• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Picked up:

Blind Chance
City Lights
Autumn Afternoon
Fisher King
Tokyo Story
La Jetée/Sans Soleil

I'll try and do another, smaller purchase by the end of the month with hopefully Strangelove and The New World.

Mumei

In the Mood for Love and Strangelove (again) both out of stock. Hopefully they'll be available again by Tuesday when the 25% off coupon is working!

berzeli

Banned

cj_iwakura

Mulholland Drive is a risky blind buy. I say go for it though if you've seen and liked any other Lynch stuff.

I'm 50/50. Eraserhead really freaked me out, and not in a good way.

Also, for any fellow Strangelove double dippers: two of the documentaries are also on the Sony 'special edition' DVD; The Art of Strangelove and the documentary.

The new supplement is good stuff, though. I think one feature is NOT on the Criterion: the split screen interview with Sellers and Scott.
(I stand corrected, I think it has that too!)

The radio interview with Kubrick has images of the screenplay, which I loved seeing. Clearly cut content.

omgkitty

If you have a Region B capable player;
Network has a sale on and thanks to the British people's stupidity the pound has crashed so it is cheaper than ever.
There are some stellar films in there (Vintage Hitchcock, Black Narcissus, Ipcress File, Man With the Golden Arm, Odd Man Out, The Prisoner). Some of which can be had for next to nothing (Black Narcissus for 3.82£* is a goddamn steal), and the releases are mostly great in terms of AQ/PQ/extras.

*If you're outside of the UK

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up The Prisoner, which I owned the US version of and sold because it sells for $200 used now and I wanted the money, and Animal Farm and the Halas & Batchelor set.

Ran rp

Luckily everything from my previous order is in stock. I think I'm going to add Y Tu Mama Tambien, All That Jazz, and Being John Malkovich. All blind buys.

cj_iwakura

PSY・S;209739132 said:
Luckily everything from my previous order is in stock. I think I'm going to add Y Tu Mama Tambien, All That Jazz, and Being John Malkovich. All blind buys.

BJM is... certainly an experience.

Ran rp

Hmm.. Now I'm not sure if I should go for the Tati set or not.

Edit: Okay, final order:

Being John Malkovich
Belladonna of Sadness
Chi-Raq
Dr. Strangelove
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Y Tu Mama Tambien

Mumei

I am beginning to wonder if perhaps I shouldn't just order what is in my cart now and hope that the items I want that are not currently available (Seven Samurai, in particular) will be in stock later.

I am afraid that if I wait, something else I want might go out of stock, too. Decisions, decisions.

Blader

I'm definitely buying Strangelove, but I'm torn between Paths of Glory and On the Waterfront for a second pick. I've grown to really like the latter but I just watched it recently, although the Criterion edition looks like it has a ton of great extras. Paths of Glory I haven't seen in years, but I remember liking it. For anyone who owns it, how are the extras on Paths?

OK I caved in despite my beef with B&N.

Tried to mix-up sure shots with discoveries:

A brighter summer day
To be or not to be
Sword of doom
Carnival of souls
Hausu
Down by law

If you have a Region B capable player;
Network has a sale on and thanks to the British people's stupidity the pound has crashed so it is cheaper than ever.
There are some stellar films in there (Vintage Hitchcock, Black Narcissus, Ipcress File, Man With the Golden Arm, Odd Man Out, The Prisoner). Some of which can be had for next to nothing (Black Narcissus for 3.82£* is a goddamn steal), and the releases are mostly great in terms of AQ/PQ/extras.

*If you're outside of the UK

Aw. Too bad I recently picked up half a dozen Network discs. Everybody should pick up The Medusa touch. Criminally underrated thriller.

omgkitty

If anyone preordered Belladonna of Sadness from Amazon, the price on it dropped over $15 today. I would hit up the customer service chat and ask for a partial refund. Kinda bullshit for them to drop it after the preorder period ended, but they gave me a refund.

Fjordson

If anyone preordered Belladonna of Sadness from Amazon, the price on it dropped over $15 today. I would hit up the customer service chat and ask for a partial refund. Kinda bullshit for them to drop it after the preorder period ended, but the gave me a refund.
Yo wtf lmao. I didn't even notice, my pre-order from months ago went through last night at $43. Thanks for the heads up.

omgkitty

Yo wtf lmao. I didn't even notice, my pre-order from months ago went through last night at $43. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I always wonder if this is Amazon's doing or the publisher. Basically they know the people who are going to preorder, will preorder for whatever price and never check it again, so they can sell it for $40 and then day of release as word spreads on the release and people just finding out about it go and see a much nicer price.

He meant out of stock on Barnes and Nobles website during the sale.

ohhhh shiiiit

I cleaned up at a BnN on vacay this weekend, all tried and trues tho:
Fisher King
Tootsie
Llewyn Davis
Big Chill
Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Really want to get
All That Jazz
Mulholland
Hard Days Night
Don't Look Back

before it's over

SeanC

I was kind of hoping I'd get my in-store members coupon this week but I guess not. If I do I could get 80% off that Tati set.

Either way going by the brick and mortar one on Sunday to pick up one or two more with some other smaller coupons I have. Have to get rid of them sometime.

berzeli

Banned
New Arrow announcements! (All are UK only)
CnKshAlW8AABOBQ.png:large
CnKs3MFXEAAW_bW.png:large
CnKtHNaWIAAGv5C.png:large
CnKzoo9XYAEkY0t.png
CnKz3MlWIAAT6Cn.png
CnK0AnIW8AEIp0s.png
CnK0TjmWgAE7zmL.png:large
So glad they announced Dekalog, looks like they will deliver the superior package for it as well. Shame that it probably won't contain the feature length versions of A Short Film About Killing, and A Short Film About Love.

Fjordson

Yeah I always wonder if this is Amazon's doing or the publisher. Basically they know the people who are going to preorder, will preorder for whatever price and never check it again, so they can sell it for $40 and then day of release as word spreads on the release and people just finding out about it go and see a much nicer price.
Updated on this: pwnd by Amazon

We work hard to find the best prices out there and match them for all customers every day. Our prices do change over time. We don’t offer post-purchase adjustments for products other than TVs.

lame.

omgkitty

Updated on this: pwnd by Amazon

lame.

That's what they told you? That's some bullshit. Yesterday I contacted them about my Zero Tme Dilemma preorder which has had a bunch of crap surrounding it and saw a bunch of people getting theirs already after they contacted Amazon, so I did and they refused to help me. It's all about who you end up talking to unfortunately. Some people will just help you and do what you want, but some are idiots and refuse to give in to anything. I would say return your order and reorder it for the cheaper price.

Fjordson

That's what they told you? That's some bullshit. Yesterday I contacted them about my Zero Tme Dilemma preorder which has had a bunch of crap surrounding it and saw a bunch of people getting theirs already after they contacted Amazon, so I did and they refused to help me. It's all about who you end up talking to unfortunately. Some people will just help you and do what you want, but some are idiots and refuse to give in to anything. I would say return your order and reorder it for the cheaper price.
I probably should. I mean it's not much money, but the practice just feels a little slimy. Like you said, it's basically wait until pre-orders are locked in and then bam. Price drop.

I should probably pre-order things less in general, I just always get worried about stuff selling out lol. I never know when demand will outpace supply with non-mainstream blus.

omgkitty

I probably should. I mean it's not much money, but the practice just feels a little slimy. Like you said, it's basically wait until pre-orders are locked in and then bam. Price drop.

I should probably pre-order things less in general, I just always get worried about stuff selling out lol. I never know when demand will outpace supply with non-mainstream blus.

Yeah with blu-ray's specifically, I wait a lot more nowadays. I used to buy everything immediately and then would see it for like $7 and realize I'd never watched it, so unless it's something I know won't drop, I usually just wait. This I wasn't sure as it had sat at $40 for the entire time, so I assumed that was the standard price it was going to be. I have no issues taking advantage of Amazon's system if I have to though. I spend thousands of dollars there every year, they can fuck off when they pull crap like this.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Stranger Than Paradise was great, a non-Ghost Dog Jarmusch that I loved(though I haven't seen many others, just Down By Law).

P_original.jpg

Stripped down character study about wanderlust, happenstance, and what Florida is really like.
You should see Dead Man.

Mumei

Well, I didn't get everything I wanted but I did find what seems like good substitutions:

The Apu Trilogy
Dr. Strangelove, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Everlasting Moments
Phoenix
Revanche
Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Still Walking
Three Colors: Blue White Red
Two Days, One Night
Y Tu Mamá También

And I also ordered a gorgeous Taschen edition of Caravaggio's Complete Works that will go along nicely with my Bosch and Velazquez.

Sounds like it's worth a look.

No one's seen Slacker? Is it any good outside of being the inspiration for Clerks?

You should see that, Mystery Train, and Night on Earth as well.

Slacker is alright, aalthough I wouldn't recommend someone blind buying it unless they're a fan of Linklater. It has a Twin Peaks vibe with the exploration of a town's weird citizens.

cj_iwakura

I find new things to appreciate about Strangelove every time I watch it. Couple things in particular...

Right when Turgidson is saying a prayer and mentions 'the angel of death', it cuts to Strangelove, sitting alone and folding his hands.

And one of my favorite shots: General Ripper having a brief moment where he holds his head in his hands as the alarm goes off, before he gets up and stares out the window.A moment of true regret.

big ander

Sounds like it's worth a look.

No one's seen Slacker? Is it any good outside of being the inspiration for Clerks?

Slacker is vastly superior to Clerks. Granted, I'm a Linklater fanboy, but those movies are just on completely different playing fields. Frankly I find it a tragedy that the primary descriptor someone would have for Slacker would be "inadvertently inspired Kevin Smith to make movies"

Shiv47

Anyone who pre-ordered Belladonna of Sadness should have gotten an adjustment by now. I was told if the price changed by the end of day of release, it would be refunded.

Ridley327

In case no one here has seen it yet, we've got a near-final look at the box art for the upcoming Lone Wolf & Cub set:

No other details yet. I'm really curious to see if they're going to bother including any of the Shogun Assassin cuts.

SeanC

If you're a B&N Member you're supposed to get some in-store coupons today (email and snail mail I think). I haven't yet though. Was hoping to go in this weekend and stack those puppies up with my member discount.

I have never seen a Lone Wolf movie. Yet I love Samurai film. Am I a bad person?

Fjordson

In case no one here has seen it yet, we've got a near-final look at the box art for the upcoming Lone Wolf & Cub set:

No other details yet. I'm really curious to see if they're going to bother including any of the Shogun Assassin cuts.
This will be a day 1 buy fa sho.

Finally got paid, so I picked up the following from the B&N sale:

The Fisher King
Grey Gardens
The Leopard
Eraserhead
Ministry of Fear

I'll be getting one more paycheck before the sale ends, so I'll probably pick up The Complete Lady Snowblood, 8 1/2, House, and City Lights then.

Ridley327

If you're a B&N Member you're supposed to get some in-store coupons today (email and snail mail I think). I haven't yet though. Was hoping to go in this weekend and stack those puppies up with my member discount.

I have never seen a Lone Wolf movie. Yet I love Samurai film. Am I a bad person?

The rights have bounced around enough times where it's really tough to get your hands on any of the previous releases. AnimEigo did put out a Blu-ray box set of all six films a few years ago, but that went OOP really fast and commands a big price. And that was for 1080i discs!

teepo

that lone wolf and cub cover art is going to be a thing of beauty.

and yes, you should consider yourself a bad person but you're also terribly lucky. if you love samurai films, especially ones more akin to zatoichi and the hanzo trilogy than your standard kurosawa fare, then you're in for a treat.

Mumei

My stuff came! I am very happy, though unfortunately Everlasting Moments is slightly damaged. I will have to take it to the store to see if I can get an exchange or something.

I have also received my first coupon in the e-mail today; a coupon for $10 off a purchase over $50!

... Unfortunately my car is about to cost me ~$375 plus whatever the transmission costs so :( :( :(.

SeanC

I have also received my first coupon in the e-mail today; a coupon for $10 off a purchase over $50!

Goddamnit B&N send me mine! You already invalidated those 20% off coupons, gimmie something here. How else am I going to take (more) advantage of you?

Top Bottom