• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

berzeli

Banned
What is Eureka's release schedule like anyways? It seems they only put out a couple releases a month at most anyways.

Usually it's two to three releases per month. But like I said they're by far the best at silent cinema so they hold a very special place in my heart.

Frankly I blame all the fucking idiots who refused to upgrade to blu-ray who are forcing them to keep putting out DVD's and screwed up the dual format releases.

Surely Dual Format releases made more financial sense for Criterion, so I'm surprised they withdrew them so early.
The 'uproar' people made over being lumbered with extra, useless discs was ridiculous.

XShagrath

Surely Dual Format releases made more financial sense for Criterion, so I'm surprised they withdrew them so early.
The 'uproar' people made over being lumbered with extra, useless discs was ridiculous.
Well, they end up taking a lot of additional shelf space, which for some is in short supply. I didn't really care about the dual-format thing at first, since the prices weren't raising for it at all. But then I end up getting these monstrous boxes like the Demy set, which is a full 1-1 1/2" wider than say, the BBS set. When it's only a couple here and there, it's not a big deal, but if I add up all of the extra space on my dual-releases, I've probably lost a good big of shelf space that I could fit other movies into.

Well, they end up taking a lot of additional shelf space, which for some is in short supply. I didn't really care about the dual-format thing at first, since the prices weren't raising for it at all. But then I end up getting these monstrous boxes like the Demy set, which is a full 1-1 1/2" wider than say, the BBS set. When it's only a couple here and there, it's not a big deal, but if I add up all of the extra space on my dual-releases, I've probably lost a good big of shelf space that I could fit other movies into.

I'm struggling for shelf space myself at this very moment so this is a legitimate complaint.
I never saw any of the bigger sets but yeah the Demy, Mad Mad World and the Red River set that came with a paperback book do seem monstrous.

omgkitty

819_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg
817_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg
818_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg
820_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg
821_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Also Clouds of Sils Maria with no art yet.

Fjordson

Love that Strangelove cover.

Also might pick up Cloud of Sils Maria. Haven't seen it, but heard it was good. And I really like Juliette Binoche and Kristen Stewart.

So, I bought tickets for this weekend to see the 4K restoration of Ran. Cannot wait.
Whew, jealous. Should look amazing.

Not really a remaster or a restoration, but I saw the English release of Only Yesterday last weekend. Looked amazing in the theater, despite being over two decades old. Quality animation from back in the day holds up really well.

Ridley327

Yeah it's at least better than what we got for Blue is the Warmest Color.

That was put out with the announcement that they were going to do a more fully-loaded release later on, but I wonder if it didn't do the kind of numbers they wanted it to and scrubbed those plans.

I'd be pretty surprised if the upcoming Linklater films weren't pretty stacked, given how he's gone all-out with previous releases in the collection.

That was put out with the announcement that they were going to do a more fully-loaded release later on, but I wonder if it didn't do the kind of numbers they wanted it to and scrubbed those plans.

It didn't help that Blue is the Warmest Color was on Netflix like right as it released on blu-ray.

Ridley327

It didn't help that Blue is the Warmest Color was on Netflix like right as it released on blu-ray.

It couldn't be avoided, due to IFC's deal with Netflix. Well, technically it could have, which is why the likes of Boyhood and Clouds of Sils Maria aren't streaming through normal means, but you know what I mean.

Rewatching Tokyo Story had me thinking of another movie that I saw when I was a kid (possibly around early 2000s)

It was Asian...possibly Chinese but I'm not 100 percent sure. It dealt with a family... All I really remember is the father being a complete hard ass for most of the movie and then when he became a grandfather his demeanor changed.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'm racking my brain over it.

*Edit* I feel like the movie was "To Live"

Very happy about Dr. Strangelove. I already own the Kubrick collection, but in Criterion we trust for some good supplementals at least.

overcast

Strangelove is a GOAT-tier movie, nice cover too. Must buy. Fantastic Planet looks pretty intriguing.
Whew, jealous. Should look amazing.

Not really a remaster or a restoration, but I saw the English release of Only Yesterday last weekend. Looked amazing in the theater, despite being over two decades old. Quality animation from back in the day holds up really well.
I'm excited man. Also jealous of you catching only yesterday. I've been trying to get out to catch that.
I'd be pretty surprised if the upcoming Linklater films weren't pretty stacked, given how he's gone all-out with previous releases in the collection.
What other Linklaters are they doing aside from Boyhood?

berzeli

Banned
The first reviews of Studiocanal's Ran set is trickling out. Really hope that someone besides beaver uploads some caps soon, the jpeg compression just kills them. Also, I hadn't realised just how much stuff was included or even that it was two discs. I'm going to have to double dip aren't I?

The first reviews of Studiocanal's Ran set is trickling out. Really hope that someone besides beaver uploads some caps soon, the jpeg compression just kills them. Also, I hadn't realised just how much stuff was included or even that it was two discs. I'm going to have to double dip aren't I?

Is this coming out in the US?

berzeli

Banned
Is this coming out in the US?

Ask Lionsgate (preferably before they go bankrupt).

But probably not. Lionsgate have the distribution rights for Studiocanal's library in the US and they've not done much with it. The previous effort was released but looking at how Lionsgate haven't released much (if any) of the vintage Studiocanal stuff lately I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ask Lionsgate (preferably before they go bankrupt).

But probably not. Lionsgate have the distribution rights for Studiocanal's library in the US and they've not done much with it. The previous effort was released but looking at how Lionsgate haven't released much (if any) of the vintage Studiocanal stuff lately I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yes, I have the previous release but this looks like a huge step up.

Ridley327

I keep holding out hope that Kadokawa will pull a Tati estate move and work a deal with Criterion themselves for Ran. Lionsgate won't do shit with it unless they digitally add in Sylvester Stallone or Mickey Rourke.

berzeli

Banned
If you're asking Berzeli, the answer is always no!
Region B land is best land. <3
Yes, I have the previous release but this looks like a huge step up.
Unfortunately I think it's very, very, very unlikely that Lionsgate will release the new one. But not impossible.
I keep holding out hope that Kadokawa will pull a Tati estate move and work a deal with Criterion themselves for Ran. Lionsgate won't do shit with it unless they digitally add in Sylvester Stallone or Mickey Rourke.
It was financed mostly/fully (can't remember the specifics) by Serge Silberman and his company Greenwich Films, which got bought by Studiocanal, they own it globally (not entirely sure about Japan rights and I'd be fucked if I can figure that one out). Kadokawa don't have much of a say.
It's entirely on Lionsgate, I'd suggest writing to them and point out it's a fairly lucrative film. They're hurting for cash anyway so it might just work.
(It won't work. Lionsgate are the second worst)

Steamlord

Finally got around to watching The Emigrants and The New Land. Damn good stuff. It's an exhausting six and a half hours, in a good way.

Steamlord

Not really zombies... I'd probably call them "ghouls." The plot and acting are nothing to write home about, but man, that movie is just drenched in atmosphere. It was a huge influence on a lot of filmmakers, including George Romero.

SeanC

Wow, what the hell. I already own it but I'd jump all over this if I didn't

Unearth copies of the OOP Melville movies Amazon pls

Need the Criterion Pierrot le Fou myself. Apparently the Fox/Lorber release is terribad and the improt Studio Canal one, while better and with a good bitrate, is all screwed up color-wise.

omgkitty

I'm missing The Third Man and The Man Who Fell to Earth. The Third Man is one of my favorite films, so needless to say SHIT SUCKS.

Fjordson

Apparently Amazon magicians conjured up some copies of Criterion Chunking Express if anyone is interested. $40.
What the hell lol, nice find! Just ordered a copy.

Hoping it's not some listing error or something weird and it gets canceled. We'll see.

And yeah, I could really use the Melville and Third Man Criterions. I missed out on all of them (have Third Man, but only on DVD).

Top Bottom