• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akito

But wow this Sabine girl is great, where did she come from? Last year she was pretty bad.
Wut, she's reached the semi last year. Her comeback against Na Li in the second round was one of the most epic ones I've ever seen. It was the best year in her career so far.

Malisse breaks and holds to start the fourth set vs. Federer.

WUT

edit: Anyone else calling Cilic to beat Murray? I'm calling Cilic. (although I really hope he doesn't get too tired and lose)

mclem

Random realisation: Why *is* Federer in Djokovich's half of the draw?. At the semifinal stage I would have imagined you'd like it to be 1v4 on one side, 2v3 on the other, meaning that the final match would be contested between one of 1v2, 1v3, 4v2 or 4v3. That seems preferable to having the semis be 1v3 and 2v4, with finals being 1v2, 1v4, 3v2 or 3v4.

Ultimately, cancelling out the same results, you've either got a draw with a final that could be 1v3 or 2v4, or a draw with a final that's 1v4 or 2v3. I'd personally imagine that the first draw is preferable, though.

MIMIC

Banned
Random realisation: Why *is* Federer in Djokovich's half of the draw?. At the semifinal stage I would have imagined you'd like it to be 1v4 on one side, 2v3 on the other, meaning that the title would be 1v2, 1v3, 4v2 or 4v3. That seems preferable to having the semis be 1v3 and 2v4, with finals being 1v2, 1v4, 3v2 or 3v4.

Ultimately, cancelling out the same results, you've either got a draw with a final that could be 1v3 or 2v4, or a draw with a final that's 1v4 or 2v3. I'd personally imagine that the first draw is preferable, though.

Short answer: the draws are rigged :mad:

Long answer: when the draw is made, the only guarantee is that #1 & #2 are on opposite sides. The rest of the seeds are "randomly" placed on either side: #3 goes on one, #4 goes on the other. #5 goes on one, #6 goes on the other. And so forth....

This allows Fed and Novak to be on the same side a jillion times in a row, due to the "luck of the draw" (unless they are #1 & #2)

LuuKyK

Wut, she's reached the semi last year. Her comeback against Na Li in the second round was one of the most epic ones I've ever seen. It was the best year in her career so far.

Oh, sorry, I didn't follow her last year so I had no idea she was already a good player. Just watched her play against Sharapova in the semis and thats it.

PaulLFC

Looks like I jinxed Sharapova. lol But wow this Sabine girl is great, where did she come from? Last year she was pretty bad.

It is indeed hard not to like her, she is always happy and cheerful. Very nice win, and it seems Clijsters is going out too, so we will have a german quarter final with Lisicki and Kerber?

Oh and Sharapova was just dreadful with those double faults and unforced errors. Terrible. And if Azarenka goes past Ivanovic she will be the number one again? Or even Radwanska? lololol

Edit: Malisse just broke lol this monday...
She got to the semi final last year! :p Lost to Sharapova, incidentally.

Really happy for her, she played great today and easily deserved to win that. Thankfully, it also means as an added bonus I don't have to listen to Sharapova's shrieking any more. She really should be made to stop that, it's ridiculous.

mcfrank

Random realisation: Why *is* Federer in Djokovich's half of the draw?. At the semifinal stage I would have imagined you'd like it to be 1v4 on one side, 2v3 on the other, meaning that the final match would be contested between one of 1v2, 1v3, 4v2 or 4v3. That seems preferable to having the semis be 1v3 and 2v4, with finals being 1v2, 1v4, 3v2 or 3v4.

It is random. 3 seed will randomly be placed into the top or bottom half of the draw and 4 seed will be placed in the other half. Then 5-8 seeds are randomly placed in their respective available slots. This keeps the same players from always playing each other in the same round. That said, federer has randomly been in djokers half way too many times.

LuuKyK

Yeah poor Clijsters, she didn't seem motivated at all today. Sad way to end her Wimbledon career. Also, Kerber just sends back every damn ball, how is that possible? lol

OK Fed go ly dow. Have someone squirt oil on your back so when you get through your ez-mode QF you don't get triple bageled by Djokovic.

MIMIC

Banned
LOL, Malisse trying to out do Benneteau

"I can lose more pathetically than you can!" Can Istomin show them both up?

szaromir

Banned
I am very happy Clijsters is out. She's been doing mockery of the tour for the past year and a half and it's good that a top 10 player embarrassed her.

I am very happy Clijsters is out. She's been doing mockery of the tour for the past year and a half and it's good that a top 10 player embarrassed her.

I hear ya. Fucking hate that bullshit. If you're going to retire, fucking retire. All this nonsense drama for nothing.

Good riddance.

clemenx

Banned
LOL, Malisse trying to out do Benneteau

"I can lose more pathetically than you can!" Can Istomin show them both up?

Why do you want Fed to lose so much? Wouldn't you rather seeing Nole destroy him? ;)

Anyways, how in the fuck is Istomin the QF opponent? I haven't been following the draw.

Kyoufu

Every time I bet on Murray to lose he just somehow comes back.

I'm not betting on this shit again.
LLShC.gif

MIMIC

Banned
Why do you want Fed to lose so much? Wouldn't you rather seeing Nole destroy him? ;)

You're right. But any day Fed loses is a great day for me ^_^

Anyways, how in the fuck is Istomin the QF opponent? I haven't been following the draw.

He's not in the QF....yet. But with Fed's luck, he'd surely be able to play unseeded opponents all the way to the QFs.

szaromir

Banned
isn't that a default? or is that only if you do it in anger?

He was serving. Linespeople are supposed to dodge the balls if they're on a collision course. She has only herself to blame for working with such slow reflexes (which begs the question if she should perform that job to begin with).

mclem

He was serving. Linespeople are supposed to dodge the balls if they're on a collision course. She has only herself to blame for working with such slow reflexes (which begs the question if she should perform that job to begin with).
Perhaps she wasn't sure, and thought she'd check the ball for chalk dust to be certain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom