• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

So are the Lone Wolf and Cub movies good? I jumped on it because it's a criterion samurai box set with dope art for $40...but I actually don't know anything about the movies other than that GZA samples one of them on Liquid Swords, and that they're pretty violent.

It'd be really hard for me to believe that a series of six films in which Kenji Misumi directed four of them would be anything but pretty damn good. That guy was choice as hell for chanbara films.

So are the Lone Wolf and Cub movies good? I jumped on it because it's a criterion samurai box set with dope art for $40...but I actually don't know anything about the movies other than that GZA samples one of them on Liquid Swords, and that they're pretty violent.

Yeah, They have more action than Lady Snowblood and are far less rapey than Hanzo The Razor. I'd rank them (as a series), just below LS, and far above LS 2.

Ridley327

Hanzo definitely has that uncomfortable sexual assault angle, but man, the first time he whips out his no-fail interrogation tactic, it's hard not to laugh at the sheer absurdity of it all.

Shiv47

Hanzo definitely has that uncomfortable sexual assault angle, but man, the first time he whips out his no-fail interrogation tactic, it's hard not to laugh at the sheer absurdity of it all.
Yeah, the sexual elements are pretty gross. I always thought they should have had Hanzo rape everyone, male and female, to get info, and have them all enjoy it in the end, if they were gonna go that route.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka is releasing Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis(!). No word if it is included in the Masters of Cinema series, but in any case I think it is their first anime release. Really hope they could get their hands on Satoshi Kon as well.

And they are also releasing Luis Bunuel's Death in the Garden.

No packshots or info for either release

omgkitty

Eureka is releasing Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis(!). No word if it is included in the Masters of Cinema series, but in any case I think it is their first anime release. Really hope they could get their hands on Satoshi Kon as well.

And they are also releasing Luis Bunuel's Death in the Garden.

No packshots or info for either release

I'm so glad animation like that is finally starting to get recognized as something more than just cartoons in the western world.

berzeli

Banned
Because Region B land didn't have enough awesome releases:
Indicator is a new British Blu-ray and DVD label owned and operated by Powerhouse Films Ltd, London, England.

Founded by industry veterans with a passion for physical media, Indicator aims to release four titles per month. Indicator editions will be expertly encoded using the finest available master materials, offer lovingly assembled extra features, carry new and improved English subtitles, and include accompanying booklets containing newly commissioned and contemporary writing.
jIcat7c.jpg
qYwgVk5.jpg
e55FnJ8.jpg
Zf6EGia.jpg
ikzRFBz.jpg
001 - CHRISTINE (John Carpenter, 1983)
002 - BODY DOUBLE (Brian De Palma, 1984)
003 - GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (Stanley Kramer, 1967)
004 - TO SIR, WITH LOVE (James Clavell, 1967)
005 - 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (Richard Fleischer, 1971)
006 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME (J. Lee Thompson, 1981)
007 - THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (Orson Welles, 1947)
008 - BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (Otto Preminger, 1965)
009 - FAT CITY (John Huston, 1972)
010 - THE LAST DETAIL (Hal Ashby, 1973)
011 - EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (Blake Edwards, 1962)
012 - THE ANDERSON TAPES (Sidney Lumet, 1971)
Wish them all the best. Really looking forward to The Lady From Shanghai, hopefully this will be the definitive edition.

omgkitty

Wish them all the best. Really looking forward to The Lady From Shanghai, hopefully this will be the definitive edition.

The definitive edition would be the original cut before they butchered it :\

Ridley327

That's practically all Twilight Time titles. I'm sure Region B fans are thrilled to no longer pay a premium for these titles and are possibly getting more bang for their buck on top of it.

cj_iwakura

Sometimes I feel kind of guilty for having a movie collection, then seeing the library-sized collection that people like Guillermo del Toro has puts my mind at ease.

Damn I really wish The Last Detail would get a release in the US other than the Twilight Time one. That and The Devils are my most wanted Criterion Films.

Sometimes I feel kind of guilty for having a movie collection, then seeing the library-sized collection that people like Guillermo del Toro has puts my mind at ease.

If you don't have a room full of reels and a projection room with 35mm, don't feel guilty. Your collection is lame, as is mine.

Was gonna cancel my Hulu subscription since I'm going on a trip for most of september and should probs save some money (lol but I bought that Blood and Black Lace bluray anway), but when I went to the cancelation page they credited me with a free month to keep me around. Nice. Little do they know I'm canceling for sure in November anyway once those criterions go away.

Damn I really wish The Last Detail would get a release in the US other than the Twilight Time one. That and The Devils are my most wanted Criterion Films.

Sony is starting a Blu Ray MOD service like Warner Archive next month. Body Double is one of the launch titles so I think that the high selling TT ones will pop up on there once the TT contracts run out. So expect things like The Last Detail, Fright Night, The Blob, JC's Vampires to pop up as the TT deals run out.

omgkitty

I haven't seen it either but I'm a big fan of the Bava I've seen and I love me some gialli. So if you like either of those things, then yah you probably want it. It looks gorgeous.

I've never seen either :|

I keep thinking about picking up those Nikkatsu Diamond Guys sets too, but those movies probably aren't very good.

Fjordson

Looks like not everything is included. The Yakuza Papers box is not part of it, for example.
I think they moved to just selling the single films. Those are showing up for me at $15 a piece.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for gangster films. I bought the box set and I've already gone through it three times.

SeanC

Do I want it? I've never seen it.

It's a pretty darn good giallo, but assuming you like giallos in the first place. It's always consistently in the discussion when people talk about the best ones - or at least the most influential ones as this one is years ahead of its time before the giallo genre really took off.

Because it's so early (1964) it's a little rough around the edges. It's not as polished as some of the stuff that would come by the time Argento took over, nor do I find it among Bava's best (maybe just a notch lower) but it's an important and overall really good flick.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka has a mini sale on their website:
£6.99 each:
Van Gogh (DVD)
The Rocket (DVD)
Tokyo Tribe (DVD)
Shogun Assassin (Blu-ray)
Tokyo Tribe (Blu-ray)
Van Gogh (Blu-ray)
The Rocket (Blu-ray)
Youth Of The Beast (Dual Format)
Harakiri (Dual Format)
£7.99 each:
Stalag 17 (Blu-ray)
Shane (Blu-ray)
Faust (Dual Format)
Frau Im Mond (Dual Format)
I Clowns (Dual Format)
Day Of The Outlaw (Dual Format)
A New Leaf (Dual Format)
Cruel Story Of Youth (Dual Format))
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (Dual Format))
£8.99 each:
The Man Who Could Cheat Death (Dual Format)
Robinson Crusoe On Mars (Dual Format)
And free shipping worldwide!

(There is also a pretty decent 3 for 30£ at zavvi, with various BFI, Arrow and Eureka titles)

And finally Indicator with new covers:

I'm curious if anyone here has ever sold an OOP Criterion? I've been dramatically decreasing the amount of stuff I own in general, and I finally hit my small, but still maybe more than I want, Criterions. I only have a few that I want to get rid of (some Jean-Pierre Melville films). I guess I'm interested in how you all curate your libraries and choose what to add to your collections. I went through my short period when I was just getting OOP Criterions for the value, and while I may really like Army of Shadows, it's also not a film I love and want to keep in my collection.

cj_iwakura

In The Mood For Love was breathtaking. That cinematography... on a whole other level. Especially the slow motion shots. I had to rent it from a library because it's not on Hulu for some reason (is it OOP?), but I'm considering getting a copy because of how rich the whole film is.

hugocésar;215266254 said:
I'm curious if anyone here has ever sold an OOP Criterion? I've been dramatically decreasing the amount of stuff I own in general, and I finally hit my small, but still maybe more than I want, Criterions. I only have a few that I want to get rid of (some Jean-Pierre Melville films). I guess I'm interested in how you all curate your libraries and choose what to add to your collections. I went through my short period when I was just getting OOP Criterions for the value, and while I may really like Army of Shadows, it's also not a film I love and want to keep in my collection.

I have Charade and Robocop, but I wouldn't part with them for the world.

Personally, if it's a film I'd watch again, I'd keep it... but there are some Criterions I don't really like but have for historical value(Last Temptation, Brazil), I'd consider it.

I also think there's a possibility I might like them more on future viewings, or I just respect their significance.

In the Mood or Love is 👌👌👌👌

The only criterion I own that I wasn't too enamored with is Kwaidan, but even that was worth it because a) it was gorgeous b) the supplements and c) I feel like I might like it more on rewatched.

I've been pretty damn good/lucky with blind buys thus far.

SeanC

hugocésar;215266254 said:

I've never sold one, but I have bought quite a few OOP DVD/Blu Ray Criterions (and Twilight Time movies) because they're films I particularly like (Kind Hearts and Coronets, Le Cercle Rogue, Pierrot le Fou etc...). I have a limit on how much I'll spend, though, but it all falls into how I buy Criterions/Arrow/Shout etc... movies: I'll buy movies I love but blind-buy others only when they're on sale for at least half off.

Awesome. I definitely have films like The Battle of Algiers, that I've only seen once or twice, and while don't adore, I love having them cause of their importance and overall supplements quality. But yeah, I've been going through my collection one by one and seeing which ones I really want to keep, hard as it is to sell some.

cj_iwakura

Finally watching Slacker via an interlibrary loan, and haha. A Ron Paul for President advertisement on a truck, and talk of inevitable global warning.

Cyclical history is a funny thing.

Top Bottom