• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
Nadal would have to win RG every year for the next five years to tie Roger's record. I find it hard to believe that within this time frame that either one or both of these scenarios happen.

A) Nadal begins to decline
B) One or more new star players will emerge that will challenge both Nadal and Djoker at the slams.

The courts will only get slower and slower, which I don't want to admit he may have a chance. But he will not be GOAT, Roger is the most ruthless and brutal champion that has ever lived.

MIMIC

Banned
I can't stand Federer but even I can't deny that he would still be the GOAT even if Nadal managed to surpass him in number of slams. Fed is a substantially more complete player and while slam tally encompasses a large chunk of the GOAT factor, he's too far ahead in other aspects for Nadal to edge him.

moojito

What are you guys talking about, this is totally Murray's tournament, right? Right guys?

Guys?

tumbleweed.jpg

szaromir

Banned
It might be too early to call, but Nadal is already declining. Who knows, the Rosol loss may be a fluke, or a sign of things to come. And I agree that Djoker probably won't be able to sustain this level of athletic play for years. Roger's style of play is sustainable, which is why I see him playing at a high level well into his 30's.

Federer's already declined quite a bit in the last few years, he's much more inconsistent than he used to be. I thinkk it has to do with the fact that reflexes slow down when you hit 30 (or so), so he can't always time his shots perfectly and errors leak. My guess anyway. Looking at Roland Garros SF 2011 and 2012, in 2012 he had early leads in every set that he wasted every single time. I don't think Roger from the year before would let that happen.

Federer's already declined quite a bit in the last few years, he's much more inconsistent than he used to be. I thinkk it has to do with the fact that reflexes slow down when you hit 30 (or so), so he can't always time his shots perfectly and errors leak. My guess anyway. Looking at Roland Garros SF 2011 and 2012, in 2012 he had early leads in every set that he wasted every single time. I don't think Roger from the year before would let that happen.

imo it's a combination of :

- Mental block (since he keeps losing to Nadal+Djoko it's become a vicious cycle)

- motivation : he already won everything, so the simple fact of cementing his legacy even MORE is no longer enough to drive him, his passion is not as strong anymore as it used to be, not enough to beat the other 2 guys anyway.

- he is past his prime physically

- He has been unable to reinvent himself to cope with the new dominating styles of Nadal and Djoker

Babalu.

sharapova and ivanovic both out on the same day?!

well women's tennis is officially done for me.

with both of them eliminated, the average hotness of the final women just dropped into the negatives.

only thing left to watch is federer take out djokovic

szaromir

Banned
It is a tough ask at this point. Still, Federer can still do it if he has a good day, but he will need to bring more focus than he usually does these days. Just one final slam and a few additional weeks (or months) would be amazing and a great, inspiring story.

modulaire

The mens side of the competition is disappointing. The matches lack excitement (with one or two exceptions).

I had more fun with the girls this time.

Jay Sosa

that's somewhat of a Conundrum isn't it?

Nadal could take him out but he's gone... now shouldn't the guy that took nadal out be able to take Djoker out?

Also if the guy that would take Djoker out was good enough for that, Fed STILL wouldn't get past him maybe :p

the fuck? Sports threads on GAF are hilarious

with both of them eliminated, the average hotness of the final women just dropped into the negatives.

Sure..
maria-kirilenko-and-2009-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-issue-profile.jpg

Maria_Kirilenko_ZHD_587251a.jpg

so ugly

mclem

How's the weather for today?

Still British:

Beeb said:
"Some of the damp and drizzly weather we've had this morning could linger into the start of play but it should tend to clear away and give us a drier spell before more significant rain spreads in from the south west during mid-to-late afternoon," says King. "Feeling rather humid with a maximum temperature of around 19 degrees."

Rain expected in an hour. Play starts on centre and One in an hour. Great.

agrajag

Banned
It is a tough ask at this point. Still, Federer can still do it if he has a good day, but he will need to bring more focus than he usually does these days. Just one final slam and a few additional weeks (or months) would be amazing and a great, inspiring story.

It would be so ironic if Roger beat Djoker in the semis only to lose to Murray in the final!

I don't know about Federer personally. He seems like he was only good at a time where everyone else was distinctly average, and then when players like Nadal and Djokovic come along, he loses it.

I get all the arguments about fairness and stuff, and moving Murray to court 1 is totally fine, but if this weather continues they really have to move his match to centre.

PaulLFC

Wimbledon idiots opened the roof and of course it began to rain. I can't.
I wondered why I was seeing reports on the BBC live page of the rain possibly affecting Centre court, I was thinking surely the roof is closed anyway so it wouldn't matter, but it seems not. Who makes these decisions?!

I get all the arguments about fairness and stuff, and moving Murray to court 1 is totally fine, but if this weather continues they really have to move his match to centre.

Gasquet needs to move to Centre as he is in the top half of the draw.

Oh, and nice to see Ferrer beating Del Potro so far.

Ash_69

Watching Goerges vs Ivanovic was the pinnacle of womens tennis. The hotness in that match had my head in a spin. Not all is lost though, jump on the Kirilenko warwagon, friend.

Regarding this Federer debate- there is no way, based on current performances Federer would beat Djokovic or even make it a 5 setter. Fed is the GOAT (at least for now) but Djokovic brings a defensive physicality like no other and has the tools to step up and be aggresive when it matters. Murray is similar (laugh all you want) but lacks the ability to force the action like Djokovic.

Oh yeah, and the British mental fragility when it comes to sport...

PaulLFC

Lisicki and Kirilenko are still involved.

mclem

Looking promising for Murray/(Ferrer or Del Potro) to take place tomorrow unless there's an almighty fightback on the cards in the latter match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom