• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Yup and that would be awesome.

IndieWire said:
Cinelicious Pics and actor Elijah Wood’s production company SpectreVision will restore and re-release Toshio Matsumoto’s Japanese queer cinema classic “Funeral Parade of Roses.” A loose adaptation of “Oedipus Rex” set in the gay underground of 1960’s Tokyo, the film follows a group of transgender people as they travel through a largely unseen world of drag bars and nightclubs, fueled by booze, drugs, fuzz guitar, performance art and black mascara.

Long unavailable in the United States, “Funeral Parade of Roses” is an intoxicating masterpiece of subversive imagery, combining elements of documentary and the avant garde. Stanley Kubrick acknowledged that the film was a major influence on “A Clockwork Orange.”

“Funeral Parade of Roses” is slated for a theatrical release in early 2017 with VOD and Blu-ray to follow.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/ci...of-roses-japanese-toshi-matsumoto-1201701376/

SeanC

Criterion's official Twitter just tweeted about how much they love Tampopo along with pics.

Could it actually happen finally?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Funeral Parade is incredible, nice to know it's going to finally be released in the US. The MoC dvd used to be one of my favorites.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What are some essentials to watch on Hulu before Criterion goes away? Among others, I have Hard Day's Night and the rest of the Eric Rohmer films in queue.

Curious about Belle Du Jour, but I have mixed feelings about Luis Bunuel.

I've seen everything Jarmusch did, and he's 50/50(love Stranger Than Paradise, Permanent Vacation lost me).
Try Persona, and all the Fassbinder films. Hoop Dreams if you've never seen it, too.

berzeli

Banned
DVDbeaver put out their Dekalog comparison between Arrow and Criterion. Crikey, didn't realise just how big difference it would end up being. The Arrow release has double the bitrate in more than one instance, more information in the frame, and more extras. Not that I dare make a final judgement based on beaver caps, but the Arrow looks way, way better on those. Such a shame they weren't able to secure the feature length versions of A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love, would have made it perfect.

Now watch it get ignored by Svet on blu-ray.com. lol.

omgkitty

DVDbeaver put out their Dekalog comparison between Arrow and Criterion. Crikey, didn't realise just how big difference it would end up being. The Arrow release has double the bitrate in more than one instance, more information in the frame, and more extras. Not that I dare make a final judgement based on beaver caps, but the Arrow looks way, way better on those. Such a shame they weren't able to secure the feature length versions of A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love, would have made it perfect.

Son of a bitch...I guess I've got to order this even though I bought the Criterion already.

I bet anything blu-ray.com won't review it. They seem to ignore most of the big UK sets, especially if there's a US version. They seem much more worried about offering their awful opinion on the movie itself than the quality of the disc.

Ran rp

I held off on getting it during the Criterion sale to see how the Arrow set compared and I'm glad I did. Keeping my Amazon order.

berzeli

Banned
I bet anything blu-ray.com won't review it. They seem to ignore most of the big UK sets, especially if there's a US version. They seem much more worried about offering their awful opinion on the movie itself than the quality of the disc.
I was mostly being catty about how he has been in the forums stating that Dekalog was totally shot in 24 fps. Because Criterion has it that way. And, um, other reasons like it being shot for SECAM, which is a problematic argument since there isn't a lot supporting that a Polish (PAL) and West German (PAL) co-production would be shot for a colour system used in France. Oh, and that SECAM also is 50Hz meaning that even if it was shot for SECAM it would be shot in 25 fps.

He can be such a fuckwit at times.

berzeli

Banned
Has anyone any experience with the non-studiocanal/criterion blu-rays of Don't Look Now?

More specifically there is an Australian one from Umbrella entertainment and a Nordic/euro one from Sony/Universal. Both are identical in terms of extras and both carry the logo of Studiocanal, but I can't find any info/caps about the transfer. Is it the same as the (botched) Canal one or if there are any improvements? They were both released later than the UK canal one.

berzeli

Banned
Was going to post the new MoC releases to show up Berzeli, but I'm too lazy.
Oh right, almost forgot about those.

MoC:
Cvn0vhoXEAAnulP.png
gFJIqr9.jpg
(Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari previously released as standard blu-ray, steelbook includes the pretty darn good 2014 documentary From Caligari to Hitler!)
Also forthcoming: Varieté (1925). No packshot for that one though.

Non Moc:

Solid lineup.

Hmm I was watching my criterion copy of Pan's Labyrinth and maybe I'm crazy or my tv settings need to be tweaked, but the quality of the transfer seems...inconsistent. Thhe detail, grain, and colors are all great. But the contrast seems like it's kinda washed out, and there's a decent amount of banding and patchy/blocky spots in the shadowed areas. And then there's one scene
where the doctor is with the captured rebel in the barn before the captain kills him
where the contrast is all of a sudden incredibly jacked up and all the blacks are crushed. Super weird. Maybe I got a bad disc? If any of you have it and watch it any time soon let me know if you have the same problem. I just watched Devil's Backbone from the same set and it was flawless.

IronRinn

Hmm I was watching my criterion copy of Pan's Labyrinth and maybe I'm crazy or my tv settings need to be tweaked, but the quality of the transfer seems...inconsistent. Thhe detail, grain, and colors are all great. But the contrast seems like it's kinda washed out, and there's a decent amount of banding and patchy/blocky spots in the shadowed areas. And then there's one scene
where the doctor is with the captured rebel in the barn before the captain kills him
where the contrast is all of a sudden incredibly jacked up and all the blacks are crushed. Super weird. Maybe I got a bad disc? If any of you have it and watch it any time soon let me know if you have the same problem. I just watched Devil's Backbone from the same set and it was flawless.
Oof. I might give it a look this weekend.

This pleases me (because I decided to wait for the Arrow version). Can't wait for my copy!

Oof. I might give it a look this weekend.

I think someone either fucked with my tv settings or my PS4 was acting up because I revisited a few problem scenes from the disc and didn't notice anything amiss this time (except that one scene with the super jacked contrast, which is apparently an issue on the other Blurays of Pan's as well). So crisis averted I think!

omgkitty

May get in trouble for posting this here (this is my thread, I'll do what I want!) but I need people, and I know a lot of you are of discerning taste.

I've got a friend who's running a commission with Edward Kinsella, and he's going to be doing a print of The Red Shoes for us. I can't tell you how excited I am for this as The Red Shoes is one of my favorite films, but the chances of ever getting a great poster for it are slim. Getting Kinsella to do this is incredible, and I think he's a perfect fit.

You may know him from the Carnival of Souls cover he did for Criterion. He worked on Satyricon as well. This will be a screen printed poster, basically what Mondo does if you know who that is. Cost isn't final as it depends on size and number of members, but we're hoping to come in at around $100 or so, but could be less or more. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get you added to the group.

omgkitty

Just a heads up if you were in the Filmstruck Beta, you can login to the site now with your beta login.

Edit: I'm having fun just going through everything they have right now. Maybe I just didn't pay that much attention to Hulu (or Hulu is shit for trying to find things) but there's a whole lot of stuff on here that wasn't on Hulu.

Edit edit: This is like a cinephile's wet dream.

Edit edit edit: Actually it may be live now. It's been a long morning :|

IronRinn

Barnes & Noble sale is live. Definitely grabbing Carnival of Souls. Had not seen it until this Saturday when TCM showed it. Really fantastic film.

I think someone either fucked with my tv settings or my PS4 was acting up because I revisited a few problem scenes from the disc and didn't notice anything amiss this time (except that one scene with the super jacked contrast, which is apparently an issue on the other Blurays of Pan's as well). So crisis averted I think!
That's good to hear. Weird about that one scene, though.

film struck looks amazing.. hot damn

all kinds of stuff that hulu never had and other titles i never would have expected

really cool to see OOP stuff like chungking express

Surprise Eureka announcement:

It (the steelbook + booklet) is a zavvi exclusive.

This pleases me greatly.

Edit: Well shit, it's showing as sold out already. I've seen some comments that this is typical of Zavvi though and that the actual pre-order link hasn't gone live yet and that some people got lucky. I hope so.

Ridley327

Surprisingly low-key start to the B&N sale, though I suppose it wouldn't have made much sense to start it next Tuesday with all the election stuff going on.

lordxar

Damn. Filmstruck is up and looks awesome...but Chromecast streaming is a no go...well, there goes that idea until they get it added.

Ran rp

Filmstruck's picture quality doesn't seem too hot but there don't seem to be any streaming quality options so I'm not sure if this is as good as it can get.

Edit: None of the Criterions I searched for are there :|

omgkitty

You want to know why streaming will NEVER be better than owning a disc? Because when you're watching a movie, the disc probably won't just to decide to stop playing when there's 3 FUCKING MINUTES LEFT IN THE CLIMAX OF THE FILM.

berzeli

Banned
You want to know why streaming will NEVER be better than owning a disc? Because when you're watching a movie, the disc probably won't just to decide to stop playing when there's 3 FUCKING MINUTES LEFT IN THE CLIMAX OF THE FILM.
Literally what happened to me whilst watching Touch of Evil on blu-ray. (It had a tiny scratch which I'd missed)

berzeli

Banned
I'm trying to make a point here :|
Sorry, just what always springs to mind when someone talks about ruined climaxes. (no, not that kind, get your mind out of the gutter)

The one advantage discs have that I really get annoyed by is that they don't randomly change quality level just for the kicks. Some streaming services are terribad when it comes to that. HBO Nordic used to be nigh unusable because of that.

Literally what happened to me whilst watching Touch of Evil on blu-ray. (It had a tiny scratch which I'd missed)

I'm trying to make a point here :|

A+ would laugh again

Didn't early DVDs use to freeze a lot? I have horrible memories of renting movies and constantly dealing with freezing issues. Could also just be assholes scratching up discs I guess.

I'm finding FilmStruck's streaming quality not bad but also not great. Also, it's paused to buffer three times now (I'm at work, and our internet service is crazy fast.) I'm hoping these are just launch pains that will be ironed out shortly.

Top Bottom