• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

SeanC

Just a heads up for those waiting on Criterion's sale. there's a 20% one item discount over at Barnes and Noble. If you can find some Blus already discounted, as B&N tends to have a higher markup, you can get a descent deal (Blood Simple is already 34% off, so additional 20 made it $21 for me. Free shipping for members).

Doesn't work for pre-orders, sadly.

Would love commentary confirmation

Criterion's newsletter confirms that there will at least be some commentaries. They said they are bringing back the out of print commentary track for Silence of the Lambs as an example.
They also said there will be out of print titles, full special editions of certain films, films never before available for US home video, introductions, special themed broadcasting (double features, a short film paired with a feature, etc), director profiles, streamed live events and other stuff.

It sounds amazing.

Edit: Nvm you already saw it lol

Criterion's newsletter confirms that there will at least be some commentaries. They said they are bringing back the out of print commentary track for Silence of the Lambs as an example.
They also said there will be out of print titles, full special editions of certain films, films never before available for US home video, introductions, special themed broadcasting (double features, a short film paired with a feature, etc), director profiles, streamed live events and other stuff.

It sounds amazing.

Edit: Nvm you already saw it lol

I'm mostly psyched to see that content with an HD version of the movie lol

omgkitty

Man, if they did the OOP in-character commentary for Spinal Tap I would be happy.

I feel like its going to be movies they can get the streaming rights to, mostly through the other connections on the site and they can add their commentaries and special features to.

SeanC

I feel like its going to be movies they can get the streaming rights to, mostly through the other connections on the site and they can add their commentaries and special features to.

Spinal Tap was on Netflix for a while, now not. So rights might be out there for it.

Sigh, another streaming service to sub to? It sounds kind of enticing but I've been pretty happy just getting Crit movies on Netflix bluray and Hulu

SeanC

Seems really steep, especially considering how much Hulu had, AND the films.

How much longer will Hulu have them for?

Filmstruck isn't just Criterion. It's also the TCM Catalog on demand alongside it which is probably deeper than even Criterion + all the extras and such. I'm anticipating quite the extensive library once it's all said and done.

Hulu has little exclusives at this point. A lot of their television can be streamed off network websites for free and have app support for TV viewing. I was worried I'd miss the CW shows they lost then I checked out their app and like "oh...there's the Flash premire, well F off Hulu."

cj_iwakura

Filmstruck isn't just Criterion. It's also the TCM Catalog on demand alongside it which is probably deeper than even Criterion + all the extras and such. I'm anticipating quite the extensive library once it's all said and done.

Hulu has little exclusives at this point. A lot of their television can be streamed off network websites for free and have app support for TV viewing. I was worried I'd miss the CW shows they lost then I checked out their app and like "oh...there's the Flash premire, well F off Hulu."

The biggest appeal for me is their insanely massive catalog of anime. Criterion is icing.

Blader

I don't think Film Struck will have TCM's catalog totally on demand, sounds like it'll be curated titles.

SeanC

I don't think Film Struck will have TCM's catalog totally on demand, sounds like it'll be curated titles.

Curated TCM Is probably still more extensive and quality than any other movie streaming service out there. Even if they only provide what they have for that particular month off their channel, it's always top-tier and hundreds of titles.

TheFlow

Banned
Curated TCM Is probably still more extensive and quality than any other movie streaming service out there. Even if they only provide what they have for that particular month off their channel, it's always top-tier and hundreds of titles.
We will see

omgkitty

Did anyone who was in the beta get an email about getting free Filmstruck access through the end of the year? I saw somewhere else they sent emails out but I didn't get one :(

Incredibly excited for FilmStruck. Especially since, assuming it's all that's presented to be, I won't feel the obligation to get a film I've never seen on blu-ray just cause it's the only easy way to see it on hi-def.

Mmm yes finally got my Shout Factory edition of The Thing

tumblr_nf08kmgM8z1qdv42bo1_500.gif

Blader

I still haven't figured out what I want. Definitely going to get Yi Yi at least, but was thinking of a second pick too.

Damn, I thought I'd be more excited about the Criterion sale, but I seriously can't think of anything I'd be interested in atm. And if I don't take advantage of the sale now I know I'll regret it later.

SeanC

Lone Wolf and McCabe for me, if it ever happens.

Any 50% off sale I try to get one box set, best time (only time, really).

SeanC

Whelp in that case I'll wait for B&N. In-store I get the additional discount as a member plus there's gonna be coupons and such by that time I'm sure will get even more off.

XShagrath

Whelp in that case I'll wait for B&N. In-store I get the additional discount as a member plus there's gonna be coupons and such by that time I'm sure will get even more off.
Having a B&N nearby, it's silly to ever buy Criterions anywhere else (if you want the most for your dollar). I've gotten them for as low as $13.xx after tax. I totally understand using the Criterion flash sales and Amazon/Best Buy throughout the year if you don't have a B&N nearby, or just absolutely need a title right away and can't wait for June/November.

omgkitty

Love all the covers, but especially like Fox and His Friends. No idea why I bought the Arrow Fassbinder set when I know I'm just going to keep buying the Criterion editions.

big ander

Hopefully Black Girl is the first of a bunch of Sembene. The New Yorker DVDs that do exist are hard to find and the quality isn't great. Would love a Xala blu

Top Bottom