• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Gun segment was nuts. I wanna try the simulation. I would fail so hard!

Probably the most indirectly informative segment of the new show. Great work by the team there.

I used to religiously watch the show, now i'll catch one a week or two. I gave noah a chance but in the end it dawned on me that i was mostly watching for jon's jewish impressions and chastising the crowd for laughing too much at the pun graphics. Dude just had an unmatched humor about him that always made me never want to miss an episode. The writing now is the same as it was back then but trevor just is not as entertaining. I hope he gets better but for now im out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah the gun segment was really good. That's a classic Daily Show field piece there.

linsivvi

I found Trevor pretty funny. His humor is different, but still funny. He interacts very well with the respondents too.

What he seriously need to work on is his interviewing skills. All he does is fawn over his guests and sometimes there are even brief moments of dead air. It's season 1 Jon Stewart bad, perhaps worse.

But then celebrity interviews have always been the worst part of the Daily Show so I just let it run in the background unless there's an interesting question.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I used to religiously watch the show, now i'll catch one a week or two. I gave noah a chance but in the end it dawned on me that i was mostly watching for jon's jewish impressions and chastising the crowd for laughing too much at the pun graphics. Dude just had an unmatched humor about him that always made me never want to miss an episode. The writing now is the same as it was back then but trevor just is not as entertaining. I hope he gets better but for now im out.

i can see that. the writing is there, but the entertainment value isnt nearly what it used to be. Noah does a good job of delivering the jokes, but doesnt have much of his own comedic added value at the moment

MartyStu

i can see that. the writing is there, but the entertainment value isnt nearly what it used to be. Noah does a good job of delivering the jokes, but doesnt have much of his own comedic added value at the moment

I think that is not entirely true.

He has a pretty good new palate of impressions. And his African perspective is nice to have every once in a while.

He needs to firm up, but I think he is doing very well.

And after last night's episode, I gotta say, the correspondents are doing much better now.

gabbo

Kleper is going to be the next 'big' correspondent, they way they're pushing him, and how he's doing bits that are all over the place in terms of style.

Fusebox

Banned

Yeah, sounds like you were enjoying TDS for the wrong reasons to me. I'm loving Trev, he's on the right track, hitting all the right notes for me. I'm kind of glad I don't have to watch Jon fake-chuckling behind his notes anymore when he used to flub a joke.

The Nightly Show took a while to grow on me that's for sure but now Larry is my connection to all things black and I love his teams perspective.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So is it just me or was tonight's audio out of sync?. Watching the pst episode right now and everyone sounds like they're talking with a voiceover.

RoKKeR

I love Trevor's Carson impression. The Nigerian prince bit was great too.

And holy shit that focus group was terrifying. Klepper has been great recently.

Crud

Banned
rofl @ that Klepper focus group

It really made me upset tbh. The dude in the blue shirt when asked why he's voting for Trump had no answer. He just sat there with his mouth open unable to think for himself. Why?

Fucking tired of morons voting.

Yeah, sounds like you were enjoying TDS for the wrong reasons to me. I'm loving Trev, he's on the right track, hitting all the right notes for me. I'm kind of glad I don't have to watch Jon fake-chuckling behind his notes anymore when he used to flub a joke.
Haha i always loved when that happened, organic moments in comedy are the best. It wasn't fake, it was the self deprecative laughter of a comic knowing he bombed on tv in front of millions of people

Nelo Ice

Banned
It really made me upset tbh. The dude in the blue shirt when asked why he's voting for Trump had no answer. He just sat there with his mouth open unable to think for himself. Why?

Fucking tired of morons voting.

Seriously. Or not voting. If you're voting for republicans it's like do you even know what you're supporting?. And same thing if you don't vote.

davepoobond

If Klepper keeps it up he will probably be the next Colbert on the show. I wouldn't mind seeing him do something goofy/satire as a show

i'm not trolling or saying jon sucks, its just inevitable that on a comedy program not every single joke will be a winner. how much scripted setup -> punchline material do u want to hear.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
By going back to one of the older formats the Daily Show used to have, and then tweaking it to suit the current team has really helped.

You can see the Nightly Show doing some of the same things. The debate segment the other night was a retooled Even Stephen, and had me dying. It looks like they're both digging through old Daily Show bits and seeing which one works for what show/cast.

gabbo

You can see the Nightly Show doing some of the same things. The debate segment the other night was a retooled Even Stephen, and had me dying. It looks like they're both digging through old Daily Show bits and seeing which one works for what show/cast.

Which night of the week? I've basically stopped watching Nightly Show episodes, so if it's getting better, I'd love to take another look.

davepoobond

Which night of the week? I've basically stopped watching Nightly Show episodes, so if it's getting better, I'd love to take another look.

i believe it was Wednesday's episode

"Pardon the Integration" was the name of the segment

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jordan Klepper is basically playing the same role as Jason Jones and in my opinion he's better at it.

Ronny Chieng on the other hand is just terribly unfunny.

Haven't seen Roy for a while or maybe I missed it.

Jordan Klepper is legitimately funny, he's honestly probably my favorite correspondent.

dani_dc

Jordan Klepper is basically playing the same role as Jason Jones and in my opinion he's better at it.

Disagree on him being better than Jason, but he's been doing a good job.

Only segment I saw off Ronny was the voting segment, thought it had a good premise but not only did I find him unfunny, the ending being about mobile application made little sense in context.

gabbo

Disagree on him being better than Jason, but he's been doing a good job.

Only segment I saw off Ronny was the voting segment, thought it had a good premise but not only did I find him unfunny, the ending being about mobile application made little sense in context.

I don't think Jason Jone and Klepper are playing the same 'role' to be honest. Jones started out aping Colbert and ended up 'just not giving a fuck' and playing it basically straight faced and snide (or most of the time anyway). Klepper is like if Colbert's character was unaware that he was a conservative and when actually confronted with it, is afraid of being labeled as such and runs away from it

linsivvi

I don't think Jason Jone and Klepper are playing the same 'role' to be honest. Jones started out aping Colbert and ended up 'just not giving a fuck' and playing it basically straight faced and snide (or most of the time anyway). Klepper is like if Colbert's character was unaware that he was a conservative and when actually confronted with it, is afraid of being labeled as such and runs away from it

Well I was more talking about the comedy style of being a goofball, but yeah if you look at the characters they are very different.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Ronny Chieng is the only dud from the new guys, everyone else is really good.

linsivvi

Ronny Chieng is the only dud from the new guys, everyone else is really good.

Yeah every other correspondent old and new is pretty great right now. I am happy that they are trying to diversify even more, but hopefully they can find a better comedian or Ronny gets better.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Agreed. I like all of the correspondents new and old except for Ronnie.
He is awful in every possible way. None of his 'jokes' are funny and I can rarely ever understand him. I hope they ditch him.
The guy wouldn't even be good enough for SNL and that's saying A LOT.

I find Ronny funny, in a deliberately unfunny sort of way. He's so utterly noncomedic that it loops back around to being hilarious. So Bad He's Good, basically.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
His delivery can be a little rough at times, but I also think some of his segments have just been poorly written, and that's generally not on him.

Lol the title of this thread (The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass) just makes me think of this:

5PHSAsr.jpg

danielcw

THE SHOW IS BACK!

Guests for the week beginning on the 4th of January, 2016
  • Monday: David Cross, actor & comedian
  • Tuesday: Ryan Coogler, director
  • Wednesday: David J. Peterson, author
  • Thursday: Dalia Mogahed, quote:
    DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH AT THE INSTITUTE FOR SOCIAL POLICY AND UNDERSTANDING

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I like the new stand-up format for the opening! Are they keeping it or was that a one-off?

I guess Trevor and the team is experimenting with the format to figure out what feels good to him. The change back to the desk felt a little abrupt, like they just switched halfway through for no reason.

I've always felt that the show feels a bit like Trevor is riding on Stewart's legacy a little too hard, so having him experiment with the format is a good thing imo.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What lows will they sink to next? Maybe they'll put a couch on the set then take it away and then put it back and the take it away again.

You know, really drive home that they have no clue what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom