• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

Great cover:

822_DVD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Mi goreng

i've been splurging lately and after scouring zavvi and amazon i've come to realise a lot of kewl stuff hasn't been blu'd

the devils
come and see
la vie nouvelle
the comedy
birth
todd solondz happiness and palindromes
andrzej zulawski's

if the sinful dwarf can be on blu ray...

is there anything else that's painfully missing?

berzeli

Banned
the devils
come and see
la vie nouvelle
the comedy
birth
todd solondz happiness and palindromes
andrzej zulawski's

1. Blame the US section of Warner. They still think it's blasphemous. No really, that is the actual 100% true reason.
2. Kino actually announced a US release of this. In 2011/2012. It didn't happen. I think the master is subpar, there might be a restoration under way but don't quote me on this, I could have gotten it confused with something else
3. Too niche.
4. Too niche/mixed reception
5 & 6. Might happen if they ever do a boxset of the directors in question. Otherwise I wouldn't bet on it.
7. Happening! Arrow will release Cosmos on bluray in the UK. No word on anything else by Żuławski. (not by Arrow though)

This post, mostly, brought to you by:
giphy.gif

I do love that Clouds cover though.

Ridley327

7. Happening! Arrow will release Cosmos on bluray in the UK. No word on anything else by Żuławski. (not by Arrow though)

Zulawski more or less had his own label all to himself in Mondo Vision, and I think everything they've released thus far has been region-free. I think they've got his remaining films on the docket already for Blu-ray, to go along with all they've put out up until now.

Conceptually it's a decent idea but the execution is bad, Chloe's face covering multiple peaks throws the whole thing off for me.
The trees at the bottom and text positioning really don't help either.

SeanC

Anyone's Chungking ship yet? Mine still says it's expected to tomorrow

Nope.

I check every morning, I have something else that's supposed to ship with it. It did slightly change today stating that my expected arrival date is April 14 instead of the window of April 8 - whateveritwasidontremember.

Still not canceled, that's what matters.

Anybody look into the price change? I need to go through my spam folder because I never heard back if there would be a refund for the difference.

berzeli

Banned
EARLY MURNAU: FIVE FILMS 1921-1925 - Artwork and Special Features revealed!

One of the most influential and revered figures in all of cinema, Friedrich Wilheim Murnau came to prominence in the first half of the 1920s with a diverse string of productions ranging from buoyant satire to swirling psychological drama. Five key works are presented here: Schloß Vogelöd, Phantom, The Grand Duke’s Finances (Die Finanzen des Großherzogs), The Last Laugh (Der Letzte Mann) and Tartuffe.

This collection features new high-definition transfers of all five films from the finest archival elements, all on Blu-ray in a special edition three-disc set for the first time. Release Date 22 August 2016

SPECIAL FEATURES:
- New high-definition presentations of all five films, created by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung
- Uncompressed PCM audio on all five scores
- Original German-language intertitles with newly translated optional English-language subtitles on all films
- The Language of the Shadows: Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau and His Films, a 31-minute video piece by Luciano Berriatúa on the early works of Murnau
- Audio commentary by film scholar David Kalat on The Grand Duke’s Finances
- The Making of The Last Laugh, a 41-minute documentary by Murnau expert Luciano Berriatúa
- Tartuffe: The Lost Film, a 37-minute documentary by Berriatúa
- A 100-page book featuring writing by Charles Jameux, Lotte H. Eisner, Janet Bergstrom, Tony Rayns, archival imagery, and more!
That font though... (still going to buy it)
I absolutely love every single aspect of this cover, on their own. It ends up too busy for me

Seems I just pop in here to bitch about cover art recently but the font on the Murnau set is truly atrocious.
Has to be a placeholder surely! (...please?)
Looks good otherwise though, I'm tempted...

berzeli

Banned
I have no idea what Female Prisoner Scorpion is, but it looks pretty awesome. Look at these sweet posters:
Haven't seen any, but from what I've been told it's a slightly trashy series of action films in the Battles Without Honor and Humanity vein.

Also you posted boooooobs. Which is generally frowned upon on this forum.

omgkitty

Haven't seen any, but from what I've been told it's a slightly trashy series of action films in the Battles Without Honor and Humanity vein.

Also you posted boooooobs. Which is generally frowned upon on this forum.

Haha I didn't even notice! Shit's real small!

big ander

Oh man that Murnau set looks incredible (content wise that is). so glad MoC stuff is all regions, when that comes out I might splurge and between them and Kino grab everything Murnau.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I have no idea what Female Prisoner Scorpion is, but it looks pretty awesome. Look at these sweet posters:

The initial trilogy is a cornerstone of Japan's pinky violence era; their quality takes a nosedive after lead Meiko Kaji (who you probably would recognize from Lady Snowblood) leaves the series, but the other films aren't nearly as easily available, so somewhat of a moot point. While there are quite a few pinky films that I prefer over these, it's impossible to argue against their influence - without 'em, large aspects of Tarantino and Chan-wook Park's careers wouldn't exist - and there's rarely a movie that can blend surrealism, sexuality, and hyper-violence into something so watchable.

The first Scorpion film is pretty good from what I remember. I haven't seen the others but they're probably watchable because Meiko Kaji is fucking awesome. Also glad to see Tom Mes is writing a book about her, his Miike books were pretty good.

My Chungking now says "expected to ship soon" when it was supposed to ship today. Expected delivery is still the 11th.

Yeah I'm also starting to think this isn't gonna happen :/

The initial trilogy is a cornerstone of Japan's pinky violence era; their quality takes a nosedive after lead Meiko Kaji (who you probably would recognize from Lady Snowblood) leaves the series, but the other films aren't nearly as easily available, so somewhat of a moot point. While there are quite a few pinky films that I prefer over these, it's impossible to argue against their influence - without 'em, large aspects of Tarantino and Chan-wook Park's careers wouldn't exist - and there's rarely a movie that can blend surrealism, sexuality, and hyper-violence into something so watchable.

can i request some recommendations.. that looks right up my alley

Ridley327

Thanks for the reminder, been meaning to delve into these for years now!
Do the Hanzo trilogy fall under this sub-genre?
I picked the Eureka set up for cheap based on the box art alone and had a great time with them :)

I don't think they do specifically, though it's hard to argue that there aren't some elements in there given how downright lurid those films get with their situations.

Ridley327

It's rare you see a face that was so specifically made for film. Meiko Kaji has such striking features that go beyond the idea of merely being attractive.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

teepo

i've only seen the first film from the Female Prisoner Scorpion series but i remember liking it quite a lot. now i'm eager to see the rest.

I don't think they do specifically, though it's hard to argue that there aren't some elements in there given how downright lurid those films get with their situations.
Hanzo isn't pinky primarily because there's no female protagonist. It has to be all about bad girls doin' bad shit.

Ahh gotcha, cheers!

I meant to pick this up when it released:

51RXSY4PNBL.jpg

Which means I've been meaning to delve in to these films for 10 years... :(
Will definitely get round to it now though!

swoon

ox bow is one of the great films of any genre, wellman one of the best directors. there's not a way to love film and hide from westerns/musicals/whatever especially if you were excited about the first half of arrow's releases.

omgkitty

ox bow is one of the great films of any genre, wellman one of the best directors. there's not a way to love film and hide from westerns/musicals/whatever especially if you were excited about the first half of arrow's releases.

I'm not complaining necessarily, I just think it's funny it seems to work out that way.

Ridley327

I think the announcement for The Ox-Bow Incident is also dampened because of Kino putting out a Blu-ray with the new restoration as a part of their new deal with Fox. From what it looks like, they have practically identical extras on the discs, so the appeal lies in what the contents of the booklet are in the Arrow.

IronRinn

the devils

1. Blame the US section of Warner. They still think it's blasphemous. No really, that is the actual 100% true reason.

Yeah, it's really sad, though I don't think it's just a matter of the US division. Russell had to cut it just to get an X rating in the UK. I saw it once for a film class and absolutely loved it. Some of the footage that they cut both pre and post release may be gone forever, too, which is a shame. Absolutely incredible movie. Fuck Warner and their cowardice.

berzeli

Banned

Um ok, I haven't hidden from westerns. Just as I say in that post, I don't particularly care for them as a genre. I've seen plenty of the classic westerns, and whilst I usually enjoyed them, they're not going in my top 10, or 20, or 30. So when the single release which isn't leftovers from the Fassbinder set is a western it doesn't excite me. Sorry that I have preferences which have been cultivated throughout the years. But hey, don't let someone's personal opinion (and one clearly stated as such) get in the way of you being condescending.

Yeah, it's really sad, though I don't think it's just a matter of the US division. Russell had to cut it just to get an X rating in the UK. I saw it once for a film class and absolutely loved it. Some of the footage that they cut both pre and post release may be gone forever, too, which is a shame. Absolutely incredible movie. Fuck Warner and their cowardice.

Nah, it's 100% with the US section, the UK one has stated that they don't have an issue with the film.

The Devils is in a sad state of affairs. But you never know where film elements may pop up, so let's be (cautiously) optimistic.

Top Bottom