• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Dumb question: Are the Criterion movies on Hulu+ shown in their native aspect ratio? So far I've seen Sumurai I & II and For All Mankind, all three were in 4:3. Is this correct?

mojiimbo

Dumb question: Are the Criterion movies on Hulu+ shown in their native aspect ratio? So far I've seen Sumurai I & II and For All Mankind, all three were in 4:3. Is this correct?
Yeah, it's correct. The Samurai trilogy is all the way from the 50s and For All Mankind is sourced from the documentary cameras they sent up there with the astronauts so if they had been widescreen they would have had to chop the tops and bottoms off of the frame.

Kwixotik

Hey guys, I'm posting here because I don't want to start a new thread for my question. After years of barely ever watching movies, I decided to watch Breathless on a whim a few days ago. Now I've seen Breathless, A Woman is a Woman, Contempt, Bande a part, and I've got Pierrot le fou, Masculin feminin, Alphaville, and Vivre Sa Vie to watch in the next couple days.

I usually get bored watching movies because I have a really short attention span, but for whatever reason Godard has really been pulling me in. I want to keep watching movies after I finish with these, but I don't really know where to go from here. I was thinking about watching some Kubrick movies because 2001 blew me away a couple years ago, but I was also thinking about looking at Kurosawa or Coen brothers (I've already seen like half of the Coen movies). On the other hand I was thinking about delving into the Criterion Essential Art House movies just to see what those are like.

I dunno, someone push me in one direction or the other because I'm indecisive.

swoon

Hey guys, I'm posting here because I don't want to start a new thread for my question. After years of barely ever watching movies, I decided to watch Breathless on a whim a few days ago. Now I've seen Breathless, A Woman is a Woman, Contempt, Bande a part, and I've got Pierrot le fou, Masculin feminin, Alphaville, and Vivre Sa Vie to watch in the next couple days.

I usually get bored watching movies because I have a really short attention span, but for whatever reason Godard has really been pulling me in. I want to keep watching movies after I finish with these, but I don't really know where to go from here. I was thinking about watching some Kubrick movies because 2001 blew me away a couple years ago, but I was also thinking about looking at Kurosawa or Coen brothers (I've already seen like half of the Coen movies). On the other hand I was thinking about delving into the Criterion Essential Art House movies just to see what those are like.

I dunno, someone push me in one direction or the other because I'm indecisive.

coen brothers are the most like godard, though going through the essential art house might be the best bet because it will help you form personal taste. like godard is great - but he's not like kubrick and kurosawa (who are also great) so it's hard to push you to those dudes, but if you get through the art house essential collection stuff you'll have more of a base to say oh'll you'll like charbol because you liked camus.

ngower

If you're interested in Godard, you may like a number of the various 'new wave' movements and/or directors.

Off the top of my head, these might be films in the Criterion Collection worth looking into (in no particular order):

Grey Gardens
Head
Easy Rider
Last Year at Marienbad
Bottle Rocket
Medium Cool
The 400 Blows
Tokyo Drifter
Chunking Express
Mala Noche
My Own Private Idaho
Badlands
Tiny Furniture
Days of Heaven
Faces
A Woman Under The Influence
Downhill Racer
Harold and Maude

I imagine all, or at least most of these have trailers on their pages on Criterion's website. This is by no means a comprehensive list, just films I know of to be a bit against the grain in the same vein as Godard's work was.

[EDIT] And my personal advice if you're just getting into the Criterion Collection is to sign up for Hulu's free two-week trial (make sure to cancel before it's over or they'll charge you) and just try to watch a film a night across a variety of genres, countries, styles, etc. Also, check out your local library and, again, try to diversify your selections.

Kwixotik

I didn't know Criterion movies were on Hulu Plus. This changes everything. Thanks for the recommendations! A lot of those movies look pretty appealing.

The best part about their Hulu is accessing films that either aren't put out by Criterion or aren't otherwise accessible at all. It's the bast place to watch Les Blank or Heinosuke Gosho, basically, and that's important for some people.

Ridley327

Upcoming releases announcement should be coming soon.

The Tale of Zatoichi was inadvertently leaked, and you can actually check out the temporary link for it by visiting the page for La Notte.

I wonder if Criterion will ever be crazy enough to do a boxset of the entire series.

It's not beyond them: chanbara's traditionally sold well for the company (the previous licensors for Zatoichi, AnimEigo, would agree). I just wonder how they're doing supplements, especially if they've got a box in mind. The AK set I have only has a book with it.

217_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Tokyo Story DVD/Blu upgrade (released in dual-format!)

679_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman dual-format. Here's the big fucking box:

Film_679_ZatoichiSet_original.jpg

Based Criterion indeed.

681_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Frances Ha dual-format

680_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

City Lights dual-format

Chaplin cover's rather shoddy once again; Zatoichi box looks like an amazing deal; Frances Ha is rad; Tokyo Story upgrade was needed. But where the hell is Eraserhead? I mean, I'm surprised Lynch and the producers are taking so long.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Whoa what is this dual format shit? Are they abandoning DVD only releases? (not that I care)

Ridley327

Chaplin cover's rather shoddy once again; Zatoichi box looks like an amazing deal; Frances Ha is rad; Tokyo Story upgrade was needed. But where the hell is Eraserhead? I mean, I'm surprised Lynch and the producers are taking so long.

Maybe December? I don't know, I'm expecting that the Cronenbergs will be the big December releases, which means no Eraserhead for 2013.

Lest we forget, though, what happened the last time Criterion forced Lynch's hand on an Eraserhead release.

big ander

would 100% rather have a revamped kicking and screaming blu with new features, but ok. Frances Ha cover sucks though, right? Why ditch the much cooler pink poster art for a screenshot? Also, that cover really just makes me want a Mauvais Sang blu.

City Lights cover is quite iffy too, set sounds nice though.

Tokyo Story'd be cool but I need to see ozu in order.

Have heard of Zatoichi but never seen any. Box looks stylish.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Frances_Ha_poster.jpg

That looks more like a Criterion cover than what they did. I remember seeing a lot of hyperbole-ish things written about it, is it really that good?

Shiv47

Dat Zatoichi box, mother of god. This is a hell of a month, with the Ozu and Chaplin as well. Don't care about Frances Ha, but more than enough otherwise. I'll have to see if the Ozu is enough of an upgrade over the MoC version.

Looks good CC. Yuko Shimizu did cover number 9. She's fucking boss as fuck. One of my favorite artist. She's also a really nice woman.

Also, OMG TOKYO STORY and FRANCES HA WILL BE MINE!

What a great month! I will probably get Tokyo Story even though I already have all of BFI's Ozu blu-rays (I am a sucker for anything Ozu related). Definitely getting City Lights as well. I hope The Kid is the next Chaplin movie, though.

J2d

18 of the Zatoichi films are available to watch on Hulu. If you don't mind commercials, you can watch them for free. It might be a good way to sample them instead of spending so much blindly.

http://www.hulu.com/search?q=zatoichi
I have never used Hulu since I don't think it's available in Sweden but there's bound to be some sneaky way of getting it to work so i'll get on it. The box looks amazing so here's hoping its something for me.

ngower

Probably going to (finally) upgrade to Blu Ray (oh, and buy a TV...) because of Frances Ha. Saw it twice while it was in theaters. Would have seen it more if I owned a car and it wasn't such a hassle to get to the movie theater.

Really can't recommend it enough.

No more DVD-only releases make me a little bit sad.
I think going dual-format at the Blu-Ray price point is a good decision for the company, though, since they save a lot on manufacturing costs if they don't have to order separate boxes and booklets for DVDs. Not everyone is equally benefited, however, so I can see why it's also a bad idea.

ngower

I'm honestly not seeing the big fuss. I don't have the capacity to play Blu Rays, so I'd have to go through and upgrade everything once I finally make the switch. With this new dual format, I have the Blu Ray right from the start.

My only concern is with the size of the case. Will it be the height of the DVD cases? Blu Ray cases? A new size?

I'm not expecting them to extend the November sale long enough for people to order the box half-off, but it'd be really interesting to see what happens. They've also been adding more and more supplements to I Married A Witch and The Uninvited after racking down their MSRPs; home video consumers have a lot more sway online these days.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Those covers are gorgeous. Does anyone know who the artist(s) is?

Each cover is a different artist.

Cover by Ron Wimberly. Additional illustrations by Greg Ruth, Paul Pope, Scott Morse, Samuel Hiti, Josh Cochran, Evan Bryce, Ricardo Venâncio, Robert Goodin, Yuko Shimizu, Jorge Coelho, Vera Brosgol, Matt Kindt, Connor Willumsen, Patrick Leger, Jim Rugg, Jhomar Soriano, Angie Wang, Ming Doyle, Caitlin Kuhwald, Benjamin Marra, Bill Sienkiewicz, Andrew MacLean, Polly Guo, Barnaby Ward, Victor Kerlow.

Wimberly's full art sheet for the box itself:

jlevel13

I have only seen the Takeshi Kitano one(not that it's included or anything just saying it's to only zatoichi movie I've seen), is this worth a blind buy?

I haven't seen them all (just the first seven or so, when they showed them on IFC regularly a while back)... and they're fun b-movies. Nothing earth shattering (in my memory, the first one was probably the best). I don't know that anybody needs to see them all, but it's kind of cool they are putting them out. I'll probably buy it myself, as I'd like to see / have them all to watch someday in the best quality, but if you've never seen any, I'd check out one or two first. I see you can't do hulu, but they're also available on DVD. The DVDs are out ouf print, but can still be found pretty cheap, around $15 US.

Top Bottom