
And good points all.

I hope this game is good as the concept sounds like it could be fun but why would you pre order it now without anything substantial to make a purchasing decision on? I'd much rather hear a wider range of feedback and wait a few hours then spend money on something I might find disappointing.

rybrad

I hope this game is good as the concept sounds like it could be fun but why would you pre order it now without anything substantial to make a purchasing decision on? I'd much rather hear a wider range of feedback and wait a few hours then spend money on something I might find disappointing.
I have seen enough gameplay video to know that the game will be appealing to me, even if it has some warts (I did love Alpha Protocol after all). Besides, with the GMG credit deal and selling off the extra bonuses, I got it for dirt cheap so I know I will get my money's worth.

Dire

...Reviews are prob gonna harp on [this] being an x-com game in name only.....

For what it's worth I think that ought be expected when you take a classic IP with a certain expectation and make a mockery of it. I mean isn't the general point of strapping an IP on a title to attract fans of that franchise? From all I've read, Shadowrun on the 360 was actually a great FPS that was even somewhat ahead of its time, but it being labeled Shadowrun meant it was basically DOA. If it weren't reality, trying to turn XCom into a shooter [again FWIW] would be a decent satirical joke about the current state of mega publishers in the west. If Final Fantasy were owned by a western mega publisher you can rest assured we'd have long since seen "Final Fantasy Death Walker: Sephiroth gets an Uzi, but Cloud gets an AK. It's time to kick some alien test tube baby ASS. COMING THIS NOVEMBER!"

Shawsie64

Banned
I don't get reviews.. Either you like something or you don't. Taste is subjective and I'm not sure why people take other peoples own tastes as gospel. Music reviewers and the people who follow them are the worst, especially when people only like stuff they are told to like via reviewers.

It's going to be like Aliens: Colonial Marines where I'm streaming the game and an hour into that the reviews launch and it's 2s, 4s, and so on :D

But really, I have hope the game will turn out well. And if nothing else I got the rest of the X-Com games for the $30 I paid so I can hardly complain.

Teknoman

I don't get reviews.. Either you like something or you don't. Taste is subjective and I'm not sure why people take other peoples own tastes as gospel. Music reviewers and the people who follow them are the worst, especially when people only like stuff they are told to like via reviewers.

Its not about the scores for me, just learning more indepth info about the game, without going into spoilers.

That's also when the game releases.

Oh..hmm.

Well either way, I liked what I saw earlier in the centaur gaming review and the gamespot preview. Not to mention those really cool live action videos.

Teknoman

GMG20-4B9NY-L4FEN

20% off.

The code does work for North American accounts. Just used it on GMG + 3 dollars credit I had laying around = 37 bucks.

All I have in my email is the code for Declassified, Spec Ops, and the codebreaker mission, no ultimate bundle code...unless that auto adds to your inventory after redeeming on steam.

rybrad

The code does work for North American accounts. Just used it on GMG + 3 dollars credit I had laying around = 37 bucks.

All I have in my email is the code for Declassified, Spec Ops, and the codebreaker mission, no ultimate bundle code...unless that auto adds to your inventory after redeeming on steam.
It is a separate key. Check your library on the GMG site, it should be listed as X-Com Collection. If not, contact their support, they are usually really good about resolving issues.

Teknoman

Thanks. Sent an email to support...and on that note...not exactly sure how the extra cash back/ credit was supposed to work lol.

Skunkers

Going to a midnight launch tonight to scoop Blacklist. Can't decide whether I want to grab this too or not. Lack of reviews are leading me towards no. Might wait for the bomba. =(

Top Bottom