• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
LOL, I just realized that brutality of Murray's quarter.

Roddick, del Potro, Cilic, Raonic, Anderson, Karlovic....all in his quarter. LMAO

nan0

And Kohlschreiber or Haas could play Nadal in the 4th round

I would love to see how Haas does against him on grass.

Are the results from Halle any meaningful? Or wanted Nadal and Roger to just chillax and didn't use their full potential?

Lancehead

Are the results from Halle any meaningful? Or wanted Nadal and Roger to just chillax and didn't use their full potential?

Nadal's first week performances would probably be patchy as he plays his way into the tournament. That is to be expected because of the considerable transformation in his play style from clay and a lack of substantial match practice.

Saty

Venus second round.

Although it's grass, i'm less worried about Venus seeing Rad beat hear this year on hard court and clay.

Radwanska needs to capitalize on not having Azarenka in the SF. Most of the tournaments where the draw favored her that way (or in Azarenka's early exit) she suffered 'shock' defeats.

I'm also not pleased how Radwanska says every time how she prefers hard courts and dislikes clay\grass. Almost like giving up in advance on reaching the final stages.

MIMIC

Banned
I would love to see how Haas does against him on grass.

Those matches aren't really indicative of anything TOO meaningful. But I wouldn't completely discard them. Nadal is pretty vulnerable to big hitters on grass. If he ends up playing Haas or Tsonga, he's gonna have to be on his toes.

szaromir

Banned
Although it's grass, i'm less worried about Venus seeing Rad beat hear this year on hard court and clay.

Radwanska needs to capitalize on not having Azarenka in the SF. Most of the tournaments where the draw favored her that way (or in Azarenka's early exit) she suffered 'shock' defeats.

I'm also not pleased how Radwanska says every time how she prefers hard courts and dislikes clay\grass. Almost like giving up in advance on reaching the final stages.

Grass is her favorite surface.
Venus has bigger chance on grass as she'll be encouraged to go for her shots and less of them will come back. We'll see in a couple of days I guess.

Hopefuly Tsonga can stun Nadal like he did Federer last year. No choking like at Roland Garros please.

Peru

OP updated with draws.

Fairly balanced on the women's side.

Lots of good stuff first few rounds for both genders! Hell yeah Wimbledon!

Maria vs grassGOAT Pironkova 2R.

Saty

Grass is her favorite surface.
Venus has bigger chance on grass as she'll be encouraged to go for her shots and less of them will come back. We'll see in a couple of days I guess.

Hopefuly Tsonga can stun Nadal like he did Federer last year. No choking like at Roland Garros please.

Grass isn't Radwanska's favorite surface. After her 1st-round Eastbourne defeat she said "I think I just prefer hardcourt, that's for sure." Before Venus, i hope Rad gets to a smooth start in the first round.

szaromir

Banned
Grass isn't Radwanska's favorite surface. After her 1st-round Eastbourne defeat she said "I think I just prefer hardcourt, that's for sure." Before Venus, i hope Rad gets to a smooth start in the first round.
Maybe she does now, given she's had lackluster Wimbledon apperances for the past few years.

It's funny, there's a rematch from this year's Halle SF already, Haas vs Kohlschreiber. After his stunning run in Halle Haas is one to watch, though I doubt he can be as successful in the best of 5 formula.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nadal/Haas would be sweet as hell

Also looking forward to how Haase does again del Potro

Man these tennis organisation are fucking ridiculous... Why is there no schedule of play?!?!?!?!?! Why do I have to wait until the day itself to know when the hell who is playing who. God damnit I hate these motherfuckers.

szaromir

Banned
Man these tennis organisation are fucking ridiculous... Why is there no schedule of play?!?!?!?!?! Why do I have to wait until the day itself to know when the hell who is playing who. God damnit I hate these motherfuckers.
Top halves play Monday, Djoker opens the tournament on central court. Kvitova plays the first match on CC on Tuesday.
I think they're still waiting for this week's tournaments to end, eg. if Eastbourne finals were delayed to Sunday and Seppi and Roddick played a marathon match, it'd be a shame if it turned out Seppi was scheduled to play Wimby R1 Monday morning...

Globox_82

Banned
Everyone forgets this is on grass so we can see a tn of stupid comments.

Nadal can not hurt Novak on fast courts. If anything Novak will obliterate him just like how he did last year at Wimbledon and USO (FAST courts). Rafa can not flatten his shot like novak can, and from both wings.
If Rafa survives first week, always though for him, until grass goes away from baseline part and becomes more slower and easier for him to move.My pick is Novak, then Roger. Nadal won't make final.

Lancehead

Nadal can not hurt Novak on fast courts. If anything Novak will obliterate him just like how he did last year at Wimbledon and USO (FAST courts). Rafa can not flatten his shot like novak can, and from both wings.
If Rafa survives first week, always though for him, until grass goes away from baseline part and becomes more slower and easier for him to move.My pick is Novak, then Roger. Nadal won't make final.

The reason Djokovic beat Nadal 7 times last year is not because Nadal can't compete with him on faster courts.

szaromir

Banned

Last year USO was very slow compared to previous and didn't seem any faster than Australian Open. Wimbledon is also very slow compared to what it used to be (though maybe they sped it up this year). The reason why a player like Nadal has two titles and is a two-time runner up.

Sadly there are very few fast tournaments anymore, Paris and London indoors, Cincinnati, Montreal, Dubai...

Hyphen

[7] Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v Tamira Paszek (AUT)

That should be an interesting match. Watched Paszek beat Kerber the other day, and I can see her causing an upset against Wozniacki. I used to have high hopes for Caroline, but I don't think she will ever have the power to win a Grand Slam. Far too many other players with less talent cause her problems simply because they hit the ball much harder than her.

Oh well, I'll look forward to seeing Heather Watson fly the flag for as long as possible.
And Sabine Lisicki's legs, and Maria Kirilenko's face...

Peru

604971651.jpeg

Centre Court 1PM

Novak Djokovic (SRB)[1]
v
Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)

Maria Sharapova (RUS)[1]
v
Anastasia Rodionova (AUS)

Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
v
Tomas Berdych (CZE)[6]

Court No. 1 1PM

David Nalbandian (ARG)
v
Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)[8]

Roger Federer (SUI)[3]
v
Albert Ramos (ESP)

Kim Clijsters (BEL)
v
Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[18]

Man, Sharapova really is fucking smoking isn't she?

Anyway, I love watching Wimbledon on TV..but since I work in Wimbledon it's a fucking pain. So many Americans moving slowly with their bumbags (Fanny packs to you guys)

UGGGHGHGHGHG

szaromir

Banned
... and a moustache.

Nalbandian vs Tipsarevic seems like the most interesting match of the day. Let's hope it delivers.

Jay Sosa

There are hotter tennis players these days, but she's got the CLASS.

yep, she's so graceful, like a swan not only off but also on court. Just like Federer.

A bit OT: I just read the Agassi bio and it's absolutely brilliant. Oh and winning ugly, wish I'd have read it sooner.

I'm rooting for anything but a Djokovic - Nadal final.

I've never seen a Head ball.

Seriously? I'd say about 90% play with head where I'm from

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
roof? check. lights? check.

already better than Paris and, soon to be, Flushing Meadow.

let's go Novak!

szaromir

Banned
btw: How can you make a grass court slower? Let it grow a bit longer?

I honestly have no idea.
I can imagine the soil components are different. Also you might make the ground softer to take more impact from the ball and make the balls heavier. Different grass might make a difference as well. Just my guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom