• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

THREE GROUPS OF FOUR BEES IN THE NEWSLETTER

BEE FOUR TRILOGY

BEFORE TRILOGY

YES
YES
YES
YES
YES

PSY・S;215529166 said:
WHAT

V7rCQ85.jpg

YESS

MY DICK IS ROCK SOLID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeanC

Finally received Blood and Black Lace today. The steel case it comes in is NICE.

Also, we getting the Before trilogy? Shweet!

Got mine yesterday as well and had no idea it was a steelboook. I love how they did the title kind of faded over the art, which didn't really come out in the pics. Really cool and will be watching this weekend probably.

Blader

What's the verdict on Kurosawa's Dreams? I've heard so-so things about it, that cover looks real nice and the doc supplements sound really interesting at least.

SeanC

What's the verdict on Kurosawa's Dreams? I've heard so-so things about it, that cover looks real nice and the doc supplements sound really interesting at least.

It's been a while since I've seen it, I have an old DVD somewhere, but visually it's gorgeous and showcases Kurosawa's visual artistry as a painter probably more than any other film he made. It's a personal film but also a personal experience in that you feel you're really seeing something through his eyes as he tries to convey feelings and emotions more than tell any kind of story, plot or character. It's a film I only recommend if you really love Kurosawa and want to see something totally different from him.

I don't think I finished watching Dreams when I did about seven years ago. I just remember a funny, kinda out of place Scorsese. I'm very curious to watch it again this time around.

Draconian

Can't wait for my Chimes at Midnight order to come in on Monday. I'll pick up The Immortal Story next sale. Please, please, please let a Magnificent Ambersons release be in our future.

Blader

It's been a while since I've seen it, I have an old DVD somewhere, but visually it's gorgeous and showcases Kurosawa's visual artistry as a painter probably more than any other film he made. It's a personal film but also a personal experience in that you feel you're really seeing something through his eyes as he tries to convey feelings and emotions more than tell any kind of story, plot or character. It's a film I only recommend if you really love Kurosawa and want to see something totally different from him.

That sounds good to me. And of the three Kurosawa color films I've seen, I've liked Dersu Uzala the most, so slower and more personal should be probably work fine for me. Thanks!

I know I said I was gonna save it for October...but I decided to hell with that and watched my copy of Blood and Black Lace. Lawd is it gorgeous, oh man. The movie is fantastic too. Nothin like gambling on a blind buy and coming out a winner.

I know I said I was gonna save it for October...but I decided to hell with that and watched my copy of Blood and Black Lace. Lawd is it gorgeous, oh man. The movie is fantastic too. Nothin like gambling on a blind buy and coming out a winner.

Yep, it's a good feeling when a blind buy delivers. I think I may watch Blood and Black Lace tonight, it's been years since I've seen it and that was on a crappy dvd transfer. I was impressed with the visuals even then, so it's time to crack open that Blu-ray.

I went to go see episode 7 and 8 of Dekalog yesterday. I was hesitant to just go see those, even though I know they can be seen in any order (and I'm getting the blu-ray set). But I realized that I've never seen Kieślowski in theaters, so I had to go. Really loved them, episode 7 in particular. A really beautiful 4K restoration.

hugocésar;215967981 said:
I went to go see episode 7 and 8 of Dekalog yesterday. I was hesitant to just go see those, even though I know they can be seen in any order (and I'm getting the blu-ray set). But I realized that I've never seen Kieślowski in theaters, so I had to go. Really loved them, episode 7 in particular. A really beautiful 4K restoration.

can't wait for my Blu Rays to ship this month

Yup. Movie looks amazing (THOSE COLORS!); it's a legitimate feast for the eyes. The rest of it is pretty good, too.

SeanC

Hell Comes to Frogtown?

Oh shit, that needs to come out here. The current DVD has the quality of a VHS rip and looks like garbage.

Riptwo

The Burning's Mondo cover art is so good. And I'm amazed that Guyver is happening, but I really need Guyver 2 in my life.

berzeli

Banned
Uh, the Donnie Darko release is stacked
Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts
Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director s Cut
Brand-new interviews with Richard Kelly and others
The Goodbye Place, Kelly s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster
Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary
Storyboard comparisons
B-roll footage
Cunning Visions infomercials
Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules
Galleries
Trailers
TV spots
Exclusive collector s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp
Might have to pick this one up.

Ridley327

Jeez, they really went all out for Donnie Darko. I wonder if Kelly is trying to get a set like that done for the US. He's got nothing but time these days!

Jeez, they really went all out for Donnie Darko. I wonder if Kelly is trying to get a set like that done for the US. He's got nothing but time these days!

He should go all out to try to get a Southland Tales release with the original Cannes cut and the graphic novels as extras.

SeanC

I went to my usual music/book/movie place on Sunday where I've had some decent luck in finding OOP Criterion/Twilight Time type of stuff and nabbed The Man Who Fell to Earth Criterion set w/book.

Sure it was the DVD and not Blu.

And it was Used.

But it was complete and in really good condition.

I couldn't pass that up. That in the wild is pretty rare and it was cheaper than what used ones were going for on Ebay. Not quite as cool as when I found Le Cercle Rogue Blu for $30 bucks earlier this year but up there. Looking forward to the commentary tracks.

IronRinn

I went to my usual music/book/movie place on Sunday where I've had some decent luck in finding OOP Criterion/Twilight Time type of stuff and nabbed The Man Who Fell to Earth Criterion set w/book.

Sure it was the DVD and not Blu.

And it was Used.

But it was complete and in really good condition.

I couldn't pass that up. That in the wild is pretty rare and it was cheaper than what used ones were going for on Ebay. Not quite as cool as when I found Le Cercle Rogue Blu for $30 bucks earlier this year but up there. Looking forward to the commentary tracks.
Awesome find. I hadn't read the book until I got that set. I really enjoyed it.

Ridley327

Not sure how many were looking forward to it releasing soon, but The Tree of Wooden Clogs was pushed back to Valentine's Day next year. I guess it'll get its long-awaited spine number then!

Ridley327

Phantom pages are popping up, and it looks like we should expect Fellini's Roma, Heart of the Dog and SURPRISE The Asphalt Jungle for the December announcements later on today. December is usually a light month for new releases, so this might be it for new-to-collection announcements.

Ridley327

I think it looks fine. The placement of the wacky C does hurt it a bit, though.

The Asphalt Jungle looks pretty packed. It's generally regarded as one of the best film noirs out there, right?

Incredibly happy for The Exterminating Angel. Hopefully this mean we finally start getting more stuff from Spain and Latin America. Buñuel is tremendous.

The Asphalt Jungle looks pretty packed. It's generally regarded as one of the best film noirs out there, right?

Very, very, very good movie. Kinda slots into that Rififi/The Killing lane, an influence on both I'm sure. Very tough and serious, with a stark and modern feel to it. I saw it a number of years back and specifically recall enjoying how the intimate framing and lots of foreground + background blocking made it stand out from other noirs of the era.

Top Bottom