• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Steamlord

I mean yeah that's a great scene, but I guess the overall composition of the poster just doesn't really work for me. But I will say that the SF artwork is a definite downgrade in this case.

berzeli

Banned
I mean yeah that's a great scene, but I guess the overall composition of the poster just doesn't really work for me. But I will say that the SF artwork is a definite downgrade in this case.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. The only thing I dislike is the grading on the lettering, it's even worse on the quad:
poster-Night-of-the-Comet.jpg

But I love the imagery and like I said, I find the poster to be better than the film.

Ridley327

On the subject of Scream Factory, am I the only one who's generally not a fan of their artwork? It always seems like they try to capture that cheesy 80s charm and it just ends up looking kind of lame instead. Fortunately their covers seem to usually be reversible with the original artwork on the other side, although that doesn't help with the slipcovers. In most cases they could just stick with the original artwork and be fine, like with Sleepaway Camp for example. With other movies like Ginger Snaps and Night of the Comet though, the original artwork isn't very good either so it hurts even more that SF's artwork is also mediocre.
I'm with you, and boy, I don't think I'd be able to flip the art on Manhunter fast enough, but the fact that they do reversible art makes it OK.

I actually enjoy the art of the Scream Factory covers, for the most part that is. Having the covers side by side on my shelf kind of gives me an old EC horror comics vibe. I also like how I can reverse the art on the actual bluray case but still have the Scream art on the slipcover. Arrow does the same thing don't they? I will agree that the theatrical posters are mostly superior though, and some of the Scream Factory art (Manhunter) is awful.

Ridley327

Microwave Massacre looks like it deserves a tagline just like Pieces, because it looks like exactly what you think it is.

The Early Cronenberg disc is basically the bonus disc from their huge Videodrome set, isn't it? Both Stereo and Crimes of the Future are already included as bonus films on Scanners and The Brood in the US (I think they're also on the Blu-ray for Fast Company, too), but I don't think those two shorts have been represented at all in any US-friendly release.

berzeli

Banned
Oh I forgot to mention, BFI will be releasing the Quay Brothers short film collection on blu in region B land. No official announcement as of yet, tentative release date is September.

The Early Cronenberg disc is basically the bonus disc from their huge Videodrome set, isn't it? Both Stereo and Crimes of the Future are already included as bonus films on Scanners and The Brood in the US (I think they're also on the Blu-ray for Fast Company, too), but I don't think those two shorts have been represented at all in any US-friendly release.

It is.

And this will probably be region B locked as well.

berzeli

Banned
thats hot af.

any word on the print they'll be using? the one Criterion used wasn't all that great.

I'd assume the same master as the one Shochiku is using for their blu-ray, unfortunately I have no idea how that one looks since it isn't out yet.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Chungking Amazon order cancelled automatically...dreams destroyed.

Ridley327

It looks like Woman in the Dunes contains all the extras of the Teshigahara box set beyond the visual essays made for the other two films, so it looks like that's not coming back in print any time soon.

berzeli

Banned
August titles! Alternately: So I Hear You Like Orson Welles...
Why I do like Orson Welles quite a bit thank you very much.

Interesting to see that A Taste of Honey got released by Criterion before someone like BFI. Extra interesting is that it was distributed by British Lion, I thought all of those titles were with Studiocanal (and by extension the US rights would be with the devil).

Draconian

Chimes at Midnight AND The Immortal Story?

OH YEEEEEEEAH!

The only thing that could possibly match this if you're a Welles fan would be Ambersons getting the red carpet treatment it deserves.

Ridley327

Why I do like Orson Welles quite a bit thank you very much.

Interesting to see that A Taste of Honey got released by Criterion before someone like BFI. Extra interesting is that it was distributed by British Lion, I thought all of those titles were with Studiocanal (and by extension the US rights would be with the devil).

I just read that it's apparently a part of the Westchester Films library in the US, so it's safe from harmful parties.

I mean, as long as Shout Factory stays as cool as they have been.

berzeli

Banned
BFI has had their lineup leaked (again). This is what has leaked so far:
Play On! Shakespeare In Silent Film - 18th July
Around China With A Movie Camera - 18th July (DVD only)
Akenfield - 25th July

Cry of the City - 22nd August
The Glass Shield - 22nd August
On the Black Hill - 22nd August (DVD only)

The Crying Game - 19th September
Carmen Jones - 19th September
Quay Brothers Collection - 19th September
Women in Love - 19th September
Psychomania - 19th September

Some covers leaked too:
I'm almost irrationally thrilled about Carmen Jones.

Scream Factory has announced that they are going to release John Carpenter's The Thing in a new collectors edition. I welcome this since the previous release has a little too much DNR for my liking, plus it was barebones and didn't feature any of extra's from the laserdisc or DVD.

Ridley327

Scream Factory has announced that they are going to release John Carpenter's The Thing in a new collectors edition. I welcome this since the previous release has a little too much DNR for my liking, plus it was barebones and didn't feature any of extra's from the laserdisc or DVD.
Damn, if the Universal partnership can get them that, then I can't imagine that it's anything other than a matter of time until they get their hands on An American Werewolf in London. Fantastic news in any event.

EDIT: Fangoria confirmed that it has a brand new 2K transfer, so hype is at ludicrous levels.

Ok then, I guess I'll just replace half of what I own with Scream Factory collector's versions.

No problem.

It'll all be fine.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Valley of the Dolls is thoroughly mediocre, but I suppose it is iconic regardless. At least its existence justifies the delightfully bizarre second movie - which hopefully comes along with this deal. Criterion should do a Sex and the City two-pack in a few decades.

Damn, if the Universal partnership can get them that, then I can't imagine that it's anything other than a matter of time until they get their hands on An American Werewolf in London. Fantastic news in any event.

EDIT: Fangoria confirmed that it has a brand new 2K transfer, so hype is at ludicrous levels.

I always figured that Universal would keep their bigger titles to themselves, the flood gates are opened now!

Ok then, I guess I'll just replace half of what I own with Scream Factory collector's versions.

No problem.

It'll all be fine.

Haha, no kidding.

Top Bottom