• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

SeanC

Is the old MGM Blu the same that's in the Man with No Name Trilogy? That's the one I have.

I haven't watched that disc yet so I can't comment to how it is.

berzeli

Banned
Is the old MGM Blu the same that's in the Man with No Name Trilogy? That's the one I have.

I haven't watched that disc yet so I can't comment to how it is.
It might be the new one. There are two versions of the Man with No Name Trilogy boxset (because of course there fucking is); old, new.
The problem with films like TGTBTU is that it get released and bundled so many times, TGTBTU has been released (in the US alone) 11 times, five stand alones and six boxsets

SeanC

Yeah, I have the old it looks like.

I love the movie but unsure if I need a 4k upgrade. I've bought that movie a good four times now on DVD/Blu and as much as I love it, a yellow tint sounds a little off putting. Cant find it on DVD Beaver which is usually good with comparison shots and such.

If I get around to watching it and feel it could be better then I might pick up the latest release.

SeanC

Oooh, excellent site. Thank you.

Edit: Hmmm, definitely very crisp looking on the latest, but that yellow is really off putting. I don't know the history of the film if that's intentional or not, but the color blue seems to not exist in this world and the sky can look slightly green because of that tint.

berzeli

Banned
Oooh, excellent site. Thank you.

Edit: Hmmm, definitely very crisp looking on the latest, but that yellow is really off putting. I don't know the history of the film if that's intentional or not, but the color blue seems to not exist in this world and the sky can look slightly green because of that tint.

It is supposed to be tinted yellow, just not as much as the MGM. I think that the Italian blu-ray is the most accurate in terms of colour.

omgkitty

PLEASE BE JEALOUS OF ME EVERYONE

T3Shgwe.png

omgkitty

What is that??

That's the new streaming service Criterion is going to when they leave Hulu in November. It's also gonna have the catalogs of things like Flicker Alley and Kino, and a few others. It doesn't start for a few more months, but I signed up for the beta and got in.

Fjordson

That's the new streaming service Criterion is going to when they leave Hulu in November. It's also gonna have the catalogs of things like Flicker Alley and Kino, and a few others. It doesn't start for a few more months, but I signed up for the beta and got in.
Aw shit. I didn't even know about it.

Reading up on it now I'm jealous.

J_Viper

Anyone have any slight audio sync issues when playing Criterion BRs on PS4?

90% of the time it's fine, but every now and then the sound is ahead of the picture by just enough to be noticeable.

This doesn't happen with any non-Criterion BRs.

omgkitty

Having not seen The New World, and going off the work put into the set, I'm going to assume the extended cut is the one to watch?

cj_iwakura

Did Ghost Dog ever get a blu-ray release, or just the Artisan DVD?
Having not seen The New World, and going off the work put into the set, I'm going to assume the extended cut is the one to watch?
Of course. Doubt I'd ever want to watch it again, but it's certainly pretty.

omgkitty

From the Criterionforum, these titles appear to be licensed by Criterion that have not been previously announced already and are showing up on Filmstruck:

TOM JONES (1963)
BIENVENIDO MR. MARSHALL! (1952)
DERSU UZALA (1975)
MEANTIME (1984)
LA POISON (1951)
THE OFFICIAL STORY (1985)
SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING (1960)
HIGH HOPES (1988)
ROBINSON CRUSOE (1954)

Ridley327

I would assume that Dersu Uzala is probably an older transfer, since they've only recently begun working on what will be a very long restoration process for the film.

SeanC

I would assume that Dersu Uzala is probably an older transfer, since they've only recently begun working on what will be a very long restoration process for the film.

The DVD I have is unwatchable. It looks really bad. Would love to actually see that movie with a good transfer, HD or otherwise.

Lucky ducks getting on Filmstruck.

Ridley327

The news is apparently a couple of days old, but McCabe & Mrs. Miller got bumped out of its original release date to October at the earliest. No reason has been given yet, though such a big delay does make me wonder if they managed to get either Beatty or Christie to chat about the film and felt that was worthwhile.

My copy of Cul-de-sac arrived all fucked up so I went to the store to exchange it and the copy there was fucked up too.

Ended up just exchanging it for La Dolce Vita.

Yeah, I'm excited to watch it. I liked 8 1/2 a lot, and this one looks even more appealing to me. My collection is also in dire need of more Italian films.

Picked up for this final order:

Dr. Strangelove
The New World
Agnès Varda in California
Fellini Satyricon
Close-Up

I really wanted Like Someone in Love. Oh well, I'll eventually just get it off Amazon. Feel a bit weird about having spent so much, but I guess I've also sold a ton of blu rays in the past year, so I don't feel too bad about basically only buying Criterions at this point (with a few exceptions).

Has Filmstruck confirmed they will have apps on Xbox One and PS4?

EDIT: and are there any B&N coupons still active for additional discount on their sale?

SeanC

Has Filmstruck confirmed they will have apps on Xbox One and PS4?

EDIT: and are there any B&N coupons still active for additional discount on their sale?

Sadly B&N has been cracking down on the coupons the last week or so of the sale and a lot that were working (like additional 15/25% off) are no longer valid for the Sale. There might be some member coupons but those are done as a raffle.

I'm good for the rest of the year, got a good 15 flicks for only around $150 (actually a little more, forgot I bought some in-store). I will pick up McCabe and Mrs. Miller when that gets released, though. Otherwise I'm looking forward to trying out Filmstruck considering I'm likely dropping Hulu in a month or so.

These New World and Strangelove sets are beautiful, lawd. I also enjoy the hot pink spine and disc art on Gilda. The latter really stands out on the shelf.

#physicalmedia4lyfe

Fjordson

These New World and Strangelove sets are beautiful, lawd. I also enjoy the hot pink spine and disc art on Gilda. The latter really stands out on the shelf.

#physicalmedia4lyfe
Agreed. I got Gilda recently and love that pink spine. The packaging for Touch of Zen is nice also.

Now we just need booklets to come back instead of the foldout posters.

Question. Just used a 20% off coupon at B&N on In A Lonely Place and I wake up this morning and there's another coupon in my email. Can I use that one too?

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/28/phantasm-remastered-ravager-don-coscarelli

It looks like Phantasm has found a home, at least in America anyway, Well Go USA is planning a collector's edition boxset for later this year. It's not confirmed if Phantasm 2 will be included since the rights were last known to be held by Shout Factory. Phantasm: Remastered will be getting a limited theater run in late September and Phantasm: Ravager will also be getting a limited run starting October 7th. Also on the 7th, both Phantasm: Remastered and Ravager will be released digitally along with the other installments of the series. In addition to the boxset, Phantasm: Remastered and Ravager will also be released individually on Blu.

I don't know much about Well Go USA, but hopefully they knock it out of the park.
I'm still secretly hoping for an Arrow UK release!

Ridley327

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/28/phantasm-remastered-ravager-don-coscarelli

It looks like Phantasm has found a home, at least in America anyway, Well Go USA is planning a collector's edition boxset for later this year. It's not confirmed if Phantasm 2 will be included since the rights were last known to be held by Shout Factory. Phantasm: Remastered will be getting a limited theater run in late September and Phantasm: Ravager will also be getting a limited run starting October 7th. Also on the 7th, both Phantasm: Remastered and Ravager will be released digitally along with the other installments of the series. In addition to the boxset, Phantasm: Remastered and Ravager will also be released individually on Blu.

I don't know much about Well Go USA, but hopefully they knock it out of the park.
I'm still secretly hoping for an Arrow UK release!

They're known mostly for being one of the biggest, if not the biggest, distributor of recent Asian films in the US, but they've also handled non-Asian films in the past.

Soooo Stalker might finally be coming to criterion after all! It showed up on Filmstruck with a criterion and Janus logo and a different transfer than the current Artificial Eye one.

SeanC

Soooo Stalker might finally be coming to criterion after all! It showed up on Filmstruck with a criterion and Janus logo and a different transfer than the current Artificial Eye one.

I figured it was only a matter of time but that is awesome news.

Any other gems you've noticed?

Can you describe the UI or anything? Does it have Chromecast support or are you on PC?

I figured it was only a matter of time but that is awesome news.

Any other gems you've noticed?

Can you describe the UI or anything? Does it have Chromecast support or are you on PC?

You'll have to direct your questions to omgkitty for those, I don't have the Filmstruck beta myself, but the info comes from several people who have seen it on there. Someone even posted screencaps of the Filmstruck criterion-branded Stalker and compared it to the Artificial Eye blu and the Filmstruck one looks sooooo much better.

SeanC

You'll have to direct your questions to omgkitty for those, I don't have the Filmstruck beta myself, but the info comes from several people who have seen it on there. Someone even posted screencaps of the Filmstruck criterion-branded Stalker and compared it to the Artificial Eye blu and the Filmstruck one looks sooooo much better.

Gotcha.

I've more or less decided to drop Hulu once it loses Criterion (currently watching all the Zatoichi movies...only 16 to go before they're off there) in favor of FilmStruck. Even if it's not the full Criterion catalog and its a few extra bucks a month, there's still a ton I want to see that I don't really want to buy that I'm sure they'll have. It'll pay for itself in a week.

Yea I'm gonna dump Hulu as well when Criterion pulls out. Whether I get Filmstruck or not depends entirely on the pricing model. I probs won't get it if it's much more than Hulu.

Anyone have any Scream Factory recommendations? Think I'm gonna order Prince of Darkness and one other today.

Considering Day of the Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Return of the Living Dead, or another Carpenter (I own The Fog, and have The Thing preordered already). But I'm open or other suggestions.

Top Bottom