• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.
haven't kept up with this tournament at ALL due to the Euro ending yesterday, so get me up to speed here guys:

I hear Nadal is OUT? Is Djoker still in? Because if he's gone too then Fed might actually have a shot at another slam right? ;)

MattJon

From the Wimbledon liveblog:

19:41 News from the Referee's Office: There will be no further play on Centre Court tonight. Play will resume tomorrow at noon on both Centre Court and No. 1 Court.

PaulLFC

I am positive players like Sharapova, Azarenka, Cadantu and Jovanovski developed their shrieks deliberately ever since they (or their junior coaches) found out Seles' grunts bothered her opponents and they couldn't do anything about it and use it as a blatant gamesmanship tactic. I refuse to believe such breathing techniques are natural.
Same. There's no way Sharapova needs to shout/shriek/whatever that loudly when she plays a shot, no way at all. Sometimes players make noise on powerful shots, but there's no way it needs to be that loud. She should be made to cut it out. I was impressed with how Lisicki dealt with it today, I know she complained about Jovanovski's screeching in one of the earlier matches (don't blame her really, that was way over the top as well).

From the Wimbledon liveblog:
That's just silly, especially since the roof's closed and they could technically play until 11pm.

If anyone could manage to take Djokovic out, Federer would win the tournament.

Sadly no one can.

that's somewhat of a Conundrum isn't it?

Nadal could take him out but he's gone... now shouldn't the guy that took nadal out be able to take Djoker out?

Also if the guy that would take Djoker out was good enough for that, Fed STILL wouldn't get past him maybe :p

John Dunbar

correct about everything

Nadal could take him out but he's gone... now shouldn't the guy that took nadal out be able to take Djoker out?

Also if the guy that would take Djoker out was good enough for that, Fed STILL wouldn't get past him maybe :p

it's a shame reality doesn't work like that.

Speevy

Banned

If the guy who took Nadal out wasn't Lukas Rosol (who lost to Kohlschreiber in the next round), you could be on to something.

Djokovic's just encountering too little resistance compared to the people who can realistically beat him.

PaulLFC

So Djokovic has won and there's over 3 hours until they'd be forced to stop play - roof is closed, lights are on - why would you *not* play another match?

Speevy

Banned
In a statement, Novak Djokovic addressed the suspension by saying "Hey, if Florian Mayer and Richard Gasquet want to team up, I'll beat them real quick."

eh i guess Djoker will take this one again then...

Sometimes i wonder why Fed still keeps playing, i mean if i was him, i'd call it a day and retire as one of the all time greats instead of trying to keep beating Nadal+Djoker at majors, it's NOT gonna happen anymore, his time is over.. maybe he really doesn't mind dangling around as number 3 and doesn't care about the downgrade from living legend/unbeatable nr 1 player in the world to a very good player that is only second to Djokovic...and Nadal... :(

sorry, but i always get bitter when i see great champions that could have had the "perfect" career miss the right time to retire!

sfedai0

Banned
I adamantly believe that Fed's issue with Nadal and now, Djokovic is purely mental. For so many years, he was dominating at will, and in his prime comes a young upstart that managed to not only challenge but consistently beat him. That plants a seed of doubt, especially in a solitary sport like this one.

I hope he can have one last hurrah, like Sampras and retire on a high note. Dont be one of those former stars that languish as an elite, but never quite able to be a champion again.

Saty

If Federer was to retire the first time people said so, he would have less records and achievements than he has now.

Speevy

Banned
If every player at or nearing 30 retired right now because they had dropped 2 places in the rankings, the ATP would look kinda weird.

it's NOT gonna happen anymore, his time is over

and then it happens. agassi snagged one at 33 i think. if he loves playing he should, still winning big non majors and he won the WTF aka the 5th slam just 7 months ago.

if he doesn't win one this year and no olympic medal i think 2013 will be his last though.

he is basically one match away from being number 1 again. god i hate federer is done posts so much.

Hasn't he said one of his biggest motivations to keep on playing is so that his daughters can see him play?

Something like that anyway. I think he should keep playing. He is still doing well and gets to the semi finals or the finals. Sure he hasn't won a major for a while now but he won the ATP Masters last year and he is still a good enough player to beat Nadal or Djokovic if they have an off day or if he just has an amazing one. I can still see him winning another slam over the next couple of years...he isn't a favourite or anything but it's hardly like he has no hope whatsoever.

szaromir

Banned

Sometimes i wonder why Fed still keeps playing, i mean if i was him, i'd call it a day and retire as one of the all time greats instead of trying to keep beating Nadal+Djoker at majors, it's NOT gonna happen anymore, his time is over.. maybe he really doesn't mind dangling around as number 3 and doesn't care about the downgrade from living legend/unbeatable nr 1 player in the world to a very good player that is only second to Djokovic...and Nadal... :(

sorry, but i always get bitter when i see great champions that could have had the "perfect" career miss the right time to retire!

What a terrible attitude. It's not the victory that matters but the pursuit of it. If he manages to lift a major trophy one more time I'm sure he appreciate it that much more, and all the times he failed won't matter.

agrajag

Banned

Why should he stop playing? I guess everyone except for Djoker and Nadal just stop playing too? He's still better than everyone else in the field except for TWO guys.

PaulLFC

The highlights of Sharapova v Lisicki are on. So glad I won't have to listen to Sharapova's screeching any more after today, beyond annoying.

szaromir

Banned
The highlights of Sharapova v Lisicki are on. So glad I won't have to listen to Sharapova's screeching any more after today, beyond annoying.

If only Paszek could take out Azarenka we would have shriek-free semis. Too bad her serve is shit and Azarenka's return of serve is excellent. :(

What a terrible attitude. It's not the victory that matters but the pursuit of it. If he manages to lift a major trophy one more time I'm sure he appreciate it that much more, and all the times he failed won't matter.

sure i agree, but look at how long he HAS been trying to achieve JUST that now? at some point i'd call it quits plain and simple...

And of course if this is what he really enjoys doing then by all means he should, i just can't shake the feeling that he is chasing a hopeless dream here or that he somehow can't believe that he lost his mojo to other players that are somehow now better than he is and he can't really "accept" that or something!

I mean we're not talking about some random player here, we're talking about THE Roger Federer, the guy that used to basically be untouchable for a very long time, noone even came CLOSE to beating him...

Either way, this is purely my opinion, as i said, if i was him i'd quit now and be remembered as a legend rather than an awesome tennis player during some period that then got overshadowed by even better players. (though he will be a legend regardless because of the many titles he DID win luckily)

this whole thing now just kinda "sours the taste" a little if you know what i mean..

MIMIC

Banned

He wants that gold medal

if roger wins that one match against djokovic he is pretty much guaranteed to be world number one and wimbledon winner.

one frikkin match.

if roger wins that one match against djokovic he is pretty much guaranteed to be world number one and wimbledon winner.

one frikkin match.

i know, but unless Djoker is either a) injured or b) has a reeeeeaaaaallly bad day and Fed has an awesome one, it's not gonna happen :( though i wish it would

As much as I'd love for Federer to win, seeing each of their matches from the past week, Djokovic is on a completely different level. That semi is going to be painful.

szaromir

Banned
sure i agree, but look at how long he HAS been trying to achieve JUST that now? at some point i'd call it quits plain and simple...

And of course if this is what he really enjoys doing then by all means he should, i just can't shake the feeling that he is chasing a hopeless dream here or that he somehow can't believe that he lost his mojo to other players that are somehow now better than he is and he can't really "accept" that or something!

I mean we're not talking about some random player here, we're talking about THE Roger Federer, the guy that used to basically be untouchable for a very long time, noone even came CLOSE to beating him...

Either way, this is purely my opinion, as i said, if i was him i'd quit now and be remembered as a legend rather than an awesome tennis player during some period that then got overshadowed by even better players. (though he will be a legend regardless because of the many titles he DID win luckily)

this whole thing now just kinda "sours the taste" a little if you know what i mean..

I don't know what you mean. Accomplishment wise and peak-wise Federer is still widely considered as the best of all time, that has not changed even if there are two guys who have challenged Federer in the post-2007 era. Federer is still easily the best fast court player out there and by a wide margin... sadly Wimbledon isn't fast anymore.

But there are other incentives to continue his career. First, he apparently loves playing and competing, even if he's not the best player. Second he still earns $50M a year via prize money and endorsements, it would be only a fraction of that if he was a retired legend - seems like a reason good enough for me. Third, tennis players are entertainers first and foremost and people love his brand of tennis the most (even if more error struck than it used to be), so why should he stop?

Tookay

You have to consider the economics of the situation. He has a family to support and provide for. I don't think he's as caught up in the short-term implications of his continued play as some of his fans are. He's already secured his legacy.

I don't know what you mean. Accomplishment wise and peak-wise Federer is still widely considered as the best of all time, that has not changed even if there are two guys who have challenged Federer in the post-2007 era. Federer is still easily the best fast court player out there and by a wide margin... sadly Wimbledon isn't fast anymore.

But there are other incentives to continue his career. First, he apparently loves playing and competing, even if he's not the best player. Second he still earns $50M a year via prize money and endorsements, it would be only a fraction of that if he was a retired legend - seems like a reason good enough for me. Third, tennis players are entertainers first and foremost and people love his brand of tennis the most (even if more error struck than it used to be), so why should he stop?

Money is most certainly NOT an issue here, Fed could stop right now and easily live 3 or 4 lifetimes off what he has made so far through tournament earnings, publicity, and investments...

Even if he still IS the most successful player ever right now, that title will probably go to Nadal or Djoker pretty soon because unless they get injured or some new challenger rises, they will surpass Fed in the coming years.

szaromir

Banned
Money is most certainly NOT an issue here, Fed could stop right now and easily live 3 or 4 lifetimes off what he has made so far through tournament earnings, publicity, and investments...

Even if he still IS the most successful player ever right now, that title will probably go to Nadal or Djoker pretty soon because unless they get injured or some new challenger rises, they will surpass Fed in the coming years.

Yeah he has enough money, but he can always make more money doing what he likes, so why not?

If Federer can somehow sneak a slam or two and several more weeks at #1 then his records will probably go unchallenged for decades to come unless a male equivalent of Steffi Graf appears out of the blue. Nadal has a shot at beating Fed's number of slams given his total domination at Roland Garros and occasionally sneaking other majors here and there, Djokovic is soooo far behind in both categories and is already 25 yo.

Bottom line, Federer is not tarnishing his legacy, he's extending it.

If Nadal passes Fed with Grand Slam wins (it is probable), almost all of those wins will have come from Roland Garros. I'm sorry, but if 60%+ of your wins come on clay, there is no way I could say you are the greatest of all time. Federer is more consistent across surfaces and that's why he's one of the best of all time.

If Nadal passes Fed with Grand Slam wins (it is probable), almost all of those wins will have come from Roland Garros. I'm sorry, but if 60%+ of your wins come on clay, there is no way I could say you are the greatest of all time. Federer was more consistent across surfaces and that's why he's one of the best of all time.

fixed ;)

yeah, i will agree with the fact that right now he still IS the best no question, but the others are catching up on him so rapidly it's not even funny...

If Djokovic manages to keep his game up for another 5-7 years i expect it's not unrealistic to catch up to Fed, i mean he's been practically winning every slam except for RG for a while now hasn't he?

szaromir

Banned
fixed ;)

yeah, i will agree with the fact that right now he still IS the best no question, but the others are catching up on him so rapidly it's not even funny...

If Djokovic manages to keep his game up for another 5-7 years i expect it's not unrealistic to catch up to Fed, i mean he's been practically winning every slam except for RG for a while now hasn't he?
Djokovic played second fiddle to Federer/Nadal for far too long to be able to break their records. He won't sustain his form over the next 5-7 years, he will inevitably start declining in 2-3 years. Especially if Roger somehow sneaks 1 or 2 more slams, players like Murray or Delpo reach new heights etc. As amazing as Djokovic is, he's only won 2 titles this year,which is a huge decline from last year and shows he's not able to maintain the same level over extended time (Roger obviously had his ups and downs in his peak years as well).

And Federer is more consistent across surfaces than Nadal, his last exit at GS in round 2 or earlier was over 9 years ago, whereas Nadal's happened last week.

You're absolutely crazy brah.

agrajag

Banned
Djokovic played second fiddle to Federer/Nadal for far too long to be able to break their records. He won't sustain his form over the next 5-7 years, he will inevitably start declining in 2-3 years. Especially if Roger somehow sneaks 1 or 2 more slams, players like Murray or Delpo reach new heights etc. As amazing as Djokovic is, he's only won 2 titles this year,which is a huge decline from last year and shows he's not able to maintain the same level over extended time (Roger obviously had his ups and downs in his peak years as well).

And Federer is more consistent across surfaces than Nadal, his last exit at GS in round 2 or earlier was over 9 years ago, whereas Nadal's happened last week.

It might be too early to call, but Nadal is already declining. Who knows, the Rosol loss may be a fluke, or a sign of things to come. And I agree that Djoker probably won't be able to sustain this level of athletic play for years. Roger's style of play is sustainable, which is why I see him playing at a high level well into his 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom