• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah |OT| same chair, different ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn00zer

Why is a South African guy who moved here for the first time 4 years ago the head of an American politics show? Especially considering all the other correspondents they could have chosen from.....like...anyone else really.

Why is a South African guy who moved here for the first time 4 years ago the head of an American politics show? Especially considering all the other correspondents they could have chosen from.....like...anyone else really.

220px-John_Oliver_Occupy_Wall_Street_2011_Shankbone.JPG

How long do you guys think it takes for a new host to get traction on a show? A few months?

It took Stewart way more than a few months to make the show something that's still watchable today. The Month of Zen had some eye opening 'what the fuck is Jon doing' segments in the early parts of his run.

Noah will either have to be dynamite or have his own "Indecision 2000" moment to build the same viewer loyalty.

Yeah true, thought it was weird when he got a show as well...... but his show ended up pretty good eventually.

Which is why you shouldn't automatically discount somebody heading up an American talk show just because they weren't born here. John Oliver, Craig Ferguson, etc.

Besides, it's not like he's firing all the dozens of Americans who already write for and perform on the Daily Show.

sn00zer

Which is why you shouldn't automatically discount somebody heading up an American talk show just because they weren't born here. John Oliver, Craig Ferguson, etc.
There is heading an American talk show and then there is hosting an American politics show, you better know your shit.

There is heading an American talk show and then there is hosting an American politics show, you better know your shit.

It's the Daily Show, it's not the McLaughlin Group or Meet The Press. It's still closer to being a general humor show than a strict, in-depth political wonk fest.

sn00zer

It's the Daily Show, it's not the McLaughlin Group or Meet The Press. It's still closer to being a general humor show than a strict, in-depth political wonk fest.
Yeah, but it has a history of getting pretty damn influential in American politics ie. Rally to Restore Sanity

kingocfs

My problem is going after gawker and buzzfeed kinda shifts the show more toward the pop culture, superficial news, celebrity gossip aspect of news(it would seem based on their material) instead of the political and social commentary that I think really built the fanbase it has. I'm not trying to watch The Soup.

Sure, but they are still going to cover politics. It's the same writing team as far as I know. His promos talk about the election a lot. The question is whether they can strike a good balance between the two.

Yeah, but it has a history of getting pretty damn influential in American politics ie. Rally to Restore Sanity

And foreign-born John Oliver's show has been creating more discussion and arguably having a greater impact in the United States on the issues his show raises than even the Daily Show.

And I like the Daily Show, but the Rally To Restore Sanity thing was kind of a wash. It happened, that was about it, and nobody talked about trying it again.

But these are not shows made entirely by their hosts. Jon Stewart's political knowledge and fact finding was heavily supported by a sizable, skilled staff of writers and researchers.

Silexx

Yeah im just kinda bummed they didnt go with any of the other correspondents whove been with the show for years.

Who says they didn't? They may have been offered, but refused. Jessica Williams has publicly said that she didn't want the job.

WillyFive

And I like the Daily Show, but the Rally To Restore Sanity thing was kind of a wash. It happened, that was about it, and nobody talked about trying it again.

Was there a need for trying it again? It was a parody of the Glenn Beck rally that got a far bigger audience than the original. It was a massive success; there was no reason for another rally.

And it's not like that's the only thing they've made. Their journalism on Super PAC's, I think, were much more important.

Sanjuro

....seriously? Guess it makes more sense then...bummer.
Still really curious why Wilmore got Nightly show instead of Daily Show.

I don't think Wilmore is a very broad personality. I like his show enough, but I kind of understand why his ratings are low. I'm just hoping Daily Show as a lead-in gives it a boost, at least initially.

The fear now is what if they both tank?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Not as an insult to Trevor, but I imagine they went through a long list of people who declined before they got to him.

I don't think Wilmore is a very broad personality. I like his show enough, but I kind of understand why his ratings are low. I'm just hoping Daily Show as a lead-in gives it a boost, at least initially.

The fear now is what if they both tank?

This is going to sound cynical; I suspect Comedy Central already plans on cancelling Wilmore but are holding off since pulling the plug as Trevor Noah is starting his run would be unseemly.

Man there sure is a lot of outrage in this thread, as soon as I heard Trevor was going to take over I went on a binder watching his stand up and he is really funny. Don't get what you guys are upset about.

Downhome

I don't care where the guy is from, how long he has been here, or even if he knows all that much about politics.

I just flat out don't think he's remotely funny from what I've seen so far.

That is all I really care about.

YoungHav

Banned
Not to sound cynical but Comedy Central took a gamble replacing Stewart and Colbert's slots with black hosts. There surely will be a ratings slips bc of it.

Some people really wanted Jordan Klepper to run... really? The only current correspondent IMO who could pull off hosting would be Jessica Williams.

I still feel Wilmore may have a good chance if he had held out a few months longer and been a contender for the Daily Show host. The problem with the Nightly Show is I'm still not a fan of the panel discussion format. And his on-air correspondents so far aren't great, with the exception of Mike Yard.

Agreed with this. Wilmore was one of my favorites (top 2 or 3) on TDS.

KingK

Not to sound cynical but Comedy Central took a gamble replacing Stewart and Colbert's slots with black hosts. There surely will be a ratings slips bc of it.

Some people really wanted Jordan Klepper to run... really? The only current correspondent IMO who could pull off hosting would be Jessica Williams.
Jessica Williams and Aasif were my top two choices, but i think Aasif left before Jon announced his retirement.

Kreed

So it looks like Viacom is pulling the same stunt they did with the MTV awards and is showing the Daily Show on all of their networks (Nick, TV Land, MTV, etc...).

....seriously? Guess it makes more sense then...bummer.
Still really curious why Wilmore got Nightly show instead of Daily Show.

Because Colbert made his announcement to leave before Jon left the Daily Show and they needed someone to take Colbert's spot. Larry Wilmore out of the rest of Jon's staff had the most TV show experience so he and his "Minority Report" idea was chosen.

loki 16

I love the Daily show with Jon Stewart and I was sad to see him go, but Trevor is a really funny comedian so I will definitely give his version of the daily show a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom