• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

berzeli

Banned
Heads up; both Eureka and Arrow have sales on their respective websites. Eureka has an additional sale on Amazon UK. So If you have a region B friendly player now is a terrific time to burn some cash.

I'm missing The Third Man and The Man Who Fell to Earth. The Third Man is one of my favorite films, so needless to say SHIT SUCKS.

And yeah, I could really use the Melville and Third Man Criterions. I missed out on all of them (have Third Man, but only on DVD).

Actually I take it back, I need The Third Man too
Hey, everyone. You know what exists in the magical, mythical region B land?
81wL%2B4mK4BL._SL1500_.jpg
We also have The Man who Fell to Earth, and Melville on blu.
(I swear, I will stop being an asshole about things like this some day. But today is not that day).

(I swear, I will stop being an asshole about things like this some day. But today is not that day).

...I don't want it anymore anyway. Stupid movie. *kicks rocks*

omgkitty

I own that Third Man set. Have the StudioCanal version too. Still seeing how many Criterion's I have, not having it makes me sad.

There's also one for A Touch of Zen:

Considering how highly regarded both of these films are in the genre, they seem like easy blind buys for me.

Ah okay I didn't know that was for a different film. I haven't seen either of them, so I wouldn't be able to differentiate between them.

Steamlord

I'm still mostly bitter about the BFI Dreyer set.
Even though it doesn't include Vampyr which is an unforgivable oversight.

berzeli

Banned
...I don't want it anymore anyway. Stupid movie. *kicks rocks*
Tbh, at this point I think it's just Lionsgate fucking with you.
"Hey, should we release this sweet 4K restoration of an absolutely classic film that still manages to reach new audiences"
"Would Fancy Clown like to buy it?"'
"Yeah, you're right. Of course we shouldn't release it. More cocaine?"
I own that Third Man set. Have the StudioCanal version too. Still seeing how many Criterion's I have, not having it makes me sad.
The completionist in me suffers with you.
I'm still mostly bitter about the BFI Dreyer set.
Even though it doesn't include Vampyr which is an unforgivable oversight.
Vampyr didn't have a terrific master (and still doesn't) when that set was released. Also I think the rights might be with Eureka. Man, I would be ecstatic if we'd end up with another Passion of Joan of Arc style miracle (and subsequent faultless MoC release) happened.

Ridley327

I do understand the whole masters issue, though. I think Arrow said something similar about Martin when that was released as DVD-only in the midst of them really embracing Blu-ray.

berzeli

Banned
To expand on the master talk, from notes on the restoration of Vampyr on the Dreyer website (it's grim reading):
Almost every time one takes a closer look at a film that is world-famous one has to face the sad fact that the film does not really exist in a form that seems acceptable. This is true also for Dreyer‘s Vampyr.

The original elements (i.e. camera negative for the image and sound negatives for the the three original soundtracks in German, French, and English) are lost, as far as can be established by tracking the existing prints back to their sources. There are a number of original prints left (i.e. nitrate prints of the German and French versions struck in 1932 from the original negatives), but wear and tear of several decades of use have made them incomplete and quite damaged. Worse, most of them show subtitles, very much against Dreyer‘s concept
Many questions about the integrity of the surviving versions remain, however. If we take the 2.271 m of the German version as a fact, how come none of the existing versions run nearly that long, and even the longest one (the safety print of the German version coming from Gosfilmofond) is only 2.004 m? Comparing the metrage of the 9 reels with what is documented as the reel lengths when censored, every reel is missing footage between 20 and 30 m, adding up to the amount of almost an entire reel missing. There is dialogue between Allan and Giselle documented on the card, of which no trace can be found in any of the surviving prints, no matter what version.
I'm still holding out for some other Scandinavian former asylum having a print though. Hell, the former asylum in question doesn't need be Scandinavian.

My Chungking order is alive as well...I have faith brehs

Assuming it is real how does this even happen? Did they just have an unopened crate of them that they stumbled upon and decided to sell for retail?

SeanC

Assuming it is real how does this even happen? Did they just have an unopened crate of them that they stumbled upon and decided to sell for retail?

That's all I can think of. They found some inventory and listed it, it's not their job to upsale them if it's just stock and I doubt somebody is doing price checking.

It is still listed as well. So either they actually have them or nobody has seen the error. I know quite a few have put an order in and it did go up on Disc Deals on Twitter so it's even more exposed, so it's out there right now...

Edit: Sorry, meant CriterionCast on Twitter, not Disc Deals. CriterionCast is a fan site of Criterion/Classic movie Stuff ala this thread.

There have always been legends. Stories told to children around campfires.

About a crate.

A crate deep in the bowels of a forgotten Amazon warehouse.

A crate that pulsed, droned, glowed with spectacular neon hues.

A crate buried beneath unsold Black Friday household items.

And sometimes at the witching hour you'd hear it howling in the breeze.

"California dreamin' (California dreamin'), On such a winter's day"

Fjordson

Chungking is still listed on Amazon...top seller in foreign films on the site. Could they actually have extra stock somehow? Surely someone would have caught onto a mistake or glitch after a day or two.

omgkitty

Chungking is still listed on Amazon...top seller in foreign films on the site. Could they actually have extra stock somehow? Surely someone would have caught onto a mistake or glitch after a day or two.

Maybe Criterion got the rights back and Amazon pulled the trigger too early? IDK how Criterion would reintegrate a previously OOP title as I've not seen it happen yet.

Somebody on the criterion subreddit did post some evidence before this happened (a couple days before I think) that they may have gotten the rights back to that and other WKW films. It was barely anything, but that combined with this is kind of interesting.

omgkitty

Somebody on the criterion subreddit did post some evidence before this happened (a couple days before I think) that they may have gotten the rights back to that and other WKW films. It was barely anything, but that combined with this is kind of interesting.

I'd really like Criterion to try and get the rights for all his films. They seem to be all over the damn place in the US with Criterion seemingly only being interested in his two most popular films, Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love (this probably isn't actually true, please don't yell at me).

Ridley327

Yeah, I think it's been speculated for a while that Criterion picked up the WKW films.

The only reason Chungking Express went OOP was because of one of the annual Miramax ownership shuffles, wasn't it?

omgkitty

Yeah, I think it's been speculated for a while that Criterion picked up the WKW films.

The only reason Chungking Express went OOP was because of one of the annual Miramax ownership shuffles, wasn't it?

I really want a box set, but then does anyone need to own a copy of My Blueberry Nights?

Eureka/Masters of cinema - June to September lineup

Enemy Mine (June 20)
That Cold Day in the Park (June 20)
Cocoon (July 18)
The Complete Buster Keaton shorts (1917 - 1923) (July 18)
Fedora (August 8)
Early Murnau - 5 films (August 22)
The Flight of the Phoenix (September 12)
Résistance (French mini-series, DVD only?) (September 12)

And four brand new acquisitions, two of which were picked up from Berlinale 2016:

ALOYS from director Tobias Nölle #1
Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s CREEPY #2
Naomi Kawase’s latest picture AN (SWEET BEAN) #3
QUEEN OF EARTH, Alex Ross Perry’s follow up to previous @mastersofcinema release LISTEN UP PHILIP #4

Edit: clarified title because of berzeli's ocd :p

berzeli

Banned
Masters of cinema - June to September lineup

Enemy Mine (June 20)
That Cold Day in the Park (June 20)
Cocoon (July 18)
The Complete Buster Keaton shorts (1917 - 1923) (July 18)
Fedora (August 8)
Early Murnau - 5 films (August 22)
The Flight of the Phoenix (September 12)
Résistance (French mini-series, DVD only?) (September 12)

And four brand new acquisitions, two of which were picked up from Berlinale 2016:

ALOYS from director Tobias Nölle #1
Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s CREEPY #2
Naomi Kawase’s latest picture AN (SWEET BEAN) #3
QUEEN OF EARTH, Alex Ross Perry’s follow up to previous @mastersofcinema release LISTEN UP PHILIP #4

Enemy Mine, Cocoon and Résistance are not part of the MoC line.

But jebus, that's a lot of things I want. I'm guessing this will be the Buster Keaton short film collection to get (especially if they carry over the 180 page book). Early Murnau, Queen of Earth (I'm so tempted to go "Yaaas. Queen. Yaaaaaas.), Aloys looks absolutely bonkers and more Billy Wilder is never a bad thing. Might even spring for Kiyoshi Kurosawa and Kawase as well, even though they're a bit hit and miss with me.

The only ones I'd really really want are the Keaton's shorts but the Kino boxset already covers all the non Roscoe Arbuckle ones...

Maybe Murnau

omgkitty

They made a big deal and honestly not that crazy about what they have to show. The Keaton stuff is already coming in region A, so besides the Early Murnau, nothing really grabbing my attention.

Fjordson

Chungking went down on Amazon, only to come back at a lower price ($28 now). I'm shocked they're still letting people order it.

omgkitty

Chungking went down on Amazon, only to come back at a lower price ($28 now). I'm shocked they're still letting people order it.

I keep thinking about getting one, but then I already have a copy, and if these are widely available now, there's really no point.

Yeah this whole thing is very bizarre to me. But you'd think if it weren't real they'd have taken it down by now. It's a popular seller now, and has some attention so they have to be aware of it if it's actually an issue. And its sold through Amazon itself, not some third party.

I guess we'll see either way pretty soon though.

overcast

I'm worried that Chungking will disappear forever and I should just buy it at 28 dollars.

My brother ordered a copy last night.

berzeli

Banned
Oh, Arrow.
*** SURPRISE NEW UK TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT – THE BURNING! ***

We’re thrilled to be able to announce that we’ll be bringing the 1981 slasher opus THE BURNING to Blu-ray/DVD later this year. A contender for our most requested title ever, THE BURNING will arrive in a limited “BIG MAC” OVERDONE EDITION, featuring a full-size foam burger and crammed with both archive and brand new extras – enough to satisfy the appetite of any self-respecting slice-and-dice fan.

Pre-orders for this exclusive set will go live at the end of April, so check back here for more details soon. In the meantime, feast your eyes on the full specs below!

-----

THE BURNING – THE “BIG MAC” OVERDONE EDITION

GATHER AROUND THE CAMPFIRE TO DIE!

1981 was a bumper year for the slasher genre, with films such as My Bloody Valentine, Halloween II and The Funhouse all slicing their way through the box office. But of all the stalk-and-slash films released that year, few remain as gruesomely effective as The Burning.

An ill-judged prank at a summer camp results in a fire that leaves caretaker Cropsy hideously disfigured. Discharged from an intensive care unit after five years, hospital officials warn him not to blame the young campers who put him there. But no sooner is he back on the streets than he’s headed back to camp with a rusty pair of shears in hand, determined to exact his bloody revenge.

One of the more notorious of the “video nasties” to be banned in Britain thanks to its standout gore effects courtesy of FX legend Tom Savini, The Burning is also notable for early performances by Academy Award-winner Holly Hunter and Seinfeld’s Jason Alexander, as well as a standout synth score from Rick Wakeman. Long absent from UK home video shelves, The Burning is finally back to reclaim its status as the ultimate summer camp slasher movie.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
•Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Audio Commentary with director Tony Maylam
•Brand new audio commentary with star Lou David in the role of Cropsy
•No Soup for You – career-spanning interview with star Jason Alexander
•Crash and Burn(ing) – star Holly Hunter looks back at her first screen role
•Original Theatrical Trailer
•Fully-illustrated collector’s booklet with new writing on the film
The Facebook comments are a fucking treasure though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Two days passed without any word on my Chungking Express shipping.....dunno about this one.

Fjordson

Two days passed without any word on my Chungking Express shipping.....dunno about this one.
Still available for purchase on Amazon lmao. So weird. Though mine says expected to ship April 5th, so not dead yet.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but this is a holy grail blu-ray for me. Really anxious to see if it's real.

Top Bottom