• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

IronRinn

Anyone have any Scream Factory recommendations? Think I'm gonna order Prince of Darkness and one other today.

Considering Day of the Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Return of the Living Dead, or another Carpenter (I own The Fog, and have The Thing preordered already). But I'm open or other suggestions.
Both good. You could always pick up They Live and Escape From New York to round out your Carpenter collection.

SeanC

Anyone have any Scream Factory recommendations? Think I'm gonna order Prince of Darkness and one other today.

Considering Day of the Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Return of the Living Dead, or another Carpenter (I own The Fog, and have The Thing preordered already). But I'm open or other suggestions.

They Live is great.

Buckaroo Bonzai is the only other one I own, but I still want to get Sleepaway Camp, Body Snatchers, Return of the Living Dead, The Burning and The Thing when it comes out. Love all those movies.

They Live is actually one of Carpenter's lesser of his good films imo. I still dig it, but I'd prioritize getting like Escape from NY or Assault on Precinct 13 over it. I really wish Shout would get their hands on In the Mouth of Madness.

SeanC

They Live is actually one of Carpenter's lesser of his good films imo. I still dig it, but I'd prioritize getting like Escape from NY or Assault on Precinct 13 over it. I really wish Shout would get their hands on In the Mouth of Madness.

You say something so wrong then something so right I don't know how to feel...

Yeah it bums me out that Shout's Nosferatu apparently sucks, I totally would have gotten that. Went with Day of the Dead instead (sorry afternoon delight)

berzeli

Banned
Speaking of superior BFI releases, their Quay Brothers boxset has gotten detailed:
719gG2at4%2BL._SL1500_.jpg
The Films:

Nocturna Artificialia (1979)
The Cabinet of Jan Svankmajer (1984)
This Unnameable Little Broom (1985)
Street of Crocodiles (1986)
Rehearsals for Extinct Anatomies (1988)
Stille Nacht I: Dramolet (1988)
Ex-Voto (1989)
The Comb (1990)
Anamorphosis (1991)
The Calligrapher (Parts I, II, III) (1991)
Stille Nacht II: Are We Still Married? (1992)
Stille Nacht III: Tales from Vienna Woods (1993)
Stille Nacht IV: Can't Go Wrong Without You (1994)
In Absentia (2000)
The Phantom Museum (2003)
Songs for Dead Children (2003)
Eurydice, She So Beloved (2007)
Alice in Not so Wonderland (2007)
Kinoteka Ident (2008)
Inventorium of Traces (2009)
Wonderwood for Comme des Garçons (2010)
Maska (2010)
Through the Weeping Glass (2011)
Unmistaken Hands: Ex Voto F.H. (2013)

Special features

Newly remastered presentations
Introduction by the Quay Brothers (2006, 20 mins)
Quay (2015, 8 mins): a film by Christopher Nolan
Quay Brothers audio commentaries for This Unnameable Little Broom, Street of Crocodiles, Stille Nacht l, Stille Nacht ll, Stille Nacht lll and In Absentia
The Falls (excerpt) (1980, 5 mins)
BFI Distribution ident (1991, 30 secs)
The Summit (1995, 12 mins)
No Bones About It! Quay Brothers (2010, 12 mins)
Behind the Scenes with the Quay Brothers (2013, 31 mins)
Unmistaken Hands: Ex Voto F.H. trailer (2 mins)
Extensive booklet containing Michael Brooke's 'A Quays Dictionary' (updated) and the 2013 dialogue 'On Deciphering the Pharmacist's Prescription for Lip-Reading Puppets'

UK | 1979-2013 | colour, and black and white | English language | 305 minutes | Various original aspect ratios | BD50 x 2 | 1080p | 24fps | PCM audio (48kHz/24-bit) | Cert 12 | Region B
That is nine more films, plus more extras!

SeanC

Just saw To Live and Die in LA a few months back. Loved it. As usual, totally overlooked Friedkin flick. Nobody really talks about him much outside of Exorcist and French Connection but he made some damn gems.

Speaking of, how is the Sorcerer blu ray? It's OOP I guess and goes for a high-ish price on ebay so not sure I want to pull the trigger.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So weird to see a company release such good films and such awful ones at the same time.

One man's trash is another man's treasure
preach.gif

I'm pretty thrilled Arrow and Shout give the fancypants treatment to so many of these '70s and '80s horror flicks, since it's clear no one else would do it.

Ridley327

I'm so glad that Arrow kept the notorious "video nasty" box art for The Driller Killer.

I also love that the cover for Arrow's disc of Howling II highlights the horrible werewolf masks and the exploding dwarf eyeballs. It is an awful movie, but it is wall-to-wall insane every step of the way.

berzeli

Banned
I've talked before about how gorgeous the covers for TWF's Kitano films are:
I mean just look at them. They are wonderful.

Unfortunately they haven't been able to secure the rights to Violent Cop or Boiling Point. But a US company have, and they just unveiled their covers also featuring original illustrations:
1uaylrE.gif

Could like everyone just buy a copy from Third Window Films so they get enough money to acquire the rights for the films so we can try and undo those abominations.

Ridley327

It seems like Akira Kurosawa's Dreams will be one of today's announcements, going by the credits they're adding to the main website.

EDIT: And for the Lone Wolf and Cub box set, but that was pretty much guaranteed to be their big November box set with all of the recent cover art teases.

EDIT 2: And One-Eyed Jacks, which was recently restored by Universal.

EDIT 3: And The Squid and the Whale and Punch-Drunk Love. Brace yourselves for the incoming one-man bukkake from Birdie.

SeanC

Isn't that Benjamin Marra, American Genius?

Looks like the same style (after googling).

I like his work from what I've seen, very pulpy, but it doesn't make for nice box art. I think it's more the coloring than anything. It looks like he did Criterion's Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo's cover and the black and white one I see is a million times better than the colored one.

It seems like Akira Kurosawa's Dreams will be one of today's announcements, going by the credits they're adding to the main website.

EDIT: And for the Lone Wolf and Cub box set, but that was pretty much guaranteed to be their big November box set with all of the recent cover art teases.

EDIT 3: And The Squid and the Whale and Punch-Drunk Love. Brace yourselves for the incoming one-man bukkake from Birdie.

WWWWWHAT

WHAT
WHAT
WHAT

next thing you'll say magnolia and K&S on blu

SeanC

Great, now I'm going to be behind even more on getting these. I barely got caught up with the recent B/N sale and every one of these I want.

Ridley327

I'd assume this will be it until the official announcements later today (well, thus far), so any upgrades and/or updates on the delayed McCabe and Mrs. Miller won't be known until then. That being said, that's a pretty kick-ass slate for November.

Ridley327

hey criterion hedz, what are "phantom pages" and how do people find them?

This thread goes into it in great detail, but generally speaking, phantom pages are uploaded prior to an imminent announcement so that people will be able to search those credits when the site is updated later on with the new releases. Thanks to the internet, people have been able to cross-reference cast and crew lists with great haste to figure out what film is going to be announced ahead of time.

Sometimes, some stuff gets uploaded well in advance, and recently, people have been noticing a lot of movement towards properties that are controlled by Mosfilm, so it stands to logic and other happenings like Kino having a bunch of their Mosfilm-licensed titles go OOP that we're going to be in for a big influx of Russian films over the next couple of years, beyond already known titles like Dersu Uzala and Stalker.

This thread goes into it in great detail, but generally speaking, phantom pages are uploaded prior to an imminent announcement so that people will be able to search those credits when the site is updated later on with the new releases. Thanks to the internet, people have been able to cross-reference cast and crew lists with great haste to figure out what film is going to be announced ahead of time.

Sometimes, some stuff gets uploaded well in advance, and recently, people have been noticing a lot of movement towards properties that are controlled by Mosfilm, so it stands to logic and other happenings like Kino having a bunch of their Mosfilm-licensed titles go OOP that we're going to be in for a big influx of Russian films over the next couple of years, beyond already known titles like Dersu Uzala and Stalker.

Thanks so much!

Top Bottom