• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Sounds awesome.
The cover art though...
83c80ca353.png

83cda686e6.png

Woof. Jeez why not use the poster art which is already perfect? Differentiate it from the current NA Thing Bluray by using the rad title font in the movie. This art is a mess.

Still obviously gonna get it tho for the AV upgrade and all them features.

SeanC

Art itself isn't too bad, but I would like a more dynamic looking title font at least - would help it pop.

I have this Steelbook which I kind of dig because it's so different, but I understand Shout wanting to be a little safer. The new scan and all the extras more than make up for it and at this point I just want a comprehensive disc(s) more than anything.

Ridley327

Woof. Jeez why not use the poster art which is already perfect? Differentiate it from the current NA Thing Bluray by using the rad title font in the movie. This art is a mess.

Still obviously gonna get it tho for the AV upgrade and all them features.

At least we have the reversible cover to look forward too. Finally, a Blu-ray cover for the film's poster that won't have the awful Universal swoosh banners.

You gotta admire Shout for being remarkably predictable and consistent with these covers. You'd think they'd pull a Criterion and give these genre classics some kind of beautiful fresh new take on the visuals, but they're always just like "NAH, LET'S SHOUT THIS BITCH UP." Every time.

But that original poster reversable cover safety net though. They know what they're doing.

Mumei

Oooh. That new edition of The Thing comes out on my birthday. <3

What a lovely excuse to preorder it for myself!

Edit: ... Darn. Not available. :(

Oooh. That new edition of The Thing comes out on my birthday. <3

What a lovely excuse to preorder it for myself!

Edit: ... Darn. Not available. :(

Where are you ordering from?

CE / Deluxe

You can order direct from them and get it 2 or 3 weeks early, respectively. Also comes with a poster, and the Deluxe has the 2nd slipcover and an additional poster.

Mumei

Where are you ordering from?

CE / Deluxe

You can order direct from them and get it 2 or 3 weeks early, respectively. Also comes with a poster, and the Deluxe has the 2nd slipcover and an additional poster.

I want the Deluxe. I click the Pre-Order button, and I am told that it has been added to my cart. I try to check out, and I am told "We are sorry, an item you requested is not currently available."

Which is probably attributable to:

"Special Offer Order from ShoutFactory.com and get TWO FREE SLIPCASES and TWO FREE POSTERS featuring both of our newly commissioned artwork (Limited to 1,500 units)! Also get it shipped THREE WEEKS EARLY!"

Ridley327

Screen Archives Entertainment is having a big sale on Twilight Time titles through July 1. Here's the full list with pricing (all titles are Blu-ray unless noted otherwise):

GROUP 1
Retail price point: $24.95

HARLOCK SPACE PIRATE

GROUP 2
Retail price point: $19.95

RAPTURE
ROOTS OF HEAVEN
SWAMP WATER
DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS
DESIREE
THE WAYWARD BUS
COVER GIRL
HIGH TIME
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR
BONJOUR TRISTESSE
BELOVED INFIDEL
LOST HORIZON
THE BLUE LAGOON
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA
PONY SOLDIER
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE
PHILADELPHIA
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN
LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE
THE DISAPPEARANCE
SEXY BEAST
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
ALAMO BAY
THE OTHER
MINDWARP
JANE EYRE
OLIVER
THE WAY WE WERE
ROYAL FLASH
ZULU
KHARTOUM
TITUS
MAN IN THE DARK 3-D
THE FRONT
THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY
CONRACK
ALL THE KING’S MEN
EQUUS
BROADWAY DANNY ROSE
MR HOBBS TAKES A VACATION
FATE IS THE HUNTER
TWO RODE TOGETHER
THE MECHANIC
HEAVEN KNOWS MR ALLISON
THE MAN FROM LARAMIE
BRANNIGAN
RADIO DAYS
VIOLENT SATURDAY
BORN YESTERDAY
RIFF RAFF / RAINING STONES
FOLLOW THAT DREAM
THE SECRET OF SANTA VITTORIA
MAN HUNT
THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY
CHE!
THE KILLER ELITE
THE DOGS OF WAR
LA BAMBA
SALVADOR
THE VANISHING
THE BELIEVERS
UNDER FIRE
AUDREY ROSE
FLAMING STAR
WHEN THE WIND BLOWS
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI
FUNNY LADY
THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE
THE FORTUNE
INHERIT THE WIND
HEAVEN AND EARTH
TO SIR, WITH LOVE
ST. VALENTINE’S DAY MASSACRE
LOVE AND DEATH
LENNY
BREAKING AWAY
THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO
THE BRIDE WORE BLACK
YENTL
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG
THE BEST OF EVERYTHING
THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT
THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS
THE YOUNG LIONS
STATE OF GRACE
THE NIGHT OF THE GENERALS
MISSISSIPPI MERMAID
MISSISSIPPI BURNING
ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS
A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS
HOMBRE
AMERICAN BUFFALO
ZARDOZ
APRIL LOVE
THE REMAINS OF THE DAY
RICHARD III
THE FANTASTICKS
THE STORY OF ADELE H.
U TURN
FIRST MEN IN THE MOON
SOLOMON AND SHEBA
THE BOUNTY
STORMY WEATHER
KINGS GO FORTH
THE DETECTIVE
BORN FREE
SHADOWS AND FOG
SENSE AND SENSIBILITY
SCORPIO
BROKEN LANCE
JOHN CARPENTER’S VAMPIRES
STRANGE INVADERS
SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN
DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS
COUNT YORGA, VAMPIRE
BLACK WIDOW
10 TO MIDNIGHT
FAT CITY
EMPEROR OF THE NORTH
AT CLOSE RANGE
SUMMER LOVERS
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S SEX COMEDY
THE LITTLE HOUSE (CHIISAI OUCHI)
HOUSE OF BAMBOO
GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER
PLACES IN THE HEART
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (ENCORE EDITION)
NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR
BOUND FOR GLORY
FROM THE TERRACE
THE HAPPY ENDING
HAWAII
THE LAST DETAIL
THE BIG HEAT (ENCORE EDITION)
COWBOY
THE HAWAIIANS
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF / SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER
WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
ANASTASIA
EXODUS
LILIES OF THE FIELD
10 RILLINGTON PLACE
PAL JOEY
BITE THE BULLET
IN LIKE FLINT
MAJOR DUNDEE
CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO / THUNDERBIRD 6

GROUP 3
Retail price point: $14.95

FEVER PITCH
RITA SUE, AND BOB TOO
THE FIRM
RESURRECTED
SAVE YOUR LEGS!
BANDIT QUEEN
A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY
CARLA’S SONG
FATHERLAND (AKA SINGING THE BLUES IN RED)
ANGEL (AKA DANNY BOY)
LA BAMBOLA DI SATANA (THE DOLL OF SATAN)

GROUP 4 (DVD)
Retail price point: $9.95

THE KREMLIN LETTER
VIOLENT SATURDAY
WOMAN OBSESSED

Definitely a nice way to start getting into Woody Allen!

And just in case anyone was wondering what was low quantity:

5) LOW QUANTITY UPDATE (current as of May 21, 2016)

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON - around 200 units remaining (out of 5,000)
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE - fewer than 300 remaining
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR - fewer than 300 remaining
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO/THUNDERBIRD 6 - fewer than 350 remaining
IN LIKE FLINT - fewer than 400 remaining
THE BLUE LAGOON - fewer than 400 remaining
JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG - fewer than 500 remaining
CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS - fewer than 500 remaining
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (reissue) - fewer than 1,000 units remaining
ZARDOZ - fewer than 1,200 units remaining (out of 5,000)
John Carpenter's VAMPIRES - fewer than 1,500 remaining (out of 5,000)

Ridley327

Considering what goes down in the film, the cover for Slugs might actually be underselling it. Nice that they used the slime-trail version of the title, too.

I'm in for The Hills Have Eyes, that's a pretty good "get" for Arrow US.

I know next to nothing about either Slugs or Dead End Drive In. The artwork looks great though, are the films any count?

Ridley327

I'm in for The Hills Have Eyes, that's a pretty good "get" for Arrow US.

I know next to nothing about either Slugs or Dead End Drive In. The artwork looks great though, are the films any count?

Slugs is one of those good bad films that gets a lot of help from being so outrageously gross and disgusting in an over-the-top way. There's one death scene in particular that needs to be seen to be believed.

Doug Jones has confirmed that he recorded a new interview for a Criterion edition of Pan's Labyrinth. Yay!

Slugs is one of those good bad films that gets a lot of help from being so outrageously gross and disgusting in an over-the-top way. There's one death scene in particular that needs to be seen to be believed.

That sounds awesome.

Ridley327

It seems like it has an entirely different set of special features, which should be appealing to anyone that can't get enough of that film. Might be the same transfer from the same restoration, though? I'd think they would mention otherwise if it was newer.

Ridley327

I don't think everything is up just yet, but we can expect Criterion to announce Cat People, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums, Blood Simple, a twofer of The Valley of the Dolls and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and the long-anticipated boxset of the Decalogue films.

Oh fuck, I was just about to order the Netflix dvds of The Decalogue since it seems like the only (cheap) way to get them. Very excited if true.

SeanC

It's not being advertised right now, but B&N is having 40% off Criterions it looks like.

Plus Code BNJUNE16 takes another 20% off.

Plus if you're a member I think that's an additional 10%?

Edit: 20% code seems to override the 10% membership discount, or maybe that doesn't apply. You do get free shipping though.

Ridley327

It's not being advertised right now, but B&N is having 40% off Criterions it looks like.

Plus Code BNJUNE16 takes another 20% off.

Plus if you're a member I think that's an additional 10%?

Edit: 20% code seems to override the 10% membership discount, or maybe that doesn't apply. You do get free shipping though.

Online doesn't get the extra 10% anymore. It's just free shipping.

Ridley327

I believe that ends up making it all cheaper than the 50% off sale.

From what I just attempted to do, it doesn't look like that the promo code works with Criterion titles. They must be exempt for what will be obvious reasons in a couple of weeks.

THAT BEING SAID, I had some direct mailing coupons for 20% off, so I wound up doing two separate orders for The Player and The Manchurian Candidate.

SeanC

From what I just attempted to do, it doesn't look like that the promo code works with Criterion titles. They must be exempt for what will be obvious reasons in a couple of weeks.

THAT BEING SAID, I had some direct mailing coupons for 20% off, so I wound up doing two separate orders for The Player and The Manchurian Candidate.

The code worked for me. Is it maybe selective on the titles? Got about 40 bucks off with that code. (order has to be over $50)

Wasn't aware of the 10%. That blows.

Ridley327

The code worked for me. Is it maybe selective on the titles? Got about 40 bucks off with that code. (order has to be over $50)

Wasn't aware of the 10%. That blows.

Oh, the $50 limit explains it.

Yeah, they took it out a few years ago. It sucks a bit more for me than it would most people since the closest B&N is a smaller store without a media section, so no Criterion movies of any kind.

SeanC

I'll have to remember to stop by B&N when the next sale is to take advantage of the additional 10% then.

For this round I picked up Sanjuro/Yojimbo, Paths of Glory, Day for Night and Ministry of Fear (which was already really cheap).

Was going to get Apu Trilogy but passed last minute. Wanted to keep it below $100.

Steamlord

Went ahead and grabbed Safe and 3 Women (plus The Others for five bucks to push it over $50). I've been wanting to get those for a while so I'm satisfied.

Ridley327

Wow, they were damn quick with that Zatoichi re-issue.

If this is the stuff we're getting for the summer months, what awaits in the fall?!?

SeanC

I didn't realize Night Train to Munich was one of the releases too. I love anything Carol Reed and I don't think I've seen that one.

Shit, more must-buys.

Blader

Damn, I thought for sure Boyhood was going to be next... Criterion put up phantom pages for it already.

Dekalog looks sweet though.

Top Bottom