• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

XShagrath

63_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
823_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
824_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
825_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
197_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Carnival of Souls cover is gorgeous.

Reposting for new page.

As if I needed another reason to buy another Malick criterion, they gave me 3

Carnival of Souls cover is dope. Just watched it too, courtesy of Hulu

And it comes with a book! They went full-on Brazil for this film.

Wowza. I've always wondered how they decide which movies they decide to give "special" treatment too RE packaging and supplements. Is it just a question of rights & profit projections as to which movie gets a big ol digipack with a book and tons of extras in it vs standard case and pamphlet? Or do they do it based on what they're most passionate about? Like why did they decide New World was worth it, vs say The Thin Red Line?

Always jump for joy when films I really like get booklets.

Wowza. I've always wondered how they decide which movies they decide to give "special" treatment too RE packaging and supplements. Is it just a question of rights & profit projections as to which movie gets a big ol digipack with a book and tons of extras in it vs standard case and pamphlet? Or do they do it based on what they're most passionate about? Like why did they decide New World was worth it, vs say The Thin Red Line?

A bit of both, although I think it leans towards more what will sell.

Ridley327

The only odd thing going on is that they didn't pair the eventual release of Dragon Inn to coincide with A Touch of Zen, but that's pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Ridley327

Was really hoping it was going to be a Touch of Zen + Dragon's Inn set. Dragon's Inn is a good time.

I wasn't expecting it just because both films are so well-regarded on their own in the wuxia genre. I know A Touch of Zen is the bigger deal just because of the direct influence it had on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (good of Criterion to nab an interview with Ang Lee for the set!!!), but I don't think it would have been illogical to assume it would be a paired release as far as the month was concerned, like the various Suzuki twofers they've done in the past.

overcast

Hot damn, the set for The New World has all three cuts.

826_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg
Man, they fucking killed on covers this month. This is a must buy release too. Huge nitpick though.. The font/text box for "The New World" does not fit at all with the art.

Hopefully these make the sale, though it'll be cutting it close. Haven't seen any of the other July releases, how are they?

Wait, what the hell, the 172 minute cut of The New World has new footage :O

EDIT: Hmmm, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but apparently Q'orianka Kilcher was at a screening recently saying they were going through old takes and making a new edit. *shrug*

Ridley327

I just got a email from Criterion specifically for the July slate. I don't think I've ever seen that before from them, so they must be going all out on the promotion of them prior to the B&N sale.

Well, as all out as boutique labels will get.

berzeli

Banned
Since it hasn't gotten a lot of love yet;

Night and Fog is an incredible film. It is one of the most haunting pieces of cinema I've ever seen and it left me physically trembling out of the theatre. Hard to overstate just how good it is.

The rest of the lineup is quite strong, I've actually not seen Muriel or... I should rectify that. Resnais is an incredible director.

Ridley327

Interesting note about the Carnival of Souls upgrade: it looks like it's only including the theatrical cut. I'm not sure what the major differences are between that and the director's cut that Criterion included on the original DVD they did (it's a difference of 5 minutes), but if I had to speculate as to why the latter is being excluded, I would assume that the materials that comprised the additions for the DC were not in a suitable condition for restoration. A shame, but I expect an unavoidable circumstance given the film's long history in the public domain.

Only really interested in Carnival of Souls. Maybe I'll grab Touch of Zen sometime down the line. So many other Criterions I need to grab...

Excited to revisit The New World. I hope Touch of Zen (and Dragon Inn) play in theaters near me but I'll probably still pick it up.

I know I'm super late to this party but damn is Second Run awesome. A Jester's Tale is mindblowing and I can't wait to watch Something Different/A Bagful of Fleas. Their lineup this year looks great, too, and being able to order the new releases through Arrow's site (complete with rewards points) makes it way too tempting.

Since it hasn't gotten a lot of love yet;

Night and Fog is an incredible film. It is one of the most haunting pieces of cinema I've ever seen and it left me physically trembling out of the theatre. Hard to overstate just how good it is.

Yup, although seeing as it's a half an hour movie (one of the most important but still) I'll wait to see if the extras justify the upgrade from the DVD.

So New World was good? I remember it got bad reviews and friends who saw it always say it sucked.

It's VERY good, although I personally prefer all Malick movies that precede it and the one that follows.

So New World was good? I remember it got bad reviews and friends who saw it always say it sucked.

Before I got into Malick around ~07/08, I can remember everyone saying it was a big misstep, especially after The Thin Red Line.

I proceeded to watch Badlands, Days of Heaven, TTRL and The New World. Then I saw the next 3 movies as they released.

The New World is still my favorite Malick. Spellbinding movie. The Director's Cut is one of my top 3 of the last 10 years, in fact.

Moral of the story: People are wrong and terrible.

Blader

I'd seen Badlands, Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line first but disliked them all (Badlands was okay) so I put off The New World for a long time. I wasn't really interested in the setting either so that didn't help entice me. Eventually I got around to watching it, and not only did I love it, but the things I loved about it were exactly what I disliked about Days or Thin Red Line. Then, when I went back and rewatched those films, I liked them way more than I had the first time.

Not only a great film on its own, but made me do a complete 180 on two other movies too.

I haven't seen New World yet, but I'm gonna blind buy it off of how much I loved Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line, and Tree of Life. Figure I won't regret it.

Ridley327

Is Night and Fog only 30 minutes?

From what I can tell, yes. I think it used to be one of the cheapest Criterion DVDs as a result, but I don't think it had nearly as many extras as this new edition has. The documentary they're including is more than three times the length of the feature attraction!

big ander

The In-Laws needs more love. Feels like one of those movies everybody in the world has seen referenced in something, but too few have actually seen. Looking forward to revisiting it myself for the first time in almost a decade

Fjordson

Yup, although seeing as it's a half an hour movie (one of the most important but still) I'll wait to see if the extras justify the upgrade from the DVD.

It's VERY good, although I personally prefer all Malick movies that precede it and the one that follows.

Before I got into Malick around ~07/08, I can remember everyone saying it was a big misstep, especially after The Thin Red Line.

I proceeded to watch Badlands, Days of Heaven, TTRL and The New World. Then I saw the next 3 movies as they released.

The New World is still my favorite Malick. Spellbinding movie. The Director's Cut is one of my top 3 of the last 10 years, in fact.

Moral of the story: People are wrong and terrible.
Interesting. I'll probably blind buy it just because I like the setting and Farrell.

Badlands and Days of Heaven are really great, but modern Malick is a little up and down for me. Loved Thin Red Line, liked Tree of Life, and didn't care for To the Wonder.

Ridley327

Official word re: the lack of the DC on the new release of Carnival of Souls:

The Criterion Collection’s newest Blu-ray/DVD release of CARNIVAL OF SOULS is the theatrical cut of the film, and the longest scenes from the director’s cut will be presented on the release as deleted scenes. The camera negative we used for our 4K transfer and 2K restoration is the theatrical cut, and the other cut only exists in an analog one-inch videotape.

Here is the intro text that will be presented on the disc explaining this:

A few brief scenes, along with a handful of individual shots, were trimmed from Carnival of Souls before its theatrical and drive-in release in 1962. The distributor, Herts-Lion International, made the cuts so that the film’s run time would be short enough for it to play on a double bill with The Devil’s Messenger. In 1989, director Herk Harvey edited the material back in to create a new cut of the film for home video release. As the best existing source for that material is an analog one-inch videotape, we have not included it in the restored 2K master of the film presented in this release. The longest three of the cut scenes are presented here, with head and tail from the new restoration.

I think an analog one-inch videotape qualifies as insufficient materials!

omgkitty

Kinsella is doing the McCabe & Mrs. Miller cover as well it appears.

Got to see the original painting by Edward Kinsella for his most recent Criterion Collection cover last night. Absolutely stunning work. And the poster (just off-screen) is going to be amazing as well. I forgot to bug him about McCabe & Mrs. Miller though...

Steamlord

That looming silhouette of Saltair is one of the most haunting images in Carnival of Souls so I'm glad they included it in the artwork. In fact, now that I think about it,
the use of that as the final shot in the movie seems like it could be directly influenced by Nosferatu and its final shot of the castle. Both achieve pretty much exactly the same mood in their final moments.

Dang it. I just opened my copy of Mulholland Drive that I ordered back in December from Amazon and discovered it is a DVD, and not a blu-ray disc. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think if I contact Criterion and show them the online receipt that they'll exchange the disc? Or did I wait to long? I assume Amazon won't replace since I'm so late on discovering this. Serves me right for waiting so long.

omgkitty

Dang it. I just opened my copy of Mulholland Drive that I ordered back in December from Amazon and discovered it is a DVD, and not a blu-ray disc. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think if I contact Criterion and show them the online receipt that they'll exchange the disc? Or did I wait to long? I assume Amazon won't replace since I'm so late on discovering this. Serves me right for waiting so long.

Just email Jon Mulvaney and explain the issue and "he" should work it out for you. Criterion is pretty cool with replacing stuff. Contact info here.

berzeli

Banned
Turner And Criterion Team To Launch Classic Movie SVOD Service
Turner’s launching an ad-free streaming site, FilmStruck, this fall featuring what it calls “an eclectic mix of contemporary and classic art house, indie, foreign and cult films.” Turner Classic Movies will run the operation, which will be the exclusive streaming venue for the Criterion Collection, including its Criterion Channel.

Criterion’s library is moving from Hulu, where it had been had been available since 2011 after moving from Netflix.
Criterion Collection President Peter Becker says the new service will include “a steady stream of exclusive original content and archival discoveries, plus continual access to more than 1,000 films from the Janus Films library, many unavailable on disc or anywhere else.””
So this is pretty exciting. Shame that it will probably be US only

lordxar

It's the reason why stuff like Fandor and Mubi is basically useless right now. I'm not buying another $100 box just to use those services.

A Chromecast is like $35 and I believe Apple is supported in addition to Android. Then you just need a phone or tablet with the apps installed. I have both Fandor and Mubi installed (basically placeholders for now) on my phone but haven't tried them at home yet but I would think they could cast. Myself, I prefer running the Chromecast than burning up my Playstation unless I'm lazy.

omgkitty

This makes it tough to keep Hulu around. Wondering how many of the criterions this will have and how much it'll end up being.

I would assume it will be everything they have on Hulu. Supposedly they are going to be including commentaries and special features as well.

Top Bottom