• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bureau: X-COM Declassified |OT| It's all about Taction

pa22word

For what it's worth I think that ought be expected when you take a classic IP with a certain expectation and make a mockery of it. I mean isn't the general point of strapping an IP on a title to attract fans of that franchise? From all I've read, Shadowrun on the 360 was actually a great FPS that was even somewhat ahead of its time, but it being labeled Shadowrun meant it was basically DOA. If it weren't reality, trying to turn XCom into a shooter [again FWIW] would be a decent satirical joke about the current state of mega publishers in the west. If Final Fantasy were owned by a western mega publisher you can rest assured we'd have long since seen "Final Fantasy Death Walker: Sephiroth gets an Uzi, but Cloud gets an AK. It's time to kick some alien test tube baby ASS. COMING THIS NOVEMBER!"

....so I take it you haven't been paying attention to this game at all, right? This game isn't XCOM: CoD edition at all, and that should be obvious to anyone who's watched even a a minute of gameplay footage. Honestly dude that entire post comes off as very ignorant, almost like you looked at a single screenshot and condemned the game.

Still can't decide if i want this or Saints Row 4. Loved SR1/2, wasn't a huge fan of SR3 but i did love Crackdown and this looks like a mix between SR and CD.

Kind of leaning towards this only because Amazon is giving $15 and once the credit goes on i can snag SR4 for $20-25

I preordered both. So I'm covered no matter how the chips fall.

Lunzio

I'd really prefer to pre-order for the extras, but not being able to read any reviews or see any lengthy one-on-one impressions is turning me off of the idea. The videos I've looked up have a developer present and guiding the experience. No comments from an outsider like, "Hey, the shooting is loose" or them going off the rails a bit to notice bad scripting or bugs.

I've literally turned to the Steam pre-order page a number of times over the last week for this exact reason. The pre-orders are what entices (though I've played Spec Ops). I can't help but leave the page after a minute or two of thought about it. Got that Saints Row 4 to play anyways.

The code does work for North American accounts. Just used it on GMG + 3 dollars credit I had laying around = 37 bucks.

All I have in my email is the code for Declassified, Spec Ops, and the codebreaker mission, no ultimate bundle code...unless that auto adds to your inventory after redeeming on steam.

I just used that code on my account and it doesn't seem to do anything.

What gives?

Well, I finally got the code working, but now I cannot purchase it. I push the make payment button and nothing happens.

What gives?

golem

*takes finger off the preorder button*

Damn this one actually looked interesting to me.. will wait for a price drop i suppose

Teknoman

Gamespot pros and cons:

The Good
Great period atmosphere The basic third-person shooting is enjoyable Certain plot developments shake up the proceedings.

The Bad
Squad management on the battlefield gets tedious Laborious storytelling Fails to capture the tension of the XCOM series.

That sounds more like a high 7 at least?

Haven't gotten a chance to look through everything completely. However, after a quick scan through of the reviews...they probably shouldn't have put xcom anywhere near this thing.

PC version has Tessellation and Physx effects
bill-cosby.gif

You know I am sorry, but I keep reading these reviews and I just DONT GET IT!

IGN gives the game a 5.5 which usually means crap, but the way they described it, it looked like a fun game and there complaints seemed dumb.

They mention in the review how you gain an alien review, but never explain it.

Well ................... so what?

Who gives a crap!

How does that affect the gameplay, at all? Pretty stupid complaint.

All of these reviews make the game sound better than what it is getting score-wise and many of the complaints just make no sense.

Teknoman

IGN gives the game a 5.5 which usually means crap, but the way they described it, it looked like a fun game and there complaints seemed dumb.

Who gives a crap!

All of these reviews make the game sound better than what it is getting score-wise and many of the complaints just make no sense.

Honestly alot of the complaints seem to be that its only X-COM in name. Its nothing like a Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City or Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus. Its a generally good game that takes place in the same universe, but tries to take some elements and mold it into a shooter. Of course this is just from reading and watching the reviews. My opinion might change after playing the game, but after Enemy Unknown, i'm just interested in the universe in general.

At any rate I wonder what would've happened if Starcraft: Ghost released...

pa22word

PC version has Tessellation and Physx effects
bill-cosby.gif

If you have an ATI card I wouldn't get too pumped. It's running pretty poorly on my end (5870) regardless of what I do to my direct x settings or how low I adjust sliders. It's a "the way it's meant to be played game", though, so I expect these issues to be smoothed out once an update or two rolls out and/or ATI updates their drivers.

Karak

Who gives a crap!

It is pretty much exactly what I was talking about in my review and how you have to go into it.

From IGN:

IGN said:
Here's where it all falls apart: The concept of squaddie permadeath (borrowed from X-COM: UFO Defense and Enemy Unknown), simply doesn’t work properly in a game with one character that must live. Any situation where a fight went so badly that I wasn’t able to reach a downed squaddie before his bleedout timer expired was so bad I was probably doomed anyway. And when Carter dies, he and any dead squaddies are revived at the checkpoint to try again. It's a bizarre system that punishes partial failure more severely than total failure.

Vindicated.

If you have an ATI card I wouldn't get too pumped. It's running pretty poorly on my end (5870) regardless of what I do to my direct x settings or how low I adjust sliders. It's a "the way it's meant to be played game", though, so I expect these issues to be smoothed out once an update or two rolls out and/or ATI updates their drivers.

Luckily I'm on a 670. Shame about the typical issues for those not using Nvidia.

I'm blown away by how good the PC version looks though as a PC user. Physx destruction, great lighting, FOV slider, and use of tessellation. Was not expecting this to be a looker at all. The grain effect is also handled very well.

One downside would be compressed cutscenes though.

pa22word

Luckily I'm on a 670. Shame about the typical issues for those not using Nvidia.

Yeah it's gotten to the point where if I boot up a new release and see that fucking nvidia logo I know I'm in for a rough ride, and I might as well shelve the game until the developer and ati get together and properly optimize the game.

edit: yeah, just dropped every setting in the game to low or off and the game is still hovering around 30-40 FPS with dips....which is exactly where it was before I dropped the sliders, lol

probably just going to shelve it for a few days until marin and ati get this shit worked out.

Can others playing the DX11 steam version confirm that the steam overlay is currently broken? Loads my mouse cursor and screenshots taken are black. On windows 8.1

Game is gorgeous on PC, did not expect PhysX and tesellation. Lighting is excellent and the art style is fantastic. At the very least, the game look incredible.

Top Bottom