• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

Very, very, very good movie. Kinda slots into that Rififi/The Killing lane, an influence on both I'm sure. Very tough and serious, with a stark and modern feel to it. I saw it a number of years back and specifically recall enjoying how the intimate framing and lots of foreground + background blocking made it stand out from other noirs of the era.

Oh, a heist film? Say no more, I'm on board.

omgkitty

Just a heads up that there will most likely be a half off sale at the end of the month / beginning of October on Criterion's site. There is always a flash sale around this time.

Because of the hype for La La Land, I decided to rent the Umbrellas of Cherbourg and it weirdly hit me pretty hard. Kinda cheesy, characters were a little thin and maybe a little formulaic but damn that last scene.

Also I just want the theme song to be playing at all times.

Ridley327

Latest Criterion newsletter hint should make quite a few people happy:

wacky-9-16.jpg

It's 45 Years

Sinthetic

Dekalog 1 absolutely destroyed me 2 nights ago. I've never cried so hard, it was raw and powerful as hell.

Up to Dekalog 5 now and nothing has come close to the first. 4 was very intense though.

Can't wait for my copy of Dekalog (loved Three Colors.) I decided to wait for Arrow's version since it was cheaper and comes with extra content (or at least it seemed so based on the descriptions.)

Region free BR player FTW.

Mumei

Just a heads up that there will most likely be a half off sale at the end of the month / beginning of October on Criterion's site. There is always a flash sale around this time.

Thanks for the head's up. At least having this thread in my subscriptions will remind me to check each day!

I ordered a couple blu's from Arrow on Thursday and they still haven't confirmed they've processed my order. I don't even think they've accepted my paypal payment yet...

omgkitty

I ordered a couple blu's from Arrow on Thursday and they still haven't confirmed they've processed my order. I don't even think they've accepted my paypal payment yet...

Arrow's site kinda sucks. I've ordered from them several times and never got a shipping notification or anything for it. Your package will probably just show up at some point. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Arrow's site kinda sucks. I've ordered from them several times and never got a shipping notification or anything for it. Your package will probably just show up at some point. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

huh that's kinda annoying haha. Do you know about how long they take to deliver to the states?

I managed to score these two little Criterion gems on ebay (along with three other less notable titles not pictured) for just $46 and change. I doubt they knew what they had.

The Etaix blu ray box wasn't in the best of shapes (notice the crushed corners), but heck, everything else is in good condition. The Painlevé collection is on DVD and the case is in pretty good shape aside from some scratches.

I think I'll be saving these for after my Halloween horror marathon.

IMG_0365.jpg

Edit: shit, price typo. I wish I had paid $26 lol

omgkitty

Speaking of Science is Fiction, does anyone have recommendations of the stuff like this Criterion has released that's worth picking up? I've pretty much skipped a lot of releases like this. Science is Fiction, Hollis Frampton, Brakhage, Golden Age of Television etc. Stuff like that. As far as DVD goes, things that will most likely not get upgraded. Anyone have any thoughts?

Dekalog 1 absolutely destroyed me 2 nights ago. I've never cried so hard, it was raw and powerful as hell.

Up to Dekalog 5 now and nothing has come close to the first. 4 was very intense though.

I thought 4 was one of the more sophisticated pieces of writing I've seen on film in some time. Under the hands of almost any other writers, it would've immediately gone where we thought it was all going to go to. I adore 1, but 4, so far at least, is just really fucking remarkable, I thought. Really excited to finish this off and then go to the short films he made out of two of them, and finally get into the supplements. (And also read Kieślowski on Kieślowski!)

Ran rp

If I haven't seen any of Kieślowski's work aside from Veronique which Dekalog set should I go for? Criterion's or Arrow's?

PSY・S;219027602 said:
If I haven't seen any of Kieślowski's work aside from Veronique which Dekalog set should I go for? Criterion's or Arrow's?
Hard to tell until both are out (Arrow's version is shipping on the 17th.)

I decided to wait for Arrow's because it was cheaper AND appears to have more content than Criterion's (it's called "Dekalog and Other TV Works") No idea about quality yet (tho Arrow is often a safe bet.) Also, and I'm probably in the minority on this, I like Arrow's box design more (Criterion's is still cool however.)

Also, keep in mind Arrow's version is listed as region B/2. You'll probably need a region-free player depending where you live.

Edit: Also, according to Criterion's site, it looks like their version includes "A Short Film About Killing" and "A Short Film About Love" which appear to be eps 5 and 6 expanded to feature film length. Arrow's version makes no mention of these. Personally, I might just end up getting Criterion's version down the line as well :p

omgkitty

The Arrow version has a couple short TV things not included on the Criterion set, but does not have the extended film versions of 5 and 6. The Arrow set is also 1080i and is shown in 25fps like it was on television there. The Criterion set is 1080p at 24fps. From what I've heard, you should probably just buy the version released in your region. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any huge reason to buy both or one over the other.

Arrow will be encoded at the correct 25fps TV framerate (but be careful if you're in the US, your TV might not support it) whereas Criterion will be 24fps. Check out this thread for more info: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=279931

Criterion will have "A Short Film About Killing" and "A Short Film About Love" Arrow won't (rights are with Artificial eye) but will have other content instead.

Seeing as you get double reward points during Arrow sales (which ended yesterday) it basically cost me £49.99 with 11£ back so easy win for Arrow as far as I'm concerned. It's still £44.99 on amazon.co.uk.

I just realized A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love are both available on Hulu. SWEET. Makes me feel better about going with Arrow's version.

Ran rp

I use my laptop and an external monitor for B/C Blu-rays so region isn't an issue, but the expanded episodes seem to be highly recommended so I guess I'll go with Criterion. If I ever want the other TV works I can wait for another sale. Thanks.

omgkitty

So I blew much more than is reasonable on the Martin Scorsese Presents: Masterpieces of Polish Cinema first 2 boxsets.

wt8fxJy.jpg

YCeZupS.jpg

The sets are gorgeous, the restauration looks top notch, it's selling out fast and the trailer for the collection had me hooked but in the end this is still a blind buy. Welp.

https://vimeo.com/122110078

Yep considered getting the 2nd set, but since I was never able to get the first one, I didn't feel obligated. Really hate how small the run on these sets is.

Clearly, US drew the short straw on this one. Can't understand why Milestone release is like a couple of hundreds units in total.

UK/Europe version has clearly been reprinted since the first set was sold out until recently and is now available again.

omgkitty

Clearly, US drew the short straw on this one. Can't understand why Milestone release is like a couple of hundreds units in total.

UK/Europe version has clearly been reprinted since the first set was sold out until recently and is now available again.

You have a link to it?

Edit: Never mind, it was in your original post. Seems they'll ship almost anywhere except the US. What a bunch of shit.

Criterion's flash sale should be coming up this month. I'm gonna go pretty crazy since I haven't done the B&N sale in a while. I'm also pretty close to getting 500 points for that $50 store credit from them.

SeanC

I'm definitely buying the del toro box in November. That + Lone Wolf and Cub for under $100? Yes please.

Ah shit, that's right, forgot about that coming up. I need to rework my Sale plans for Lone Wolf and maybe put Dekalog on the backburner until next go around.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I splurged and bought Scanners and The Brood from Amazon's recent micro-sale. Gotta encourage Criterion to do some more Cronenberg titles. I will continue to beg for Dead Ringers and Crash.

I have the Lone Wolf set on pre-order from Amazon for $43. Hopefully it doesn't get canceled.

Same, and I don't think it will get canceled. Most of their Criterions are already being sold for 40-50% off, and they usually honor pre-order price goofs.

I splurged and bought Scanners and The Brood from Amazon's recent micro-sale. Gotta encourage Criterion to do some more Cronenberg titles. I will continue to beg for Dead Ringers and Crash.

Shout Factory has Dead Ringers which I believe is coming out pretty soon.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yes. Yes they are. Doing some good work over there.
Yup, I've got Session 9 coming today or tomorrow, and I'll surely grab The Thing since that's another huge favorite I haven't yet got on Blu-ray.

omgkitty

We got Filmstruck pricing!

The basic service will be priced at $6.99 per month, which will get you:

A constantly refreshed library of hard to find & critically acclaimed films.
Rare footage & special features.
Streaming access anytime, from anywhere.
You will have access to some films from the Criterion Collection with that base level, but these options will rotate in and out. In addition to the Criterion Collection, there will be films from studios such as: Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, “along with movies from Hollywood’s major movie studios including Warner Bros”.

The next level up will get you The Criterion Channel. For $10.99 per month you get “everything that comes with the FilmStruck plan, plus”:

Largest collection of Criterion films available to stream at any time
Exclusive Criterion original bonus content.
Exclusive contemporary & previously unavailable films.
There will also be an option to pay $99 as a yearly fee, saving you $30.

SeanC

I have to see their overall library first, but I'd do a free trial then the $99 for a year if it's up to snuff. It's TCM + Criterion so I'm sure it'll be good, but I Have some holes in my viewing and want to make sure these would help get it filled so I don't have to blind-buy uncertainties.

Top Bottom