• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Probably gonna cop 3 or 4 for this online sale and save Strangelove and New World for the 50% off sale.

Is Sweet Smell of Success worth a blind buy?

Fjordson

Not too eager to get anything at the moment. Think I'll wait for the 50% off and grab New World and Strangelove.

Probably gonna cop 3 or 4 for this online sale and save Strangelove and New World for the 50% off sale.

Is Sweet Smell of Success worth a blind buy?
I think so. Great noir.

Word, got Sweet Smell of Success as my blind buy, and then went with Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, and Don't Look Now, all of which I knew I needed to own pretty much immediately after watching them.

gamz

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

https://www.criterion.com/films/28120-beyond-the-valley-of-the-dolls?q=autocomplete

836_BD_box_348x490_w128.jpg

Ridley327

Not sure if this is news or not, but there's a rumor that criterion is working on a version of Pan's Labyrinth.

It's not much of a rumor anymore:

f4d8a6bf09.png

If I had to guess, this will be one of their big fall titles. A long time coming, since WB hit the current Blu-ray hard with the DNR.

Ridley327

Word around town is that Stephen Lack sat down for a new interview about Dead Ringers, but in a surprising twist, it looks like Shout Factory will be the ones putting it out. We'll probably know more at Comic Con, since Shout likes to make a lot of big announcements there.

IronRinn

Copy of Fantastic Planet came in. Pretty barebones packaging-wise and I'm not a big fan of these folded up posters they do with an essay on the back but whatever, it's Fantastic Planet so I'm happy. Fancy packaging comes next week with Dr. Strangelove.

Fjordson

Copy of Fantastic Planet came in. Pretty barebones packaging-wise and I'm not a big fan of these folded up posters they do with an essay on the back but whatever, it's Fantastic Planet so I'm happy. Fancy packaging comes next week with Dr. Strangelove.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the foldout posters. Wish they went back to booklets, but I'm guessing the foldouts are cheaper to make or something.

berzeli

Banned
Surprise Arrow Academy title! (UK Only)
Um. Was not expecting this one at all. Neat.
edit:
With these six films, Woody Allen made one of the most remarkable transitions ever seen in American cinema, from the slapstick buffoonery of the “early, funny films” to the Oscar-winning breakthrough of Annie Hall and the wholly serious Interiors.

Along the way there’s the Latin American revolutionary satire Bananas, genre-bending sex-education spoof Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex and hilarious time-travelling trips to a future America (Sleeper) and Napoleon-era Russia (Love and Death). All these early films star Allen himself, usually as a hapless victim of unfortunate events, aided by the likes of Diane Keaton (several times), John Carradine, Jessica Harper, Louise Lasser, Lynn Redgrave, Burt Reynolds, Gene Wilder and Daisy the sheep.

But the the mature Woody Allen was first revealed in Annie Hall, a film firmly of its time and place (mid-1970s Manhattan) but also universal in its wry and witty examination of the foibles of human relationships. The claustrophobically Bergmanesque family drama Interiors once seemed like a startling change of direction, but now anticipates much of what came later.

Collection includes:
Bananas (1971)
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex *But Were Afraid to Ask (1972)
Sleeper (1973)
Love and Death (1975)
Annie Hall (1977)
Interiors (1978)

Exclusive to this collection: Annie Hall and a 100-page hardback book featuring new and archive writing on all the films by Woody Allen, Michael Brooke, Johnny Mains, Kat Ellinger, John Leman Riley, Hannah Hamad and Brad Stevens.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Not a fan of GDT or Pan, but hopefully they'll get some extra sales for Spirit of the Beehive and Cria Cuervos out of this release, considering how heavily del Toro borrows from those two.

berzeli

Banned
Anywhere I can find the full list of available UK releases?
I'm assuming you mean Criterions?
Speedy (1928)
Grey Gardens (1975)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Macbeth (1971)
Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
Tootsie (1982)
In a Lonely Place (1950)
L'Avventura (1960)
Easy Rider (1969)
Overlord (1975)
Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
Gilda (1946)
Burroughs: The Movie (1983)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned How to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
The In-Laws (1979) | Forthcoming August
Dont Look Back (1967) | Forthcoming August
The Samurai Trilogy (1954-1956) | Forthcoming September
Cat People (1942) | Forthcoming September
I'm guessing arrow isn't region free?

Most of their stuff isn't, I think this is the best available list of all US friendly releases. There might be one or two which isn't on that list

overcast

Almost here. B&N sale is going to be 7/5-8/1.

Strangelove, Carnival of Souls, Sils Maria, Fantastic Planet, and The New World will all be available at points throughout the sale.

Whew.

I already snagged Mulholland Drive, Don't Look Now, Eraserhead, and Sweet Smell of Success at the 60% of b&n online sale a few weeks ago, but I'll probably get a few more in store.

The New World and Dr. Strangelove are a must, and maybe I'll get one more. Perhaps Badlands or Ikiru.

SeanC

Looking forward to the BN sale. Will probably go in store a couple of times over that period to get that extra member's discount, plus I have some coupons burning a hole in my pocket that'll knock an extra $20 off the final price.

Strangelove for sure, I'll see what else jumps out at me when I'm there and what they have in stock. I wouldn't mind double-dipping on Solaris and Jules and Jim and upgrading from DVD. Maybe the Tati collection.

XShagrath

I'm gonna get quite a few during the BN sale as well. I've got $145 in GCs, and I should be able to get a number of 15-20% off coupons to help out as well.

New 4K scan courtesy of Scream/Shout! Factory.

I really like that cover actually. There's also a limited edition slip like the past few releases.

SeanC

I'm gonna get quite a few during the BN sale as well. I've got $145 in GCs, and I should be able to get a number of 15-20% off coupons to help out as well.

Oh yeah, if anyone knows of additional %-off coupons that are usable on this sale that would be nice.

Are pre-orders that release during the B&N sale usually discounted as well, or will I just have to jump on them at release? Because newer titles often go out of stock during these sales.

Ridley327

Are pre-orders that release during the B&N sale usually discounted as well, or will I just have to jump on them at release? Because newer titles often go out of stock during these sales.

Just the ones coming out in July. I'm pretty sure the sale ends the day before any of the August releases even come out.

Anyway, I would definitely pull the trigger on the likes of Dr. Strangelove and the July releases ASAP.

A 4k transfer and restoration of Suspiria?

catohmyi.gif

Dark gods please let me see!

The link PSY posted has got a few screen caps. It looks fantastic, and it's probably my most anticipated future Blu-ray release. I had only seen Suspiria once and that was on an old dvd transfer, I assume watching the Blu-ray will have the same effect that the Jaws Blu-ray did.

Ran rp

5w donmayjr Sometimes working on colorful movies makes a darkened room seem like a disco. Colors everywhere.

5w donmayjr Watch out, Suzy! Mother Suspiriorum will find you... If she doesn't kill ME first. #suspiria4Knervousbreakdownemminent

3w donmayjr A raw DPX film frame from SUSPIRIA. Oh, what a lovely tear in the original negative. We have a LOT of work to do. Yay!

2w donmayjr OK, who is the asshole that handled the negative to SUSPIRIA and put their oily fingerprints all over it? I'm going to send Liam Neeson after you. Can the FBI I.D. this person with a pic of a good print? I have thousands of them to input into the fingerprint database. Grrrrrrrr...

from

edit: and from the earlier link.

Steamlord

It's so red...instead of pink and orange and shit. Gonna be so good.

Anyway, I can't wait to pick up Carnival of Souls. It, along with Nosferatu and Night of the Living Dead, pretty much informed my taste in horror growing up, and yet I've only seen a shitty DVD transfer of it that came in a collection of public domain horror films. The finale is going to look incredible.

And speaking of NotLD, I wonder how Scorsese's restoration is coming along?

Top Bottom