• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielcw

For those of you in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, you can watch the show on http://www.comedycentral.tv/
Maybe people from other countries can try the same.

If you know of another official URL, leave it here, please.
Even if you think it should be an obvious one.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Tonight's episode is really good, from the opening to the Ted Cruz segment.

Not

Banned
Why does Salon.com or Slate or whoever have it out for Noah so hard? Everytime I visit there I always see an anti-TDS article in the headlines

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The absolute ethering of Cruz had my sides hurting. That 13 hour Cruz footage must be the biggest cringe-fest ever. And the quote from his college roommate... Just damnnnn

The absolute ethering of Cruz had my sides hurting. That 13 hour Cruz footage must be the biggest cringe-fest ever. And the quote from his college roommate... Just damnnnn

Everyone hates that scum bag. I wouldn't be surprised if his family hates his guts too.

So I think I'm starting to understand the deal with Trevor Noah. There was this awkwardness to things, a lot of it certainly was me just missing Jon Stewart, and he certainly is still growing into the role. He still has to work on his comedic timing and inflections. I do see him getting better though.

But mainly I think the writers aren't writing to Noah's strong suit. I was listening to the writing and I realized it hadn't really changed. They're writing Noah's script as if it was still Jon Stewart was still saying it.

They've got the same sort of ranting outrage written that Jon Stewart would do, but Noah's not that that kind of comedian. He's more low key and observational.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I thought Trevor's gushing fanboyism for Idris Elba was all sorts of adorable. Probably because Idris Elba is really legit damn badass, so I can understand. But it was cute how he was just dude you're so cool I have such a crush on you. :)

I know mostly Elba from The Wire, so I think it's the first time I hear him with his native accent. And daaaamn that voice.... <_<

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jon Stewart is really, after all of these years, not trying to place any of the blame on Republicans for not passing the health care funding for first responders after 9/11.

That entire segment did not have the word Republican in the title graphics or in spoken word.

Like, it was a condition for him to guest star on the show that they can't say it's republicans who won't let it pass.

Edit: Second segment does list (R) in the title graphic.
The last segment was brutally sad :(

Edit2:
In the defense of Jon and the Daily Show, they did hit Paul Ryan, and in particular Mitch McConnell really hard, but the word Republican was never spoken once.
If it's politics like Stewart said it was, then perhaps you need to name and place some blame at least one of the groups?

gabbo

I thought Trevor's gushing fanboyism for Idris Elba was all sorts of adorable. Probably because Idris Elba is really legit damn badass, so I can understand. But it was cute how he was just dude you're so cool I have such a crush on you. :)

I know mostly Elba from The Wire, so I think it's the first time I hear him with his native accent. And daaaamn that voice.... <_<

Only as Stringer? get yourself some Luther. Worth every second.
It's truly sad that Jon has to make this case every few years, but it's not shocking to see politicians of all stripes (though mainly right-wingers) parade troops and responders around like heroes and then toss them out with the trash when the cameras are off. I thiknk that's worse actually, that it's not shocking anymore

danielcw

Guests for the week of the 7th of December, 2015:
  • Monday: Jon Stewart, activist?
  • Tuesday: Thomas Perez, U.S. SECRETARY OF LABOR
  • Wednesday: Marion Cotillard, ACTRESS
  • Thursday: Michael Strahan, TELEVISION HOST & AUTHOR

danielcw

Edit2:
In the defense of Jon and the Daily Show, they did hit Paul Ryan, and in particular Mitch McConnell really hard, but the word Republican was never spoken once.
If it's politics like Stewart said it was, then perhaps you need to name and place some blame at least one of the groups?

Well, I guess the poit is, it not Democrats or Republicans who are bad. Bad are certain politicions. The shame and blame should focus on teh politicions, and not the parties, unless you can show, that the party as a whole supports the bad behaviour.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jon Stewart is really, after all of these years, not trying to place any of the blame on Republicans for not passing the health care funding for first responders after 9/11.

That entire segment did not have the word Republican in the title graphics or in spoken word.

Like, it was a condition for him to guest star on the show that they can't say it's republicans who won't let it pass.

Edit2:

You think he'll get McConnell's or Ryan's support for the bill if he reframes it as a Political or ideological issue?

This should be a bipartisan issue.

Edit2:

I literally thought I saw the wrong segment after reading your post. Nothing about that bit suggested, to me, that Stewart was trying to skirt around placing blame. To the contrary, it brought back the fury that's been lacking since Noah took over. I've actually enjoyed Noah's start a great deal, and think he'll do fine putting his own mark on the hosting gig, but Jon's unique blend of enraged idealist was his trademark. It was refreshing to see that again last night.

Suikoguy

You think he'll get McConnell's or Ryan's support for the bill if he reframes it as a Political or ideological issue?

This should be a bipartisan issue.

I literally thought I saw the wrong segment after reading your post. Nothing about that bit suggested, to me, that Stewart was trying to skirt around placing blame. To the contrary, it brought back the fury that's been lacking since Noah took over. I've actually enjoyed Noah's start a great deal, and think he'll do fine putting his own mark on the hosting gig, but Jon's unique blend of enraged idealist was his trademark. It was refreshing to see that again last night.

Alright, I can see the reason why.
I guess it comes down to the focus of our two party system versus the focus on ideas.

I'd love to focus on ideas versus parties, but that's more difficult when it's a two party system.

linsivvi

Alright, I can see the reason why.
I guess it comes down to the focus of our two party system versus the focus on ideas.

I'd love to focus on ideas versus parties, but that's more difficult when it's a two party system.

The point is there are enough votes to get the bill passed, so there must be some Republican support. It's better to place the blame squarely on the two persons who won't bring up the vote.

Suikoguy

The point is there are enough votes to get the bill passed, so there must be some Republican support. It's better to place the blame squarely on the two persons who won't bring up the vote.

That's fair. I guess i'm getting a bit jaded.

Is it just me or is having Jon back so soon a really weird look? Like, I get it's for a good cause, but it's still weird. I wonder if it means there's a lack of confidence in Trevor somewhere at the show.

RoKKeR

Is it just me or is having Jon back so soon a really weird look? Like, I get it's for a good cause, but it's still weird. I wonder if it means there's a lack of confidence in Trevor somewhere at the show.

The issue they are focused on is a time sensitive one, which I think explains why he was back so soon. (the vote is this week)

If it were meant to boost the show's ratings or get more exposure, I think it would have been advertised ahead of time. My (completely speculative) guess is that, because this specific cause is something Jon is personally passionate about and has previously been a public figurehead for, he asked the show if he could drop in to do a segment about it given the Congressional standstill, and they said yes because there's really no downside. I wouldn't expect it to be a regular occurrence though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I was imaging they were purposefully actually keeping Jon away in order to give Trevor space and time to really take ownership of the show and put his own stamp on it.

I actually expected his first appearance to be about a year in, which would be a great chance for them both to speak to and reflect on the last year for each of them.

However, given the nature of this appearance and the urgent call to action, it's understandable they might have thrown that notion if they had it out the window, especially if Jon was calling in a favor. It's too important (and personal) an issue to worry about the optics of an "early" return to the show. I don't see it as a lack of confidence in Trevor at all.

Jon's guest spot felt sort of weird, but the message it conveyed was definitely worthwhile. Worst responders cannot be allowed to continue.

...It was great to see Jon again.

RoKKeR

Segment on Donald Trump being White ISIS was absolutely incredible. Kind of want to make a new thread about it.

gabbo

Segment on Donald Trump being White ISIS was absolutely incredible. Kind of want to make a new thread about it.

Yes it was. I feel like someone needs to make a ISIS/Trump comparison chart like Saudi Arabia so richly deserved and float that around the net.

linsivvi

Jordan Klepper is basically playing the same role as Jason Jones and in my opinion he's better at it.

Ronny Chieng on the other hand is just terribly unfunny.

Haven't seen Roy for a while or maybe I missed it.

gabbo

Jordan Klepper is basically playing the same role as Jason Jones and in my opinion he's better at it.

Ronny Chieng on the other hand is just terribly unfunny.

Haven't seen Roy for a while or maybe I missed it.

Jordan has really been getting a lot of correspondent roles, especially since they've gone back to having 'segments'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom