• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Fjordson

Wanted to spend a lot, but I've spent a lot recently on non-Criterion blu-rays so stuck with Dr. Strangelove and Touch of Zen.

Quite excited for Touch of Zen. Never seen it before.

Very nice! You'll definitely have some scarring as a result of the Cronenberg films. Even Naked Lunch, which isn't a horror film by any traditional barometer, has some truly horrifying imagery in it.

Thus far, I've ordered Phoenix, Dr. Strangelove, Fantastic Planet and In a Lonely Place for immediate shipping, and put in a separate order for my July must-haves (Carnival of Souls, A Touch of Zen and The New World) for later delivery.

I recently grabbed Arrow's release of Shivers as well, so I'm all set for an overdose of Cronenberg. I was also going to go ahead and buy Carnival of Souls, but I'm making myself wait for the next sale. I've done enough damage to my wallet for now.

omgkitty

Round 1:

Fantastic Planet
Only Angels Have Wings
Close-up
Kennedy Films Of Robert Drew
Day in the Country
Clouds of Sils Maria
Speedy
In a Lonely Place
The Manchurian Candidate
The In-Laws
Heaven's Gate

Already picked up Dr. Strangelove last week from Amazon after getting the $10 credit for the ZTD debacle. A couple weeks ago I picked up these during the 40% off sale:

La chienne
Le amiche
Safe
The Long Day Closes
Wim Wenders Road Trilogy
Player
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Phoenix

SeanC

Shout/Scream Factory is really killing it this year. Between Carrie and Buckaroo Bonzai and Bill and Ted and The Thing, now we get the fantastic Exorcist III.

Will include the Director's Cut, never before seen.

product_images_modal_Exorcist3Cover72dpi__7Bf48352a6-aeff-45aa-98ce-91973f592927_7D.png

Ridley327

Shout/Scream Factory is really killing it this year. Between Carrie and Buckaroo Bonzai and Bill and Ted and The Thing, now we get the fantastic Exorcist III.

Will include the Director's Cut, never before seen.

product_images_modal_Exorcist3Cover72dpi__7Bf48352a6-aeff-45aa-98ce-91973f592927_7D.png

They are making full use of their Morgan Creek licensing and I like it. Can't wait to see what they do for Dead Ringers!

Why does the shout/scream factory make such ugly covers for their movies, and always in the same style? I mean, at least they tend to include the OG artwork on the reverse, but still.

Fjordson

Round 1:

Fantastic Planet
Only Angels Have Wings
Close-up
Kennedy Films Of Robert Drew
Day in the Country
Clouds of Sils Maria
Speedy
In a Lonely Place
The Manchurian Candidate
The In-Laws
Heaven's Gate

Already picked up Dr. Strangelove last week from Amazon after getting the $10 credit for the ZTD debacle. A couple weeks ago I picked up these during the 40% off sale:

La chienne
Le amiche
Safe
The Long Day Closes
Wim Wenders Road Trilogy
Player
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Phoenix
Shit, I forgot about Cloud of Sils Maria. Maybe I'll pick that up in-store.

Ran rp

I think I'm going to take this opportunity to go for the Belladonna of Sadness book/blu-ray set. I have plenty of films to watch until then so the wait is no biggie.

Edit: Damn, Yi Yi's already sold out.

Looks like the director's cut of The Exorcist 3 is sourced from film and video. They stated that they are working off of the original Blatty script, hopefully it comes out decent. Either way, I applaud Shout! for doing what they can.

Mumei

My current cart:

Three Colors: Blue White Red
Rashomon
Godzilla
Y Tu Mama Tambien
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Dr. Strangelove
Apu Trilogy
Fantastic Planet
Seven Samurai

What is one more that I should add? I only own 12 Angry Men and The Devil's Backbone. I'm kind of leaning something more modern (say, last 15 years). Any suggestions?

berzeli

Banned
What is one more that I should add? I only own 12 Angry Men and The Devil's Backbone. I'm kind of leaning something more modern (say, last 15 years). Any suggestions?
In no particular order:
Code Unknown
I consider Michael Haneke to be the one of the, if not the finest director working today. However, I will concede that Code Unknown may not be the ideal starting point (despite being one of his best works).
Two Days, One Night
Continuing on the bleak European cinema front, the Dardenne brothers delivers a scorching take on working conditions and the social climate of today. Cotillard is absolutely terrific in the main role.
Hunger
Steve McQueen is an extraordinary talent and his debut feature is a terrific work of art.
Gomorrah
This one gets a slightly weak recommendation from me, it still is a terrific, untypical take on the mafia film. But I'm not sure I'd call it essential.
Inside Llewyn Davis
It's my favourite Coen brothers film. (I do understand that I may be a minority opinion on that front.)
Mulholland Drive
There is nothing I can say about this film that haven't been said by at least three other people (and at least two of them will probably have expressed it better than I can). Essential cinema.
Everlasting Moments
Well, I would be amiss to not pimp something from my home country (especially since with the way the current political climate is going, I should fulfill my patriotism quota). Luckily for me, Troell has created a beautiful film and one that would be on this list even if it wasn't Swedish.
Still Walking
It's really hard to not make the obvious Yasujiro Ozu comparisons, but Kore-eda is an immense talent in his own right and this might be his best work.
Le Havre
This is an odd but really charming little film, and I enjoyed it immensely. The Criterion website put it well with "A political fairy tale that exists somewhere between the reality of contemporary France and the classic French cinema of the past".

In the Mood for love, for sure
I'm not sure about the "for sure", but I'll still second the recommendation.

IronRinn

So I have kind of a broad question that may be too broad or just something that can't be answered by anyone who isn't with Criterion: Is there anything out now that might be in danger of going out of print soon? I just don't want another situation like with The Man Who Fell to Earth where I'll never be able to upgrade my DVD copy to Blu-ray without spending a $200+.

XShagrath

So I have kind of a broad question that may be too broad or just something that can't be answered by anyone who isn't with Criterion: Is there anything out now that might be in danger of going out of print soon? I just don't want another situation like with The Man Who Fell to Earth where I'll never be able to upgrade my DVD copy to Blu-ray without spending a $200+.
Unfortunately, there's not any real way to gauge what's going to go out of print. Your best bet is to keep an eye on this thread and other places such as reddit. Usually once something goes OOP, someone will post something about it, and you can snatch things up pretty quick. That's how I picked up all titles before (or right after) they went out of production, with the exception of The Third Man. I had to pay about $90 on eBay for that one.

berzeli

Banned

Criterionforum's OOP thread is a nice little thing.

But speaking of The Man Who Fell to Earth:
The Man Who Fell to Earth 40th anniversary 4K restoration
3QhSSYY.jpg

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Nicolas Roeg’s iconic movie, The Man Who Fell To Earth, we’re delighted to announce that the film will return to UK cinemas in 4K this September.
STUDIOCANAL has announced that they are near to completing a new 4k restoration of the cult classic. The restoration has been in the works since late 2015 and it will be released in cinemas nationwide in the UK on 9th September by Park Circus, opening at BFI Southbank and cinemas nationwide.
The Man Who Fell To Earth will also be released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK on 10th October by STUDIOCANAL and is part of the ‘Vintage Classics collection’ – showcasing iconic British films, all fully restored and featuring brand new extra content.
Restored by Deluxe London, the restoration of The Man Who Fell To Earth is based on a 4K scan of the original camera negative, followed by a full 4K workflow, with the approval of cinematographer Anthony Richmond and with the blessing of Nic Roeg.
Oh, and to appease Fancy Clown:
Full details of the DVD/BD release, including a special Collector’s Edition, will follow shortly.
The film will also be released in the US and Germany, stay tuned for more information.
edit: Shit, I just realised this might mean a theatrical release via Rialto (as with Ran), and does not guarantee a disc release in the US since I guess Satan holds those rights

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
My first, and probably only round, this time around, with the Criterion blu collection now at 46 SKUs...

5gtjCR4.png

Thanks B&N!

cj_iwakura

My current cart:

Three Colors: Blue White Red
Rashomon
Godzilla
Y Tu Mama Tambien
La Jetee/Sans Soleil
Dr. Strangelove
Apu Trilogy
Fantastic Planet
Seven Samurai

Do The Right Thing is Spike Lee at his best.

IronRinn

Unfortunately, there's not any real way to gauge what's going to go out of print. Your best bet is to keep an eye on this thread and other places such as reddit. Usually once something goes OOP, someone will post something about it, and you can snatch things up pretty quick. That's how I picked up all titles before (or right after) they went out of production, with the exception of The Third Man. I had to pay about $90 on eBay for that one.

Criterionforum's OOP thread is a nice little thing.

But speaking of The Man Who Fell to Earth:
The Man Who Fell to Earth 40th anniversary 4K restoration
3QhSSYY.jpg

edit: Shit, I just realised this might mean a theatrical release via Rialto (as with Ran), and does not guarantee a disc release in the US since I guess Satan holds those rights
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I hope the 40th anniversary means it will be available in some form in the US again. (Edit: Duh, just saw the quote) I love my Criterion edition DVD, especially because they included the novel with it, which I thought was a fantastic touch.

Hmmm that BN coupon isn't working for me. It only works if I push the order over $100 which I don't want to do. I know New World doesn't count since its a preorder, but even if I get 3 other movies to make that over $60 the coupon doesn't work.

>:[

SeanC

Wow, Strangelove is out of stock online.

Guess I'm stopping by this weekend to pick it up in-store. They always have a bunch of new release Criterions and I do got member coupons just sitting here I need to use.

Meanwhile I went with:

Blind Buy/Never Seen the movie:
The In-Laws

First-Time Purchasing:
The Player
The Manchurian Candidate
The New World (Pre-Order)

Upgrades from DVD:
Solaris
Paths of Glory
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Day for Night

Wrapping it up with Strangelove and Apu this weekend in-store but I think I'll be done after that. Got Comic-Con coming up. I might buy something after if I don't buy a lot of stuff there.

Side Note: I am super-excited for the new Man Who Fell to Earth. It's really one of my favorite films and Roeg one of my favorite directors. The only downside would be the loss of the Criterion commentary track, arguably one of the best commentary tracks for a movie ever if anything because long-form David Bowie conversation is a rarity and probably why the disc is so sought-after.

berzeli

Banned
I hope the 40th anniversary means it will be available in some form in the US again. (Edit: Duh, just saw the quote) I love my Criterion edition DVD, especially because they included the novel with it, which I thought was a fantastic touch.

I did not do that on purpose I swear! I thought it said that it was getting a disc release but then realised the wording was more vague than that.
The test for whether or not this even stand a chance of getting released on disc in the US is if the new 4K restoration of Highlander gets released over there. I would have thought it was a surefire thing, but since they didn't realise the new Ran I genuinely have no idea what is going to happen.

Ridley327

PSY・S;209378992 said:
Isn't that DVD only and OOP?

Edit: not OOP.

It is DVD-only, but I believe it's the only way to get the film with its original color timing intact. Universal, in their typical ploy for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, decided to mess around with it and it looks a lot cleaner than it should.

IronRinn

I did not do that on purpose I swear! I thought it said that it was getting a disc release but then realised the wording was more vague than that.
The test for whether or not this even stand a chance of getting released on disc in the US is if the new 4K restoration of Highlander gets released over there. I would have thought it was a surefire thing, but since they didn't realise the new Ran I genuinely have no idea what is going to happen.
My reading comprehension is way off today, apparently, and re-reading your edit, I would like to echo Fancy Clown's reaction. Back to crossing my fingers that we get it at some point.

SeanC

Yeah, it's a little hard to know, plus you don't know what OOP titles will skyrocket and what won't and sometimes there's a huge disparity (Like The Grand Illusion, you can look on Ebay right now and see $30 new copies and $130 new copies). There's no price guide or anything and OOP pretty much becomes an unregulated collectors market driven by the sellers and re-sellers.

Just stick around here and I'm sure posters will tell you, that's why I lurked here for years before I actually became a member. Best way to follow that stuff.

Fjordson

PSY・S;209347546 said:
I think I'm going to take this opportunity to go for the Belladonna of Sadness book/blu-ray set. I have plenty of films to watch until then so the wait is no biggie.

Edit: Damn, Yi Yi's already sold out.
I have this coming from Amazon next week. I don't even know much about it tbh, but the animation looks beautiful.

IronRinn

Damage done:

Royal Tenenbaums (Replaces DVD copy)
Devil's Backbone
Videodrome (Replaces DVD copy)
Night of the Hunter
Yojimbo & Sanjuro: Two Films by Akira Kurosawa
Paths of Glory (Replaces DVD copy)
La Haine
Tokyo Drifter

So far behind on Criterion stuff. Could have easily spent 10x that much. Oh well, there's always next sale!

omgkitty

Damage done:

Royal Tenenbaums (Replaces DVD copy)
Devil's Backbone
Videodrome (Replaces DVD copy)
Night of the Hunter
Yojimbo & Sanjuro: Two Films by Akira Kurosawa
Paths of Glory (Replaces DVD copy)
La Haine
Tokyo Drifter

So far behind on Criterion stuff. Could have easily spent 10x that much. Oh well, there's always next sale!

Slacker ;)

Ran rp

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/promos/bn-promo.jsp?cid=5800002

Get 25% Off $100 or more†
†NOOK devices, NOOK Books, All LEGO® items in the Toys & Games Department & Gift Cards Excluded
Expires: 07/17/2016
Online Coupon BNSPARKLER Details:

This coupon can be redeemed online at BN.com and is valid only once per customer, per billing address.

This coupon is valid from July 12, 2016 at 12:01am to July 18, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time.

This coupon entitles you to 25% off your order of $100 or more, while supplies last. The discount will be deducted after all other eligible discounts are applied.

The 20% code already worked for me, even with a pre-order (Belladonna) but if Strangelove comes back in stock and everything else I ordered remains in stock I'll cancel the previous order and go for this. Luckily BN won't ship my order until the release of Belladonna so I won't be charged until then.

What I got with the current code:

Dr. Strangelove
Picnic at Hanging Rock
George Washington
Belladonna of Sadness
Chi-Raq

All were blind buys. Excited!

Bought a bunch of stuff for $17 each including tax (used the 20% code before I knew of the 25%). A local B&N is holding Dr. Strangelove for me but of course that will be $20 plus tax.

Got the coupon to work finally. Final haul for the sale including the one that was a week before is:

Eraserhead
Mulholland Dr.
Don't Look Now
Sweet Smell of Success
The New World
Dr. Strangelove
Paths of Glory
Brazil
Cul-De-Sac

Spent wayyy more than I should have, but eh. So it goes.

Now worries man, I'm just giving you a hard time. I loved Don't Look Now, but was so-so on Walkabout, so Roeg is a watch before I buy director and I haven't seen this one yet.

Mumei

PSY・S;209399436 said:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/promos/bn-promo.jsp?cid=5800002

The 20% code already worked for me, even with a pre-order (Belladonna) but if Strangelove comes back in stock and everything else I ordered remains in stock I'll cancel the previous order and go for this. Luckily BN won't ship my order until the release of Belladonna so I won't be charged until then.

What I got with the current code:

Dr. Strangelove
Picnic at Hanging Rock
George Washington
Belladonna of Sadness
Chi-Raq

All were blind buys. Excited!

25% off? Now I have to delay my purchase again! >_<

Apparently, Scream Factory has made a pact with Criterion to ensure that I'll never be able to save money again.

This, Carrie, and The Exorcist 3 all release in October.

Edit: On second thought, a new 2K scan is wonderful and all, but the only new extra I'm seeing is a commentary from director Tom Holland. I'm not sure that is going to be enough to get me to upgrade from the previously released Chucky boxset. Hopefully more extra's get added, I would love to have a good retrospective/documentary.

berzeli

Banned
Does anyone know if there is a comprehensive list of all UK Criterion releases somewhere?
Speedy (1928)
Grey Gardens (1975)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Macbeth (1971)
Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
Tootsie (1982)
In a Lonely Place (1950)
L'Avventura (1960)
Easy Rider (1969)
Overlord (1975)
Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
Gilda (1946)
Burroughs: The Movie (1983)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned How to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
The In-Laws (1979) | Forthcoming August
Dont Look Back (1967) | Forthcoming August
The Samurai Trilogy (1954-1956) | Forthcoming September
Cat People (1942) | Forthcoming September

Adding to that, the blu-ray.com forum thread on Criterion UK

Guzim

I bought a bunch of Chaplin blu-rays last night.

The Kid
Modern Times
The Gold Rush
The Great Dictator
City Lights
Monsieur Verdoux

The 25% off $100 purchase can stack on top of the 50% off at Barnes & Noble?

If true, that's fucking nuts and I'm about to get me some blu-rays. Where do I even begin...

Just wish Criterion would get around to releaseing some Weersethakul.

cj_iwakura

Stranger Than Paradise was great, a non-Ghost Dog Jarmusch that I loved(though I haven't seen many others, just Down By Law).

P_original.jpg

Stripped down character study about wanderlust, happenstance, and what Florida is really like.

Top Bottom