• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships 2012 at [WIMBLEDON]

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
wtf, just saw that they are putting Federer-Djokovic first.

It was obvious since they played first yesterday. Wimbledon is after all located in UK, it's OK if local talent gets the prime time. After all, there's only someone like Andy Murray once in several decades.

Number45

It was obvious since they played first yesterday. Wimbledon is after all located in UK, it's OK if local talent gets the prime time. After all, there's only someone like Andy Murray once in several decades.
We get people that don't win grand slams all the time.

Speevy

Banned
Has a tennis player ever insulted his opponent before or after a match?

They all seem to have these generic, canned responses for the questions they're asked about the match.

"He played well, but I took advantage of some opportunities."

"I wasn't hitting the ball very well today."

Has anyone just been a total ass?

jett

D-Member

Wow I just looked it up and the last time a brit won men's singles was in 1936. lol.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children

They all seem to have these generic, canned responses for the questions they're asked about the match.

Roddick replied "you have like 15 of them" after Federer said he knows it hurts when you lose a slam final right during the ceremony

Or something similar, but it was pretty blunt :lol

szaromir

Banned
We get people that don't win grand slams all the time.
Come on, Andy is an incredible talent even if he winds up not winning a slam.
it's hard to compete against great sports nations like serbia and switzerland.
Federer is probably the best Swiss sportsman of all time, he's a genius that could have been born anywhere. I'd say Czech republic has produced a staggering number of tennis stars, even Martin Hingis' parents were Czech.

Well, I brought it up earlier in the thread, but Federer pretty much called Djokovic lucky for winning the U.S. Open.

Beyond that, I've seen Serena Williams get pretty disrespectful:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4135094

"We all know who the real number one is," Williams told a news conference at the Italian Open on Monday. "Quite frankly, I'm the best in the world."

Second-ranked Williams, who will face Swiss Patty Schnyder in her opening match in Rome, felt she could back up her claim because she owns 10 Grand Slam singles titles while Safina's tally stands at zero.

Asked which opponent she feared most, the American quipped: "Probably myself. I always beat myself."

There's also the little dust-up between Novak Djokovic and Tommy Robredo a few years ago, when Djoker was still having all the health problems:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2008/09/03/uk-tennis-open-robredo-idUKL326616920080903

"I have pain, as well. I was running like hell and my feet were burning but I say nothing," said Robredo, who tumbled to the ground in the fifth set while lunging after a Djokovic shot.

"I think that if you're not fit enough, then don't play.

"But after every time he was asking for a trainer, he was running like hell and he was making the shot. But he does what he does a lot of times."

Another one, Andy Roddick on Novak Djokovic's overall health before the quarterfinals at U.S. Open 2008:

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/09/03/andy-roddick-mocks-novak-djokovic-questions-his-sars/

Roddick: Isn't it both of them? And a back and a hip?

Reporter: And when he said there are too many to count ...

Roddick: And a cramp.

Reporter: Do you get a sense right now that he is ...

Roddick: Bird flu.

Reporter: A lot of things. Beijing hangover. He's got a pretty long list of illness.

Roddick: Anthrax. SARS. Common cough and cold.

Djokovic fired back at Roddick after the match, in front of the stadium crowd:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26549321/

No charm this time.

Instead, the third-ranked Djokovic lashed out at the Roddick, taking him to task for making light of the Serb’s series of medical issues earlier in the week.

“You know, Andy was saying I have 16 injuries in the last match,” Djokovic said, anger in his voice. “Obviously, I don’t, right?”

He was booed. Loudly.

And he wasn’t deterred in the least.

“They’re already against me because they think I’m faking everything, so it’s all right,” Djokovic said. “That’s not nice, anyhow, to say in front of this crowd that I have 16 injuries and that I’m faking.”

Jay Sosa

Whoever wins (most likely Radwanska) will get destroyed by Azarenka/Serena. Somewhat the same situation like on the men's side.

Never assume anything when it comes to the WTA.

Roddick replied "you have like 15 of them" after Federer said he knows it hurts when you lose a slam final right during the ceremony

Or something similar, but it was pretty blunt :lol

lol gotta love Andy.

Jay Sosa

Novak should be the last guy to be pissed when someone makes fun of him.

And Serena is right she simply is the best in the world when she wants to. I never have a problem with people being arrogant when they really are good. I rather find it annoying when they always downplay their dominance (looking at you Rafa)

szaromir

Banned
Never assume anything when it comes to the WTA.
Well Radwanska has no chance, unless Serena's serve and timing malfunction for some reason.

And Serena is right she simply is the best in the world when she wants to. I never have a problem with people being arrogant when they really are good. I rather find it annoying when they always downplay their dominance (looking at you Rafa)
For me Henin in 2006-2007 was the best female player in the last decade. It was crazy how such a small person bosses around all the bigger players, including Serena.

Jay Sosa

Oh no doubt about Henin, I was talking about now.

Btw..talking of Henin and how Radwanska has no shot (I'd be surprised as well, don't get me wrong)..remember when Bartoli had no chance against Justin in the semis couple years ago? Yeah..

Oh and that also reminds me that imho the departure of Henin was the worst thing that has ever happened to Maria, cause I do remember her getting her ass handed to her couple of times in the beginning(*) but getting better and smarter with each clash.

(*)amazingly she won the first match.

Jay Sosa

That's true in general but in this case it might be a safe bet, Radwanska's lost like all of her matches against Azarenka this year and Serena is in a league of her own right now.

well yeah, but see above. Nothing can shock me anymore when it comes to womens tennis. Doesn't mean I'm gonna put my money on Agnieska, but I sure as hell won't be surprised to see Serena killing a spectator, beating up the umpire and losing the match (maybe not in that order)

Peru

A-Rad probably has less of a mental block against Serena than Vika. Aga sometimes finds inspiration for creative, unpredictable tennis, but I don't like her as a person and I'm cheering for Serena to brush her away.

szaromir

Banned
That's true in general but in this case it might be a safe bet, Radwanska's lost like all of her matches against Azarenka this year and Serena is in a league of her own right now.

There used to be a hilarious triangle: Li Na completely owned Azarenka, Azarenka owned Stosur and Stosur owned Li Na. Sadly it's no longer true since Azarenka won the last couple of matches against Li, nonetheless it's a great example of how match-up dependent WTA players are.

Serena definitely seems to prefer big hitters, weird enough she seems to make a lot more errors if opponent's average serve and ground stroke speeds are lower - see recent matches against Zheng Jie or Razzano and compare them to the ones against Azarenka or Kvitova. Nonetheless, with that serve and probably bigger focus than against Razzano she should win easily.

MIMIC

Banned

There's still some tension between Stepanek & Tipsarevic. After their Davis Cup match earlier this year (IIRC), Tipsy BELIEVES that Stepanek gave him the finger during their handshake. Tipsarevic got all pissed off, there was a huge debate in the tennis community ("OMG, look at his finger! He IS flipping him the bird!") and the issue has since faded from the spotlight, but never was quite resolved.

Man I was so gutted for Roddick when he lost that math but so happy for Federer. Roddick is so classy.

Gonna be weird if we get a Federer/Murray final. I support Murray but I love Roger, I'd back Murray I guess, after all Roger has like 16 slams...but if he loses a final to damn Andy Murray, man, he might never come back from that lol.

I expect Djokovic to run through both of them though. I like Nole too so it's cool.

Akito

I expect Djokovic and Murray in the finals but it would be nice to see Roger winning a GS again, it's probably his best shot here at Wimbledon with Nadal out. He'll be no. 1 in the rankings again as well I presume.

i hated how in one final a while back (don't remember which one) Fed kinda sneaked by in stealth mode all the way into the finals by avoiding Nadal as well as Djokovic who both got beaten by other players/weren't at their best fitness level or injured or whatever and managed to win the tournament. Good for him but he knew damn well it wasn't AS deserved and as real as if he had truly beaten either Rafa or Djoker ;)

Luckily that won't happen here... This time if he were to beat Djokovic fair and square, he could go on and win the slam like a man :p

Saty

A-Rad probably has less of a mental block against Serena than Vika. Aga sometimes finds inspiration for creative, unpredictable tennis, but I don't like her as a person and I'm cheering for Serena to brush her away.

Still salty over her beating Sharapova at Miami? Or is it about Radwanska calling Maria out in AO over her grunting?

szaromir

Banned
i hated how in one final a while back (don't remember which one) Fed kinda sneaked by in stealth mode all the way into the finals by avoiding Nadal as well as Djokovic who both got beaten by other players/weren't at their best fitness level or injured or whatever and managed to win the tournament. Good for him but he knew damn well it wasn't AS deserved and as real as if he had truly beaten either Rafa or Djoker ;)
You mean Madrid? Federer did not sneak a title there, Nadal and Djokovic are total mugs on fast courts and were rightfully spanked early in the tournament. Roger won pretty much every fast court tournament in the past year.

Still salty over her beating Sharapova at Miami? Or is it about Radwanska calling Maria out in AO over her grunting?

Eh, no need for such accusations. Although I was surprised when he said 'Radwanska not becoming #1 is a priority', which does suggest bitterness.

Peru

I've disliked Radwanska long before her recent rivalry/exchange of words with Maria, which is mostly funny/silly. No reason to be salty with a 7-2 record. Just don't like seeing her as a potential #1. Hopefully she plays well tomorrow and challenges Serena before losing, though.

Ridiculously excited for today's matches.

Yup. Be great to see Fed and Djokovic finally play at Wimbledon. Hopefully Murray doesn't choke and finally makes the final. In my head it's a Murray - Djokovic final with Djokovic winning in straight sets, but my heart says a Murray - Federer final.

mclem

It's pissing it down in London right now, has been since I left for work at 7am. Thank you based roof...

Not too early for the roof, please! I'm roughly intending to leave work when one of Fed or Djokovic are two sets up, so the later that can happen, the better!

Saty

I've disliked Radwanska long before her recent rivalry/exchange of words with Maria, which is mostly funny/silly. No reason to be salty with a 7-2 record. Just don't like seeing her as a potential #1. Hopefully she plays well tomorrow and challenges Serena before losing, though.

I think it's bizarre to say "but I don't like her as a person" as if we know much about most players' off-court personalities. And on-court we've seen many players, including Serena, lose it and behave poorly.

The difference in the quality of players Radwanska and Serena had to get through to reach the final is ridiculous.

Radwanska: Rybarikova (barely half-fit), Vesnina, Watson, Giorgi, Kirilenko, Kerber. You'd expect that sort of field at Brussels or Dubai.

Serena: Zahlavova, Czink, Zheng, Shvedova ("golden set"), Kvitova, Azarenka. Hard to see how it could have been more difficult apart from maybe in-form Lisicki.

szaromir

Banned
The difference in the quality of players Radwanska and Serena had to get through to reach the final is ridiculous.
That's how the tournament formula works - sometimes you get easy draws, sometimes you get very tough ones. Sharapova had very easy draws in Australian open and Roland Garros, Kvitova reached Roland Garros semi without meeting a top 50 player, I didn't see anyone complaining - it's still about rising up to the occasion.

At the end of the day the champion is going to be decided on Saturday and if Serena is that much better she'll win easily.

That's how the tournament formula works - sometimes you get easy draws, sometimes you get very tough ones. Sharapova had very easy draws in Australian open and Roland Garros, Kvitova reached Roland Garros semi without meeting a top 50 player, I didn't see anyone complaining - it's still about rising up to the occasion.

At the end of the day the champion is going to be decided on Saturday and if Serena is that much better she'll win easily.

Sharapova's and Petra's draws were noted too :). You don't have to rise up to the occasion so much if your opponents are weak. Conversely Serena's performance has been extremely impressive here to beat all those players.

Radwanska's probably happy to play a first strike player like Serena than a precise, controlled aggressive player like Vika as Serena will give her more errors. Serena will win though if she serves well.

Jay Sosa

Radwanska: Rybarikova (barely half-fit), Vesnina, Watson, Giorgi, Kirilenko, Kerber. You'd expect that sort of field at Brussels or Dubai.

Serena: Zahlavova, Czink, Zheng, Shvedova ("golden set"), Kvitova, Azarenka. Hard to see how it could have been more difficult apart from maybe in-form Lisicki.

Kerber is on par with Kvitova(this year even better), Shvedova with Kirilenko, Watson with Zheng(and will be a lot better in a few years) and Vesnina isn't that much worse than Zahlavova or Czink. Besides having to play two arguably good players back to back (and Kvitova isn't nowhere near the player she was last year) I don't see that much discrepancy.

Yes.

But it's Chokerer/Federror vs Borekovic.

Fixed.

Shancake

Roof is closed! I hope that Federer can pull through... I'd love to see him win another Wimbledon, escpecially beating Djokovic to make the final. He seriously is the most exciting player to watch and even though Nadal and Djokovic are more consistent than him, he is still ten times more exciting to watch.

Roof is closed! I hope that Federer can pull through... I'd love to see him win another Wimbledon, escpecially beating Djokovic to make the final. He seriously is the most exciting player to watch and even though Nadal and Djokovic are more consistent than him, he is still ten times more exciting to watch.

If he could just stop making mistakes and at the same time go back to his former physical and mental self to about 3 years ago or whatever then yes, it was a beautiful thing to watch...

effortless and dominating tennis just like Sampras in his prime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom