• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Well.
Twilight Time is doing an "encore" release of it. Though the Arrow has a new restoration + more extras.

There's always the chance the arrow version is region free too right? I just bough Bay of Blood and The Beyond and I those were UK titles but luckily were region free.

Good stuff.

Sadly, I think I'm done with movie purchases for the year. Arrow's Dekalog and Grindhouse Releasing's I Drink Your Blood are it til 2017. A B&N Criterion sale might change my mind if it happens soon, but I doubt it.

berzeli

Banned
There's always the chance the arrow version is region free too right? I just bough Bay of Blood and The Beyond and I those were UK titles but luckily were region free.
I'd say the best you could hope for is that the "top menu trick" (which bypasses region check on some blu ray players) works with it, it is very likely region B locked.
But never say never!

omgkitty

This is a disease :(

Tokyo Drifter
Branded to Kill
The Life of Oharu
Sansho the Bailiff
The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum
Short Cuts
Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Dekalog
Blood Simple
Night Train to Munich
The Immortal Story
Chimes at Midnight
Woman in the Dunes

omgkitty

holy fuck

There was a point where I would just buy new releases, but then realized the wait for each sale wasn't that long so I started saving $20 whenever a new title came out I wanted so I would have the money the time a sale rolled around, so I was actually prepared this time. Still though, spending that much money at once on blu-rays is....a shock.

There was a point where I would just buy new releases, but then realized the wait for each sale wasn't that long so I started saving $20 whenever a new title came out I wanted so I would have the money the time a sale rolled around, so I was actually prepared this time. Still though, spending that much money at once on blu-rays is....a shock.

Hey man, as long as you got the $ go for it. No matter how much I buy my wish list never seems to shrink!

omgkitty

Hey man, as long as you got the $ go for it. No matter how much I buy my wish list never seems to shrink!

Yep. I've mostly gotten to the point where I only need to buy the new releases, but every time there seems to be a few I skipped before that I have changed my mind on and want to pick up.

SeanC

I actually bought some nice movie-based books over the weekend, including a coffee table Altman book (written and signed by his wife), so I'm passing on the Sale. Will hit up the B&N sale next month, though.

omgkitty

I actually bought some nice movie-based books over the weekend, including a coffee table Altman book (written and signed by his wife), so I'm passing on the Sale. Will hit up the B&N sale next month, though.

Yeah I need to pick up that new Taschen book for Disney. Thankfully I think I'll get it for Christmas.

Fjordson

That feeling when you get excited seeing Army of Shadows in the search list, but only because you forgot to uncheck "show out of print titles"

Welp...

A Brief History of Time
Blood Simple
Code Unknown
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
In the Mood for Love
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Lady Vanishes
Life During Wartime
Love Streams
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

Fuck... I accidentally bought 2 copies of Dr. Strangelove... Stupid criterion has a really annoying process for cancelling so it looks like I'm stuck with it...

Ridley327

Wound up with Boyhood, Pan's Labyrinth, Blood Simple and the recent Welles films. I did manage to get a $50 GC out of that order, though, so that will be nice to have for a rainy day in February. Or snowy day, or whatever damn weather that day they're holding that flash sale.

SeanC

Welp...

A Brief History of Time
Blood Simple
Code Unknown
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
In the Mood for Love
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Lady Vanishes
Life During Wartime
Love Streams
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

Fuck... I accidentally bought 2 copies of Dr. Strangelove... Stupid criterion has a really annoying process for cancelling so it looks like I'm stuck with it...

I need to get Love Streams still. It's not in the Box Set.

We need a good Blu of Gloria too.

IronRinn

Had, like, $450 worth of stuff in my cart at one point. Managed to pare it down to:

Yi Yi
Sansho the Bailiff
Godzilla
Blood Simple
Au Revoir les Enfants

TheFlow

Banned
Wound up with Boyhood, Pan's Labyrinth, Blood Simple and the recent Welles films. I did manage to get a $50 GC out of that order, though, so that will be nice to have for a rainy day in February. Or snowy day, or whatever damn weather that day they're holding that flash sale.

that pan's labyrinth is sooooo pretty.

Blader

Had, like, $450 worth of stuff in my cart at one point. Managed to pare it down to:

Yi Yi
Sansho the Bailiff
Godzilla
Blood Simple
Au Revoir les Enfants

I think I'm doing Yi Yi and Godzilla myself.

Unless someone wants to talk me into swapping Godzilla with The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp at the last minute?!

I'll just wait for the Barnes sale since Woman in the Dunes is in backorder, and I only want that and the del Toro trilogy right now (maybe an Eclipse boxset too...).

skybald

Picked up The Last Temptation of Christ, which I thought I bought at some point but could never find it.

When is The Squid and the Whale coming out? If it is out in time for BN sale I will be in heaven. 😬

Picked up The Last Temptation of Christ, which I thought I bought at some point but could never find it.

When is The Squid and the Whale coming out? If it is out in time for BN sale I will be in heaven. 😬

It's coming out the 22nd of November, so it should be availabe for the BN sale.

SeanC

Interesting, got a notice that FilmStruck is being delayed until November.

I actually kind of wonder if it's to get some sales out of the way first.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone know if Criterion will replace packaging?

Got my Del Toro Trilogy set today and the outer box has a nasty scuff on the front that was hidden by the price tag.

Was wondering if they would replace the box part if I e-mailed them.

omgkitty

Anyone know if Criterion will replace packaging?

Got my Del Toro Trilogy set today and the outer box has a nasty scuff on the front that was hidden by the price tag.

Was wondering if they would replace the box part if I e-mailed them.

Who'd you buy it from? If it was Amazon, you can send it back and they'll replace it.

SeanC

Good thing I didn't do the Criterion Sale because I was in the rotation this go-around for two 20% B&N Coupons in the mail today. So when that comes around in November I'll be getting 80% off a couple of Box sets. Going for Tati and Zatoichi (pending in-store stock, of course).

cj_iwakura

What are some essentials to watch on Hulu before Criterion goes away? Among others, I have Hard Day's Night and the rest of the Eric Rohmer films in queue.

Curious about Belle Du Jour, but I have mixed feelings about Luis Bunuel.

I've seen everything Jarmusch did, and he's 50/50(love Stranger Than Paradise, Permanent Vacation lost me).

berzeli

Banned
Eureka has a flash sale on. All titles in it are 5£ (!) and the shipping is free.
Titles included are (highlighted ones are part of MoC):
The Adventures of Mark Twain (Blu-ray)

The Adventures of Mark Twain (DVD)

Youth of the Beast Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)

Funeral Parade of Roses (DVD)

I Clowns Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)

John Dies At The End (DVD)

Les Miserables (Blu-ray)

The Rocket (Blu-ray)

Rogopag (DVD)

The Town That Dreaded Sundown Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)

Eureka has a flash sale on. All titles in it are 5£ (!) and the shipping is free.
Titles included are (highlighted ones are part of MoC):

Highlighted are must-haves

Les Miserables (Blu-ray)