• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

November titles!

843_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

841_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

842_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

844_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

845_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Damn that Lone Wolf and Club cover

I also love The Squid and the Whale's as its an excellent visual representation of the alienation/isolation of the family members from each other.

Ridley327

Having not seen LW&C outside of Shogun Assassin, the description of the last film sticks out for me:

In the final Lone Wolf and Cub film, star Tomisaburo Wakayama decided to make the sort of wild movie he’d always wanted to: one in which Lone Wolf battles zombies and Daigoro’s baby cart zips improbably across an icy landscape on skis.

This is all anyone needed to say about these films and I would have watched them ages ago!

Ridley327

Wait so the Lone Wolf set has all the movies and the Shogun Assassin edit for $80? That's pretty damn good.

It's normally $100, but Criterion always does a 20% discount on pre-orders. Since this will be out the same month as the next B&N sale, I would personally wait until then to get it down to $50.

Ridley327

The Dreams booklet sounds nice.

The whole disc is pretty insane when it comes to extras, especially with that monster on-set documentary of the film from the director of House. I know the film is considered lesser Kurosawa by most, but Criterion really came through on offering up some valuable context to surround it.

Even if it does mean having to suffer Iñárritu.

Fjordson

It's normally $100, but Criterion always does a 20% discount on pre-orders. Since this will be out the same month as the next B&N sale, I would personally wait until then to get it down to $50.
Ah yeah, nice. Will be a no-brainer for me at $50.

edit: Is there anywhere I can get Criterion covers in high res? Would love a big version of that Lone Wolf & Cub cover.

omgkitty

Got in there with the quickness yesssss. Hopefully they don't correct it like a buncha jerks.

Also, good November for Criterion. They've been killing it all year, and my wishlist has grown significantly with every passing month, even after the B&N sale.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the "this item has disappeared from our system so we have to cancel your order" crap.

Blader

Oh shit, One-Eyed Jacks?!

I tried watching that a few months ago on Amazon and the transfer was atrocious. Looked like a washed out VHS copy.

It's the moment where she says "Here we go" isn't it?

Did it make you cry too like me the moment you saw it and that's why you don't like it?

I understand that.

Nahhhh it's just a bad image for a cover, and I don't think it captures the tone of the movie at all. The previous posters were both much better.

SeanC

Even though I know they'll probably just end up canceling, it's weird Amazon hasn't fixed that price error on Lone Wolf. Guess I'll put in the order, if it cancels fine, I'll just pick it up on the next sale anyways.

Even more odd they haven't changed it considering it's #1 on the Blu Ray charts on their own site.

SeanC

For some reason my Lone Wolf and Cub order didn't go through. Not sure why. Maybe I forgot to confirm or something.

Ah well, I'll still get it later during a sale or something. In no rush. I'm backlogged as hell on Criterions to begin with. Picked up Rififi this past weekend with some store credit I had.

That awesome song in spanish was "Crying" by Roy Orbison if you didn't pick up on it. Top class Lynch, top class film making.

Now you too know what lurks in nightmares behind the restaurant.

What I love about that sequence is that somehow your brain thinks/remembers that the thing is IN the alley so when the camera dollies forward, you're still okay because the camera hasn't cut to the alley or turned the corner AND THEN ITS FUCKING HEAD POPS OUT AND YOU'RE LIKE "BRAIN. I FUCKING TRUSTED YOU. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK."

Shout's The Thing blu got delayed to October 11 because the 4.1 audio track has a sync issue. In good news though, there's a review out for it that says the release is otherwise excellent!

What I love about that sequence is that somehow your brain thinks/remembers that the thing is IN the alley so when the camera dollies forward, you're still okay because the camera hasn't cut to the alley or turned the corner AND THEN ITS FUCKING HEAD POPS OUT AND YOU'RE LIKE "BRAIN. I FUCKING TRUSTED YOU. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK."
One of my absolute favorite / absolute not favorite parts of all film stuff for sure, I can still picture the face. The conversation that precedes it is ace too.

So are the Lone Wolf and Cub movies good? I jumped on it because it's a criterion samurai box set with dope art for $40...but I actually don't know anything about the movies other than that GZA samples one of them on Liquid Swords, and that they're pretty violent.

Top Bottom