• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimbusD

danielcw

Guests for the week beginning on the 2nd of November, 2015
  • Monday: Fareed Zakaria, author and TV host
  • Tuesday: Gloria Steinem, author and activist
  • Wednesday: David Holbrooke, director
  • Thursday: Regina King, actor

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That entire opening segment might be the worst of the (edit: new) show so far.
Especially considering the fodder hand delivered by Republicans last week.

They really spent close to 10 minutes on the semantics of the United States use of the word combat?

Yes, there are combat operations in Syria and Iraq. But it's not an occupying force like we tried in Iraq. The administration is hesitant to call it that, because people will assume it's like the bullshit we did with Iraq.

Honestly, it's what we should have been doing instead of that whole business in Iraq. Targeted combat missions based on intelligence gathering.

Poking fun at their hesitation to call it "combat" is amusing and reasonable, it's standard PR bullshit, but to spend 10 minutes on it?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, if they had just broadcast tonight's episode (11/3/15) last night...

Now I have to take back my last post.

That was my major takeaway from the republican debate last week, that segment nailed it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tonight will now be a rerun, Noah had to get an emergency appendectomy. They expect him to be able to do tomorrow's show.

Silexx

They couldn't get Jessica Williams or Roy Wood Jr to fill in?

I think it was too sudden for them to be able to have a fill-in ready to go. Jon's tenure had times when he was too sick to do the show and they went with a rerun. Only times they had someone fill in was when it was foreseen (e.g. birth of his children, directing Rosewater and a scheduled surgery.)

cameron

The Daily Show
‏@TheDailyShow
TONIGHT! The premiere of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah without Trevor Noah's Appendix.
YubuWB1.jpg
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/662419611229495296

danielcw

Guests for the week of the 9th of November, 2015:
  • Monday: Pras, musician
  • Tuesday: Dan Price, foudner and CEO of Gravity Payments
  • Wednesday: Paul Bettany, actor, writer & director
  • Thursday: Christine and the Queens, musician

Apt101

After a few weeks, I have to say, Noah has to assert himself. He feels like a substitute teacher at this point. Do your fucking thing man.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Do you guys not just use paper ballots with a box to check?

Each state is responsible for their own voting systems. So some do and some don't. And even if we do have have checkboxes or something similar we have machines that need to read and count the ballots. They don't get read by hand. Most of the machines in this segment actually looked like ballot counting machines.

gabbo

Each state is responsible for their own voting systems. So some do and some don't. And even if we do have have checkboxes or something similar we have machines that need to read and count the ballots. They don't get read by hand. Most of the machines in this segment actually looked like ballot counting machines.

Ah, see I misunderstood a good chunk of that segment as 'we vote ON these' not 'these tally your votes'

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ah, see I misunderstood a good chunk of that segment as 'we vote ON these' not 'these tally your votes'

Maybe some of them were. But the ones that were waist high that he tried to fuck looked like counting machines to me. And I'm pretty sure i saw some paper ballots.

Suikoguy

Which is bullshit.

It should be mandated that each state meets a minimum standard. Either electronic voting machine that prints a ballot that gets submitted. Or a paper ballot that is filled out then scanned.

Then, if there are any questions or it's a close race, you have a paper trail. You can also randomly audit results. Voters can also verify their vote on the paper before they submit it.

On another note, the FreeJeb/BlackFish comparison and campaign was great.

danielcw

Guests for the week of the 16th of November, 2015:
  • Monday: David Holbrooke, director
  • Tuesday: Timbaland, music producer & author
  • Wednesday: Ted Koppel, journalist & author
  • Thursday is as of yet not announced

RoKKeR

Really nice opening moment last night, well put. Good to see he can handle situations like these with respect and insight.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So how's Noah been doing? I haven't watched much of the show recently.

He's been doing just fine. The writing staff is still top notch. Personally I wish he would stop laughing at his own jokes but it looks like he's having a good time. For as much as I love Jon everyone could tell by the end that he was really tired of climbing bullshit mountain.

Trevor's biggest weakness is his interviewing skills. I'm sure he will improve over time.

Fusebox

Banned
Really nice opening moment last night, well put. Good to see he can handle situations like these with respect and insight.

Yep, was curious to see how he handled his first big event since taking the reigns, he did a great job, very classy.

So how's Noah been doing? I haven't watched much of the show recently.

It's ok, but (naturally) not near Jon Stewarts yet. He doing a fine job, but needs to add a bit more personality and confidence to the show, which he will in time. Right now you really spot the difference when he just delivers the script, and when he actually cares about something.

spliced

Just been catching up a bit on this and I think the staff probably didn't get as much credit as they deserved when JS was there. The first segment doesn't feel as different with TN as I expected, I guess it mostly comes down to the writers and graphics department.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm really liking Trevor Noah. i find it hilarious whenever he essentially has the "i don't understand" gag or if he compares it to something in Africa. Just gives it a funny spin on it you wouldn't normally get from Jon Stewart.

but the show feels the same from a content standpoint still, which i really enjoy.

Haven't seen a single reshare from the new Daily Show in my of my social media feeds, which I take as a bad sign. Personally I stopped watching after the second week.

danielcw

Guests for the week of the 23rd 30th of November, 2015:
  • Monday: Spike Lee, writer & director
  • Tuesday: Chris Brown, musician
  • Wednesday: Lupita Nyong’o, actor
  • Thursday: Idris Elba, actor

EDIT: looks like there is a break this week

Jobbs

Banned
I don't dislike Trevor, but with Trevor and Larry the legendary era of Jon and Steven is truly over. I'd go so far as to say that Larry Wilmore kind of sucks.

While Trevor is okay, he just seems to lack the authority of Jon and continually feels out of place in the seat. The only -- The ONLY -- Jon replacement I've seen that actually feels right as a Jon replacement -- Is Jon Oliver, and that ship has sailed.

It takes a very specific tonality to be both authoritative and funny, sarcastic with just the right amount of self deprecation -- And Jon Oliver has it down. Even though the format of his show is different, it feels like the spiritual successor to TDS to me.

gabbo

Was there a rerun tonight, because the comedy network had Just For Laughs on (their usual DS substitute) and I don't recall Trevor mentioning the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom