• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

mccabe.png

Seems like we're locked in for a 2016 release for this one. Probably one of the big fall titles.

SPOILERSSSSSSSSS

I just got my copy of The Tales of Hoffmann in so expect that to be announced next! I said this same thing when I finally gave up and bought a copy of Le Samourai on DVD, but sadly it didn't work :(

swoon

god, another western

Um ok, I haven't hidden from westerns. Just as I say in that post, I don't particularly care for them as a genre. I've seen plenty of the classic westerns, and whilst I usually enjoyed them, they're not going in my top 10, or 20, or 30. So when the single release which isn't leftovers from the Fassbinder set is a western it doesn't excite me. Sorry that I have preferences which have been cultivated throughout the years. But hey, don't let someone's personal opinion (and one clearly stated as such) get in the way of you being condescending. .

it's not condescending, it is your taste, and it's a common thing for people to not like westerns or musicals, but if you are hyped for warmed-over gallios and non essential pinky violence films that have been available forever, whatever.

feel free to link to your top 30 , i am interested.

berzeli

Banned
it's not condescending, it is your taste, and it's a common thing for people to not like westerns or musicals, but if you are hyped for warmed-over gallios and non essential pinky violence films that have been available forever, whatever.

feel free to link to your top 30 , i am interested.

Who said anything about me liking giallo (I don't) or pinky violence (I like some)? I would appreciate if you were able to take your head out of your ass and step down from the pedestal you and your ego built for yourself before you make assumptions, but hey what do I know. I'm apparently unable to appreciate cinema, so who knows what else I'm incapable of.

I wasn't going to engage you further especially since it's 1 am over here, but I remembered that I was talking to omgkitty about top lists and how old films we liked were so I had a sort of list compiled
A mostly unsorted top 5:
1. Tokyo Story (1953)
Au Revoir les Enfants (1987)
La Grand Illusion (1937)
The Conversation (1974)
Raven's End (1963)

A selection of honourable mentions
12 Years a Slave/Shame/Hunger
Ran
Mullholland Drive
L'armee des Ombres
We Need To Talk about Kevin
All the President's Men
Last Year In Marienbad
Profound Desires of the Gods
Mommy (2014)
The Passion of Joan of Arc
And I'm probably messing it, badly at that, up since it's 1 am and I'm about to crash for the night.
The only addition to that hastily thrown together list I'm going to bother to add is The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, mostly because I remembered it the second I sent that message. And I'm messing it up again. But then again, as we discussed no at some length, since I dared express the view that I wasn't excited about a western film I really shouldn't be allowed to have opinions on film.
xoxo
<3

Ridley327

Is the dual-format release of City Lights OOP?
Pretty sure it is. Criterion has been quietly replacing dual format titles for a bit now, with the only "safe" ones being the box sets. Even those are marked men, as the Zatoichi box set has been OOS for a minute.

Eureka said:
Flash Announcement! We have another title to add to our very busy 2016 schedule, in June we'll be upgrading EDVARD MUNCH, Peter Watkins’ astonishing 1974 masterpiece about the Norwegian Expressionist painter of The Scream, to be released on Blu-ray in the UK on 13 June 2016.

FstcQLt.jpg

Pretty sure it is. Criterion has been quietly replacing dual format titles for a bit now, with the only "safe" ones being the box sets. Even those are marked men, as the Zatoichi box set has been OOS for a minute.
It's kind of a bummer. I liked getting a DVD with the BR.

berzeli

Banned
Wow, Eureka's set for Man with Movie Camera is gorgeous:
x1ulxw9.jpg

Now if only there was a retailer which didn't fuck with me in terms of price or shipping.
And thankfully they adjusted the Early Murnau cover:
ebRuHyH.jpg

Slight improvement at least.

Fjordson

Already got my Outlaw Gangster VIP box from Arrow! Their shipping to the States is pretty dope, even when I'm all the way over in California. Excited to watch a few this weekend.

SeanC

Chunking Update for those interested:

Amazon sent a notification that shipping has been delayed. Not canceled though.

Weird stuff. I checked "OK" on approving that I still want it so we'll see. Next step may very well be a cancelation once they take a look at the order v. their stock and realize it was incorrectly listed as available.

Steamlord

Chunking Update for those interested:

Amazon sent a notification that shipping has been delayed. Not canceled though.

Weird stuff. I checked "OK" on approving that I still want it so we'll see. Next step may very well be a cancelation once they take a look at the order v. their stock and realize it was incorrectly listed as available.

Yep, same thing happened to me. Pretty pissed.

omgkitty

Not to be that guy, but you guys probably aren't going to get Chungking Express. Same thing happened a couple years ago when they had stuff like The Third Man go back up. At this point it would probably be best to assume you're not getting it, and if you do you can be happy ;)

Wow, Eureka's set for Man with Movie Camera is gorgeous:

Now if only there was a retailer which didn't fuck with me in terms of price or shipping.

woah. Thanks for the reminder. Won't take any chances like I did with A touch of zen (plus there seems to be a pre-order discount on amazon right now).

Why is a Touch of Zen no longer available already?

The limited edition was 2,000 copies. It has been OOP after a couple of months. Then back up again for a short time. There will be a regular edition from MoC though (on top of Criterion and Carlotta releasing their own).

omgkitty

The limited edition was 2,000 copies. It has been OOP after a couple of months. Then back up again for a short time. There will be a regular edition from MoC though (on top of Criterion and Carlotta releasing their own).

I really hate these LE releases with a normal release later. Arrow is doing it a lot too. To me it just seems to force people to buy them instead of waiting for price cuts later.

Ridley327

Every film should be available for everyone to watch as easily as possible. Treating them like commodities really bothers me.

I agree, but Blu-ray is becoming an enthusiast market outside of the blockbusters. They're simply adapting tactics that have worked incredibly well for other enthusiast hobbies. I will say I do appreciate that Criterion has never really done anything like that and doesn't seem to be interested in going down that road.

berzeli

Banned
I just can't fault them. Whereas it is great for me as a consumer to pay next to nothing for a film, it doesn't make Arrow/Eureka any money. And it's not like the physical media market is booming.

And Criterion has a tonne of name recognition compared to Arrow/Eureka, so it's easier for them to ask for a higher RRP (and stay closer to it, though I wonder how that will paly out in the UK). For a lot of releases you just get way more for your money with Arrow/Eureka, even at RRP.

Fjordson

Speaking of Arrow's limited releases:

52f6c669-8e62-4fbe-9edb-384f734b9fa3.jpg

I love how specific the Fassbinder box number is compared to the other ones.
Everyone in here probably already knows about it, but I can't recommend the Battles set enough before it sells out. Great set of movies in beautiful packaging. Even the booklet included is a good read.

Everyone in here probably already knows about it, but I can't recommend the Battles set enough before it sells out. Great set of movies in beautiful packaging. Even the booklet included is a good read.

I've been hovering over the set for 2 days and that chart might push me over the edge. I also wanted the Outlaw Gangster VIP set, but this one jumped out in front.

Gonna be broke by July wtf. Female Convict Scorpion set, Shout Factory Manhunter release, Shout Factory Return of The Living Dead, now this. smh

Ridley327

I've been hovering over the set for 2 days and that chart might push me over the edge. I also wanted the Outlaw Gangster VIP set, but this one jumped out in front.

Gonna be broke by July wtf. Female Convict Scorpion set, Shout Factory Manhunter release, Shout Factory Return of The Living Dead, now this. smh

Believe it or not, I do have an extra set for the Battles set that I might be willing to part with. PM if you're interested.

SeanC

Would love to get that Battles set, just don't have the cash for that much on a set at the moment and it'll probably sell out before I do.

I would love it if they did a second run of just Blu-Ray and no DVDs, maybe would help bring the price down to below $100 at least with the packaging costs.

I am looking at that Mona Lisa/Long Good Friday set though. I've been looking to upgrade from the old Criterion DVDs and 46 bucks is a little more manageable.

berzeli

Banned
Battles is getting reissued without the book and without the The Complete Saga (the compilation film of the first four films), which is why I didn't go for it. Not having seen the films, it's not just worth gambling with that much money (to me).

SeanC

Battles is getting reissued without the book and without the The Complete Saga (the compilation film of the first four films), which is why I didn't go for it. Not having seen the films, it's not just worth gambling with that much money (to me).

Excellent. I'm happy to pay 60 or 70 for it. I'm going in blind too even though it sounds like it's totally up my alley.

Oh god, why am I on eBay looking for Scream Factory slipcovers? I know they are just thin pieces of cardboard, but they look so good though. I am part of the problem.

berzeli

Banned
Decided to spring for the Vertov set. Ordered it directly from Eureka, ended up being the least worst option. Sure I get fucked a bit on the price, but at least I get fucked by a company I like and respect.

Also, another British label Network has a sale on, I think it might be ending today. They mainly do old British films and TV, they have some really nice releases such as Black Narcissus, Odd Man Out, Vintage Hitchcock's, and Richard III. (They also have the best release of The Ipcress File, but it would be bit of a stretch to call it "really nice"). Most of their releases are region B locked.

Top Bottom