• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cursed Crusade |OT|

Volcynika

svAxa.png

rbLBo.png

Set against the backdrop of the Old World, two adventurers (both seasoned warriors) will quest across a Western Europe ablaze with the turmoil of a newly begun Fourth Crusade.

Denz, a holy Templar, and Esteban, a roguish mercenary, may have different origins, but their motivations are the same: amidst the danger and despair of a new Crusade, they must find the means to deliver themselves from a terrible curse that threatens to consume their immortal souls.

oVNvF.png

• Platforms: PC (DD only in NA), PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 *Demo Available (minus PC)*
  • Developer: Kylotonn Entertainment
  • Publishers: NA: Atlus USA | EU: dtp Entertainment
  • Modes: Single-Player, 2 Player Co-op (Online , Local SplitScreen)
  • Release Dates: NA: October 25th, 2011 | EU: October 7th, 2011

DMW6D.gif
UTe7N.png

Hxr3a.png

• Live intense combat sequences in third person view, in the heart of Crusaders’ army.

• Get more than 130 weapons of all kinds: axes, blades, crossbows …

• Experience the Templar’s Curse through the nightmarish Hell Vision!

• Provide your character with new armors and equipment, and upgrade his skills mission after mission!

• Give orders to Esteban Noviembre in the single player mode, or team up with another player in a cooperative mode to accomplish your mission!

• Travel through 40 distinct environments: from 12th Century Europe to the Byzantine Empire, from France to Syria, via Venice in Italy and Zara in Croatia!

• The most famous monuments and places re-created in 3D exact copies, from Hagia Sophia to Theodosius Walls, and the Constantine racecourse

K22SF.png

frer2.jpg

9u0Jj.jpg

q7K6x.jpg

VoYZy.jpg

6Og6Z.jpg

yquGI.jpg

4iSIC.jpg

oXMjK.jpg

x4wtD.jpg

aa66N.jpg

zSbHf.jpg

JutqC.jpg

lUOrf.png

s57UW.png

dakgn.png

IGN: 4/10
Eurogamer: 4/10
GameSpot: 3/10

Major props to notworksafe and miladesn!
*Important Note* This is not the thread to discuss/complain about what a company publishes! Please take that somewhere else. :)

Aeana

Thanks for putting a release date.
Lots of really huge multi post OTs lately that included everything from the manual but for some reason forgot to mention when the game is even coming out.

NeededSleep

Im very curious about this game. Are there any previews out there for this? Not sure if ill be getting it day one though, my backlog is too damn huge at this point. Which sucks because i love supporting good developers/publishers.

Volcynika

NeededSleep said:
Im very curious about this game. Are there any previews out there for this? Not sure if ill be getting it day one though, my backlog is too damn huge at this point. Which sucks because i love supporting good developers/publishers.

I'll work on finding some previews maybe later today. I know one of the people at Siliconera really enjoyed playing it at E3, for what it's worth.

Hesemonni said:
Can this be good? I'm hoping it to be good, but I fear it to be mediocre at best :/

I'm not sure it'll set the world on fire, but I love me a co-op hack and slash.

Oh yeah, really couldn't find a section to put this, but NA MSRP is $39.99. A nifty price!

notworksafe

Co-op plus a cheap price on release both have me interested in this! Too bad it got delayed until the end of the month in the US. :(

Tailzo said:
Totally forgot about this. Still not sure why I should care.
I suppose if you "should" care is really something you'll have to decide for yourself. The game looks like a fun hack and slash with a good story and good co-op (online and offline) so that's enough for me to be interested.

Watch the trailers and see if anything sparks your interest, I suppose.

Tailzo

notworksafe said:
Co-op plus a cheap price on release both have me interested in this! Too bad it got delayed until the end of the month in the US. :(

I suppose if you "should" care is really something you'll have to decide for yourself. The game looks like a fun hack and slash with a good story and good co-op (online and offline) so that's enough for me to be interested.

Watch the trailers and see if anything sparks your interest, I suppose.
Co op, fun and hack'n slash is reason enough to care for me. Thanks :)

Scythian

Looks interesting. Too bad it will get drowned beneath all the other major releases this fall.
Will it come to Steam? If so, I hope it gets a discount on the holiday sale, I think that's the only way I'll buy it.

Volcynika

Scythian said:
Looks interesting. Too bad it will get drowned beneath all the other major releases this fall.
Will it come to Steam? If so, I hope it gets a discount on the holiday sale, I think that's the only way I'll buy it.

Yup. From Atlus USA's Twitter:

Check out the new Story trailer for #CursedCrusade now scheduled for Oct 25 for #PS3 #XBOX360 and #PC on #Steam http://bit.ly/ocdif3 #atlus

Not sure when it'll be put on the store though, there's only a trailer for it.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I kept confusing this game with The last Templar for some odd reason.

Anywho this game looks interesting, I want to watch some type of quick look to see of this is any good.

mjc

Sweet that 360/PS3 is getting a demo tomorrow. I've had my eye on this one for a lloooooooooong time now.

Ricker

AwesomeSauce said:
I kept confusing this game with The last Templar for some odd reason.

Anywho this game looks interesting, I want to watch some type of quick look to see of this is any good.

You mean the First Templar ...? because this reminds me of the First Templar,that was surprisingly decent,but with better graphics...

Xander51

I'm definitely going to check out the demo. In spite of that Eurogamer review I think I might still like this. Happy to hear that the US is getting the PC version, I was afraid it was only coming to consoles here.

Volcynika

PS Blog says demo is up in NA:

The Cursed Crusade Demo
Set against the backdrop of the Old World, two adventurers will quest across a Western Europe ablaze with the turmoil of a newly begun Fourth Crusade. Denz, a holy Templar, and Esteban, a roguish mercenary, may have different origins, but their motivations are the same: amidst the danger and despair of a new Crusade, to find the means to deliver themselves from a terrible curse that threatens to consume their immortal souls.
ESRB rated M
File size 740 MB

Volcynika

Downloaded it and played it.

Seems like a co-op focused affair, a few QTE/partner based stuff in it. Short demo though, beat it in about 20 minutes. Demo does not include the hellish fighting stuff, but you can co-op in the demo.

I streamed my terribleness, and you can see an archive here.

Seems like a basic hack 'n slash, which is what I wanted. Now just gotta hope for the netcode to be good!

Xander51

I tried the demo on 360, it was...fine. I really enjoy the detailing in the models and textures, but the animations seem kind of stiff. The combat also seems a bit unresponsive and is more prone to button mashing than precision.

This shouldn't be releasing when it is. It'd be a great early summer game.

I just finished the demo and thought it was okay. I wanted to like it more then I did and I just felt there were some serious issues. The camera annoyed me the entire time and usually felt too close and was prone to getting shoved up or down from corners or something. Seemed like it was moving around too much considering how little control you have over it and most of the fixed angles were more annoying then anything.

I enjoyed the combat. It seems to found a nice spot between something like demon's souls slow deliberate combat and the faster pace of a typical hack and slash. My main concern is just how often those finishing animations repeat. It seems like each weapon / set of weapons only has one and they repeat constantly. Of course the shooting felt terrible. I loved the weapon system and playing around with the different combinations was fun.

The highlight was the setting, story and characters. From what little was in the demo I found all of it much more interesting then I thought I would.

I'll probably pick it up down the line for cheap hoping the demo was a poor representation of the final product. I don't know, seems like a good game is in there but damn if some of the problems do a good job of hiding it.

.hacked

Just got done with the X360 demo, played it split screen coop and we both enjoyed it. I dig the setting and the combat was fun. Look forward to the retail release.

Grisby

Ha, saw this demo up on the 360 and was wondering what the game was about. Low and behold a OT is created the moment I start wondering about this game. Will keep an eye on it for impressions.

Good thread OP!

Tizoc

What does this game play like exactly? I can't seem to find a video that best showcases what the gameplay is like @_@

Volcynika

Tizoc said:
What does this game play like exactly? I can't seem to find a video that best showcases what the gameplay is like @_@

Co-op hack and slash. I posted an archive of my stream of the demo a couple posts up. There are combos and such, multiple weapon combinations (just sword/sword and mace/sword and shield/etc.), and finish moves. You also have events where you have to work and do QTE stuff with your co-op partner (who can be controlled by AI, or you play split-screen offline, or online). There are certain times when you 'activate the curse' and fight looking all demonic and such, but I can't speak on that since the demo doesn't offer a chance to try that.

Tizoc

Thanks, that raised my interest in the game, but I dunno if it'll be at a price drop or within the next few weeks >_<

xclaw

Just figured I'd give this another bump, I hadn't heard a thing about this game until it popped up on the psn as a demo. I enjoyed the two play troughs and it's only retailing at 40$ here so I'll definitely be getting it. A good ol fashioned hack n slash with what seems to be somewhat of a twist which they don't let you get to taste in the demo. Gameplay was solid enough that I feel it's worth checking out.

It's defiantly not triple A but I loved every minute I was playing it. I'd love to hear some feedback from the people that already have it.

Einbroch

Banned
Dr Eggman said:
Is the combat that bad?
Awful. Jam attack to win. Maybe it was just the demo, but I went on the hardest difficulty and never got hit. Just SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE OH SNAP FINISHER x 100.

Weapon system is kinda cool I guess? Except that it doesn't matter.

Volcynika said:
Not lately, haven't seen too many come out. Or maybe I'm blind to the ones that have been released!

Off the top of my head I'd take Viking: Battle for Asgard over what I've played of Cursed Crusade.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Never heard of this. Downloaded the demo on the 360 and the "twist" at the end made my interest for the game peak a little bit.

Will buy when it's on Steam for like 7,50.

I liked the demo enough, although it was rough around the edges. Still, it has that "something" that makes me want to try it out more.

Guy at EB games looked at me when I was crazy, and asked if I wasn't sure I wanted a copy of Battlefield 3.

I simply said, "What's a battle?"

Salazar

Kerrby said:
Not available in Australia, that's one way to get me to buy the game.

Now available in Australia.

Grabbed it this morning, as I am pretty amenable to unpolished hack and slashers.

The_Monk

I have a friend that keeps talking about this game and even saying that he want to get this game to play co-op so I have to game too, etc.

Is there any co-op and how progress stuff goes in it?

I could give a try with him next year for a really low price...

Volcynika

The_Monk said:
I have a friend that keeps talking about this game and even saying that he want to get this game to play co-op so I have to game too, etc.

Is there any co-op and how progress stuff goes in it?

I could give a try with him next year for a really low price...

Entire game is co-op as far as I know. Local and online. Otherwise you play with AI.

Top Bottom