• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

DWBDvB4.jpg

"Grand Old Osprey" = Nashville. This and The Long Goodbye Blu, please!

Oh boy I hope they have an extended version of that boring-ass shot of that dumb ass van driving around.

More like Nashzzzzzzzzville lol rite???

Downhome

Not that anyone cares but I took these pictures to show my cousin and I think I'll stick them here too. It's just shots of all of my Criterion BDs on my shelf after I finally put them in order. Oh, and yes I realize I have my Criterions and then right next to them is the start of my wrestling BDs. I'm all over the map with my tastes...

oQVLCfC.jpg

aY5kmw4.jpg

K9rkWD5.jpg

F5XM08P.jpg

inm8num2

Oh, what's the all black case between Weekend and Rosemary's Baby?

Most likely The Game. Some covers had printing errors where the text was too soft against the black background. But even then the "good covers" don't have good contrast.

edit - ninja'd, that's what I get for leaving the tab open for a few minutes then responding!

Downhome

You can read the spine in person, it's not totally black like it seems. All of the copies I've seen in person have been pretty dark though.

I accidently bought one title twice not realizing I already owned it. Can ya spot it really quick?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Dat bottom shelf. Also I'm pretty sure having Shoah one slot away from Wrestlemania XXVIII violates several international human rights laws.

Alucrid

Banned
That collection makes me sad a sold a bit of mine when I had to move. :(

Want to restart it when I'm done school, get a job and get settled.

ngower

Bought Medium Cool, Howard's End and Tokyo Story during the sale, and was gifted Downhill Racer and Life is Sweet (all five on DVD) for my birthday. Will be committing sacrilege by returning Tokyo Story and buying The Beales of Grey Gardens (I'm broke, $10 matters) tonight.

Any DVD-only titles y'all would recommend? I don't own a Blu Ray player (or TV, hence no Blu Ray player) so I'm trying not to buy things that I'd have to upgrade down the road.

Downhome

Any DVD-only titles y'all would recommend? I don't own a Blu Ray player (or TV, hence no Blu Ray player) so I'm trying not to buy things that I'd have to upgrade down the road.

Go out right this second and buy Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves and Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole. They are two of the finest films in the entire Criterion Collection and I hope to see BD releases one day.

Also, all of Preston Sturges' titles in the collection, especially The Lady Eve with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda. I mean, just watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC0VPx9BJYw

One of my favorite scenes ever, so well done, so sexy even though it's mostly unspoken. Just awesome stuff.

ngower

Ace In the Hole strikes my interest solely because of the description as a cynical look at American life. Most of my collection is housed in one of the 'American' lists on Criterion's site.

I'm considering Young Mr. Lincoln as well. While that Lady Eve flick looks neat, it seems like it might be a bit too play-like for my tastes. I don't like slow burns of a movie where it doesn't seem like the characters have anywhere to be other than in front of the camera (except for My Dinner with Andre).

Waiting for Criterion releases is a lost cause, which is why I find it best to expect nothing. Putting all those movies on Hulu Plus is the biggest tease of all, though.

ngower

Spent about an hour in the Criterion section at this B&N. I'd never been to this store before. There's about 2/3 of a section on either side of this picture, and these are just the DVDs! Blu Ray section was about half the size, but didn't seem to be lacking many titles.

3J6kM43.png

I opted for Bicycle Thieves and The Beales of Grey Gardens. Will eventually pick up Tokyo Story again, as well as the Mr. Arkadin set and some of the Bergman/Malle stuff that's on DVD only. Or, y'know, actually get a Blu Ray player one of these days...

Final (DEAR GOD I HOPE) haul from this sale: Life Is Sweet, Downhill Racer, Bicycle Thieves, Beales of Grey Gardens, Medium Cool and Howard's End.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Like half the Eclipse sets border on essential and are a fantastic value, yet they're always ignored by everyone. Buy some of those!

Like half the Eclipse sets border on essential and are a fantastic value, yet they're always ignored by everyone. Buy some of those!

I'm guilty of forgetting they exist too!
Crazy because I really want the Ozu, Klein, Mizoguchi, Oshima and Nikkatsu Noir sets (for starters) and the entire line is riddled with stuff I've never seen and yet I still haven't bought a single one :(

I'm English so despite buying Criterion for over a decade I've never seen them in a store, or at anybody else's house or anywhere else ever actually.
Mannnn, seeing them like this would be too much for my wallet
and my heart

Insert debate over Eclipse sets versus Hulu+ here.
Hulu works very well for me, but its variable video quality (based on internet connection) means that Eclipses are still essential

ngower

My only Eclipse set is the Raymond Bernard set. I've got a $10 gift card to Criterion.com so when they do their next sale I'll be grabbing the Louis Malle set for $25!

I'd grab a Hulu sub, but my internet is shared by four others and can get a bit slow when everyone's on at the same time.

[EDIT] And as an American, even this selection was too much. Typically, There's about two or three sections split between DVD and Blu Ray at every B&N I go too. Occasionally you'll get an end-cap somewhere too. But this was just astonishing. The store was also in a rather wealthy (or at least targets wealthy people) outdoor mall, so I wonder if that had anything to do with the decision to stock more Criterion discs?

My favorite set is the Nikkatsu Noir set. The movies are very fun and have good replay value (subjective, I know). The Late Ozu set is amazing too, especially if you don't have access to region B blu-rays (3 movies in the set have beautiful blu-ray transfers from BFI).

omgkitty

I have finally updated the OP for the first time in months, and I must say that October has me super excited. I'm sure some of you (you know who you are) will say some of those films are crap or whatever, but I plan on buying every release that month. Can't wait to see what they have in store for November, as that always seems to be a knockout month. I'm gonna assume possibly L'avventura and hopefully the damn release of Le Samourai on blu-ray. I'm sure we'll see some sort of boxset as well.

ngower

Hearing rumors that the Criterion.com flash sale will be in late September. Last year's was during the last week of the month, so doesn't seem entirely unfounded.

So, start savin' your cash! I'm a little under $200 away from a $50 credit, and I already have $10. This could get dangerous.

[EDIT] Also, can we talk about how awesome libraries are for Criterion? Over the weekend I checked out Maurice and Harlan County USA. Returned those today to pick up "The 39 Steps," "The Lady Eve," "Paris, Texas" and "The Two of Us." Probably another 40-50 Criterion titles at my local library (literally, two minute walk!) I've not yet watched. There's hope for my wallet, yet!

codhand

I have finally updated the OP for the first time in months,
thanks dude

the interview with Harry Dean Stanton on Repo Man is so awkward and good.

i want more antonioni and the bad sleep well for november..

good to hear about the criterion flash sale, cause i got that gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket

ngower

So, I made a YouTube channel specifically to discuss/review Criterion discs. I explain my hopes for the channel in the video, and why the quality of my video is terrible.

Check it out if that's your kinda thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOfHHyszRtk

[EDIT} HNNNGGG!!!! Two of my housemates went halvesies on the Fanny and Alexander box set for me. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There's been heavy (attempted) scalper activity on Body Double. Before adjusting for rule-breakingly large orders that slipped through and people who couldn't pay for their orders, it was actually sold out yesterday. Orders that fell under those two categories accounted for a third of the print run, lol.
Anyone who's interested should jump on it, though. It's down to 663 copies a week before the official street date and on track to be gone for good within a few days.
The Driver, Hard Times and Major Dundee have been out longer but slipped into the danger zone this week.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Body Double is down to 179 copies. The Big Heat disappeared almost instantly while it had slightly more copies available, so this could be over any time.

swoon

i don't know how they keep messing it up.

glad i got my body double order in. want to pick up the disappearance and sexy beast, but they'll be around for awhile.

Top Bottom