• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

TheFlow

Banned
I am going to pick up Dreams next week and maybe the colors trilogy.

Finally caved and started my Criterion collection. I love the quality of the phsycial cases and love how they come with cool pamphlets and other goodies. The Godzilla one is so cool. These are first time watches for me except Mr.Fox which I haven't seen in 6 years.

I am trying out the Filmstruck trial, and my first film was "A Brighter Summer Day"

Holy shit, the only thing I knew about the moving going into it was that it was directed by Edward Yang (director for Yi Yi), so I was expecting something along those lines. It couldn't have been more different and delicious; it is mostly about a bitter rivalry between two street gangs run by children.

The number of amateur child actors in the movie impresses me even more. Highly recommend this film to all if you can stand 4 hours of greatness.

I am sooo tempted to re-start my physical collection with this movie, but I haven't bought any blu-rays for a while thanks to streaming services.

TheFlow

Banned
I am trying out the Filmstruck trial, and my first film was "A Brighter Summer Day"

Holy shit, the only thing I knew about the moving going into it was that it was directed by Edward Yang (director for Yi Yi), so I was expecting something along those lines. I couldn't have been more different and delicious; it is mostly about a bitter rivalry between two street gangs run by children.

The number of amateur child actors in the movie impresses me even more. Highly recommend this film to all if you can stand 4 hours of greatness.

I am sooo tempted to re-start my physical collection with this movie, but I haven't bought any blu-rays for a while thanks to streaming services.

sold at director of "YiYi_

cj_iwakura

I picked up The Killing, blind buy.

Kubrick and Sterling Hayden? That's insta-get territory.

Might pick up The Lady Vanishes before the month's up.

cj_iwakura

Wow. The Killing was fantastic, except for that bit with the racial slur. Ouch. I know why he did it, and it worked, but damn. Harsh.

I've always loved Mulholland Dr. and Videodrome, but for some reason they weren't part of my library. I fixed that with the current B&N sale. Beautiful editions.

berzeli

Banned
The Man Who Fell to Earth is actually getting a US release this January.
61rrYxzySVL._SL1500_.jpg

So who knows, maybe Lionsgate will also release Ran and The Third Man or some of the other vintage Studiocanal titles (they won't).
Looks like the Arrow version of the Dekalog is close to selling out, so if you planned on picking it up, do it now.
Was going to post this yesterday, but wanted to wait until my copy shipped (it did).

Apparently there isn't a panic situation right now since Amazon allegedly has a bunch of copies left. But you know, better saffe than sorry.
edit: actual response from Arrow regarding copies and stock level
3, 000.

Amazon still has a healthy amount, while Zavvi and HMV are very low. We didn't allocate a huge amount to our own store.

Ridley327

Judging by what's going up on the phantom pages, there will be much hyperventilating with regards to the February announcements, including a certain trilogy.

Zombine

Banned
I am going to pick up Dreams next week and maybe the colors trilogy.

Finally caved and started my Criterion collection. I love the quality of the phsycial cases and love how they come with cool pamphlets and other goodies. The Godzilla one is so cool. These are first time watches for me except Mr.Fox which I haven't seen in 6 years.

You done good, Flow. Really nice entry into Criterion. You need Seven Samurai & Brazil now. Also, Seven Samurai.

Top Bottom