• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

Considering the classics lineup at Cannes this year, I wonder if we'll be seeing upgrades for both Masculin féminin and Ugetsu in the next year or so. I sure hope we get one for the latter, at least!

Steamlord

Ugetsu would be great to see. If I had my choice of J-horror to be released on Blu though (and yes I know calling Ugetsu horror is a stretch) I'd go with Nakagawa. Jigoku and Yotsuya are two of the greatest looking horror films of their era.

berzeli

Banned
Wonder how much better they can make Ugetsu look, the negatives are gone for that one if I remember correctly. And then there is the question of whether Criterion is interested in upgrading it, the Mizoguchis weren't selling that well for Eureka. But then the boxset became quite the sought after thing. Oh well.

Personally I'm hoping for The Decalogue to get a good release, and the part that says "Most of the films which will be presented will be released in theaters and on DVD/Blu-ray." makes me happy.

BearChair

This makes it tough to keep Hulu around. Wondering how many of the criterions this will have and how much it'll end up being.

Turner's press release includes this quote from the president of the Criterion Collection. It's not an exact answer but suggests a deep selection.

"The addition of the premium Criterion Channel will offer subscribers the most comprehensive Criterion experience ever available anywhere, including a steady stream of exclusive original content and archival discoveries, plus continual access to more than 1,000 films from the Janus Films library, many unavailable on disc or anywhere else."

Full release here: https://www.turner.com/pressroom/turner-launch-new-streaming-movie-service-filmstruck

Criterion's blog post also included this detail, which supports the idea of a robust selection: "Once we’re up and running, the Criterion Channel will not only offer continual access to our library of more than 1,100 films, along with their special features, it will also give us the chance to approach the Criterion mission in a whole new way."

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4032-introducing-filmstruck

My wife and I are both cautiously optimistic about this. We don't have cable but desperately miss TCM. We hope this includes much of the material on Watch TCM in addition to the Criterion selection but that seems too good to be true.

What are your guesses on price? I'm thining $8-$10 for the standard service and an extra $5 for Criterion. At that price, I'm still on board. I wouldn't be willing to go a whole lot more, though.

Ridley327

Wonder how much better they can make Ugetsu look, the negatives are gone for that one if I remember correctly. And then there is the question of whether Criterion is interested in upgrading it, the Mizoguchis weren't selling that well for Eureka. But then the boxset became quite the sought after thing. Oh well.

Personally I'm hoping for The Decalogue to get a good release, and the part that says "Most of the films which will be presented will be released in theaters and on DVD/Blu-ray." makes me happy.

It's probably just me being superstitious, but if they do get to Ugetsu, I'm going to be holding onto my DVD until they announce the full specs for it. It comes with such a nice booklet, complete with the short stories that inspired the film, and I'd hate to lose that.

overcast

Since I assume everyone here collects blu's/dvd's.. given its a thread based on home media. What affordable storage do you guys put your movies in? Something simple that can hold a lot of movies.

berzeli

Banned
It's probably just me being superstitious, but if they do get to Ugetsu, I'm going to be holding onto my DVD until they announce the full specs for it. It comes with such a nice booklet, complete with the short stories that inspired the film, and I'd hate to lose that.

You could always buy a Late Mizoguchi boxset and get both bluray and a book! It's only 500$ on ebay.

But wait and see sounds like a healthier response tbh.

XShagrath

Since I assume everyone here collects blu's/dvd's.. given its a thread based on home media. What affordable storage do you guys put your movies in? Something simple that can hold a lot of movies.
People looking for space saving alternatives usually use either CD binders, or a file catalog type system with sleeves in a drawer (with or without the cover art). Personally, I proudly display my collection on shelves in my office.

BearChair

Nothing is confirmed. It might not be more expensive with criterion. I know Hulu has Criterion until November though.

This quote on Criterion's blog seems to suggest otherwise. "FilmStruck subscribers will also be eligible to sign up for the Criterion Channel, a premium service that will be all Criterion’s own."

berzeli

Banned
Finally got my Vertov set, got a bit worried since there has been major issues with the postal service around here, it really is a thing of beauty.

And it's in the 2 for 25£ offer on amazon, 12.50£ for this set is absolutely ridiculous.

Ridley327

This month's newsletter clue is cute and funny:

wacky_4-16_2.jpg

It's Cat People.

Steamlord

HOLY SHIT best news ever

Unless they plan on being total assholes and releasing the remake instead...

Anyway, Lewton and Tourneur coming to Blu is amazing news. Lewton produced some excellent horror films even after his little trilogy with Tourneur so I wouldn't mind seeing those get a release as well, but I really doubt that'll happen. Honestly a Cat People / I Walked With a Zombie / Leopard Man box set would be a dream come true.

Ridley327

I don't think you have to worry about it being Schraeder's remake, since Shout! Factory currently has a pretty stacked Blu-ray readily available at online retailers.

The Lewton films were easily in the "well, duh" pile for the WB deal, especially now that the DVD box set is no longer in print. I'd looooooooooooooooooooove to see them get the other ones if only because of The Body Snatcher.

Steamlord

I love The Body Snatcher. I would go so far as to say it's Karloff's best performance, at least that I've seen.

Really though, if we're getting Cat People, it would be a damn shame not to get Curse of the Cat People as well.

omgkitty

They should really do a Val Lewton set. I like it when they get into these weirder, not as highly regarded films (at least compared to most of their other releases). Kind of in the camp of stuff like Carnival of Souls, though obviously this stuff is much more well known.

big ander

I'd be disappointed if it's JUST Cat People honestly. If they're putting out that and The Curse of the Cat People or I Walked With a Zombie, awesome. If they go all out and throw in some combo of Seventh Victim, Bedlam, The Body Snatcher, Ghost Ship—I will pay any price.

looks like I'm the only person who thinks The Leopard Man is far and away the worst Lewton prod. (Haven't seen fifi or youth runs wild)

Steamlord

The Leopard Man isn't bad, but it's definitely the simplest and isn't as impressive as most other Lewton films. It still has some legendary moments though.
The girl begging her mother to let her in, then the blood seeping under the door is an all-time classic horror scene. Maybe not on par with Cat People's pool scene or the Lewton Bus, but still.
I'd say Isle of the Dead is probably the weakest Lewton film (I also haven't seen Mademoiselle Fifi or Youth Runs Wild, or his non-RKO films).

Ridley327

I love The Body Snatcher. I would go so far as to say it's Karloff's best performance, at least that I've seen.

Really though, if we're getting Cat People, it would be a damn shame not to get Curse of the Cat People as well.

It never ceases to amaze me that Curse of the Cat People works at all. It's such a massive 180 from its predecessor, and it still works very effectively.

omgkitty

I think that's with Lionsgate these days, who have been one of the more difficult studios to license from.

Why release titles when you can just horde them??? They took all those Studio Canal titles from Criterion, released a couple and sat on the rest. What a fucking awful company.

Ridley327

Why release titles when you can just horde them??? They took all those Studio Canal titles from Criterion, released a couple and sat on the rest. What a fucking awful company.

Remember when Studio Canal thought they could be the next Criterion, and then partnered with a company struggling to be the next Cannon Films to make that happen in the US? Good times.

berzeli

Banned
Let's all take a minute to appreciate that I did not have to make this image:

Remember when Studio Canal thought they could be the next Criterion, and then partnered with a company struggling to be the next Cannon Films to make that happen in the US? Good times.

It was more of a "remember when Studiocanal wanted to simplify their distribution situation in the US and Lionsgate were looking to expand?". It's also worth noting that the two studios distribute a lot of each others new films in their respective territories.

Like, the situation sucks. No doubt about it, but the distribution deal covered more than just titles relevant to this thread.

The question really is why the fuck Lionsgate aren't releasing the films or if not that sublicensing them.

omgkitty

I mean a lot of those discs have been released in the UK. All they have to do is print some up and sell them. It's not like it would cost them a lot more money.

berzeli

Banned
I mean a lot of those discs have been released in the UK. All they have to do is print some up and sell them. It's not like it would cost them a lot more money.

Well, if they'd release them barebones, it really shouldn't cost them much* (other than re-authorising the discs).
Otherwise there is some licensing money to pay for interviews, archival footage, and such. But it shouldn't amount to unimaginable numbers. I'm genuinely baffled as to why they just sit on it.

Even Paramount, fucking Paramount, is doing more with their library.

*I know distribution isn't cheap. I'm speaking in relative terms.

omgkitty

According to a recent interview with Peter Becker, Criterion have acquired the rights to seven films from Ousmane Sembene. Another note is that it took them 10 years to acquire the rights to Satyajit Ray's films and 7 years for A Brighter Summer Day.

big ander

According to a recent interview with Peter Becker, Criterion have acquired the rights to seven films from Ousmane Sembene. Another note is that it took them 10 years to acquire the rights to Satyajit Ray's films and 7 years for A Brighter Summer Day.

Awesome news

berzeli

Banned

Good news. This reminds me that I really should be picking up the Black Girl + Borom Sarret release from BFI.

Speaking of BFI, they announced (or it got leaked) new titles for late-summer/fall:
Women in Love (1969) | Ken Russell

Synopsis: Free-spirited sculptress Gudrun and her sister, schoolteacher Ursula, become acquainted with lifelong friends Gerald and Rupert in 1920s England. Gerald falls in love with Gudrun, and Rupert with Ursula, but their respective relationships are soon put to the test, particularly during an eventful and tense holiday in Switzerland. Adapted from the novel by D. H. Lawrence. Starring Alan Bates, Oliver Reed, Glenda Jackson, Jennie Linden, and Eleanor Bron.

Psychomania (1973) | Don Sharp

LOOK OUT! The Living Dead motorcycle gang is on the rampage, wreaking havoc in their small English town. For gang leader Tom (Nicky Henson), however, mere earthly violence is not enough: he's obsessed with the occult and is convinced that he can kill himself and then return from the dead - with the help of a frog-worshipping cult and his seance-conducting mother (Beryl Reid). Remarkably, Tom succeeds and soon joins the ranks of the walking - and riding - dead! Now if he can only persuade his girlfriend and the rest of his gang to join him - but Mother and her diabolical butler Shadwell (George Sanders) may have other plans for the Living Dead, who are dangerously trespassing on uncharted spiritual grounds.

Psychomania is a pre-punk British horror cult classic featuring trashy violence, suburban witchcraft and some amazing motorcycle stunt sequences. Come and ride with the Living Dead - if you dare! Starring Nicky Henson, Mary Larkin, Ann Michelle, Roy Holder, and Denis Gilmore.

The Glass Shield (1994) | Charles Burnett

A rookie cop and his female partner (Michael Boatman and Lori Petty) uncover a dangerous world of corruption when they realise an innocent man (Ice Cube) has been wrongly jailed for murder. They come up against a test of their loyalty: should they say nothing and abide by the unwritten laws of the precinct, but deny their oaths to uphold the law; or speak out and face alienation from the force? Starring Michael Boatman, Ice Cube, Lori Petty, Elliott Gould, and Michael Ironside.

I hope that the release of Glass Shield means that there is more Charles Burnett coming in the future.

Ridley327

Because they don't have enough sub-labels as it is, Shout! Factory announced a brand new line called Shout! Selects, which will cover a broader range of films that wouldn't fit in with Scream Factory while getting the same level of care. To this point, these will actually have spine numbers, so those with OCD can begin screaming now.

The line begins this August with The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, Midnight Run and Elvis.

Personally, I'm more jazzed that they're doing the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers the same month on the Scream Factory line, but it's nice to see them broaden out further with their studio deals.

Steamlord

Man, ever since I watched Eyes of Fire I've become more and more hopeful for a Scream Factory release someday. I'm kind of starting to love that crazy-ass movie.

That said, I will also gladly accept Body Snatchers '78.

Ridley327

Oh yeah, they also announced that they're doing a beefy Bill & Ted set with both films and a third disc of extras, as well as a collector's edition of everyone's favorite bar room bouncer epic, Road House.

berzeli

Banned
Spring sale on the Eureka website:
The Masters of Cinema Series
Three Days of the Condor (Dual Format) - £12.99
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Dual Format) - £12.99
Eureka (Dual Format) - £12.99
Fixed Bayonets (Dual Format) - £12.99
Novecento [1900] (Blu-ray) - £12.99
Fritz Lang's M (DVD and Dual Format available) - £9.99
Metropolis (DVD) - £9.99
Nosferatu (DVD) - £9.99
Sunrise (Dual Format) - £9.99
Faust (Dual Format) - £9.99
Das Cabinet des Dr Caligari (Dual Format) - £9.99
The Offence (Dual Format) - £9.99
Wooden Crosses (Dual Format) - £9.99
Paper Moon (Dual Format) - £9.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray) - £9.99

Personally, I'm more jazzed that they're doing the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers the same month on the Scream Factory line, but it's nice to see them broaden out further with their studio deals.

I'm pumped for this, the MGM release is very bare bones, so I'll gladly double dip for Scream Factory's. Hopefully the release will be up to par with the recent Texas Chainsaw Part 2 collectors edition. As long as Shout! can keep on delivering the goods like that, I'll replace any title they redo.

On another note, it looks like Lionsgate is going to release Chopping Mall this summer, maybe they're finally going to start digging into their vault.

Invasion '78 oddly enough totally works for me- it's certainly not the prettiest looking film but instead features a totally dour and grey atmosphere that seems to aid the cool tone of the film. The fact that it's almost entirely talking for the first half really helps too, genuinely creepy and unsettling rather than disgusting.

But once it goes crazy they really do allow it to go off the rails. Beautiful practical effects. Amusing and warm hearted 70s idiosyncrasies (mud baths run by hippies lol).

Ridley327

I was under the impression that the remake has been held up as one of the best for a long time now. I certainly loved the hell our of it myself.

I was under the impression that the remake has been held up as one of the best for a long time now. I certainly loved the hell our of it myself.
I just meant that I can see more modern audiences being lukewarm on it. "There's lots of talking and a warbling droneish soundtrack, monsters looked fake, look at the mustaches, hey there's Spock" etc. It rides that weird and wonderful time of darker PG material that wasn't meant for adults so it's kind of pulling its own punches.

Still, that story and the actors involved can't be beat. The plot doesn't stop and I love how sinister it all feels.

As an aside, Brooke Adams is so foxy innit too.

Steamlord

On the subject of Scream Factory, am I the only one who's generally not a fan of their artwork? It always seems like they try to capture that cheesy 80s charm and it just ends up looking kind of lame instead. Fortunately their covers seem to usually be reversible with the original artwork on the other side, although that doesn't help with the slipcovers. In most cases they could just stick with the original artwork and be fine, like with Sleepaway Camp for example. With other movies like Ginger Snaps and Night of the Comet though, the original artwork isn't very good either so it hurts even more that SF's artwork is also mediocre.

berzeli

Banned
On the subject of Scream Factory, am I the only one who's generally not a fan of their artwork? It always seems like they try to capture that cheesy 80s charm and it just ends up looking kind of lame instead. Fortunately their covers seem to usually be reversible with the original artwork on the other side, although that doesn't help with the slipcovers. In most cases they could just stick with the original artwork and be fine, like with Sleepaway Camp for example. With other movies like Ginger Snaps and Night of the Comet though, the original artwork isn't very good either so it hurts even more that SF's artwork is also mediocre.

This right here is the best part of the film. I love this poster.

Top Bottom