• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2012/13: Why haven't they released *insert title here*?

Of course the sale starts just as I spend most of my free funds on an Oculus Rift. To be fair it's around this time every year, just my own error.

Oh well, I bought 10 Criterion blu-rays during the early amazon sale. Can wait until November to go crazy again.

swoon

ES11_Sheptiko_original.png

my forever eclipse suggestion for these sales.

two nearly perfect movies for 12$.

swoon

i'd certainly watch one of the films before getting the set. i don't think his humor is as universal as tati's though it's fairly simliar.

How is the blu-ray for Pierre Etaix?
Very good quality given how poorly-maintained his films have been for ages. He's a great alternative to Tati, and a direct precursor to Bunuel's late filmography (Carriere started out writing for Étaix before moving on). I need to finish off the rest of the set myself.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Le Cercle Rouge tim-

WTF at the blu-ray price. Hello DVD!
I bought the blu from Amazon the day they discontinued it....and it took them months to finally tell me they couldn't fulfill it.

Picked up Dazed and Confused, Colonel Blimp and Rules of the Game.

I only watched Colonel Blimp for the first time last week but it's instantly one of my favorite films of all-time, so had to pick it up. Went through some of the special features and they're amazing.

god what did I do

Shoah
David Lean directs Noel Coward
Badlands
Naked
3:10 to Yuma
My life as a dog
A night to remember
Rushmore
Wild Strawberries

and i'll probably get them sometime in 2014 in a beaten up package with boxes blown to smithereens and after paying half the price in customs too

Went ahead and grabbed some films, even though I said I'd wait.

Still want to grab Shoah and The Devil's Backbone, among a hundred other things but with the steam sale going on it's doubtful as to whether I will. Will probably wait until the November sale.

swoon

the uninvited might be the most random thing they've announced recently. maybe they are building up to release allen's noirs?

Ridley327

Wow, no Cronenbergs or Eraserhead. I know that Criterion tends to hold their biggest heavy hitters for November, but missing out on that sweet Halloween cash is odd, especially for guaranteed sellers like those three.

Oh well, Eyes Without a Face on Blu is a decent substitute.

678_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
La Notte Blu (not sure what they're thinking with this cover)

677_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
The Uninvited Blu (pretty good cover art here)

676_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
I Married A Witch Blu (the first CC Blu where an audio interview is worth $40—I'll just watch it on Hulu)

On one hand, this is a great month for upgrades. I already have the Cassavetes set, so I'll put off an upgrade for now, but Eyes Without A Face is an expert choice for October. I wasn't expecting the Cronenberg spines to come quickly enough for this month, but Eraserhead being delayed is rather peculiar. I hope it comes early enough in November for me to buy it during the sale.

swoon

they've really done away with commentary tracks, lame extras on all three of the new blu-releases. they should either make the eclipse set blu-ray releases or drop the prices.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
They do when it's a significant overhaul of the previous release and not just "oh hey, let's put this on Blu"

Only thing I'd like to have would be the full Cassavetes/Gazzara/Falk episode of Dick Cavett just so I wouldn't have to hope someone has it uploaded to youtube every time I want to watch it. It's there currently but it sporadically comes and goes with the wind. Best dudes, really.

Otherwise, I've read enough books on Cassavetes by now that I can't imagine Criterion coming up with something super worthwhile and actually new.

swoon

the episode of columbo he directed would be a good bonus feature, like crook's tour on lady vanishes.

also i think new commentary tracks are always a good

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
How much money would Criterion have to fork over to put Ray Carney and Gena Rowlands in a cage for 90 minutes? Would watch/listen for sure.

HoJu

pretty disappointing about lack of extras. but still, Cassavetes in HIGH DEFINITION is pretty exciting.
also, Criterion has to be working on LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE, right? no one else is putting it out, at least in NA.

ALSO, my Barnes and Noble order:
Anatomy of a Murder
Days of Heaven
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Pale Flower (blind buy)
La Jetee/Sans Soleil (blind buy)

hopefully i did good.

HoJu

so I ordered more stuff from Barnes and Noble because I don't know what else to do with my money

Two Lane Blacktop
Branded To Kill
Pale Flower (fingers crossed)

all blind buys. I was going to order Bigger Than Life too, but I then I didn't.

also I wonder if Criterion will ever release some animation short compilations. Someone has to. For the preservation of art.
I just really want to own hedgehog in the fog

Top Bottom