• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
What lows will they sink to next? Maybe they'll put a couch on the set then take it away and then put it back and the take it away again.

You know, really drive home that they have no clue what they're doing.

not-sure-if-fry-meme.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Maybe they could just have a big long desk and have the guest sit right next to JonTrevor

RoKKeR

How dare this Jon Stewart guy change things up. He should be grateful Craig Kilborn gave him this opportunity, now just keep the boat steady.

Nothing wrong with changing things up. I just happen to dislike this particular change. The more I watched I felt the stand-up thing was passable (is this a permanent thing) but I actually laughed at the song. Why change it? And why change it to some muffled over-produced garbage?

But the segment about Fox News was good, so (most) all is redeemed.

gabbo

Nothing wrong with changing things up. I just happen to dislike this particular change. The more I watched I felt the stand-up thing was passable (is this a permanent thing) but I actually laughed at the song. Why change it? And why change it to some muffled over-produced garbage?

But the segment about Fox News was good, so (most) all is redeemed.

The stand up intro, for. The song... WTF. I know he wants to exemplify the show having a new focus on music, but... that doesn't help.

Now puppets and dance numbers to open the show I'd be down for.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just noticed that they also changed up the black and silver globe. I know its a small detail but for some reason it stuck out to me tonight..

gabbo

I just noticed that they also changed up the black and silver globe. I know its a small detail but for some reason it stuck out to me tonight..

But will Neil deGrasse Tyson have to get on him for the globe spinning in the wrong direction?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why do you say that? I thought last night's episode was really good. Those militia men were hilarious, and I actually liked the interview even though I didn't care one bit about Creed.

Why do you say that? I thought last night's episode was really good. Those militia men were hilarious, and I actually liked the interview even though I didn't care one bit about Creed.

The humor fell completely flat. I'd argue that last nights scripted bits were somehow worse than The Nightly Show's (which is always the opposite).

I know it gets sais alot but FUCK FOX NEWS!!! really!? doubting obama was really crying while talking about the death of children from newtown!! fucking really!? makes me so damn sick!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That moment right after the emotional Obama clip was very powerful, perhaps the most since the new series started. You can already see how Trevor has started to evolve into his new role, and we are not even a year into it yet.

Also: That shoe segment was fantastic.

RoKKeR

Catching up last night and FUCK FOX NEWS. Absolute fucking scum, and Trevor killed that segment.

Fuck, it makes me so mad these shit heads have a platform to spew their bullshit with no leash.

Catching up last night and FUCK FOX NEWS. Absolute fucking scum, and Trevor killed that segment.

Fuck, it makes me so mad these shit heads have a platform to spew their bullshit with no leash.
Came to post this holy shit that was bad wow insane that you have 0 hart like you don't give a fuck about children being shot dead.

wow insane.

danielcw

Guests for the week beginning on the 11th of January, 2016
  • Monday: Colin Quinn, actor & comedian
  • Tuesday: Greg Gutfeld, author, tv personality
  • Wednesday: Tavis Smily, PBS host & author
  • Thursday: Ice Cube, rapper & actor

I still have to catch up on last week.

But will Neil deGrasse Tyson have to get on him for the globe spinning in the wrong direction?
I thought the globe was spinning in the right direction since Trevor's first show. Did they change it back.
Of course this is assuming, that the camera is keeping the same relative position to the Earth and its sun. If the camera would be moving around the Earth, every wrong spin can be explained away

Palmer_v1

Bit late here but I don't like the way it opens with him doing a bit of standup now. Makes it feel more like a talk show and less like fake cable news...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think the reason the stand up open doesnt work is because he sits down later.

if he wants it to be like some CNN cable news mirror, he has to have a standing desk or whatever and be more like a talking head rather than seeing him sit at a desk.

sitting at a desk like that is very late 90s news. Now they have the camera chest-high and/or standing desks (clear desks) or very tall stools to make it appear like they are standing.

gabbo

Guests for the week beginning on the 11th of January, 2016
  • Monday: Colin Quinn, actor & comedian
  • Tuesday: Greg Gutfeld, author, tv personality
  • Wednesday: Tavis Smily, PBS host & author
  • Thursday: Ice Cube, rapper & actor

I still have to catch up on last week.

I thought the globe was spinning in the right direction since Trevor's first show. Did they change it back.
Of course this is assuming, that the camera is keeping the same relative position to the Earth and its sun. If the camera would be moving around the Earth, every wrong spin can be explained away

I actually looked at this a couple of times, it appears that they actually have it spinning correctly with Trevor.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm so glad they gave Oak Flat some coverage. Fuck John McCain.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Trevor better go hard on this jackass.

I assume this was not a smooth interview as it ended up being obviously heavily edited? Overall I was disappointed it lacked more substance, and I assume that the unedited web version (which I assume exists) isn't much better.

I'm still liking Trevor and feel he is holding up, but interviews are definitely his weaker point. As said earlier in the thread, he just doesn't have the same knowledge of the material as Stewart meaning it's harder for him to challenge or press an interviewee. Am sure he'll come into his own here over time, but for now interviews just seem like a one way platform for the interviewee and Trevor slinging the odd joke into the mix.

Suikoguy

Election gambling is great, but it needs a per person cap of like 1 thousand dollars or something.

Tonight's was good. Palin's an easy target, but Trevor makes it easy to laugh with him.

Catching the show every now and then, I like Trevor a lot and feel that he has acclimated as a news show host fairly quickly. He hasn't gone in hard on guests like Stewart has at his best, but that's something that will take time and significant balls of steel to build up to. I hope that comedy central is confident in him and keeps him on a while.

Suikoguy

Not so much "balls" as experience and knowledge.

You can't ask the tough questions without first being able to give it some type of answer, and being able to answer a rebuttal.

undrtakr900

^^^ Agreed, I loved T.Noah since the very first episode's opening segment(s) 8)

What lows will they sink to next? Maybe they'll put a couch on the set then take it away and then put it back and the take it away again.

You know, really drive home that they have no clue what they're doing.
Omfg, this made me laugh out loud xD

Don't forget a random guy in the back sleeping on the couch (??)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Are the ratings that bad?

The numbers are undeniably down, but I wouldn't define them as bad, either.

Noah pulls about 800 to 900 thousand people a night, where Stewart usually did about 1.3 million or so. I think the drop in traditional viewership is because of a couple of things: Noah appeals more to the crowd that primarily views this stuff online (and Comedy Central has confirmed that their online numbers are way up) and the ratings were always going to go down as people saw Stewart's departure as a good stopping point (only a big name like Louis C.K. could have possibly prevented this, but even then maybe only partially, and it's obvious people with "star power" didn't want the job.).

Here's the thing, though: ratings are important but profitability is even more so. The show is now significantly cheaper to produce, which means the bar is now set a bit lower. Comedy Central is going to give him the time he needs and I think he'll eventually get that moment where he can step up and prove that he's "next level."

Silexx

Noah pulls about 800 to 900 thousand people a night, where Stewart usually did about 1.3 million or so. I think the drop in traditional viewership is because of a couple of things: Noah appeals more to the crowd that primarily views this stuff online (and Comedy Central has confirmed that their online numbers are way up) and the ratings were always going to go down as people saw Stewart's departure as a good stopping point (only a big name like Louis C.K. could have possibly prevented this, but even then maybe only partially, and it's obvious people with "star power" didn't want the job.).

Here's the thing, though: ratings are important but profitability is even more so. The show is now significantly cheaper to produce, which means the bar is now set a bit lower. Comedy Central is going to give him the time he needs and I think he'll eventually get that moment where he can step up and prove that he's "next level."

Yep, that's what is important here. Remember that Jon Stewart was the highest paid late night host on TV. Comedy Central reportedly were ready to give Jon $40 million a year to stay. No way Trevor is making that kind of dough now. ;)

gabbo

This is more or less the assumption iwas under

OnPoint

I don't have a problem with changes, the stand-up style opening was weird but I could see it growing on me.

The new theme song though, just go the full distance and get a whole new theme song. It's just a mangled version of the previous song. It doesn't sound good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom