• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Referring to The Thing - I always thought the Universal blu transfer was weak, and held on to my DVDs for the extras. What a frigging win for one of the best movies ever made.

SeanC

The Thing is probably my favorite horror movie and Top 5 favorite movie of all time so a good edition is a must buy. I have the Mondo Steelbook, which is great packaging, but pretty sure it's the same "meh" transfer.

Edit: Just occurred to me this will make the fourth The Thing Blu Ray I've bought. Most I've done for one movie.

Ridley327

Zatoichi set is listed as OOP now, so if you want one, you better get it now.
I don't think Criterion has sold it themselves for a while. This is likely a sign that they're prepping a new package for it, but that's probably going to take a while with how much that would need to change.

SeanC

Damn, should have got the Zatoichi on the last 50% sale. Went for Cassavetes instead.

Still, though, I think they're all on Hulu and that suits me fine. Love the series but probably not enough to shell out hundreds on it.

berzeli

Banned
BFI finally officially revealed their lineup:
Women in Love
Akenfield
Psychomania
Masters of Venus (DVD only)
Play On! Shakespeare in Silent Film
Around China with a Movie Camera (DVD only)
On the Black Hill (DVD only)
Cry of the City
The Crying Game
Carmen Jones
Quay Brothers Collection
HJ9zo1R.jpg
WwMglnM.jpg
YDxgig9.jpg

Damn, should have got the Zatoichi on the last 50% sale. Went for Cassavetes instead.

Still, though, I think they're all on Hulu and that suits me fine. Love the series but probably not enough to shell out hundreds on it.

Yeah I'm kicking myself as well. But it's probably for the best because I haven't watched any yet lol. I'll hulu them as well.

amnesiac

Yeah I'm kicking myself as well. But it's probably for the best because I haven't watched any yet lol. I'll hulu them as well.

Some are speculating that they are just going to repackage them in non-dual format versions. Also, someone on another forum emailed Criterion a few months ago and they said they were reprinting them. Who knows.

Ridley327

So all that is coming in the $28 edition for Strangelove?

Yep, every copy is going to be like that. It isn't terribly different from how the packaging usually goes for Wes Anderson's films (the one for Moonrise Kingdom has an embarrassment of movie-related goods in it), but this obviously bears out more of an iconic status.

PSY・S;205871616 said:
Gonna grab it during the B&N sale. Still haven't seen it yet.
I mean, not to be derisive in the least but.... Do yourself a favor and find any way to view one of Kubrick's best, and one of (if not the) leading examples of black humor satire.

Like many other Kubrick films, it is legitimately perfect, timeless, and astonishing from first frame to last.

cj_iwakura

I mean, not to be derisive in the least but.... Do yourself a favor and find any way to view one of Kubrick's best, and one of (if not the) leading examples of black humor satire.

Like many other Kubrick films, it is legitimately perfect, timeless, and astonishing from first frame to last.

I'll be back before you can say...

BLAST OFF!

Mumei

Oh, what a lovely topic. I just started buying Blu-rays last month, and I have been pining after a number of Criterion releases. I can't wait for a sale. I can't afford [am too cheap to pay] some of these prices!

Mumei

SeanC

I used to, during the dark times. Borders. I bought Fear and Loathing for $40 and Brazil for $50(don't regret either).

You just gave me flashbacks and PTSD. So much money (over)spent at Borders when I was in college for even bare-bones Criterion discs. It was the only way to watch those movies. Before streaming. Before amazon and ordering online was really big. Man, we were all fools. Especially when it came to box sets.

XShagrath

I used to stock up during the deepdiscountdvd 20% off sales back in the day. At one point, I had every dvd released (with the exception of Salo) due mostly to those sales.

Now it's much better with numerous 50% off sales throughout the year. Couple that with the B&N Membership for an additional 10%, and (if you're lucky), a 15-20% off coupon and you're practically stealing these discs.

lol.gif
Deepdiscountdvd sales? Borders clearance? What kind of retirement ward is this?

I will say though, yeah, before the advent of Netflix, there was something uncanny and giddy to finding out what titles were being brought to us by the gods at Janus Films... It was unbelievable reading about Kurosawa in books and dreams and then one day owning a fucking copy of Rashomon in my own home.

SeanC

lol.gif
Deepdiscountdvd sales? Borders clearance? What kind of retirement ward is this?

I will say though, yeah, before the advent of Netflix, there was something uncanny and giddy to finding out what titles were being brought to us by the gods at Janus Films... It was unbelievable reading about Kurosawa in books and dreams and then one day owning a fucking copy of Rashomon in my own home.

In my day, we had to go to the campus library and watch a VHS copy of Bicycle Thieves in a booth in the back of the stacks. Uphill both ways. In five feet of snow.

cj_iwakura

You just gave me flashbacks and PTSD. So much money (over)spent at Borders when I was in college for even bare-bones Criterion discs. It was the only way to watch those movies. Before streaming. Before amazon and ordering online was really big. Man, we were all fools. Especially when it came to box sets.

Ask yourself if it was worth what you paid for it. I thought so at the time, so I have no regrets. These half off sales feel like a bargain to me, not regular price. I'd gladly play $30 for that Strangelove release. $15? Bonus.

Ridley327

Shout Factory's specs for their special edition of The Thing:

NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
•NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack
•NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
•Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
•NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney And More…
•NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
•NEW Behind The Chameleon – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman And Brian Wade And More…
•NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
•NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
•John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Matte Artist Albert Whitlock And More! (80 minutes – SD)
•Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
•Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (12 minutes – SD)
•Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING (1982 – 14 minutes – SD)
•Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Promotional Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes – SD)
•Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes – SD)
•Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes – SD)
•Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
•Teaser Trailer
•Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
•TV Spots
•Radio Spots
•Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
•And Still More To Be Added!

I cannot believe this isn't even the full set of special features. What an outstanding representation for the film in even its initial announcement.

berzeli

Banned
Shout Factory's specs for their special edition of The Thing:

I cannot believe this isn't even the full set of special features. What an outstanding representation for the film in even its initial announcement.
Sounds awesome.
The cover art though...
83c80ca353.png

83cda686e6.png

Top Bottom