• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

omgkitty

I'm finding FilmStruck's streaming quality not bad but also not great. Also, it's paused to buffer three times now (I'm at work, and our internet service is crazy fast.) I'm hoping these are just launch pains that will be ironed out shortly.

Filmstruck worked perfectly fine for me until the very end (see above) around the time it appears they reopened the site for sign ups, so I'd have to assume the high traffic volume is what caused the slowness. Other than that, I had a consistently high bitrate and I thought it looked great.

omgkitty

Looks like we may get a Fassbinder set:

Alpha.jpg
Alpha.jpg

The Barnes and Noble website is always really weird on me. Laggy and unresponsive at times. Anyways, I got the Del Toro trilogy, Like Someone in Love, Love Streams, and Woman in the Dunes. I'll get Punchdrunk Love and the Kurosawa before the sale ends.

Also, I'm kinda bummed out that the Filmstruck Apple Tv app won't be available till December, but I got the ios app and I guess I can just airplay stuff. I'm really impressed with the service so far. Didn't realize that the Criterion catalogue will have some of the special features as well. Very cool.

TheFlow

Banned
hugocésar;222588611 said:
The Barnes and Noble website is always really weird on me. Laggy and unresponsive at times. Anyways, I got the Del Toro trilogy, Like Someone in Love, Love Streams, and Woman in the Dunes. I'll get Punchdrunk Love and the Kurosawa before the sale ends.

Also, I'm kinda bummed out that the Filmstruck Apple Tv app won't be available till December, but I got the ios app and I guess I can just airplay stuff. I'm really impressed with the service so far. Didn't realize that the Criterion catalogue will have some of the special features as well. Very cool.

booooooooooo. guess it will be the same for ps4? I am waiting till the app comes through

lordxar

The selection on Filmstruck is amazing. I was digging around a bit this morning and I'm loving it...if only the damn thing had a ps4 or Chromecast ability I'd be ready to go. Not enjoying the thought of sitting at my pc to watch stuff or on my phone. I might try casting from Chrome on my pc to see how that goes. I'm very tempted to just unsub until they make it useful for me but then again there's so much cool stuff to check out.

Filmstruck having special features is worth the price of the service alone, in my opinion. More streaming services need that or other extras

omgkitty

The selection on Filmstruck is amazing. I was digging around a bit this morning and I'm loving it...if only the damn thing had a ps4 or Chromecast ability I'd be ready to go. Not enjoying the thought of sitting at my pc to watch stuff or on my phone. I might try casting from Chrome on my pc to see how that goes. I'm very tempted to just unsub until they make it useful for me but then again there's so much cool stuff to check out.

Yeah I watched The Executioner on my laptop last night. I actually have a monitor, but when I would maximize the window, it only filled the top left quarter of the screen and blacked out the rest. Couldn't even see the entire picture. Very strange. Had to watch it on the laptop screen instead. I don't mind watching stuff on my computer if I can watch on the monitor since it's a decent size and I sit close enough, but having that issue kinda sucks. I'd probably still subscribe anyways since I'm a sucker, but since I was in the beta, I get free access through the end of the year.

SeanC

Holding out for Chromecast support. Otherwise, I like what I see and it'll likely grow more.

Need to wrap up a few Hulu Criterion watches before it departs, though.

I need to get to B&N too. 80% off with all my stuff combined is too good to pass up.

I wish I didn't love movies sometimes...I'm still backlogged of the last B&N sale.

XShagrath

I need to get to B&N too. 80% off with all my stuff combined is too good to pass up.
How are you figuring 80% off? Even with 50% off + 10% members + 20% coupon, that's not 80% off, it's actually 64% off.

The way things are calculated is:

50% off retail - 10% off the discounted price - 20% off that discounted price

$40 - 50% = $20 - 10% = $18 - 20% = $14.40

Still an outstanding deal, but don't fool yourself and think that it's actually 80% off, which would make it an $8 purchase.

Are B&N even accepting coupons for Criterions anymore? I remember last sale they wouldn't take any. Which sucks cuz I have two 20% off coupons sitting at home.

Norfair

Only time I saw that happen was with very scratched up discs (or awful DVD players).

I used to have this happen to me a few times. (Most notably there's a chapter in The Life Aquatic that I always had to skip and Jackie Brown would always lock up 2/3rds of the way through.)

They were always perfect DVDs (I returned a few of them for replacements but the new one would also have a problem) but I think I just had an older DVD player that didn't always work with newer disks.

SeanC

The coupons don't stack. They apply it to the total.

But you aren't stacking. It's the sale + discount and you use one coupon. Worked last time for me. Nothing on the coupon says it can't be used during a sale or on criterions that I see.

Edit: Ok from what I've seen it's hit and miss depending on the store. The store was good for me last time, we'll see about this time but I got stuff pretty damn cheap the last Sale.

I told myself that I was done for the rest of year on buying blu's, but the Del Toro trilogy is going to be hard to pass up, especially at half off.

On another note, Arrow has finally dispatched my order from their sale last month. It looks like I unknowingly bought Shivers for the second time, I assume that I didn't realize that it was in my cart. Oh well.

omgkitty

It looks like stuff is getting added to FilmStruck as time goes on. I've seen more stuff go up between last night and today so if you checked and missed something, it may be up now.

XShagrath

How so? I got that last sale I thought, blu rays for 8-13 bucks.
You must have some magic B&N then, because that's now how their system (or any PoS system) applies discounts and coupons. The cheapest I've ever gotten them is $12.60 by using the 30% off Black Friday coupon. I've heard of people getting them for $10 using the "$8 off $40" coupon, although that's a little bit more 'shady', since the Criterions are technically $39.99.

Out of curiousity, where are you at?

Went to Barnes and Noble today to grab the Del Toro Trilogy and walked out with not only it, but The Red Shoes, Ikiru, High and Low, In the Mood for Love, Days of Heaven, Rashomon, and The Seventh Seal.

I have a Blu-ray addiction.

Went to Barnes and Noble today to grab the Del Toro Trilogy and walked out with not only it, but The Red Shoes, Ikiru, High and Low, In the Mood for Love, Days of Heaven, Rashomon, and The Seventh Seal.

Awesome picks. I'm particularly fond of Ikiru, High and Low, and Rashomon. Rashomon in particular I love to analyze to this day.

Also, guess what I found on my doorstep when I got home from work today, GAF?

dekalog.jpg

I've been waiting for so long. I finally get to experience this!

Edit: shit, the booklet even comes with a short introduction written by Kubrick. Hype rising.

Steamlord

The Red Shoes and Ikiru are tenouttaten and the rest aren't far behind.

Last sale I grabbed Dr. Strangelove, Muriel, and A Touch of Zen. This time I'll probably wait until later in the month before I buy anything. Thinking about filling out my Chaplin, Kurosawa, or Ozu collections this time.

Fake edit: Oh shit, Synapse's Phenomena steelbook is available for preorder! Guess I won't be buying as many Criterion releases this month as I thought... Now to wait for Suspiria.

Well at least you fueled your addiction with some excellent choices.

Mumei

Are B&N even accepting coupons for Criterions anymore? I remember last sale they wouldn't take any. Which sucks cuz I have two 20% off coupons sitting at home.

I bought The Kid last night at my local B&N just using my membership discount, and the man at the counter attempted to sell me a copy of the Del Toro set. I declined (I'm getting a coupon!), and he told me about a man who had asked for a copy earlier that night and gotten it with a 20 percent off coupon he'd brought in, for around $39.

So, at least in that store for whatever coupon he brought in it was accepted.

On the other hand, I just tried using a 20 percent off coupon I got in my e-mail today online and it wouldn't let me. I'll try using it in store tomorrow and see how it goes.

Awesome picks. I'm particularly fond of Ikiru, High and Low, and Rashomon. Rashomon in particular I love to analyze to this day.

The Red Shoes and Ikiru are tenouttaten and the rest aren't far behind.

Last sale I grabbed Dr. Strangelove, Muriel, and A Touch of Zen. This time I'll probably wait until later in the month before I buy anything. Thinking about filling out my Chaplin, Kurosawa, or Ozu collections this time.

Fake edit: Oh shit, Synapse's Phenomena steelbook is available for preorder! Guess I won't be buying as many Criterion releases this month as I thought... Now to wait for Suspiria.

Well at least you fueled your addiction with some excellent choices.

Yeah I'm fairly excited about my picks. I haven't seen Ikiru, The Red Shoes, In the Mood for Love, High and Low, or Days of Heaven. Their reputations speak for themselves though.

I've decided to hold on the Phenomena steelbook for now, but will probably grab the standard release when it inevitably comes. Suspiria though, can have all of my money.

Yeah I'm fairly excited about my picks. I haven't seen Ikiru, The Red Shoes, In the Mood for Love, High and Low, or Days of Heaven. Their reputations speak for themselves though.

I've decided to hold on the Phenomena steelbook for now, but will probably grab the standard release when it inevitably comes. Suspiria though, can have all of my money.
Days of Heaven is the best movie of all time and the blu ray looks stunning.

Kvik

New Criterions get!

Lone Wolf & Cub
Woman in the Dunes
Vengeance Is Mine

Slim pickings, but I'm still going through my Zatoichi boxset from last sale! :p

Scream Factory released the specs for Black Christmas. We've got a new scan from the negative, original mono audio, and a ton of extra's. It looks like another winner for them in a year full of winners.

**BLACK CHRISTMAS UPDATE***
The holidays are just around the corner and we’ll celebrating it in terrifying style with our upcoming 2-disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray release of Bob Clark’s original BLACK CHRISTMAS. Please read on below for our final list of extras and specs:

DISC 1:

• NEW 2016 2K scan of the negative (1.85:1) – DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono
• Audio Commentary with director Bob Clark
• Audio Commentary with actors John Saxon and Keir Dullea
• Audio Commentary with Billy (actor Nick Mancuso)
• Audio interview with director Bob Clark

DISC 2:

• 2006 Critical Mass HD Master (1.78:1) – DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• NEW Film and Furs – Remembering Black Christmas with Art Hindle
• NEW Victims and Virgins – Remembering Black Christmas with Lynne Griffin
• Black Christmas Legacy
• 40th Anniversary Panel at FanExpo 2014 featuring John Saxon, Art Hindle, Lynne Griffin & Nick Mancuso
• On Screen!: Black Christmas featurette
• 12 Days of Black Christmas featurette
• Black Christmas Revisited featurette
• Archival Interviews with Olivia Hussey, Art Hindle, Margot Kidder, Bob Clark, & John Saxon
• Midnight Screening Q&A with Bob Clark, John Saxon and Carl Zittrer
• Two scenes with a new vocal soundtrack
• Original Theatrical Trailers (English and French)
• Original TV and Radio Spots
• Alternative Title Sequences
• Still Gallery
Official street date is December 13th but if you pre-order directly from us you’ll get it shipped early plus receive an exclusive 18” x 24” poster of the newly-commissioned artwork (while supplies last). Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/black...ctor-s-…

Special note: We do want to address our new transfer specifically here to manage expectations. Our 2K scan was made from the original film negative and retains the grain and softness you would have seen during its original release in 1974. We have not applied any digital noise reduction and restored the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio used in US theaters. Unfortunately, the negative had suffered some damage over the years but we have spent a lot of extra resources / costs to clean it up the best we could. We’re pleased with our results and hope you will enjoy the presentation.
In our efforts to make sure our overall release could be as comprehensive and definitive as possible, we have also included the prior HD version on Disc 2 (and corrected some audio sync issues it had) for those who may prefer it’s 1.78 aspect ratio.
Thank you for your support as always!

IronRinn

Well FilmStruck has Come and See and it's listed as Criterion. Guess I have to watch it now.
Wait, what!? Oh man, I wonder if it's remastered. I re-watched it recently on Amazon and it was the SD version.

Edit: Signed up for a trial. Damn, might give it a look, see if they cleaned it up. I wonder if they will be doing a physical release.

Edit edit: Watched a couple of minutes. Doesn't seem to have been cleaned up.

I was disappointed to see that Hard Eight isn't listed under Criterion when browsing Filmstruck. I would love to see that get high end treatment or at least have a leak that it's coming.

omgkitty

I was disappointed to see that Hard Eight isn't listed under Criterion when browsing Filmstruck. I would love to see that get high end treatment or at least have a leak that it's coming.

It might be Criterion. There's a lot of stuff Criterion that isn't showing the icon.

lordxar

It might be Criterion. There's a lot of stuff Criterion that isn't showing the icon.

I noticed that too. Makes me think their cheating and bolstering the non Criterion catalog a bit. I don't really give a shit to be honest. I was considering dropping it until I can cast it but after sitting in bed last night and watching quite a few extras I'm hooked. I will just have to go a little out of my way to view it.

IronRinn

First round of B&N sale:

Carnival of Souls
Harakiri
Ikaru
Diabolique

Will be halfway through the stuff I want by the time the inevitable 4K UHD editions start coming out.

Top Bottom